Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 15:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees

We are dreaming about our next car

As many of you know I am in the market to get a new ride for myself and have been researching TBHP for the last 5-6 months for all kinds of reviews and driving impressions, some of your writings and travel logs have influenced me in a big way and are surely helping me in deciding my next ride. Some of the things that I think would need in my next car are as follows

Looks
The car should look appealing from all angles. I know looks are subjective but still I thought this is something I need to pen down as a requirement.

Peace of mind
This is absolutely must, cont think of me spending long time in repairs and sometimes the car needs to take some beating, may not be attended to immediately. For example my Baleno sometimes complains but we cannot give it for long service (Over 1-2 days of repairs) as it was the only car doing school pickup/drop service and not being available meant kiddo missing school.

Safety
Should definitely have 2 Airbags and ABS as standard, BTW most of the cars in this price range have this.

Music
This is something that is important to me, all my audio CD’s are packed nicely and kept in the attic. I have all those CD’s ripped in lossless format and play that in my Western Digital Media Player attached to a 1TB drive (almost full) of Music. Hence moral of the story I don’t need 6 CD changers (read Altis) never will, the iPods cant store all my music hence I don’t use one hence I may not use Aux in support much, what I will use most of the time is USB support, which is only available in Civic and Kazashi. I have still not understood why this isn’t available on all cars in this price range when this is a common feature in sub 10L cars?

TCO
Have a feeling Skoda’s have higher TCO than Honda’s and Toyota’s. Also after reading some horror stories on Skoda I am little jittery in buying one for myself as I surely need to keep the car for at least 7 years or closer 100,000 Kms.

Split Seats/Access to Boot
while this may sound as something which is elementary but I think it’s more important than that. As we travel with Kids and lot of times Kids get restless and need something to kill time (Like eating, watching movies, reading story books or playing some game with Mom) for this I need to stop the car and access the boot from behind the car and get the stuff the kiddo wants. This shows down our progress hence access to the boot from within the cabin area is something that helps.

Spirited Driving
We both love spirited driving and hence the driving should be a pleasure

Budget
This is one aspect which we consciously decided not to get too fixed on hence there are only guidelines, Like for example it should be above 10L, Should be spacious as folks sleep when we travel. Have fixed 15L OTR as a sweet spot, we could move this to about 10% north or south depending on what we like. (Heck I would like to move it 50% but its proving to be more difficult than I earlier thought)

Petrol or Diesel
Well this questions does not matter to me at the moment (I think) as in last 5 years my Baleno has done 48,000 Kms and i am sure the rate would be similar for the new car, as once it arrives the new one will serve Kiddo and old one will be with me doing office duty.

Test Drives
We love our test drive route on the sarjapur road, its got the straight roads where you can touch 3 digit figures, its got two of our favorite humps to test the GC of the car, and hence we usually take the car on that route for test drives.

So what are the options that I have? Starting with Cruze, The reliable Altis, The fun to drive Civic, The buttery engine Laura, The (Yuck) Innova, The sluggish Tata Aria, and the cult following of Tata Safari. Folks please don’t laugh at the list, you might ask (Dude what do you want to buy Car/MUV/MPV/SUV, first decide what you want). My answer I would look at everything that I can buy with the money I am spending and then decide, because some of the things you only decide once you drive the vehicle and feel it and if that means changing segments (From Car to SUV) so be it.
And last but not the least my dream car. Did I miss Anyone?

Any suggestions from T-BHPians?
Next Test Drives starts.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees OTR

1) Civic replacement is near, there is a thread on the same in Indian car Scene. Not sure when the car is coming here, but getting in and out of rear seat is a bit tricky.

2) Altis is the more practical option given that you are ready to spend Rs. 15 lakh OTR price.

3) Cruze again has the similar problem of rear seat i.e. getting in and out is a bit tough and somehow, I felt that the seat is cramped.

4) Innova is probably the most practical buy you can have with the given budget. Gets all the things right except spirited driving and acceleration is on slower side as compared to Cruze, Altis, etc.

IMHO, TD all cars, and I suggest that you have a particular eye on SX4, Innova and G3HC.
There are threads in Indian Car Scene which hint at an arrival of new Accent with a good diesel unit. IMHO, its worth waiting for that car. Also there are some rumors about new Fiesta sedan.

If you are in a hurry, go TD SX4, G3HC and Innova. They all are pretty good cars and particularly SX4 is very good VFM too. IMHO, with the price rises, Civic and Altis are no longer VFM and even G3HC is not that good VFM. The practicality + good ride, suspension, reliabiltiy, comfort, etc. make Innova also a good choice.

Cruze is also good option, but given the GC matter, I have posted that as an option.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th February 2011 at 17:44. Reason: Remove OT comment.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is one car that fits all you listed and doesn't fit what you did not list i.e., mileage, resale value etc. I own one last 40 months and absolute 'peace of mind' so far. Have done couple of long drives, pushed the baby to 160 clicks, yet subtle and sober in B to B traffic. And this one would leave couple of lacs in your pocket too for other things.!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 14th February 2011 at 17:53.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:27   #4
BHPian

I would seriously suggest the 1.8 Petrol Laura.

And I recommend this basis some of what I see in your post above: You dont crave the pointlessness of A/T - which only means you will drive your car the way you decide and not some silly programme.

It does not have USB support. Just get rid of the stock entertainment package and replace it. You can get you USB if it really matters so much. Personally, I wanted that too, but after driving the Fabia, I kinda figured what meant more.

The 1.8 engine on this car is the same as the Audi A4 - so drive it like you stole it if you want to. The car looks good and is built like a tank, apart from all the regular safety features.

But really, take it for a spin and see if it works for you.

The Cruze is also an absolute rocket, however I prefer the handling on the Laura. But the Cruze does give you a couple of gimmicks over the Skoda. The Civic is a quality car but is a little dated now, however Honda gives you piece of mind and great resale.

I heard the the horror stories about Skoda and was jittery but decided with my heart. Also I think Skoda India is restructuring and has been able to get somewhere with their service. At least I hope so!
Old 14th February 2011, 20:54   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

mayankjha1806, i think you should have Linea Tjet plus too in your TD list. I think it will meet most of the parameters laid by you.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post

+1

The 1.8 would suit the bill perfectly.

If you are willing to go pre-worshiped, a BMW perhaps?
Old 14th February 2011, 21:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Looks

Peace of mind

Safety

Music

TCO

Split Seats/Access to Boot

Spirited Driving

Budget

Petrol or Diesel

Test Drives

Starting with Cruze, The reliable Altis, The fun to drive Civic, The buttery engine Laura, The (Yuck) Innova, The sluggish Tata Aria, and the cult following of Tata Safari.
And last but not the least my dream car. Did I miss Anyone?
Have you considered Skoda Yeti? Except USB port, it might meet all your requirements.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-pictures.html
Old 15th February 2011, 06:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

These are the options I can think of
1) Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI or 2.0 TDI CR DSG: Within your price range some of the comforts mentioned (steering mount controls) maybe missing. But excellent machines anyway. And there are some informative threads here to refer to.
2) Skoda Yeti: Fits well for your requirement, except for the price. The OTR will be above your budget, and more so in Bangalore.
3) Fiat Linea T-Jet: Again a great car, and maybe you can get an audio upgrade with the cash saved.
4) Honda Civic: Still a very good looking car. The replacement version pictures are going around, but personally I feel that its a step backward as far as styling is concerned (from the current Civic). And I hear that they have now added some more features like sun-roof. I feel the current Civic will continue to run for some more time in India.
5) Honda Jazz: Not mentioned in your wish list, but I suggest that you give a thought to the Jazz X. Excellent family car, and ticks a lot of your requirement. TD and see the driveability part
Old 15th February 2011, 06:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
Do you own a Laura yourself, if yes, for how long have you been using it and how has been the A.S.S of Skoda? any problems so far? and more important how is cost of repairs?
Old 15th February 2011, 09:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is one more requirement that i guess i missed.

Space
I already have Baleno and i think we would need more space than we alreay have in Baleno as in long drives the rear seat is beacoming a bit of cramped. Hence Honda Jazz (is out), the same is the case with Sx4 (As i think it has the same amount of space approximately, NHC is also out as neither of us liked it.

Yeti (hummmmm) dont you think its overpriced for the space you get?
Old 15th February 2011, 10:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Space
I already have Baleno and i think we would need more space than we alreay have in Baleno as in long drives the rear seat is beacoming a bit of cramped.
Yeti (hummmmm) dont you think its overpriced for the space you get?
Well. Looks & image cost a lot. So does an efficient design (Yeti is 4x4, more carlike than other SUVs, impeccable fit & finish).
Tata Aria is good (sapcious, VFM) but for its curb weight which is more than 2100Kg! Hauling that much weight leads to more wear and tear in long term. However if you wish to drive it sensibly than it can serve you well. You don't have to climb in it as one usually does in an SUV.
Have a look in person before deciding.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 15th February 2011 at 11:03. Reason: typo
Old 15th February 2011, 12:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
2) Altis is the more practical option given that you are ready to spend Rs. 15 lakh OTR price.

4) Innova is probably the most practical buy you can have with the given budget. Gets all the things right except spirited driving and acceleration is on slower side as compared to Cruze, Altis, etc.
Can i change the Audio system of Altis, i have read folks changing that in Fortuner and other cars not in Altis. Anyone has done that could let me know.

Yes Innova is most practical i agree, but somehow i just don't like that car, and hence wouldn't buy it for sure. I do need more space but for now the space offered by Altis/Civic/Laura is sufficient. Also when i need that much space i would rather buy my dream (Fortuner) or if i dont have that much cash to spare i would settle with Good Old Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Well. Looks & image cost a lot. So does an efficient design (Yeti is 4x4, more carlike than other SUVs, impeccable fit & finish).
Tata Aria is good (sapcious, VFM)
Have a look in person before deciding.
I haven't driven Yeti but when i sat inside one i did not like the space it offered. Aria is out of question, we drove it none in the family liked it and i felt it was very-very sluggish (Even as compared to Safari) maybe TATA should have put in a 3L engine in Aria.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th February 2011 at 07:51. Reason: Back-to-back posts again !! Please go through our rules.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can i change the Audio system of Altis, i have read folks changing that in Fortuner and other cars not in Altis. Anyone has done that could let me know.

Yes Innova is most practical i agree, but somehow i just don't like that car, and hence wouldn't buy it for sure. I do need more space but for now the space offered by Altis/Civic/Laura is sufficient. Also when i need that much space i would rather buy my dream (Fortuner) or if i dont have that much cash to spare i would settle with Good Old Safari.
Altis is currently being refreshed in different countries, but not sure when its due in India. Not much of a driver's car, but it makes a loads of sense if you are in the market for space and family practicality, and its quite loaded with features.
Along with Altis, Civic and Laura, even the Yeti should be a good option to look for.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
These are the options I can think of
1) Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI or 2.0 TDI CR DSG: Within your price range some of the comforts mentioned (steering mount controls) maybe missing. But excellent machines anyway. And there are some informative threads here to refer to.
Laura is being considered, if only Skoda A.S.S was better it would have been a easy pick. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Quote:
2) Skoda Yeti: Fits well for your requirement, except for the price. The OTR will be above your budget, and more so in Bangalore.
As stated earlier, i think this one also offers very less space as compared to others in this price range.

Quote:
3) Fiat Linea T-Jet: Again a great car, and maybe you can get an audio upgrade with the cash saved.
No FIAT please.

Quote:
5) Honda Jazz: Not mentioned in your wish list, but I suggest that you give a thought to the Jazz X. Excellent family car, and ticks a lot of your requirement. TD and see the driveability part
Its much smaller than my Baleno and hence not an option.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees OTR

This Sunday I called Dakshin Honda for test driving the Civic, the SA promised he would arrive my home at 4:30 pm. We needed to finish some shopping on MG Road, once done with that we were at home well before 5pm waiting for him to arrive. He arrived at 5:15pm

The car looks cool from outside and same from inside. The instrument cluster is futuristic and nice colours. The seats are leather along with door padding’s looks cool. The steering is smaller than usual (at least my Baleno) and is sporty.

I start near my home, first up the speed breaker near my house. I take the car slower than usual and it clears without any scrapping, next we take her to sarjapur road to test on our favorite hump (The one near the railway line). Initially i take it as i normally should and hear the big Bump in under body. Then drive to Sarjapur, easily touched 120+ speeds without any fuss. While returning was more careful on the Speed Breaker and took the car diagonal and this time Whoa! it did not scrape. Moral of the story this baby can conquer tall breakers if taken care.

Here are the first impressions

The Audio is first thing I check, decent music and it can play from USB as well (Awesome). Has AC vents under the seat hence the rear of the car gets cold very fast. Has lots of space to keep knick knacks, rear seat is spacious, access to Boot from rear seat isn’t available (Don’t understand why?). Was surprised to see the 5th Wheel as non Alloy (OMG I thought only Europeans did this not Japs). Does not have steering mounted controls (Not something that I would miss). Has Sunroof (Sexy cooooool).

So the underbody does scraped a few times and is bad, but if you know the limitations of the car and treat it accordingly I think it would be ok. Some other Civic owners have been having underbody scrapes and haven’t had any major repairs; hence looks like it will be ok.

Next, test Laura, Altis and others
Well, today got my T-BHP membership upgraded from "newbie" to "Bhpian" - Priceless
Closed Thread

Most Viewed