Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 22:19   #1
BANNED

elantra (base) or city

hey guys ...just wanted to ask you guys for your opions....i need to buy a car in the 8.5 to 9.3 lac range....a higher end city or a base elantra?.....and how come the elantra isnt seen much on roads...seems like a jolly good car..why doesnt it sell.....would be highly obliged if you could give me the pros and cons of both....my priorities are 1. mileage 2. looks 3. interiors in that order....suggest and alternate drives and models if possible....
thanks
cg
Old 4th December 2005, 22:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Elentra is not much on roads coz of looks the major factor and the second factor can be skoda, optra are the ones competing.

Also i would suggest you City if your are goin for a milleage. Interiors of city are good tooo... But city will never be able to compete with the features of Elentra...

Also i would like to suggest ya Ford Fiesta TDCi. Good car... Diesel average is around 20 - 22 in city (according to the dealers.). Interiors are good too.. Looks are gr8 too..
Old 4th December 2005, 22:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my priorities are 1. mileage 2. looks 3. interiors in that order
1. depends on purpose
if frequent highway long distance runs elantra common rail will win
if petrol models only Honda city
if city runabouts Honda city

2. out of the two Honda City (i assume you are talking about ZX)

3. Honda City - no questions about it
Old 4th December 2005, 22:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Hi,

Also i would like to suggest ya Ford Fiesta TDCi. Good car... Diesel average is around 20 - 22 in city (according to the dealers.). Interiors are good too.. Looks are gr8 too..
20kmpl in city?? Really? I dont think so.
Its highly unlikely to give those figures even on the highway when driven normally.

In between the city and elantra...i'd pick the elantra...sure it looks a little odd...but its a segment above the city...its more spacious, has more features, and you'l fall in love with that CRDi.
The city is a fine car...now looks a bit better too in the ZX guise.

Fuel efficiency...when the petrol variants are compared theres no beating the city. But if you are looking at diesels then it has to be the CRDi from hyundai.

Looks can be subjective but the city 'now' looks better than the elantra.

Interiors...well the city gxi sure has good interiors but then so does the elantra, but i find the city a better place to be in.

But one thing...are you buying diesel or petrol?
If its a petrol then i'd take the city...but diesel theres no contest. The elantra it is.
Fiesta is worth a look as well.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 4th December 2005 at 23:02.
Old 4th December 2005, 23:28   #5

Hi,

I had the same dilemma. But I am kind of leaning towards elantra (hence the user name). Mainly bcoz of the safety features. There is no equivalent to the safe feeling that you experience when you travel with your family by elantra.

Agreed that it doesn't look so good (I personally don't think city looks elegant either) and the mileage is low (8 - 10 kmpl). But the cons end there.

Honda is a good car too and has better reputation to make good cars. But something that really made me uncomfortable was an incident the dealer told me. He told me that he has a city to be repaired which was overturned & rolled when the brakes were applied at the speed of 120kmph. And fortunately nobody was hurt, it seems. And the owner's comment was that he was saved because of the car - city. But to me, the fact that city overturned at that speed, makes me uncomfortable to own that.

I am really surprised that not enough importance is given to safety features by anybody, including members of this forum. Why is that so?
Old 4th December 2005, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantra

I am really surprised that not enough importance is given to safety features by anybody, including members of this forum. Why is that so?
That is not true...most members swear by these safety features...try the search option regarding ABS, airbags other safety devices and you'l know.

Drifter
Old 4th December 2005, 23:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantra

Only because of the market demographics. As much as all of us appreciate the importance of safety features, easpecially the basic airbags and seatbelts, how many C segmenters do you really see equipped with airbags? The most popular segment is the B-B+ segment, besides the Swift I can't think of any other that offers them. Palio used to in the GTX SP, I don't know if they still do.

While most of us here take to wearing the seatblet for granted as soon as we hop into something that has them, the sheer disregard on the roads by people speaks otherwise, their only intent of buckling up is to save on the fine or the bribe. Only makes it easier for the manufacturers.
Old 5th December 2005, 01:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interiors...well the city gxi sure has good interiors but then so does the elantra, but i find the city a better place to be in.
quick question

if you own a car where will you be spending most of the time?
sitting inside car OR
staring car from outside

Quote:
And the owner's comment was that he was saved because of the car - city. But to me, the fact that city overturned at that speed, makes me uncomfortable to own that.
you can not make predictions based on single incident
Old 5th December 2005, 01:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is a subjective decision. U might wanna test-drive both the above cars and decide. If I were u, It would be a city because its a honda and not the elantra since its a hyundai.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygermans
hey guys ...just wanted to ask you guys for your opions....i need to buy a car in the 8.5 to 9.3 lac range....a higher end city or a base elantra?
....suggest and alternate drives and models if possible....
With that budget you would also get the 1.6 Optra Elite. Not as powerful as the Elantra, but more FE and IMO better looks, interiors.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Today's TOI I saw an ad for Elantra GTi for 6.88L, I guess that's ex-showroom price. That means you can get an Elantra for less than 8L on road. Amazing.
Old 5th December 2005, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yeah samurai i aslo saw that ad. But there were no details about what all is there (rather isnt there) in GTi. Couldnt find anything from their website either.
Old 5th December 2005, 12:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Yeah samurai i aslo saw that ad. But there were no details about what all is there (rather isnt there) in GTi. Couldnt find anything from their website either.
A 1.8L engine for sure. Man, now fiesta has a new rival to contend with. Given a choice between base Elantra and Fiesta 1.6 which one would people buy? Hyundai has much better A.S.S and more dealers than Ford.
Old 5th December 2005, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Yes I saw the ad too, mouth watering price. I am begining to like Elantra nowadays, maybe due to its unforced exclusivity.

Conan
Old 5th December 2005, 12:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Well if you look at the city top end, its the VTEC.
the base elantra is the GT(Petrol)
Looking at the price, city VTEC will cost around 9 on road, wherein base elantra will cost 8L on road.
If you are looking at FE. The vtec will give you 10kmpl where Elantra will manage 8-9. On highway VTEC will touch 18-19 with elantra at 12-14.

However if you go for Elantra crdi(this is fully loaded, ABS EBD Air bags etc.,) this will cost you 10L on road. but its a diesel and it will perform almost as good at the VTEC. Infact for city driving it will outperform the VTEC.

Moreover spare parts for Hyundais are cheap and a paid service costs 2500rs.
So the choice is yours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks