Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 20:53   #1

Toyota Etios VX or Honda Jazz X?

Hey gurus!

This is my first post, so please excuse any indiscretions.

I've read up almost every thread in Team-bhp on Toyota Etios and Honda Jazz X. Still can't decide between the two - hence this SOS

Situation is that I booked Toyota Etios on Dec 3rd itself. However, reading up the threads here has now given me a massively premature buyer's remorse (or should that be booker's remorse? )

My main considerations are:
- Lower running and maintenance costs
- Interior space including luggage space and fit-and-finish
- Most importantly, lower TCO (total cost of ownership - this includes the resale price say, three years from now).

Given that the Etios is not yet on the roads, what would be your take on this issue? If the re-sale market (or availability of spares and/or service) for Jazz is going to go south due to the introduction of Brio, I'd rather definitely NOT go for it at any cost now.

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: The Honda dealer in Bangalore is offering me only some 26k off for the Jazz X. If it were 55k as mentioned in other threads here, my decision would have probably been in favour of the Jazz X.
Old 26th December 2010, 00:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios VX or Honda Jazz X?

Welcome to TBhp.
You have made it Toyota Vs Honda or a Sedan Vs Hatchback.
My Suggestion is Please wait for the Etios. Agree, It is not the best looker but looks like Toyota have done their research right with massive space, decent engine, good FE. They have a lot at stake and would not want to lose the market.

What goes against the Jazz, according to me, is the fact it never sold much even in its prime and with Brio on the cards, Honda does not seem to be really focusing on pushing it.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:28   #3

Thanks a lot for your reply, vignesh_ny!

I am OK with Honda OR Toyota, sedan OR hatchback, as long as the car scores higher w.r.t. my considerations.

And yes, as you point out, the release of Brio has certainly gone against the Jazz, at least in my eyes!

Request other "petrolheads" to chime in with your opinions too
Old 26th December 2010, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP Rajesh, please make a introduction in the introduction section.

Now coming back to the topic, I would suggest you to stick with Toyota Etios. I have owned two Toyota till date and I am very much happy with its performance, quality and reliability. Honda is also known for its quality and reliability, however Etios will have a good re-sale value compared with Jazz. Jazz I guess would be phased out once Brio is launched.

All your considerations are fulfilled by Etios

What is the delivery date given by Toyota dealership for your Etios??
Old 26th December 2010, 11:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you're okay with the waiting period, interiors, styling and the fit and finish of Toyota Etios, I don't see any other point to make you stay away from Toyota Etios.

But then, I would still recommend you to have a detailed analysis and make a good decision. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
...however Etios will have a good re-sale value compared with Jazz. Jazz I guess would be phased out once Brio is launched.
How come you say that Toyota Etios will have much better resale when contrasted with Honda Jazz? Yes, I'm confused.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jazz I guess would be phased out once Brio is launched.
Isn't this too hyper-bole of a statement?
Old 26th December 2010, 11:55   #7

@camchennai Thanks for the reply. Will head over to the introduction section right now The delivery date given to me is the Mar-Apr timeframe. The salesman explained to me that they expect 60-80 cars in the first lot - which will be in Jan-Feb. I would have been in this lot if I had booked on Dec 1. However, I booked on Dec 3, and so I'm in the next lot.

@Klub Class Thanks!
Old 26th December 2010, 11:57   #8
BHPian

@Klub class - You tell me which Toyota product in India has a low re-sale value?? Jazz is already over priced and how would you expect a customer to buy a used Jazz by paying a huge sum??

@Sheel - Why will Honda offer two different products with too much price variation at same segment?? If two products are sold in the market then Brio will sure kill Jazz market which is already shading day by day.
Old 26th December 2010, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You tell me which Toyota product in India has a low re-sale value??
Even though, I don't know in detail about the resale value of Toyota cars - I for sure know that people still pay huge price even for the used Toyota Qualis and the discontinued Toyota Qualis.Thus on a similar note, I feel that Toyota Etios will also fetch high result value.

Btw, wouldn't a Honda car give you a similar re-sale price? Gurus, your inputs please.

Quote:
Jazz is already over priced and how would you expect a customer to buy a used Jazz by paying a huge sum??
But, on a different note - I don't expect a Honda Jazz owner to sell off his car for a low sum.

Quote:
Why will Honda offer two different products with too much price variation at same segment?? If two products are sold in the market then Brio will sure kill Jazz market which is already shading day by day.
If Maruti Suzuki can offer many cars in the same segment, I don't see a point on why Honda would not offer two hatchbacks!

But, at the end of the day - Honda Jazz and Honda Brio are in different segments, after all.

EDIT : Sorry for the OT post!

Last edited by Klub Class : 26th December 2010 at 12:08.
Old 26th December 2010, 12:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Sheel - Why will Honda offer two different products with too much price variation at same segment?? If two products are sold in the market then Brio will sure kill Jazz market which is already shading day by day.
You have answered your statement.

Why is Maruti manufacturing the Ritz when they have the Wagon-R?

They are two different products targeted at different consumer ends. You can't really compare an entry segment hatch the Brio, with the Jazz, can you?

In India a Toyota and a Honda will get good re-sale value.
Old 26th December 2010, 13:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I own a Honda Jazz and also belong to Ahmedabad where Jazz sells in most numbers. I will advise you against the car as it is nowhere close to the word 'value for money'. some major features have been exterminated for Honda to make money. I am totally satisfied with my car though since my first and major priority was Lowest NVH.

I would suggest you look at Toyota Etios and even better The Mahindra Logan. Logan is selling around 1000 units now which is respectable. Also the ownership cost will be lower than both Honda and Toyota cars. When I test drove more than 15 cars I found Logan to have the best ride on the bumpiest of roads. Also space is good. If you worry about Brand image, stick to Toyota Etios. Apart from the weird dash I find it to be a good car.
Old 26th December 2010, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Rajesh - If those are your criteria, the Etios outscores the Jazz, IMO.

- Lower running and maintenance costs : Etios promises better FE than the Jazz, based on reviews - the low weight and high torque at low rpms being the driver

- Interior space including luggage space and fit-and-finish : Etios is spacious for a family of 5 ... The Jazz is not short of space either. Fit and finish should be better for the Jazz - hopefully, its not 'feel premium' interiors that you're looking for because then the Jazz should be miles ahead

- Most importantly, lower TCO (total cost of ownership - this includes the resale price say, three years from now) ... Have little doubt that Etios should score here... TCO includes initial price (Etios has a huge advantage vs Jazz), running costs (FE promised by Etios better than Jazz) ... % of depreciation for Etios should be similar to Jazz, if not better ... after all, surely the Etios promises to be a more successful car in terms of sales than the Jazz.

All the best !
Old 26th December 2010, 13:42   #13

@devarshi84 Thanks for the very useful info. Logan we had ruled out because of the rather tacky interiors (cheap plastics, etc.). Also, we were not happy with the space in the passenger compartment. I think either of these is not an issue with Etios or Jazz - hence we narrowed down our choice to these two.

@RoadTiger Furiously noting down your points ... thanks a heap!

Last edited by rajesh_shenoy : 26th December 2010 at 13:59.
Old 26th December 2010, 15:44   #14
BHPian

@Rajesh - Anytime

IMO, the Jazz is a signficantly overpriced car. Its consistent low sales (around 300-500 cars per month) indicate that it doesnt strike a chord with the VFM crowd that constitues most of the Indian crowd market.

Most Jazz buyers dont mind paying a premium for the Honda badge (which implies peace of mind, quality, premium image, promise of higher resale etc). Difference is that Toyota seems to be offering Etios as a VFM product and not charging a significant premium for the badge (IMO, badge-wise, Toyota is certainly no less than Honda for the practical buyer).

Big caveat: exteriors and interiors-wise there is no comparison .. the Jazz is 'rich', Etios is 'economy'
Old 26th December 2010, 16:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_shenoy View Post

My main considerations are:
- Lower running and maintenance costs
- Interior space including luggage space and fit-and-finish
- Most importantly, lower TCO (total cost of ownership - this includes the resale price say, three years from now).

PS: The Honda dealer in Bangalore is offering me only some 26k off for the Jazz X. If it were 55k as mentioned in other threads here, my decision would have probably been in favour of the Jazz X.
As a current owner of 3 Hondas, I can safely say Honda's are my personal preferred choice of reliable vehicles. As far as running and maintenance costs are concerned, the Jazz being a premium product, will definitely be higher than the Etios - which as you know will be the cheapest Toyota to own. Interior and Luggage space comes in oodles in the Jazz, although the Etios from GTO's review seems pretty loaded in that area as well. Moving on to the most important factor affecting your decision - The TCO - I can guarantee, the Jazz say 3 years down the road will fetch a good price, ample enough to buy you a new Etios then. Whereas, with the Etios you really can't say much as of today since there are no ownership reviews on the same. I have my reservations that it might just go the Qualis way and you'll end up seeing more Etios taxis than private owned cars.

I can personally vouch for the Jazz being a super silent, smooth, comfortable and safe car leaving you with hardly anything to complain about by the time you would want to sell it. Jazz is now being offered a 60k discount, here at our Ahmedabad dealers, if you buy the car in 2010.

Just to point out, you do realize you're comparing a premium hatchback with a cheap sedan for the masses. Its obviously your call - but if you ask me I'd say go for the Jazz. You will not regret it!

Most Viewed