Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Dec '91 Premier Padmini : Retain or Sell? EDIT : Keeping it !!

I own Dec 1991 Premier Padmini, which my father bought in 1998. I have been maintaining the same from 2002 myself. However, i will be moving out station for my job and can't afford to spend on it (just at begining of my career). And my father isn't interested in keeping it running by searching around spares.

Now i am left with following options:
1. To sell the vehicle to someone who is really interested in maintaining the vehicle and will retain the same- I really don't want it to end the life in scrap yard.
2. To hybernate the same for 4-5 years until i collect the money and get time to restore it completely.

Need the sencere suggestions.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dec 91 fiat to retain or sale?

Hi,
What kind of condition is your car currently in ?
"Hibernation" can be a very dangerous term, especially for Fiats / Padminis, and especially in our kind of climate. While your engine and mechanicals will certainly hold out, and can spring back to life after you take the requisite steps on your return, your body may not.
If the car already has signs of rust, chances are that it'll spread all over, and will be very difficult to attend to.
If you do want to keep the car, you will have to first see that the body is currently in ship shape - attend to all potential places where it may rust, and then store it in a dry place (like Pune). 4-5 years otherwise, is certainly a long time.
Also rubber parts may deteriorate from lack of use - especially your tyres.

Could you post pics of your car please ?
Old 1st February 2011, 23:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is such a tricky situation. Our heart wont allow us to let it go. Scrapyard? No way please!

Please post some pics. Hope it's rust free.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:30   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
Now i am left with following options:
1. To sell the vehicle to someone who is really interested in maintaining the vehicle and will retain the same- I really don't want it to end the life in scrap yard.
2. To hybernate the same for 4-5 years until i collect the money and get time to restore it completely.

Need the sencere suggestions.

OPTION 1 : Dont sell the car, unless you are in dire need of that Money.

OPTION 2 : Your car will become a Classic someday soon, its an appreciating value either running or not. Nothing will go wrong in hibernating the car. Unless done in the right way.

Keep the car, make that money you want to. One fine day, open the Garage, lift the covers off your Hibernating car and give it a new lease of life.

All the Best.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:54   #5

This question has plagued alot of people. Sadly, many have buckled under pressures and sold their cars only to regret later. Also, sadly again, as your car is a 91, it has a couple of decades to go before it becomes a genuine classic, although, for us, she already is one!!
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well there are many Fiatians in T BHP who would definitely advice you to retain the car including myself. This is the most crucial time for the person who owns and the car itself as if the car survives this phase of its life (the to sell or not to sell factor) then there are major chances of the car not being scrapped in ones lifetime.

I would advice you to retain the car, hibernate in some non-coastal region, apply old engine oil or grease to the whole body inside out, flush the radiator, jack up the car and obviously remove the battery. IMO this is what should be done to reduce the wear and tear. Further the Fiat gurus would definitely help you in this regard.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:45   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For a 91 year model my advice would be to sell. I believe it is loose as much or more value in the next say 10 years in maintenance as it may gain in age.

If it was a 70's model I would have said keep.

It is too new to be a classic in the near future.

If someday you wish to once again own one of these it will not cost too much in the next 10 years at least if you restict youself upto the 80's model.

Move on for now.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree to ACM’s point of view 91 model is too young to be called a classic, moreover there are lot many of them available in the second hand market. May be you can sell it and with that money try to buy a classic model and restore it would be some fun.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:34   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
For a 91 year model my advice would be to sell. I believe it is loose as much or more value in the next say 10 years in maintenance as it may gain in age.

If it was a 70's model I would have said keep.

It is too new to be a classic in the near future.

If someday you wish to once again own one of these it will not cost too much in the next 10 years at least if you restict youself upto the 80's model.

Move on for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I agree to ACM’s point of view 91 model is too young to be called a classic, moreover there are lot many of them available in the second hand market. May be you can sell it and with that money try to buy a classic model and restore it would be some fun.
I beg to differ on both your views.

Firstly,we classic car enthusiast's imbibe a lot of emotional value to our Family car's ,be it 80's.

Its not easy to get hold of classic cars right now. What used to be 15k - 20 k for a decent Millicento has gone up to being 1.50 lacs to 2.00 lacs, a decent Premier padmini today costs 50k to 1.50 lacs and the 118NE market has gone much beyond the values of 1 lac for an original car.

If he sells the car today, 4 years down the line, he would not buy another Premier Padmini at the price he wants. About any other classic cars....? We as Common Man (Mango People) will not be able to afford one.

Atleast for the emotional value, keep it, than regret it later.

Can we have some pics of the car that is being discussed please....
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I beg to differ on both your views.

Firstly,we classic car enthusiast's imbibe a lot of emotional value to our Family car's ,be it 80's.

Atleast for the emotional value, keep it, than regret it later.
Everything that pavan wrote is absolutely true, especially the two points above. To regret it later will be a horrible thing, and can very well be avoided by storing the car and even repairing what goes wrong.
Cheers

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 2nd February 2011 at 13:47.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I fully agree with ACM and tj123, 91 model or for that matter any Padmini is not a classic by any stretch of imagination. Was wondering how the moderators have allowed this thread to be included in the vintage and classic section because threads on still older cars like MarutiSS80 and Standard2000 have been removed previously from this section due to the fact they do not come under classics

Good Premier padminis are still available for Rs.20000to 25000/- in Kerala
Also Premier 118 NE and 138D in very good condition are also available in the range 25000 - 45000/- I am yet to hear anybody quote any sum above Rs.50000/- for a petrol 118 NE(at least in Kerala).
So my advice would be to sell this at a decent price,put some more funds and buy a classic fiat1100
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

The answer lies within yourself.

1) Are you really interested and a huge fan of the Padmini?
2) Your dad is not very interested in keeping it for the hassles of maintenance. You maintained it since 2002. Why? Was it because it had no resale value and thought you would rather keep it than sell it?
3) The cost to preserve it now and restore it later may be equal or may be more than the cost of a used Parmini that can be bought 4-5 yrs later. Remember, the Premier Padmini's are very very large in numbers. I dont see a position where it would be very difficult to obtain a good one when you return.

One thing I agree, if you decide to sell, sell it to a pure enthusiast so that the car is enjoyed and utilized. If you dont decide to sell, well and good

Last edited by funkykar : 2nd February 2011 at 15:39.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Dec '91 Premier Padmini : Retain or Sell? EDIT : Keeping it !!

Don't sell! When I was in the States for 2.5 years, a lot of people (family included) told me to sell the Jeep. No ways. When I came back, she was a rust bucket....no surprise, after standing still for such a long time right next to the ocean. Well, I put her through a thorough rebuild and got her as good as new.

Till date, no regrets as I love her to death. Find a friend who's willing to care for her in your absence. A win-win arrangement would be thus : The car stays yours, the friend can use it F-O-C. His only cost is to maintain it well.

EDIT : Just wanted to add that, if I'd sold my Jeep when I was away, I'd be devastated today. No, I'm not kidding

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2011 at 19:42.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OPTION 1 : Dont sell the car, unless you are in dire need of that Money.
What need of money! what money will it fetch anyway. We sold off ours for 5k (imagine that) Somebody bought it for use of its 'body iron'. This was i n Delhi. We sold it off because we din't have place in our house or heart anymore to keep it.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't sell! When I was in the States for 2.5 years, a lot of people (family included) told me to sell the Jeep.
=======
His only cost is to maintain it well.
Having gone through this mistake of selling vehicles multiple times, i now have learned this lesson to an extent. If your vehicle is decent shape and can be stored safe, just keep it!! So i fully agree with GTO Sir

Find that thread on long term storage and enjoy her whenever you visit hometown. I did that with my RD350 for a year and every time she used to start with a kick or two and bring back the grin on my face.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks