Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2005, 12:22   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Seem to recall reading somewhere in this forum that the V6 was not a VTEC engine. Can someone confirm ?

The Accord V6 is most definitely a VTEC (as per Honda India site)

Otherwise, why would they slap the "3.0 V6 VTEC" badge behind every accord v6.

Though as per BS Motoring, its an i-VTEC.
Old 28th December 2005, 12:33   #32
BHPian

goldie, shuvc has read it right here in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
The Accord V6 motor isn't even an i-VTEC, though I don't know what plans they have for the 2006 model.
So now we know
Old 28th December 2005, 12:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

Honda says its an i-vtec for 2.4, but the 3.0 liters is listed as
· Type : Water Cooled, 4 Stroke SOHC V6 VTEC
Source : http://www.hondacarindia.com/accord/v6/techspecs.asp

For 2.4 specs : Water-Cooled 4-Stroke DOHC i-VTEC 16-Valve In-Line
Source: http://www.hondacarindia.com/accord/.../techspecs.asp

Incidently the new Civic is going to pump out approx 140bhp, so I guess they will have to launch the 3.0 accord as the 2.4 accord puts out 142bhp
Old 28th December 2005, 13:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if the Honda Accord V6 has power mirrors that open and close at the touch of a button either.
Yes they open and close at touch of button
Old 28th December 2005, 13:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
The Accord V6 is most definitely a VTEC (as per Honda India site)

Otherwise, why would they slap the "3.0 V6 VTEC" badge behind every accord v6.

Though as per BS Motoring, its an i-VTEC.

The motor we get in India is a VTEC only. The one BSM tested was in Thailand I think, and that was a i-VTEC motor, remember them talking about half a bank of cylinders shutting down when not required. Also it was the motor they wished would be launched in India, also had more ponies to play with.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:51   #36
BHPian

hey MotorMOM,

well, i am having the exact same concerns as u regarding the LAURA, the maintainence is definately going to be very high, and in our city conditions we cannot maintain it without bumping the bumbers and Mirrors and Headlights!

2006 Accord would be a nice choice if one can wait, but i am personally debating between the Hyundai SONATA Embera and the LAURA, and somehow the SONATA seems to be the more ideal choice for me, keeping in mind the city conditions, and the Manual gear, as most of the time it is to be driven in City traffic.

the Civic is definatley a good car, and a more "practical" seeing the city conditions, but then, if u are planning on something luxurious, then the Civic is outta question.
you mite rather look at the Sonata Embera, Accord, Camry or the Laura.

jus my 2 cents...

asta lavista!
Old 28th December 2005, 14:59   #37
BHPian

hey BOOM, here is the link to the thread pertaining the 2007 All New CAMRY!

somehow, i think its going to be pricier than the current model, as they are putting in more n more features in it "to compete with the Merc C Class" as written in the Autocar magazine! imagine Camry trying to compete with the C Class! and it states there that the Camry currently is so expensive coz its coming as CBU's , and similary, even the NEW CAMRY will mostly be CBU, so yea, more pricier!
Old 28th December 2005, 15:35   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the reason for that is because in NA, they sell like half million Accords a year and they start to look too familiar after a while. Puls I dont think there's any other major change.
Honda insists this happened due to the Sonatas blatant copying of the Accords rear end.

GTO
Old 28th December 2005, 20:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is quite intriguing why Honda has chosen to not change the rear in some markets. I mean, these are SKD kits coming out of the same plant, so an immediate switch is easily doable.

...our lazy Indian auto jurnos should get to the bottom of this by now.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th December 2005 at 21:02.
Old 29th December 2005, 13:09   #40
MotorMom

And the winner is...

Note: Post made with lots of inputs from Boom, Team-BHPians and other friends….

To start with, I would like to thank each and every one of you for helping us with choosing a car (Special thanks to neoranjit for convincing Boom to choose the Honda Civic AT). Reading all your sensible and practical posts on this thread has been a learning experience for me and I thank you all for that too.

After a lot of discussion and valuable inputs from Team-BHPians and other friends of all ages and walks of life, we have decided to go in for the Honda Civic AT as and when it is launched. The reasons for us choosing the Honda Civic over the Skoda Laura and 2006 Honda Accord V6 AT/ MT are as follows:
1. Keeping in mind that we live in a metro like Chennai and the chaotic and heavy traffic conditions here the size of the Honda Civic will be just perfect. Neither too small nor too big for dealing with traffic and/ or while parking (in Chennai, traffic is increasing and parking is disappearing at an alarming rate). This is one of the biggest reasons for us to let go of the 2006 Honda Accord V6 AT, which would’ve been the winner of our hearts otherwise.
2. Our usage is 99% city usage and 1% highway usage… The power of the Honda Civic is just right for this. While the safety features of the Skoda Laura are simply outstanding, in a city where the average speed rarely ever crosses over 9-12kmph, will those airbags even launch? (This point should NOT deter people going in for the Skoda Laura because of the safety features offered in any way… The Skoda Laura is a pure winner in India when it comes to safety features). According to a very close family friend, if Boom was really sensible, he would go in for a Swift AT with ABS/ Airbags, but asking him to do that would be as impossible as asking him to get married and bring home a nice daughter-in-law.
3. The mileage we would get with our kind of usage even when we are choosing AT will be far better than that of the Honda Accord V6 AT and/ or the Skoda Luara. Yes, the Skoda Laura is diesel, but our cars run barely 8,000kms. in a year, so, diesel hardly makes any difference to us. Honda Accord V6 and Skoda Laura are not bad on mileage when you consider the size of the engines and that they are bigger cars… they are both lovely cars.
4. For once, Boom is considering what he always asks others to consider before buying a car, but never does so himself… Cars are always a loss/ money blocked (he refuses to take finance for anything) and never an investment… Is blocking so much money good for a war you are surely going to lose as someone who likes a spotless car? No car is safe from dents and scratches in cities like Chennai. When I see the traffic conditions we face and that he wants to (again, for once) keep a car for more than 14 months, I feel the Honda Civic would be ideal and just like with the Corolla it would be just “Taxi money” (like he says) when it comes to repairs… Imagine traffic/ parking conditions two years from now.
5. As the Honda Civic has been around since the 1970s and is a 2006 release the technology in the car would be of latest standards (a big plus over the current/ 2006 Honda Accord V6). There is very little that goes with new versions of Corollas and Civics.

If conditions in Chennai were different we would’ve considered the cars as follows:
1. Skoda Laura
2. Honda Accord V6 AT (I’ve made Boom realize that in metros and cities like Bangalore ATs make more sense than MTs)
3. Honda Civic AT
I still say that the Skoda Laura and Honda Accord V6 are far superior cars, but just like how handwash is better when compared to machine wash for some clothes, the Honda Civic is just right for our usage.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your valuable inputs that have helped us to choose the right for us.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year and also ask you all to be safe and drive safe while having all the fun one can have on New Years Eve. God bless you all with the best in 2006.

I forgot to add this bit of information: According to Boom even the power of the 2006 Honda Accord has been increased apart from the design of the rear end... The 2006 Honda Accord has more or less the same BHP as the Sonata Embera. Click here for more on that.

Last edited by MotorMom : 29th December 2005 at 13:18.

Old 29th December 2005, 14:38   #41
BANNED

I would also like to thank everyone and you too, MotorMom. Now, I just hope and pray that the Honda Civic isn't stripped down (of features) to the core like the Sonata Embera was by the time it comes to us. God, help!!
Old 29th December 2005, 15:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Massiji for following my advice
Old 30th December 2005, 00:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMom
2. While the safety features of the Skoda Laura are simply outstanding, in a city where the average speed rarely ever crosses over 9-12kmph, will those airbags even launch? (This point should NOT deter people going in for the Skoda Laura because of the safety features offered in any way…
The airbags apparently deploy above 25 kmph. Pretty doable speeds in the city I think.
Old 30th December 2005, 04:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
The motor we get in India is a VTEC only. The one BSM tested was in Thailand I think, and that was a i-VTEC motor, remember them talking about half a bank of cylinders shutting down when not required. Also it was the motor they wished would be launched in India, also had more ponies to play with.
But i thot that was the same motor they are giving in the V6... The banks shutting off was one of the reasons why I was opting to buy one as it wud improve the FE dramitically.. Didnt buy the car eventually but then that surely was an excellent marketing point for them...

Last edited by EVO6 : 30th December 2005 at 04:23.
Old 30th December 2005, 13:33   #45
BANNED

Slightly off-topic, but I feel these three points will help those looking to buy a Skoda Laura:

1. When I asked the director of the Skoda Dealer here why we got the 1.9 engine? He told me, it was only because they would've crossed the 20lakh barrier if they gave us the 2.0 engine and that's something they didn't want to and nothing else.
2. The first few 100 or so Skoda Lauras will come with 8 airbags and then the ones sold after those will come only with 6 Airbags. Also, Skoda India will be hiking the price by 30-40,000 around mid -jan.
3. The Skoda Laura brochure is wrong... In India, the Skoda Laura comes with 6 speakers, not 12.

One minute they say pricing is why they didn't give us the 2.0 engine and then, the next minute, they say price hike by mid-jan.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 30th December 2005 at 13:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks