Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 13:59   #1

One year Old Chevrolet Cruze LTZ

There is an acquaintance who can possibly sell his One year Old LTZ cruze if he gets a good offer. No this car has done no more than 10 k Kms and its brand new actually.

I'm myself wanting to buy a new car and was looking at the new FIAT T-Jet or the Vento Diesel, as these are really an enthusiast's delight.

- I drive not more than 1500 kms per month
- Need an good handling car to replace my Ikon Flair. I like to drive spiritedly and a car which can be pushed around curves is the one i'm looking for.
- Currently only three cars meet my requirements - Punto 90 HP (a lil sluggish tho), T Jet & Vento Diesel.
- My budget is max 10 lacs.

Now, will the CRUZE stand firm on these needs?

The reason i'm tempted on this is that i love 1 year old deals esp on expensive cars. They lose a lot in the first year on depreciation without any wear or tear. Infact, the run in has also happened

Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 14:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going to be interesting. Would love to know the final price that you will get this car for if you decide to purchase it.

When it was released the price of this car was lower and there was a good hike to price later on. And, its well known info that up north the ex-showroom prices are the lowest.

But, 10 Lakhs for an LTZ with such low running? I am thinking its very unlikely
Old 21st October 2010, 16:17   #3
BHPian

The Cruze will surely stand being pushed around the curves, the steering is very well weighted.
However, why don't you take a test drive & decide on the driveability of the car for yourself? It will clear most of your underlying doubts for sure.
Maybe you should test drive the Cruze & the T-Jet back to back. The power of the T-Jet coupled with the brilliant handling is to die for :o)
Old 21st October 2010, 16:52   #4
BHPian

I don't think you might get such a low run Cruze LTZ for that price. 11-11.5 would be a more realistic figure. If you can stretch it, go buy it
Old 21st October 2010, 17:51   #5
BHPian

For 10 lakhs your best bet would be Linea T-jet, also your running is not too high. It will also handle well on curves and twists. Cruze is a monster for highways and killing straight lines at an amazing pace. With nice set of tires cruze is good for cornering as well. However there are 2 points which might go against cruze:
1. You might not be able to get LTZ in 10 lakhs. You'll have to up the budget atleast by one lakh.
2. Linea is more confidence inspiring at corners however having said that cruze has better high speed manners.

Purely for the kick in the pants feel...well cruze any day!
Old 21st October 2010, 18:06   #6
BHPian

The Achilles heel of the cruze

Turn the front wheels full out and feel for the rubber grommet that covers the brake bleeder nipple. It should be at arm pit level when sitting down. Shake it up and down and side to side. If there is play then its better to pester him to get it replaced before buying it. Do it for each side. This is a common issue for all Cruzes including ones that have been released last week in Cochin. I got my 10000 km service done yesterday.
Just to inform you that this issue is not there in any of the other cars from the GM stable including 2 lakh kilometer run Tavera's. Its peculiar to the Cruze alone. The end result of the loose brake caliper pin is a rattle at speeds of 20km and beyond when going over rough roads especially over a small but sharp bump on the road for example left over tar blobs. Please note I am not talking about brake chatter which is not there in the Cruze but specifically of the whole caliper assembly being loose due to design fault or metallurgical fault. I have this issue in my Cruze and they are trying their best to find a permanent solution but to no avail for the last 10000 km. I noticed this issue at 50 km on the odometer and complained to them at 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000, and 10000 km. Living with this irritating issue which thankfully does not affect braking.
Old 21st October 2010, 19:04   #7

Thanks for the comments.

I took a test drive of the cruze today and man on man!! it trumps the Tjet by a distance. Driving it in delhi traffic was such a waste. Its made for the US. the steering is well weighted and the power is mind blowing. On top of it the bells and whistles are just too much, and for someone like me who loves technology and settings etc. owing a cruze will be a lot of fun.

Current OTR is 15 lacs in delhi but till last year it was probably around 13. 15-20 % depreciation is a norm for such cars in the first year. So i'm guessing, yes, budget has to be more like 11 lacs.

Not that i cant stretch it but it feels a tad insecure spending so much on a car, especially when 5 days out of 7 it will be used as a daily commuter.

I did test drive the Cruze and Boy o boy....it trumps the T jet in straight line power, Seat comfort, sturdiness and obviously the gizmos. Also, i like the gray finish than the beige so much more.

There was so much power that i was feeling a little nervous..eventhough i consider myself an enthusiast. Realized that enthusiastic driving is not really racing

I think the price has to be more like 11.5 lacs, considering 20 % depreciation in the first year itself.

I'm thinking..why not drive my Flair for another 7-8 months, save the money and buy a new cruze later. Seriously, if one has to buy a car there in this segment, it has to be the cruze.
Old 21st October 2010, 20:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Please do take a spin in a Laura Tsi also once. Since you like the Cruze so much im suggesting try out the Laura too.
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:56   #9
BHPian

i would say blindly buy it!!
i.e if you are getting it 10 lacs, since u already know the seller..

should be a better deal than buyin a new one down the line
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
i would say blindly buy it!!
i.e if you are getting it 10 lacs, since u already know the seller..

should be a better deal than buyin a new one down the line
+1. . Know the chap selling it, know the car's history, falls in the budget, then take the plunge!!

As you said, the car has just run-in.
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-head View Post
There is an acquaintance who can possibly sell his One year Old LTZ cruze if he gets a good offer. No this car has done no more than 10 k Kms and its brand new actually.

- My budget is max 10 lacs.

Now, will the CRUZE stand firm on these needs?
The resale value of CRUZE is pathetic. It (market value) won't be more than 10 lacs IMO. At least, that's how it would be in hyderabad.
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
The resale value of CRUZE is pathetic. It (market value) won't be more than 10 lacs IMO. At least, that's how it would be in hyderabad.
This is interesting. Why would that be as there are absolutely no Cruzes in the second hand market yet to validate this point?

@ Akshay - I havent thought about the laura as its way out of my budget and there is no one i know selling a one year old

@ drpullock - Where is the brake bleeder nipple? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Turn the front wheels full out and feel for the rubber grommet that covers the brake bleeder nipple. It should be at arm pit level when sitting down. Shake it up and down and side to side. If there is play then its better to pester him to get it replaced before buying it. Do it for each side. This is a common issue for all Cruzes including ones that have been released last week in Cochin. I got my 10000 km service done yesterday.
I am close to 3000kms now with my Cruze. I dont have this problem at all. Thank god

Quote:
I took a test drive of the cruze today and man on man!! it trumps the Tjet by a distance.
Though i havent driven the T-Jet yet. But, i agree there would be "no comparison" to a 110PS petrol engine with a 150PS turbo diesel with a whopping 32kgm of torque.

Quote:
I'm thinking..why not drive my Flair for another 7-8 months, save the money and buy a new cruze later. Seriously, if one has to buy a car there in this segment, it has to be the cruze.
Oh you drive a flair? I am sure driving a Cruze after that was mind blowing experience. I used to drive a Pete'd Viva with 100bhp and after that test drove the Cruze and didnt think twice. No other car can come anywhere closer with regards to performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Please do take a spin in a Laura Tsi also once. Since you like the Cruze so much im suggesting try out the Laura too.
That would be another potent engine. Laura TSi, he would go bankrupt just by feeding it with petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Are you speaking from experience? Do elaborate why you say this? There could be one odd here or there for sale. I check Deccan Chronicle classifieds each sunday, I did not see any Cruze in second hand market yet.

FYI, LTZ ( Manual) OTR Hyderabad is priced at 15.25 Lakhs, so what is pathetic resale price according to you?

Being such a potent car, i dont foresee lot of them coming in preowned market anytime sooner.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Are you speaking from experience? Do elaborate why you say this? There could be one odd here or there for sale. I check Deccan Chronicle classifieds each sunday, I did not see any Cruze in second hand market yet.
Yes. Speaking from my own 1st hand experience. This is my buddy's car- as he is leaving the country, he is trying to sell that off. It's 6 mos old car. I visited almost 12 used car dealer with him.
BTW, there was one in last Sunday's DC.
Quote:
FYI, LTZ ( Manual) OTR Hyderabad is priced at 15.25 Lakhs, so what is pathetic resale price according to you?
yes. I know this very well. I suggest you to compare the resale of Honda CIVIC or Toyota corolla with CRUZE. You will find that out by yourself.
Quote:
Being such a potent car, i dont foresee lot of them coming in preowned market anytime sooner.
I couldn't get this one - what is the relationship between the car being potent and coming into the pre-owned market.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mohandas, resale value perception differs from person to person. Care to share what was expected by your friend and what was offered by dealers.

Btw, if you visit dealers, its but obvious that you will get a bad deal. If your friend wants to sell his car for a good price, he should target individuals. But, if he cannot due to time constraints, then it's too bad for him.

With regards to my reference of being potent and that car not coming into used market is related in a lot of way. If you own and drive that car for sometime, you will know that you wont sell a car that is so amazingly good at performance within one year unless its an emergency as your friend is currently in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks