Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2006, 04:43   #1

Do you own a Toyota Corolla? Need your guidance on a buying decision!

Hi there,

Do you own a Toyota Corolla? I need your guidance on a purchase I'm planning.

What has your experierence with the Corolla been? (Please refer to experience in India only). What are the Pros and Cons?

For instance, my take on it is:
Pros: Great engine, decent mileage, functional
Cons: Lack of character, slightly overpriced

When you respond, please highlight a) the number of years you've owned it,b) the model number, c) the city you live in, and d) typical usage pattern.

I plan to make a purchasing decision in the next few weeks, and would appreciate your help!

-A
Old 3rd January 2006, 04:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't own a corolla,man. But, Can u wait till june for the civic to be launched?? It'll definitely make a sensible choice.
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

We own the first corolla 1.8 H2 to have been sold in Mumbai in 2003.
It has done 30,000km and the typical useage pattern currently is 50km/day.
It has had a few accidents also.
Here is my take on it -
Pros -
Space, looks, Fuel Efficiency, power, service, interiors
Cons -
Suspension. you might think our car's suspension isn't as good as it has been banged but the fact is, even my friends who own corollas are facing the same problem. Because of the increased ride height, handling is not the best and the ride has a distinct hard edge to it. Sometimes, in many other corollas done roughly 20-30Kkm, the suspension groans when people sit or exit.
The suspension however has been rectified a bit in the new corolla.

Overall we are quite happy with the car right now (it keeps on changing but its mainly happy).
Old 3rd January 2006, 13:56   #4

The Corolla is mechanically quite a good car. But the experience at the dealerships is quite bad -- esp. with the 2 dealers in Bangalore.

I've owned a 1.8E ("H2" model) for about 1.5 years, and have had a miserable time with Toyota's premium dealer in Bangalore. See my rather detailed rant in Mouthshut.com for details :http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Ravi...a-50844-1.html

Question to ask is whether you really want post-purchase headaches after investing so much into buying a car.

The scary part is that the dealer problem seems to be an all-India phenomena. Mouthshut has various postings of Corolla owners complaining about bad service experiences. Letters to the company (Toyota Kirloskar Motors) are either shrugged off, or ignored.

In that price range there are a lot of other options available. You might want to consider them, before making up your mind.

Best of Luck!

PVGM
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:06   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moved to the "What Car?" section. Please post your queries in the relevant section.

GTO
Old 3rd January 2006, 17:18   #6
BHPian

I too test drove a Corolla a few days back before i decided to buy the Laura. the Test Drive Car was driven around 5,000 km, and i should say, i had no fun driving it around. interiors and alll are nice n of good quality, but are very basic for a car of that league. The interiors of Optra are far better.

The engine wasnt as smooth as i expected. there was a slight roughness in it. that could have been a problem in that car, but i drove a couple of friends Corollas too, and had faced similar feeling. overall, a car that will never stop middle of the journey, but nothing "special" of it.

My suggetion too is to wait for the CIVIC coz that has some class of its own.
Old 4th January 2006, 11:32   #7

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I've owned a BMW, a Nissan, and a Plymouth in the past when I've lived in the States.

Overall, while I feel that I am paying a premium for the Corolla here, it is very understated, and its longer term reliability will pay off.

Thanks again.

Best wishes for the new year ahead.

-A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks