Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 19:40   #1

Need some advice on the Honda City

Hello people,

am a complete fresher to this forum and need to tap some of your collective intelligence for some advice. I intend to invest some of my savings in a car very soon and have been pondering over which one to buy? My budget is around 8-9 Lacs and usage would be mainly in the city (am based in Navi Mumbai..... btw). Have been eyeing...nay lusting for the Honda City (the S Variant..to be more specific) for some time but now with the advent of other competitors, am having second thoughts since the City is comparatively sparse in terms of features. Had the following doubts :

1.low ground clearance: Read on some other forum that the low ground clearance is an issue.

2.Air conditioning: In the absence of Climate Control and no vents specifically for the rear passengers, is the A/C unit powerful enough?

3.Warranty: have been told that even a minor change to car's features such as the deck system can render the company warranty void? is that true?

4. Dealer: From the Company's website i noticed that the only dealer in Navi Mumbai is Hallmark Honda at Nerul which a showroom and workshop. Can someone give an account of the service standards of this particular dealer?

Finally, I am aspiring for a car which is low-maintainence, fuel-efficient and comfortable to ride in for both the driver and passenger. So is the Honda City a car worth breaking the bank balance for ? Thanks, in advance, for any advice extended.

Regards

C'Cat
Old 17th December 2010, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Need some advice on the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecat View Post
Hello people,

am a complete fresher to this forum and need to tap some of your collective intelligence for some advice. I intend to invest some of my savings in a car very soon and have been pondering over which one to buy? My budget is around 8-9 Lacs and usage would be mainly in the city (am based in Navi Mumbai..... btw). Have been eyeing...nay lusting for the Honda City (the S Variant..to be more specific) for some time but now with the advent of other competitors, am having second thoughts since the City is comparatively sparse in terms of features. Had the following doubts :

1.low ground clearance: Read on some other forum that the low ground clearance is an issue.

2.Air conditioning: In the absence of Climate Control and no vents specifically for the rear passengers, is the A/C unit powerful enough?

3.Warranty: have been told that even a minor change to car's features such as the deck system can render the company warranty void? is that true?

4. Dealer: From the Company's website i noticed that the only dealer in Navi Mumbai is Hallmark Honda at Nerul which a showroom and workshop. Can someone give an account of the service standards of this particular dealer?

Finally, I am aspiring for a car which is low-maintainence, fuel-efficient and comfortable to ride in for both the driver and passenger. So is the Honda City a car worth breaking the bank balance for ? Thanks, in advance, for any advice extended.

Regards

C'Cat
My family bought the New Honda City in Dec 2008. Back then, the only other options that we looked at were the SX4 and Fiesta. Naturally we settled for the City.
Low ground clearance is definitely an issue. When loaded with 4 occupants, the car tends to kiss even the smallest speed breakers.
We didn't go for any accessories in our S-MT as the stock sound system is decent enough. But yes, I hear that they threaten to void the warranty even for things as simple as going for non honda alloys.
The Air conditioning is decent. I also drive an Indica. My personal opinion is that Indica's blower is stronger than the one in the City. It takes longer to cool on a hot summer day (More than 35 deg cel).

The City doesn't demand a lot in terms of servicing costs. Fuel efficiency that i've been getting is about 16 Km / Lt in city conditions and >20 on the highways. (Tank to tank full, Chandigarh traffic conditions).

If I had to buy a car from this segment today, I would have a tough time deciding between the Vento and City.
Good luck!
Old 20th December 2010, 14:46   #3
BHPian

I have bought an ANHC SMT recently so, I guess I can try answering your queries. My Answers in bold

Quote:
Hello people,

1.low ground clearance: Read on some other forum that the low ground clearance is an issue. Yes this is definitely a problem. We are a family of 4 adults and indeed ANHC kisses every spead breaker unless u drive at <10 Kmph or you learn to drive cross.

2.Air conditioning: In the absence of Climate Control and no vents specifically for the rear passengers, is the A/C unit powerful enough? There is No ACC or rear vent , but Im in chennai and i find the AC very good. My parents sitting on the rear seats also find it very confortable,

3.Warranty: have been told that even a minor change to car's features such as the deck system can render the company warranty void? is that true? I think the music system in ANHC is very good., but as you said , the dealers are really fussy on the warranty even with a minor change.

4. Dealer: From the Company's website i noticed that the only dealer in Navi Mumbai is Hallmark Honda at Nerul which a showroom and workshop. Can someone give an account of the service standards of this particular dealer? Im based out of chennai ,so cant help on this.

Finally, I am aspiring for a car which is low-maintainence, fuel-efficient and comfortable to ride in for both the driver and passenger. So is the Honda City a car worth breaking the bank balance for ? Thanks, in advance, for any advice extended. If I were you and I was in the market now to buy a sedan - My choices would be for Petrol its Linea T-Jet and Diesel - Vento. Both are great cars and you will love driving them more than ANHC for sure,

Regards

C'Cat
Old 20th December 2010, 17:46   #4
VEA
BHPian

I have bought a ANHC last month. He is my views on your concerns

Quote:
Hello people,

Well yes. It is an issue. Amongst all the cars I have used this really is a pain when GC is concerned. In less than a month I have managed to scrape it more than what I would have done with all my cars in the last 5 years. But what I feel from inside the cabin is that the culprit is the low slung spare wheel carriage.

It cools well enough even at the rear during mid day. I dont even run it in the coolest mode, always a few notches to the warmer side. If you really fancy those nice switches on the ACC, then this is not the car for you.

The warranty booklet does not say anything specifically about after market installs. What I understand form reading it is that Honda is not against aftermarket installs. But it throws caution and clearly mentions to approach the dealer if you are in doubt or you should ask the dealer to inspect such installs to make sure it is in order with Honda's conditions. It says not to overload the electrical system and not to install accessories that could damage the car. As a matter of fact, I have installed a double din system using an aftermarket facia, wiring etc. I have not touched the factory wiring and the OE HU can be refitted anytime without knowing it has been removed for an aftermarket install. I did ask my dealer about this and they did not object. They doesn't have any problem in upsizing the tyres either.

I am not in a position to comment.

I am yet to find out about the maintenance. I have used a NHC before, and it never went to the service station other than for scheduled services.I have used a octavia, superb, swift, innova, tucson and a tata manza in the last few years and i considered the altis, cruze and laura before settling in on the ANHC. The need for a practical, long running automatic made me settle on the ANHC. Let me tell you, i find a particular kind of peace inside the ANHC cabin. It is very easy to find a good driving position. I feel it is money spend well.
Old 20th December 2010, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Dear C'Cat,

The City is a lovely vehicle. It's fun to drive and very comfortable. Yes, there is an issue concerning the ground clearance. You have to be extra careful if you dont want to scrape your car. But I guess the pluses definitely overshadow this problem.

Regarding the warranty, like others have mentioned earlier, HONDA is quite strict. But I guess you should check this out with the dealership guys before adding any aftermarket items.

The air-con does not have a climate control or rear vents. But it has a very good thermostat control. You can feel the difference even with a small change on the knob. And the air-con is quite efficient too. I have not been able to check it out in extreme cobnditions but I guess it should perform well in Mumbai.

Basically, HONDA is very stingy when it comes to accessories but the high point is, whatever little they do provide are of top quality.

As for your three important points of low maintenance, fuel mileage and ride comfort; the City scores very high marks in all three. The car does have a low maintenance overall, but mind you, the case is not so if you damage any part. Replacements could turn out expensive.

You should also look at the Vento. This is a very good car too in this price segment.

Rgds.
Old 20th December 2010, 19:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you bent on Honda or amenable to other brands?

I have got rave reviews from SX4 users, many own a City as well, but now prefer the SX4. In a nut shell the new SX4 has very zippy performance. Maintenance is no brainer it is a MUL product. The ground clearance is one of the best and the AC rocks in Delhi heat.

Best part is that SX4 has a lot of year end discounts and cost a lot less.
Honda MT is 8.15 to 9.53 ex show room in Delhi
SX4 MT is 6.9 to 8 ex show room in Delhi

So essentially you get the highest variant SX4 for lowest variant of City!
Old 20th December 2010, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SX4 MT is 6.9 to 8 ex show room in Delhi
The SX4 is going for as low as 6.7 on road Gurgaon. Add another 15k for Delhi reg.
Old 20th December 2010, 20:06   #8
BHPian

Cat,

Please go ahead with the ANHC. You may try and have a look at the VMT too.

I have been owning the ANHC-SMT from last June. Am very happy with the performance. Its a very nice, sweet & easy car to drive.

GC is low & does scrap the humps when 4 adults are in the car.

I am not competent to comment about the AC performance in Mumbai heat, but am very happy with the AC on a very sunny day in Bangalore.

I wouldnt say that the car is a high maintenance vehicle as per my experience till now.

I have upgraded the headlights since i travel a lot, though many out here are satisfied with the stock headlights.

I dont see the need to do any upgrade with the stocK ICE, since it performs quite well.I would say any car manufacturer would speak of the warranty being void if the stock settings are tampered with, why point finger only at HONDA?

The car, if driven properly returns a very good economy too.

Finally, i feel the numbers should talk for you. ANHC is selling very well Bangalore. You should be knowing about the sales in Mumbai.

Take your time & decide on what car you would like to break your bank balance and do let us all know on which car you did break it - All the very best !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 20th December 2010 at 20:09.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend checking out the SX4. Its peppy and offers more features than the City. The only thing missing will be the refinement of the engine that Honda offers.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:30   #10
BHPian

The Honda City is "City car" and it does possess the low ground clearance problem you have asked. Apart from that the A.c is good you don't have to worry about that and yes the dealerships are Very finicky about the Warranty clauses.
As i am a Hyderabadi i wouldn't know about navi mumbai so mods please do help him out.

But i would like to ask you to consider a few more options in petrol sedans like
1)Vw vento (the upkeep is still N/a)
2)Fiat Linea T-jet (powerful engine)
3)Toyota corolla (if your budget increase by 1-2lakhs)
4)Maruti sx4 (maruti means peace of mind,low spares,better FE)
5)Chevy Aveo or Optra Petrol
Old 21st December 2010, 13:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello people,

soft rear suspension and undertyred=GC issue. Persistent problem. My parent's jazz does have a bit stiffer rear suspension though.

A/C will take time to cool due to expanse of beige interiors. But cooling is good even in Delhi heat.

Yes, its true. Go for City E base model if you want to fit your own audio system.

No idea of mumbai, so I also cannot comment.

Finally, I am aspiring for a car which is low-maintenance, fuel-efficient and comfortable to ride in for both the driver and passenger. So is the Honda City a car worth breaking the bank balance for ? Thanks, in advance, for any advice extended.

City rules the roost as an all round petrol sedan. However, if you are still not convinced, check out either of the two alternatives:
  • Jazz X (same features as City V for 1.4-1.7L cheaper)
  • Linea T-jet base (if budget permits) or t-jet plus with higher GC due to 16", if you can stretch.
Regards

C'Cat
Check my replies in bold.
Old 31st December 2010, 18:09   #12
BHPian

Even though I do not own a NHC, I had influenced the purchasing decision of NHC of a friend recently. I had spoken to the dealer in Hyd about the low GC and he had a altogether new theory for that: He says that th braking system of NHC is such that the suspension lowers the body of the car moment brake is pressed to reduce the centr of gravity. This is to give more igh speed braking stability to the car and is a standard feature on all city versions. This happens immediately when u break hard and so, his advice is to break a bit earlier to the speed breaker and to take the car over the speed breaker with only mild or nil application of brakes.

Ihave not had a chance to try it myself but my friend who bought the car says he has found it useful.

Maybe u can try!

Saaicon

Alto Lxi 2006
Hyundai i 20 Magna 2010
Old 11th January 2011, 01:24   #13

Considering that your question was specifically about Honda City, I am assuming that you have eliminated other models based on your preference and are trying to determine if the questions you have will stop you from buying this nice car.

Low ground clearance is an issue at times, and you may scrape the car a little, but not bad to cause major damage to the vehicle.

A/C on mine was good enough for Chennai and Vizag (similar climate as Mumbai)

My dealer did indicate that the warranty will be void with changes to the deck system, but this depends on your relationship with the dealer. One of the main complaints I have is that the City only has a USB socket for music and no CD player. I guess this is OK for most people, but I would still have preferred to have a CD player so I do not have to copy my collection of CDs to a USB drive. Can't imagine what my father would do if his car had only a USB drive.

Manufacturer recommended maintenance, as well as parts are not cheap, but definitely worth the extra penny in terms of refinement and class. Checked out Linea, and SX-4, and Honda quality beats both of these vehicles any day.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:32   #14
BHPian

C'cat: Personally owning and driving a Honda City (ZX variant) I can vouch for the comfort, reliability, fuel efficiency and the lower maintenance cost Honda brings to the table. But please be aware that maintenance cost does not include repair cost - if in case some parts are damaged, then that is expensive. Here I am not sure of other cars, may be Maruti - SX4 would score better.

Being in Bangalore (speed braker City) I can also share my experience on GC of Honda City. It is a pain and a concern while approaching any speed braker, but slowly you will learn the art of driving over a speed braker. Sometime even after all that City will scrap anyways. Here also I feel SX4 would score better due to the higher GC

Personally I would recommend Honda - as I own one, drive one and can vouch for it

To give you more options - why not consider Ford Fiesta (even a Diesel TDCI one) as well into your list?

Regards.
narayanang76
Old 17th January 2011, 17:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
C'cat: Personally owning and driving a Honda City (ZX variant) I can vouch for the comfort, reliability, fuel efficiency and the lower maintenance cost Honda brings to the table. But please be aware that maintenance cost does not include repair cost - if in case some parts are damaged, then that is expensive. Here I am not sure of other cars, may be Maruti - SX4 would score better.

Regards.
narayanang76
The 2 years plus 2 years of extended warranty should compensate for the relatively expensive parts, IMO. Plus I suggest you go through Sam's post on getting the zero depreciation insurance, total peace of mind guaranteed:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...worked-me.html
Ground clearance hasn't been an issue for my ANHC up in the north, touchwood.
OT: I always used to wonder why so many bangalore folks crib about GC, untill I saw some images of the speed breakers, it's insane!

Most Viewed