Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Exchanging my SX4 for a Swift diesel?

HI,

I am owning SX4 Vxi since for the past 15 months. I would like to go for a new car.. Probably a diesel one.. after the soaring Petrol prices.. This time I am planning for SUV's or a Hatchback..

Currently I am on EMI's for 4 years.. I would like to exchange the car with any SUV or Hatchback..

I would like to know If i exchange the car with Maruti itself with Swift Diesel or Ritz Diesel, do i have to pay any extra amount ?

If i want to exchange the car with any other auto car maker, like with Toyota Innova.. do i have to pay any extra amount than Exchanging with Maruti ?

Mine is SX4 VXI NOV 2009 model...

Please let me know guys !
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying Swift Diesel after exchanging SX4 ?????

I am sure you get a loyalty bonus if you exchange with the same manufacturer. In fact Maruti was offering me a loyalty bonus even with only the regn number of my old car and I was free to sell it anywhere else (I didnt understand this at all)
Nevertheless, I think you should first decide which car you want to buy and then look at exchange options. I think you will have to prepay the balance on the existing loan, though someone here can confirm/ deny this.
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
I would like to know If i exchange the car with Maruti itself with Swift Diesel or Ritz Diesel, do i have to pay any extra amount ?
With all due respect, with the money you plan to pay as road tax, insurance, accessories etc, you can easily fill petrol for a long time & and keep the larger car as well!

IMO, it doesn't really make sense downgrading from SX4 to Swift diesel, just because diesel is somewhat cheaper!
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:02   #4
BHPian

I would advise you to install cng kit to sx4. Of course if cng is easily available on your daily route.
An acquaintance gets 15+ FE with sx4 cng he owns.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

the best upgrade would be an SX4 diesel coming this month or feb.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:16   #6
BANNED

Try something else why just Maruti?
If boot is not your concern give a try to Grand Punto 90 BHP version, Micra is also a good choice.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:34   #7
BANNED

If this was in Bombay, I would look at a CNG kit on the SX4 rather than selling & going for a Diesel. CNG running is cheap even when comparing to Diesel, I think.

Also, what's your monthly running?
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:45   #8
BHPian

@udayjani:
SX4 itself is a huge beast and has tremendous road presence. Definitely not a good idea to downgrade to Swift Diesel. (No offence meant).
Even diesel prices would stabilize with that of petrol in coming years.

If I were you, I would put a LPG/CNG kit. Think over it again.

OR

Better exchange SX4 to Linea Diesel/SUV. You would have very big smiles for sure.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:52   #9
BHPian

I quite understand where your coming from, and the feeling everytime you fill the tank, however if you had not bought the SX4 it would have been a different proposition, but now that you have a SX4, buying a different car just to save on fuel cost, will mathematically not work out in your favour. Run an exl sheet with SX4, Swift diesel, and converting SX4 into CNG if possible, once you factor the depriciation hit of the SX4 and then do the maths, you with in most certinity realise, retaning the SX4 would be the best option.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Udayjani is your monthly travel more than 2000-2500 Km?

Besides, as rightly mentioned by others, in your case - you have depreciation on your existing car + extra money for swift diesel. That also has to be taken into account.

do not go emotional everytime you fill tankfull of petrol. Even with your diesel vehicle you would feel the same. Its not that diesel is less than half the value of petrol.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:27   #11
BHPian

I agree with others in suggesting you to retain the SX4. Now, SX4 is coming with factory fit CNG kit, check with Maruti Service if the same can be fit into your car. Down south, CNG is not available as much as LPG. Buying a Lovato LPG kit also makes sense. However, this will be a compromise on the Boot space. My dads santro gives almost the same mileage with LPG and Petrol, The LPG being almost half the price as petrol.
The pickup with LPG is slightly sluggish than compared with Petrol.

In case you are bent upon buying a diesel hatch, I suggest try I20 / Punto. After being spoilt with Luxury of driving SX4, Swift D may not appeal to you, considering the interior space and ride quality deficiency.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:27   #12
BHPian

@ Sid - Curious... Who/What is powering it... FIAT 1.6 MJD or VW 1.6 TDi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
the best upgrade would be an SX4 diesel coming this month or feb.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

You want to sell a 15 month old car coz of fuel prices?? Bad decision. You need to consider this-

How much do you lose on the investment made on the car 15 months ago, the EMIs paid so far and the extra EMIs you may have to cough in for the extra money.

If you do the math for you to gain on the fuel for buying a diesel you will have to run the car for 24*7 for a year I guess. Your options-

1) The worst one- sell the car and use the money for commuting in public transport (this might sound offensive but it still is an option)

2) Car pool- yes if you are the only one who are driving then car pooling is a viable option to save on fuel bills and it is green to.

3) Alternate fuels- according to the availability in your city go for a CNG kit.

All the above are better than the option yuou are thinking about. but if you are adamant.

Your SX4 will get a better price in open market than selling it to the maruti dealer as an exchange, a little research would tell you that. However, being an Ex-maruti customer you will get some extra discounts on Swift-D.

Other cars you may want to consider are -

1) Figo- Frugal and absolute VFM
2) Punto- Stylish bang for buck, but is a bit heavier on your pocket than Figo.
3) Vista!!

Cheers!!

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

How much do you run in a month or a year? If its under 2000 kms per month i would not really recommend a change to Swift, especially since there is a new model lurking in the corner somewhere.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
HI,

I am owning SX4 Vxi since for the past 15 months. I would like to go for a new car.. Probably a diesel one.. after the soaring Petrol prices.. This time I am planning for SUV's or a Hatchback..
Hi udayjani

Let me share with you the Math that I did recently.

With the cost of petrol at 60 Rs/Litre and diesel at 45 Rs/Litre, and a monthly running of 1500 Kms, I would recover the extra 1 lakh (approx) that I would pay initially at the time of buying a diesel vehicle, after 5 years. With that extra 1 Lakh that I invest in the diesel car, the returns after 5 years will be much lower compared to investing the same 1 lakh in a bank FD, NSC or PPF or any other mode of investment. Think about it.

So please first do the math and find out your average monthly running. Then you also need to calculate your potential loss in getting rid of a 15-month old car and pre-paying the loan on your SX4.

All said and done, if you are still hell-bent on buying a diesel hatch or an SUV, I would give you the following options (in their order of preference IMHO):

Hatches:
1) Vista QJD Aura+
2) Figo Titanium TDCi
3) Punto 90HP Emotion Pack
4) i20 CRDi Asta

SUV/MUVs:
1) Innova
2) Scorpio
3) Safari
4) Xylo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com