Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 23:46   #1

Buying a used Esteem - Need help

Hi,

Need your expert advice in buying an used Esteem 2001 VX model. It has run 62K km, single owner, regularly serviced, insurance paid till Dec 2011 . It's from a colleague in my company, so I can trust that it's a good maintained car.

What would be a good price for this model? He is quoting 1.45 lakhs. This is inline with the carwale quote for a "good" car.

When I checked with used car dealers, all are quoting between 70K to 85K for this model in excellent condition. What would be the usual margin for used car dealers? Are they quoting too less?

Few other questions:

1. My wife is only 5" tall, will she be able to drive this car (I would be the main driver, but she would like to learn driving). I read about the Seat height adjuster for Esteem, will that be of help?

2. I see many owners of Esteem here, does Maruti A.S.S still procure/replace parts of Esteem if needed?

I know many might suggest to go for a new car, but I am planning for used car to get myself acquainted to driving and then go for a new car. I tried a lot in getting a hatch/smaller car, but nothing clicked. This offer came through, so am looking at this option as I am tired of finding a used car.

I would be using it mainly for City driving and more towards getting acquainted with my driving as I learnt driving couple of years back and did not buy a car. I plan to keep for 2 years and go for a new one.

Thanks in advance,
balaji
Old 14th December 2010, 07:21   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Esteem - Need help

Esteem is a good car. But at 1.45L is on higher side as you need check following. As you have mentioned its already done 62k

1. Type - Crab or Mpfi - Mpfi is better in tems of power and average
2. Clutch overhaul - when was it done
3. Suspension Work - if not done will required in near future.
4. Tyres

Also do get a complete checkup at a A.S.S for an engine related issue and track the service record too. Part should not be an issue for at least next 5 to 7 years.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Esteem has a very bad resale value, I would guess the value of the car around max 1.20 lacs
dealer will give very little amount for the esteem as its not in demand
Old 14th December 2010, 09:55   #4

Thanks V&v and Manikjeet.

@v&V: I shall check on type of engine, suspension and clutch overhaul details.

Any inputs on driving comfort for a short person (5 feet tall) on Esteem.

Meanwhile, a friend suggested to get below information. Answers inline.

1. What is the Insured Declared Value ?[COLOR=#1F497D] 1.7 L [/COLOR]
2. Conditions of tyres ?, how many more KM life left ?[COLOR=#1F497D] Should be around 10K left, its been 25+K I have driven on current tires.[/COLOR]
3. Status of Seats, Seat covers, interiors[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great[/COLOR]
4. Status of clutch plate[COLOR=#1F497D]: Working fine, never gave a problem.[/COLOR]
5. Status of wheels (rusted ?), Alloys ?, spare wheel ?[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great. No rust.[/COLOR]
6. Accident history ?[COLOR=#1F497D] two in last few years, the front bonut and trunk have been replaced when it happened[/COLOR]
7. Status of exterior paints[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great[/COLOR]
8. Status of underbody, any corrosion ?[COLOR=#1F497D] Had anti rust coating, need to check about current condition[/COLOR]
9. How much investment you need to make within 3 months from buying?[COLOR=#1F497D] None.[/COLOR]

Given the above, please could you suggest a fair price.

Thanks again for your time and advise.
balaji
Old 14th December 2010, 17:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbalaji View Post
Thanks V&v and Manikjeet.

@v&V: I shall check on type of engine, suspension and clutch overhaul details.

Any inputs on driving comfort for a short person (5 feet tall) on Esteem.

Meanwhile, a friend suggested to get below information. Answers inline.

1. What is the Insured Declared Value ?[COLOR=#1F497D] 1.7 L [/COLOR]
2. Conditions of tyres ?, how many more KM life left ?[COLOR=#1F497D] Should be around 10K left, its been 25+K I have driven on current tires.[/COLOR]
3. Status of Seats, Seat covers, interiors[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great[/COLOR]
4. Status of clutch plate[COLOR=#1F497D]: Working fine, never gave a problem.[/COLOR]
5. Status of wheels (rusted ?), Alloys ?, spare wheel ?[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great. No rust.[/COLOR]
6. Accident history ?[COLOR=#1F497D] two in last few years, the front bonut and trunk have been replaced when it happened[/COLOR]
7. Status of exterior paints[COLOR=#1F497D]: Great[/COLOR]
8. Status of underbody, any corrosion ?[COLOR=#1F497D] Had anti rust coating, need to check about current condition[/COLOR]
9. How much investment you need to make within 3 months from buying?[COLOR=#1F497D] None.[/COLOR]

Given the above, please could you suggest a fair price.

Thanks again for your time and advise.
balaji
Hi Balaji,
My suggestion would be to think real hard before investing in an Esteem Vxi. No doubt, it is a good car
But when you want to go for a new one after sometime, you won't get even half the price of what you are going to pay now.
Also, as you may be aware, Maruti has stopped Esteem some 2 yrs back.

So I would say think think think real hard.
Best Regards,
BR
Old 14th December 2010, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Esteem is a very good car and the engine is a jewel ! If in very good condition, upto 1L is Ok. I own a 1995 carb model (LX) and I don't have any problem in getting any of the spares for the car as of now. Yes, you won't get much for it later though if that is what you are basing your buying decision on !
Old 14th December 2010, 17:44   #7
BHPian

Balaji,
I'd say that there are pros and cons.
Esteem being a Maruti product will be assured of parts for the next few years.However,as stated below by few of our friends,it is an obselete model.So,when you decide to go for new car in 2 years time,you might have to trade this one at a very low price.

Look at your priorities and take the best call.

All the best
Old 14th December 2010, 21:13   #8

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Half the price in just 2 years does not sound good to me either I seriously did not think it would depreciate that much. I'll definitely hold on my decision to buy this car.

I will let my search continue to find a good WagonR or Zen. Somewhat not happy with Alto.

Thanks again everyone for your time. Will update if I need anything else.

balaji
Old 15th December 2010, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2000 MPFI Esteem. Here is a list of repairs you may have to do in next six months.

1. Brake overhauling including change of rubber parts, pads and oil
2. Exhaust pipes would require change any time as they get corroded.
3. Battery and tyres within six months.

Most problematic is the AC. Most probably 2002 model runs on R12. I had to change the whole system to R134 at a cost of 17K, as R12 is rarely available.

Most of the parts are available. I changed my windshield recently - 4.5K for tinted one.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:08   #10
LNK
BHPian

I had a 03 Esteem vx, Sold it for just 1.75 in '08 (40k km). Resale is really bad here, Altos go for higher resale in comparison! Yes, looking out for a Zen (among other alternatives) would be a good choice. Since you want to go for a new car later, you can either sell the Zen later (without much of a price difference) or just keep it as a second car.

Esteem is an excellent car, I regret having sold ours for that price but a car is not just its engine and it as already showing its age in spite of being maintained pretty well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks