Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2005, 16:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

And I am even more surprised that no one has suggested or mentioned Optra 1.6 ELITE so far.
Old 8th December 2005, 16:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
8 lakhs, baleno is lower segment
There we go again .. problem of segment definition
Fiesta, Baleno, City, Accent 1.6 - same segment size-wise
Baleno, Swift, Ikon 1.6, Petra, Getz - same segment price-wise ..

And when we try find out a car for 10L , we do not look at the Elantra, since it belongs to a 'lower' segment ?

It's sooo confusing !
Old 8th December 2005, 16:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Fiesta, Baleno, Accent 1.6 are similar segment size and price , and none of them are 8L segment.
Thats Optra, City, Elantra.
This guy wants to spend 8L. Baleno is just 6L. Going by size Baleno and Octavia are similar in interior space. But then if somebody wants a car for 12L nobody will recommend City/Baleno etc.,

I believe is answering on basis of question.
If somebody says, I want a mid size car thats different from saying "I want to spend 8L and get a upper crust mid size car"
For example Indigo Petrol and Optra 1.8 are both midsizers, its the users choice of price which makes the decision as indigo petrol costs half that of optra

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th December 2005 at 16:22.
Old 8th December 2005, 16:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
i'm surprised .. no one suggesting the Baleno ??!
Me too! So what's the problem in saving some dough. 2lakhs(8-6) is a pretty handy amount to do many other things with you car or otherwise
He mentioned city driving.Baleno is probably the most driveable car in city bcoz of the loads of low end torque. Very decent City FE too.He is also concerned about ASS and maintenance. Servicing Baleno costs peanuts.Also the spare parts are the cheapest near esteemish levels.(ACI spare parts survey). Maruti's MASS are ubiquitous.

On a more serious note, if you gonna spend 8L and are looking for some snob value go for the Fully loaded Petrol Fiesta or the Diesel one(depending on usage) .Seems to be a very good allrounder.Fine balance b/w European build/comfort and Japanese like performance.A fresher product will also have good resale in the near future.
Old 8th December 2005, 16:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
On a more serious note,

I thought you were serious while recommending Baleno. Looks like a very good choice here..
Old 8th December 2005, 16:49   #21
BHPian

Hey sumed

I love the car but only one thing is that i have heard the city is not a performance car..Indeed i need it for city driving but jus that is it that bad in performance that i can only take it once in a while on the high ways.
Old 8th December 2005, 17:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Fiesta, Baleno, Accent 1.6 are similar segment size and price , and none of them are 8L segment...

I believe is answering on basis of question.
Very true .. I understood that his outside budget is 8L .. since he was not considering the VTec ..
He himself mentioned that he is considering the Fiesta, Accent, Fusion .. so he is obviously looking to spend < 8L if it meets his purpose .. hence you see I too was trying to answer his query ..

The Elantra and the Optra, both would cost over 8L.
Old 8th December 2005, 17:00   #23
BHPian

The fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Me too! So what's the problem in saving some dough. 2lakhs(8-6) is a pretty handy amount to do many other things with you car or otherwise
He mentioned city driving.Baleno is probably the most driveable car in city bcoz of the loads of low end torque. Very decent City FE too.He is also concerned about ASS and maintenance. Servicing Baleno costs peanuts.Also the spare parts are the cheapest near esteemish levels.(ACI spare parts survey). Maruti's MASS are ubiquitous.

On a more serious note, if you gonna spend 8L and are looking for some snob value go for the Fully loaded Petrol Fiesta or the Diesel one(depending on usage) .Seems to be a very good allrounder.Fine balance b/w European build/comfort and Japanese like performance.A fresher product will also have good resale in the near future.

My concern in buying the fiesta is the spares cost and the ASS..also it being a new product,has not been tried n tested...Am coughing up the dough all by myself so am being very careful in investing.
Old 8th December 2005, 17:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
And I am even more surprised that no one has suggested or mentioned Optra 1.6 ELITE so far.
Could you let me know the on road price of the optra in mumbai.
Also how is the ASS and the spares cost.Also fuel efficiency is a concern to me..lemme know
Old 8th December 2005, 17:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

@miked, I am not the right person to ask for Mumbai. Any Optra owners from Mumbai?
Old 8th December 2005, 17:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I thought you were serious while recommending Baleno. Looks like a very good choice here..
Yes,I was serious while recommending the Baleno.Actually i meant the Fiesta if we wanted to spend 8L and not less and wanted novelty and snob value.
Quote:
My concern in buying the fiesta is the spares cost and the ASS..also it being a new product,has not been tried n tested...
Quote:
Also how is the ASS and the spares cost.Also fuel efficiency is a concern to me
Quote:
Am coughing up the dough all by myself so am being very careful in investing
With these criteria the Baleno and the NHC seem to be good choices. But as you mentioned you will have to sacrifice performance in NHC.
In that case go for the Baleno. It has the ASS, low spare cost, FE and city driveability you are looking for. And it will give you maximum bang for your buck. See if you are ok with the looks and the interiors.
Drive all the cars for an extended period of time and then decide.
Old 8th December 2005, 20:57   #27

Fiesta Diesel... tis a baby

Hey Mike,

Looks like you need a car with good low end torque especially for city driving, a solid performer on the highway and last but not the least fuel economy. Well seems like the Fiesta Diesel could be the right car for you, its just this side of 8lakhs on road, with abs could go over 8, BTW did u catch the speed auto show on CNBC this week. Both Renuka and Hormarzd were gung ho about it and scored it above the city.... give it a spin and make up ur mind... believe me this baby is as refined as a petrol and personally I love the looks, especially looks svelte from the side. But ur apprehension is not misplaced since u said apna paisa hai bhai... Renuka thinks the fiesta diesel is a choice u can make with ur eyes closed if that makes it easier, especially since its expected to be great on fuel economy without compromising too much on the drive feel, which is what i miss in a city... my bets are on fiesta diesel for sure

personally I love all abt the city except its performance... which is the only reason I would buy a car anyway... and personally I think Ford machines are more driving enjoyment oriented than most.

Baleno has everything but refinement me thinks and its a tad old now... but a performer nonetheless, so great VFM

My vote is obvious since am FIDA... but do tell us after ur testdrive results dude.

Cheers
Abhijeet
Old 9th December 2005, 09:57   #28
Team-BHP Support

what about the Optra 1.6 VGIS. I saw an add for 7.99. ok after taxes it might be more. but the VGIS engine is good, the rear seat comfort is good.

I'd choose between the Fiesta, City ZX and Optra.
Old 9th December 2005, 12:24   #29
BHPian

mike!

the Accent VIVA CRDi is a great option for a city car too, u could have great power, fuel economy, and a great car too.

Or if its Petrol u are after...then
1.Mileage!!! - Fiesta rocks!
2.Power! - Elantra Petrol base model.!
Old 9th December 2005, 12:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a Diesel, go for the Elantra. And if you have those 8 lakhs and want to spend on a petrol, then my heart would say Optra 1.6, while my head would say Honda City.

Most Viewed