Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 18:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fastest car (20-100 kmph) at 8L, 12L, 16L?

Quote:
.... Jetta looks dated and has the diesel engine in the lowest state of tune(110hp) without the DSG option.... I was in a similar confusion some time back, i ended up buying Laura DSG 140......
Ahhhh...was in the same boat, but ended up buying the Jetta. Skoda was out of picture because of the service issues. And never wanted an Automatic. My question is if a Peted, manual 2L Laura would provide the required acceleration???

Guess Peted jetta makes more sense to remap the engine to delivery the 140 BHP.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ And What happens if you add a tuning box to the 140hp Laura DSG? But personally i would stay away from tuning box for the long term reliability issue already being discussed in another thread. If ever i decide to modify my car, it will be a Remap from some reliable source.

Let's discuss just the stock cars here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th January 2011 at 19:31.
Old 10th January 2011, 21:41   #33
BHPian

Manufacturers have realized that India is not the market to get their Fast cars here.. Due to which the options we have is quite small in number.
Under 8 lakhs - I really don't see any tire burner. Maybe the safe bet here is Punto with 90BHP. Fiesta 1.6S is a great car to drive but not necessarily fast. I rate Fiesta 1.6S higher than any other car under 12 lakhs purely due to the pleasure to drive but that isn't your priority since you are looking at fastest.
Under 12 lakhs - Optra Magnum.
Under 16 lakhs - Laura followed by Cruze (I think these are the only 2 options available)
Old 11th January 2011, 11:04   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manish,

It's refreshing to see this kind of a "What Car?" query. Cars that are quick and fun to drive:

8 lakhs : Fiesta 1.6S
9 - 11 lakhs : Linea T-Jet & Vento D
12 - 16L : Cruze & Laura TSI

If you have no budgetary restrictions, the Laura TSI will make you happiest. Watch out for Skoda horror stories, unreliability etc. (pros & cons of all cars are covered elsewhere on the forum).

However, we cannot afford to look over this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
I purchased a used Accent Viva CRDi in Aug'10. It's been just under 4 months. I have driven over 8000 kms in this period (80% discretionary driving).
8000 kms in 4 months is a heavy driving style! If you think your next car will also cover miles quickly, then look no further than the Vento or Cruze diesel. The Vento is amongst the fastest cars at a sub 10 lakh price point, has amazing road manners and that 1.6 diesel mill is fuel efficient too. The Cruze is a super-quick, loaded with equipment and a lot of fun on the open road (though, in the city, Vento is better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq at a puny 69ps is considered a good car to drive (and Fista is definitely heavy!).
Fiesta is a good car to drive only in the city. It is terribly underpowered (by current C segment standards) on the open road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Cruze is a Depreciation disaster(If one actually finds it a real driver's car)
Not sure if I agree with that. For one, it's too early to pass judgement on the Cruze' resale. Second, the Cruze is a very successful car. It's generally the market duds that suffer from poor resale...the way that the Cruze is flying off shelves clearly indicates the market's interest in it.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Cruze is a super-quick, loaded with equipment and a lot of fun on the open road (though, in the city, Vento is better).
And add to that the killer looks. The car looks grand from all the sides. And its a definite head turner. I like driving my swift and i know how it moves forward once the turbo kicks in. But in cruze the feeling of eating the road just gets ginoromous when the turbo kicks in. Brilliant!!
Old 11th January 2011, 12:00   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not sure if I agree with that. For one, it's too early to pass judgement on the Cruze' resale. Second, the Cruze is a very successful car. It's generally the market duds that suffer from poor resale...the way that the Cruze is flying off shelves clearly indicates the market's interest in it.
I know this because a friend just sold his Cruze and he had tough time selling it. His problem was low GC, he did not check it before buying.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..His problem was low GC, he did not check it before buying..
I hope this(GC) was not the only reason why the sale was difficult.

The pricing is the biggest factor for used cars. Even at 12L(Top end) people would think about going all the way to 14L to get an unused car with warranty and other blah blahs. Cruze is a new car in the market and the sellers expected price could have played a huge role.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:54   #38
BHPian

Does skoda offers skoda shield for TSI?? If if does then i'd say its a good buy because it takes care of the service aspect as well to quite an extent. And no car can touch it on the performance front under 20 lacs. But then you have to watch out for the fuel expenses as well.

I was also in a similar dilemma 1 year back when i was looking for a diesel car (my choice was simply the fastest diesel under 16 lacs which could match the acceleration feel of vRS) and i picked cruze LTZ the moment i drove it. It is the only diesel car i have driven which can match the sheer acceleration of the RS which i was accustomed to. The mid range particularly is as good as it gets and top end is again one of the best by diesel standards. The only irritant is the turbo lag but once you get used to it, its not such a big issue!
Laura diesel DSG is again one stonker of a car and offers the best combination of performance, driving dynamics and fuel economy.

This is what i would choose if i was in your shoes
8-12 lacs: Petrol: Mitsubishi Cedia and Diesel: VW Vento
12-16 lacs: Petrol: Laura TSI and Diesel: Cruze LTZ MT

Last edited by ashish22 : 11th January 2011 at 13:56.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:33   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know this because a friend just sold his Cruze and he had tough time selling it. His problem was low GC, he did not check it before buying.
Surprising to know your friend sold off the cruze just for GC issue. Having driven my Cruze for 10,000kms in < 5 Months with about 5.5K kms in one single trip out of which it went through some hellish roads and it just scraped the bottom twice and went through 2 huge thuds as didnt see the pot holes at high speed.

Having driven 10K, GC is the least worry of the Cruze as i normally take reasonably high speed breakers and little mounds with good speed and never it has hit the bottom.

Its suspension set-up is stiff as it should be for a diesel car and is fantastic to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And add to that the killer looks. The car looks grand from all the sides. And its a definite head turner. I like driving my swift and i know how it moves forward once the turbo kicks in. But in cruze the feeling of eating the road just gets ginoromous when the turbo kicks in. Brilliant!!
+1. There is no comparison of Cruze with most cars except maybe with Laura TSI or a vRS. Once on the highway, there is almost none who can match its phenomenal accelaration

I am already tired of the number of glances it attracts. It makes the money spent feeling even better

So in short, my recommendation for 16L category is a Cruze if its diesel and Laura TSi if its a petrol. Look no further!
Old 11th January 2011, 14:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Any comments on the Laura DSG 140bhp. 0-140 in 16.54secs(TSi does it 15.69), it surely is more involving to drive than a Cruze. And let's not forget the ZERO turbo lag and the brilliant lightning fast DSG 'box + 18.xx kpl ARAI FE, with 4 years Skoda Shield coverage.

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th January 2011 at 14:45.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Any comments on the Laura DSG 140bhp. 0-140 in 16.54secs....
IMHO the Cruze, as a complete package (top end), is much cheaper and more VFM with excellent performance compared to the L&K version of Laura. At 16L on road the Cruze offers features comparable to high end Laura. There will be areas where the Cruze will be better than laura or vice-versa.

It all comes down to preference when it comes to looks/A.S.S and VFM to decide between these two cars. A.S.S from skoda is still something to worry about while we haven’t read too many ugly reports from Chevy A.S.S.

I still vote Cruze and Laura almost similar in performance and Cruze definitely better as a package at that price point.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th January 2011 at 22:46. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 11th January 2011, 18:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
I was also in a similar dilemma 1 year back when i was looking for a diesel car (my choice was simply the fastest diesel under 16 lacs which could match the acceleration feel of vRS) and i picked cruze LTZ the moment i drove it. It is the only diesel car i have driven which can match the sheer acceleration of the RS which i was accustomed to. The mid range particularly is as good as it gets and top end is again one of the best by diesel standards. The only irritant is the turbo lag but once you get used to it, its not such a big issue!
Laura diesel DSG is again one stonker of a car and offers the best combination of performance, driving dynamics and fuel economy.
I haven't driven the Cruze or the vRS, but does the handling (on road behavior) play spoil-sport, especially when you are Cruzing over 140-150kmph.

(Still can't get over the vRS's and Mondeo's looks)
Old 12th January 2011, 11:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I haven't driven the Cruze or the vRS, but does the handling (on road behavior) play spoil-sport, especially when you are Cruzing over 140-150kmph.
I have driven both and vRS not at real high speeds but can safely say in a straight line both can do their respective top speeds and not even twitch and feel firmly planted on the ground

Whereas i feel vRS has a slight advantage in corners and feels more planted than the Cruze. But, Cruze with better tyres will equal that feeling.

In short, both are capable of doing much higher speeds than what you mentioned with exemplary road behaviour.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:01   #44
BHPian

Thankyou everyone! I've been reading all your replies with immense interest. And I have now been able to short-list the cars that I'll test drive: Vento, T-Jet, Laura TSi, Cruze & Laura DSG.

The end result is: I'm test-driving the Vento & the T-Jet this weekend. And the Laura TSi & Cruze, the next weekend. Will update on what I thought of them.

Quote:
If you have no budgetary restrictions, the Laura TSI will make you happiest.
Thank you GTO for dropping by.

I remember you saying somewhere else: "Used cars offer some of the best value." Let me test-drive the cars. Who knows? I might start looking at used cars too.

Quote:
If you think your next car will also cover miles quickly, then look no further than the Vento or Cruze diesel.
It definitely will. I've only recently gotten inspired by a GQ travelogue I read on T-BHP; and bit-by-bit getting that fire burning under me, to do a GQ trip for myself. My first choice is definitely a Diesel. Let me try test-driving both: the Vento & the Cruze.

Vento somehow looks dull. What wouldn't I give to have either the Vento or Cruze's engine in the Punto!!! Perfect bliss <day-dreaming>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post

This is what i would choose if i was in your shoes
8-12 lacs: Petrol: Mitsubishi Cedia and Diesel: VW Vento
12-16 lacs: Petrol: Laura TSI and Diesel: Cruze LTZ MT
Thankyou Ashish for bringing out that comparison between vRS & Cruze. Was wondering how the two would fare against each-other. So, how's your Cruze experience been? Does it handle well at corners (with/ without tyre upgrade)?

Quote:
^^ Any comments on the Laura DSG 140bhp. 0-140 in 16.54secs(TSi does it 15.69), it surely is more involving to drive than a Cruze. And let's not forget the ZERO turbo lag and the brilliant lightning fast DSG 'box + 18.xx kpl ARAI FE, with 4 years Skoda Shield coverage.
Thankyou .anshuman for helping me out these last few days.

The only concern I have with Laura 140ps (AT or MT) is the price. At 4L+ over the Cruze (Cruze LT), it offers lesser power (atleast on paper)-140 ps vs 150 ps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have driven both and vRS not at real high speeds but can safely say in a straight line both can do their respective top speeds and not even twitch and feel firmly planted on the ground

Whereas i feel vRS has a slight advantage in corners and feels more planted than the Cruze. But, Cruze with better tyres will equal that feeling.

In short, both are capable of doing much higher speeds than what you mentioned with exemplary road behaviour.
Thankyou mobile008 for that update. Was wondering how Cruze's cornering abilities are?

Last edited by manishk83 : 12th January 2011 at 14:03.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:03   #45
dot
Senior - BHPian

Manish, I picked the following data in either overdrive or autocar magazine recently.

Civic MT 20-80 12.23 sec
Civic MT 40-100 16.37 sec
Civic AT 20-80 7.06 sec
Civic AT 40-100 8.4 sec.

The AT numbers are in kick down mode.

As one can see, in real life, AT will be very competitive to the others discussed so far. As everyone realizes, all these numbers are statistical averages and subject to several factors.

Since you were looking for roll-on figures and no one had yet posed these data, thought it might be helpful.

Last edited by dot : 12th January 2011 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks