Team-BHP - Which Skoda to buy - the Laura or the Octavia Rider ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Which Skoda to buy - the Laura or the Octavia Rider ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/9559-skoda-buy-laura-octavia-rider.html)

Hey guys

I know you must be a little confused with the title cos these are two different cars (yet same)in real butttt as of now ,for me these are the two machines to choose from .. Let me explain how ...

My love with Skoda started when i bought one in the mid of 2002 and TBH i had never driven a car(leave aside the mercs and the high end cars) which were so stable at high speeds, having excellent ride quality ,a diesel engine coupled with outstanding FE(which were unheard of),pricing the petrol and diesel version at the same price(whereas the other mnfrs asking for atleast a couple of lakhs more just for that diesel engine) ...
All these things(i may be missing out one or two more) made me a hardcore fan of Skoda and i swore my next car to be a Skoda as well ...

Its been more than a year since i lost my car in an accident ,since then i 've been waiting for a new good VFM car in the range of 15-16 lacs butt as you can see ,i am still where i was 1 year ago !

Initially, (when the laura was to be launched) i was extremely keen on buying it and was happy such a long wait paying of at the end but when i saw the car at the launch it seemed the other way around ... "the End of the beginning" ..

The laura is priced at 18.10 lacs in new delhi .Initially ,my budget was 15-16 lacs but when i heard skoda launching Laura at 18ish i stretched my budget butt as its my own Hard earned money (just like yourss) i am in two minds whether to go in for the Laura cos we all know its far away being called a VFM .

On the other side when i look in the market to find any good VFM diesel car (i drive 2500-3000 kms/month approx ,so diesel is a must for me) other than the Skodas,i feel blank ... The endeavours are not my kinds and the tucson i feel is expensive for what you get and the main factor is the depreciation on Hyundai cars ..

Now ,i dont think i 've enough of options left with me except for these two/three :

1) To go in for the laura and keep it for the coming 3-4 years

2) To wait for the base version if launched within a month or two (seems unlikely)

3) The other option is to go for the octavia rider which is for 12ish ON ROAD and keep it for a year or so and invest the remaining 7 lacs(adding few more lacs) somewhere ,so that i can buy a biggieee in 2007

Initally ,i thought of going for the accord too but now i dont think its worth cos the Face-lifted version is already out in most of the int. markets and it could take another 6 months(i cant wait) for HSIL to launch it in India and above all i dont feel as good driving an accord(mainly cos of the unsettled ride and the poor High speed stability) as in octavia .

The third option seems sensible to me cos i dont know of any good luxury car ready for a launch in the coming few months in my budget(15-17 lacs)and the main reason why i am thinking of buying a octavia again is cos of its fantastic resale value but the only downside of octavia rider 1.9tdi is the lack of ABS ...
This again makes me stand where i was ..:confused:

Please let me know guys ,what do you think is a better option ,which one should i go for ?

Thanx in adv .

You said it, buddy. The Laura at 18.10 lacs doesn't seem VFM :-(
But, i think it is the DSG gearbox Laura that is coming in first, followed by the manual gearbox. The manual should slot in the 15 -16 lac range.

Since you had a skoda earlier, there is no harm in waiting to see if the base manual version of the Laura comes in within a period of 6 months.

You need to factor in the depreciation; because i think you are planning to sell whatever car you buy within 4 yrs.

So, if you can wait for upto 6 months for the base Laura, by all means do so.
Otherwise; your 2nd option seems most sensible :)

Thanx sidharth_j .

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidharth_j
The manual should slot in the 15 -16 lac range.

It should be near 16 lacs but that again would take the ON Road price of 17 lacs , i still dont think its a VFM .

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidharth_j
there is no harm in waiting to see if the base manual version of the Laura comes in within a period of 6 months.. if you can wait for upto 6 months for the base Laura, by all means do so.

Dude ,i ve already waited for more than a year ,cant wait anymore cos new cars ll keep on coming after every few months .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer
Dude ,i ve already waited for more than a year ,cant wait anymore cos new cars ll keep on coming after every few months .

Buddy,

In that case, option 2. go for it!

:)

P.S. are you so particular on ABS? I think it helps best in the wet. On dry tarmac, the skoda brakes effectively, without much problem :-). But as a safety feature, its good to have it in you car. peace of mind! ;-)

Buying a laura at this time is too risky. IF the car bombs you will have trouble finding parts and proper service.

IF laura goes the vectra way then you will have a big hole in the pocket.

best time would be to buy the laura after 6 months when the results are in.

If you drive teh DSG should make you happy. ANd more over teh Laura is loaded with stuffs that Oct L&k comes with and plus, even more safety features.

Its also a new model, more comfy at rear (?), better engine etc. Just take a test ride.

Or pray that they decrease the price and/or launch a manual one within 6 months!

and watch your 'but'. Spelling mistakes like that can be a problem when one "google's'' for something.

LAst week I saw a Laura and teh owner was chauffeured :((.

you should read boombastic's review on the "DSG"; he seemed to be satisfied. but then again, 17L is not VFM. i saw the emberra yesterday and it didn't seem like a bad deal at all. but if its Skoda u've decided on, then i guess u could/should wait for the manual.

I think laura atleast you will get ABS..

Beemer

You're spawning multiple threads on the same topic....

Pal ,

if i were you , i would get my self the DSG Laura. According to me its VFM.

As for spares and car bombing - I dont think any car will give u bother if taken care of properly and serviced regularly. yes the Skoda will be expensive on that front - but will give u years of motoring is taken care of !

Would the petrol Rider have a good resale value if you sell it after a year or two ? I mean the resale would be lower than diesel Skodas.
It would probably be better to buy a used diesel Skoda for year 2006, invest the rest of the money elsewhere and in 2007 .. voila !! Maybe you could buy the diesel Superb !

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84
Buying a laura at this time is too risky. IF the car bombs you will have trouble finding parts and proper service.

IF laura goes the vectra way then you will have a big hole in the pocket.

best time would be to buy the laura after 6 months when the results are in.

Very wise point to consider.

Also to consider: the first few 100 or so Skoda Lauras will come with 8 airbags and then only with 6 Airbags. Also, Skoda India will be hiking the price by 30-40,000 around mid -jan.

If you must only buy a Skoda, then, I feel Dev's point is to be considered more than mine.

Please be very careful if you decide on buying the Skoda Laura... They don't have test drives Skoda Lauras and are using vehichles they are selling as Demo Cars. Team-BHPians have discussed this issue ("cars which are being sold to customers being used as demo cars") in another thread on our forum. :)

jkdas - you know theres a thing called first impression .I had great expectations from the Laura but at the launch ,everything came to an end and became very clear and i was preety dissappointed with many things,main culprit being the interior space (may be i was expecting too much) .Now most of us agree its not VFM and as far as the goodies/features are concerned ,well most of them are something we can live without .

satancrazy - I am not too keen to wait for the manual version(it should be 17 lacs ON road) if i 've to choose between these two ,i think its better to spend 18ish and get that DSG box .Though, i have a confirmed news ,the manual should be launched here by feb 2006 .

devarshi - Dost, i dont think i can wait for 6 months but i agree that the lauras future is dicy .

nimish - buddy ,the mondeo is not in the race ,its a flop show here in india with a very poor resale and enough has been said on its reliability .

normally_crazy - Dost ,I hope you ve seen the car from inside ,if not then plz go and 've a look and i am sure you 'll think twice before signing the cheque ,the interior space is Pathetic(espically the width ,the shoulder room) for a car worth 18 lacs .

shuvc - I thought of buying a second hand diesel Octavia for 2006 but i know ,i cant live with that ... A new car is new by all means and i think in both the case ,the depriciation factor would be the same (30-40k here or there) .

Thanx guys for your suggesstions .. Pls let those coming in ...

Thanx a ton to the duo of a mother and her son (i think its the first of its kinds we 've on our Team-bhp) .:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Also to consider: the first few 100 or so Skoda Lauras will come with 8 airbags and then only with 6 Airbags. .

Now thats a news to me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Also, Skoda India will be hiking the price by 30-40,000 around mid -jan..

Nope ,the hike in price would not be on the Lauras but on the Octavias and superbs .

Please let those suggesstions coming in guys ...