Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 10:25   #1
BHPian

Something's gotta give...

Greetings Tbhpians,

My father, who just got retired needs to buy a car, early next year, to take the place of his official car. He already owns a Wagon R and intents to keep the same. The budget is 6.5 ~ 7.0 lakhs, and the main consideration is a diesel sedan. Apart from this factor, what is being looked for are good ride quality and good build quality.

The contenders works out to be:
1) Dzire VDi (A good car IMHO, good engine, decent comfort and features)
2) Fiesta TDCi EXi (My personal choice, good mileage, decent engine, good build quality)
3) Manza Aqua Qjet (No idea about the product, although a very capacious car and a good engine, though trim/plastic parts are nothing to write home about)

Although I would ask dad to test drive the Dzire and the Fiesta and take the decision, I have an alternate solution, slightly offbeat. We can sell off the Wagon R at 1.5~1.75 lakhs and increase the budget to 9 lakhs, and then think of two cars. The only plausible option, if considered brand new cars works out to be:

1) Accent Executive (5.1 lakhs ) + Vista TDi Terra (3.9 lakhs)
2) Ikon 1.3 Rocam (5 lakhs) + Vista TDi Aqua (4.1 lakhs)
3) Dzire VXi ( 5.4 lakhs ) + Indica V2 DLS ( 3.7 lakhs)
4) Punto 1.2 Dynamic (4.5 lakhs) + Figo TDCi EXi (4.8 lakhs) (not ideal, as none of them is a sedan)

What do you think, guys? I have opted out of Fabia, because of costly spares and limited A$$ ( I drive an i10 and my friend's Fabia 1.4 in general,
absolutely love the Fabia).I haven't considered used cars in general, as we don't get "pre worshiped" cars easily here in our hometown, Guwahati. Plus, I want parents to have a hassle free ownership. My personal favorite amongst the options are the Accent and the Vista Terra TDi, combo. The mid size Hyundai provide a good blend of comfort, reliability, quality and A$$. While the Vista is a spacious car, which can be chauffeured along.

Your help would be highly solicited.
Thanks in advance
Old 11th November 2010, 11:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Since you are in Guwahati, I am assuming that you would not have a vast coverage of A.S.S centres. Do look around to know the reputation of the service center of all manufacturers.

E.g. If there is only one Ford A.S.S, then it will have a monopoly and might not offer good service. And if that is what you find, stay away from ford.

If I had been in your place, I would have bought a Maruti / Hyundai / Tata.

While considering the Accent, please do note that its a relatively low stance car and ingress / egress might be tough for your retired parents. Do check that out extensively during the TD

Edit: My suggestion - Exisitng WagonR, if in good shape. Plus a new Dzire

Last edited by Eddy : 11th November 2010 at 11:02.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:06   #3
BHPian

Yes, the thing about the low stance seems to be valid.
The Wagon R, although in a good shape, will start to have niggles cropping up.
Maybe two hatchbacks seems decent. Considering more upright stance.
Well, life sure is confusing if you try to know more.
Thanks for the help though, Eddy.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:24   #4
BHPian

Its a wagonR the grown up version of the 800 on steroids. Personally I drive one and love the ease of use. So I know what your dad would mean if he said no way will I sell it. I have old parents and for them ingress-egress of the car is very important. Plus its a maruti KEEP IT! Mine's almost 6 now and in top condition(touch wood) and still on its first pair of shoes.

IMHO the ford is a brilliant bargain and for not a lot more than the figo you get the fiesta which is a MUCH comfier car. When it comes to the swift its really not up my tree. Apologies to anyone else. But neither do I like the way it looks(behind) or the way it drives. The extra weight kills the sprightly engine. Look at the punto since you have a tata dealer around. Brilliant build and fantastic value. I like the linea but somehow found the punto more comfy and more alive even though I TD a petrol with a broken ac(customer accident) and underpowered-unserviced engine (too many TD from that showroom) I was shocked then because it was running just fine in almost top shape and I was able to predict precisely how long it had been since the lst service. I like predictability.

Well the other option of the manza. Love the space but not the anything else. And the vista. Well I like it but the handlings not up my tree. From my side keep wagonR and buy a fiesta or a punto. Both will serve you well.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:43   #5
BHPian

Fiesta for self driving. Manza if chaffeured. Fiesta will be around 7.5 lakh otr i think. slightly more than the budget you have put.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Keep the points mentioned by Eddy in mind. If there is only one *** of a company and the others are far away, do consider how good they are.

If your father is going to be chauffeur driven, consider the Manza (again consider TASS). Else forget everything and go for a safe bet-Dzire.

Save for the looks and the occasional rattles,the car is good.Its a practical no nonsense everyday car.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying 2 new cars makes little sense. Keep the WagonR and buy the Dzire or the Manza. Maruti if you want peace of mind and hassle free ownership; the Tata if you want unmatched rear bench room and a "big car" look. Fiesta is not particularly renowned for its diesel variant, plus there is teh service element, which is an unknown.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
The mid size Hyundai provide a good blend of comfort, reliability, quality and A$$. While the Vista is a spacious car, which can be chauffeured along.
I would suggest you retain your Wagon-R and opt for a Manza Quadra. Manza is a total VFM, best rear seat comfort in the segment + nice engine. I dont think an Accent( dated) + Vista(due for facelift) would be a great combo. I think a sedan would be an better option for being chauffeured around. My vote goes for Manza.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:00   #9
BHPian

Well thanks a ton guys.
It seems Manza is gathering many votes.
For sure it has class leading comfort levels.
But, there is a 'but'.

A help needed... "how is the Fiesta's cabin room, esp. the rear seats roominess, compared to Dzire?"
Old 12th November 2010, 12:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Well thanks a ton guys.
But, there is a 'but'.

A help needed... "how is the Fiesta's cabin room, esp. the rear seats roominess, compared to Dzire?"
There are always buts (and plenty of ifs as well )

My suggestion- you just have 3 cars on your shortlist. Go TD all of them with parents in tow this weekend. And then go with what feels best!
Old 12th November 2010, 13:15   #11
BHPian

Fiesta rear seats roominess better than dzire. but not as good as the manza. The fiesta diesel is renowned for it's refinement and drivability. I have always preferred the tdci to the FGT MJD in the city or highway because of the refinement. it's also a good bargain at the current price and a very good driver's car if you are not going to exceed 130 too frequently.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:24   #12
BHPian

It seems the option of getting a petrol sedan and an entry level diesel hatch is not being favored.

So it seems, a TD will suffice in making the decision.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Ask your father to keep the Wagon-R and flog it. And with 7 lakhs to spare, the only car I'd recommend to you is a Maruti Swift Dzire or perhaps, an Indigo Manza Qjet.

Don't look at Fiats and Fords. After Sales and Service centers would be few and the dealership would take advantage of that fact. Although Fiats are serviced by Tata, there isn't much you can choose from, from their list of cars. Unless you sell-off the Wagon-R and decide to keep one sedan instead of two cars. In that case, the Linea T-Jet is the automatic choice.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Will your dad drive the car, or would they be being chauffered?

Manza offers best back seat comfort, and if your parents will always occupy rear seats, go for Manza. It is really comfortable and roomy.

If he is more keen on driving the car by himself, take him for a TD of Manza, Fiesta and DZire.

My personal pick will be Manza.

Last edited by theexperthand : 12th November 2010 at 14:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks