Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 14:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which Sedan for an elderly Doctor?

Before I start my story, I would like to let everyone know that I'm the Fleet Manager for all the vehicles in my extended family with responsibilities of purchase, maintenance et al.

My F-I-L has been itching to replace the Palio 1.2 that he drives for the last 2 years. But our insistence on continuance and coupled with either inadequate or too expensive has been putting a spanner in his plan. And in certain case when almost everything was certain about the purchase, my M-I-L had put her foot down. Currently M-I-L uses a Alto and my F-I-L a Palio.

I was sitting at office in the morning trying to clear off the mails when I see my phone ring. It was my F-I-L on line and he sounded really excited. He wanted to know my opinion about the Toyota Etios. I told him that its an excellent car for the price that it is coming at. I ask him if he intends to buy and his response is yes but sometime in the beginning of 2012. (Yes you read it right. 2012). I keep the phone down thinking that this is another of F-I-L's brainwave.

And then I get a call from him again around 1PM asking me to help him in his choice as he is planning to pick up in the 1st week of February. And his thinking was endorsed by my M-I-L as well. I told him to postpone his purchase to March in order to get financial year end discounts.

The budget, usuage and requirement in the car areas follows:

Budget: Rs.7.5 Lakhs OTR ( Since this is going to paid cash, not much scope of jugglery here)

Usuage: Daily run of about 5 Kms to the Clinic and weekend run of about 80 Kms to the Farm House. The existing Palio has done 33k in 7 Years. (My Bolero in comparison has done 35k in 19 Months).

Vehicles in Preliminary List:
  1. Toyoto Etios VX
  2. Tata Indigo Manza Petrol
  3. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (This will be my choice )
  4. Chevrolet Aveo 1.6

I would to have some advice from people here regarding the following:
  1. How is the Manza Petrol?
  2. When is the new Fiesta coming?
  3. Will there be good discounts in March?
  4. How reliable is Aveo 1.6?
  5. Are there any automatics in this segment apart from SX4 and Corolla?

Please post your inputs.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2010, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Which Sedan for an elderly Doctor?

I would discount the Manza and Aveo unless it is going to be chauffer driven. Fiesta 1.6 S is a decent choice, but again not sure if it is the right car for the person.

I also dont think March discounts will be much more than year-end (read Dec) discounts by a big margin. Barely 5-10 k max.

Neither the SX4 or Corolla (new) would fit the budget, forget about the automatics.

The i20 AT may come close, and is a seriously good candidate if you ask me. It is a nice big hatch, with decent space and goodies (unless ofcourse a huge boot is a must).

I'd seriously recommend the i20 AT for them for their needs, age and budget.
The next automatic is the SX4 at about 9L.

When you are looking at the Etios, also do evaluate the Vento base model petrol version and compare.

If they are open to pre-owned, possibilities are probably endless at 7.5

Last edited by jigbarai : 9th December 2010 at 14:52.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (This will be my choice )

I'll go with your choice sir ! Fiesta 1.6 is easy and fun to drive , the second option can be Etios , but i really dont loke the red interiors and door panels , and also , the fixed headrest.

my choice - the fiesta for Doc.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th December 2010 at 01:42. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 9th December 2010, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

MileCruncherji, any particular reason why the DZire ZXi is left out (apart from the looks ofcourse) ?

Its got a nice & refined petrol engine, with good driveability and reliability and decent FE too, going by my personal experience(with the engine).

Otherwise it would be the Etios.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@Milecruncher, having once seen your FIL drive on the PVNR expressway, he seemed to be doing reasonably good speeds as if he was half enthusiast akin to you. If my assesment is true, then the Fiesta 1.6

If chauferred driven, close your eyes and go for Manza as he can take a nap on his drive to work which will be equivalent to bedroom in terms of quality of comfort

Etios a big no as it dimensions look small from all angles. I suggest you wait and watch for an upclose version including driving one

If pre-owned is a possibility then would recommend a Toyota Corolla H5 and i found it perfect for a doc ( you know some cars can be related to a certain profession) and i know quite a few docs who own this car apart from Laura.

A close friend bought an 2007 March H5 done 23K kms for 7 Lakhs which is as immecable as it was when taken out of a showroom. I drove that car as well as used the backseat. Wonderful is a mild word!

Well, those were my two cents !!!
Old 9th December 2010, 15:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

@mile cruncher,

Few questions

1) Is your FIL an auto enthusiat?
2) Manual or Auto?
3) Hatchback or sedan?
4) Petrol or Diesel?

If ans to ques 1 is yes, then blindfolded Fiesta 1.6S. If no then to other ques.
If he is Ok with hatchback then I would suggest Polo 1.6 in that budget range. If it has to be sedan then either Etios/Vento/Manza in that order.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

That was quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
I would discount the Manza and Aveo unless it is going to be chauffer driven. Fiesta 1.6 S is a decent choice, but again not sure if it is the right car for the person.

I also dont think March discounts will be much more than year-end (read Dec) discounts by a big margin. Barely 5-10 k max.

Neither the SX4 or Corolla (new) would fit the budget, forget about the automatics.

The i20 AT may come close, and is a seriously good candidate if you ask me. It is a nice big hatch, with decent space and goodies (unless ofcourse a huge boot is a must).

I'd seriously recommend the i20 AT for them for their needs, age and budget.
The next automatic is the SX4 at about 9L.

When you are looking at the Etios, also do evaluate the Vento base model petrol version and compare.

If they are open to pre-owned, possibilities are probably endless at 7.5
The car will be self driven and he is not exactly keen on a hatch. Slight brand conscious now you see.

He is open to Pre-Owned but somehow I don't want to go that route. But a 2-3 yr Old Civic in 7.5L with less than 10K on the clock can swing the balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
I'll go with your choice sir ! Fiesta 1.6 is easy and fun to drive , the second option can be Etios , but i really dont loke the red interiors and door panels , and also , the fixed headrest.

my choice - the fiesta for Doc.
I guess need to check the Etios. Actually to me Etios looks quite like the Logan and I had suggested that to him considering my relationship with M&M but he outrightly shot it down because of its Taxi Image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
MileCruncherji, any particular reason why the DZire ZXi is left out (apart from the looks ofcourse) ?

Its got a nice & refined petrol engine, with good driveability and reliability and decent FE too, going by my personal experience(with the engine).

Otherwise it would be the Etios.
Do you really want me to get started on the DZire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If chauferred driven, close your eyes and go for Manza as he can take a nap on his drive to work which will be equivalent to bedroom in terms of quality of comfort
Even if it was chauffeur driven , I'm not sure how much nap he can have between Gagan Mahal Rd no. 10 and Minerva Hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Etios a big no as it dimensions look small from all angles. I suggest you wait and watch for an upclose version including driving one

If pre-owned is a possibility then would recommend a Toyota Corolla H5 and i found it perfect for a doc ( you know some cars can be related to a certain profession) and i know quite a few docs who own this car apart from Laura.

A close friend bought an 2007 March H5 done 23K kms for 7 Lakhs which is as immecable as it was when taken out of a showroom. I drove that car as well as used the backseat. Wonderful is a mild word!
I guess I need to check out the Etios in person.

BTW what are the options in used category for 7.5L with cars being under 3 years old and low mileage.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:50   #8
BHPian

how much is the OTR difference between fiesta 1.6s and the SX4? Don't think the difference is much. For out and out driver 1.6s otherwise for a older person looking for a more relaxed car with good GC and maruti *** SX4 also seems to be good.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:52   #9
BHPian

Toyota Etios is stripped down Toyota for India , but will be good in performance,fuel efficiency and less on service/spare part costs.. but no looks

Honda Jazz will be great but expensive on service/spares

Ford is also a great choice but same drawbacks of Jazz + low resale value ?
Old 9th December 2010, 15:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would change your list as follows

1. Honda Jazz( not a sedan, I know )
2. Toyota Etios
3. Aveo 1.6 (My father has the same, 4 years old last Sep. 40K on the odometer, no complaints as yet)
4. Ford Fiesta ( If your F.I.L. is ok with the slower seat height compared to the above three)
5. Vento 1.6 Petrol (maybe has AT gear box too) should be the same as the Aveo.

The Jazz is not a sedan but we test drove this car to replace our 2 year old Swift and it is one amazing car. The rear seat ride however is not as pliant as my Father's 4 year old Aveo. The various seat combinations and the rear seat leg room is really good, so is the claimed average of 14~16 in the city with AC!! The space in the back even with the second row in place is better than most sedans in that price range. Even if you do not wish to consider it, still take a test ride.

The Aveo mentioned above is now 4 years old with 40 thousand kilometers on the odometer & has not given any reason for complaints thus far. So is it reliable? Yes.

Moreover the seats in the Aveo are the best of the lot. The front ones are generous with good support and the rear one is just like a sofa. My parents love the seat's height, in terms of ease of getting in an out of the car plus the ride is very plush and absorbs every thing that the road has to throw at or rather under it. On the highway the car runs as if on rails. The cabin too is one of the quietest that you can find even in vehicles a class or even two above. The fuel average hovers between 9 and 10 in the city with 100% a.c. all round the year and around 14 when a longish trip is thrown in. However with less than 1000 kms in a month kind of running, the fuel consumption has never been a bother and now with the SX4s equipped with 1.6 ltr engines reporting similar figures, it is par for the course.

I would suggest the Fiesta only if your in-laws are OK with the ingress and the egress and the poor rear seat leg room. More of a young person's car really.

As for the Etios, well it is yet to be seen and driven so I will reserve my comments on that front.

On the price front I believe all manufacturers are talking of price increase, so another members suggestion of opting for the year end discounts sounds good. BTW the Jazz has 55K cash discount going at the moment on the middle variant(this is in Dilli).

Happy Shopping!!
Old 9th December 2010, 18:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please post your inputs.

Cheers
- Manza is a *decent* petrol sedan, if one has to choose Manza the Quadrajet makes more sense
- New Fiesta will be unveiled in the Auto expo and if reports are to believed
expect 2011 1st quarter launch . I think the New Fiesta will be priced around Vento levels , i sense it will be out of the budget.
- Yes as already mentioned you should get good discounts then.
- Aveo is a strict No from my side. Its already outdated and it certainly doesnt have any USP.
- Verna CRDI AT and ANHC AT are the only other AT's this side of 11 lac's bracket.

I would suggest you shortlist the SX4 too. If i were to choose from the list , i think the Etios VX would be the better options since his running his low +peace of mind + decent VFM.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Budget: Rs.7.5 Lakhs OTR ( Since this is going to paid cash, not much scope of jugglery here)

Vehicles in Preliminary List:
  1. Toyoto Etios VX
  2. Tata Indigo Manza Petrol
  3. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (This will be my choice )
  4. Chevrolet Aveo 1.6
Advice
1. What you say about the DZire, I echo about the Manza petrol.
2. Second half of 2011.
3. Sure, better than December discounts.
4. When was the Aveo considered a reliable car?
5. Sedans: None in the 7.5L budget. Add to your list of SX4 & Corolla, the Verna Transform CRDi Automatic and the ANHC Automatic. Hatches your FIL doesn't want. Given his usage pattern, an ANHC Automatic is the perfect fit, but out of budget. An i20 Automatic 1.4L petrol fits the bill, if the boot can be done without.
Old 10th December 2010, 09:36   #13
BANNED

I will take a good look at the Etios, but only after it has been on the market for at least three months. An added advantage - service once a year/10,000km.
Old 10th December 2010, 09:46   #14
BHPian

@MileCruncher,

You have started the post mentioning Sedan for a elderly doctor, so my best suggestion would be Toyota Etios. Toyota is much reliable brand when compared with other cars you have shortlisted and he can peaceful with car with no run around to service center.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why is nobody recommending the Vento A/T? Looks elegant, has good ride & is easy to drive too.

Apart from this, Fiesta would be my pick, though its outdated & due for replacement. I would not consider the Manza, Verna & Aveo at this stage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks