Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 17:50   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios or Tata Manza?

The full payment upfront before stockyard arrival seems quite an unreasonabe demand. Rather, the part payment demand would be okay but that too voluntarily. Julupani's comments are quite noteworthy. The full payment is only required to be made before the car is to go for registration and maybe made post stockyard PDI only. Then you will not be left with issues of non-arrival of car, any damages in transit, in stockyard to the car. A dealer would definitely demand full payment fomality before the car goes for registration and then dealer would not be left with the issues of the car registered and payment not arrived in the prospects of various issues of backing off or delay in pickup of the car by the customer etc.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:12   #137
BHPian

Well My 2 Cents;

TATA Indigo Manza only when its Diesel else go for Etios ( If you can survive the below par interiors).
Old 13th April 2011, 18:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Gautam

First of all congrats on the decision. It was really a tough call deciding between Manza and Etios. Both are great in their own world and there are no deal breakers.

Regarding the Full Payment clause, its not acceptable at all. It could be risky as others have mentioned already.

Hope you get your Etios soon and we get to some nice pics and a detailed report.

All the best!
Old 13th April 2011, 19:13   #139
BHPian

Hi Gautam, congratulations on the decision. Obviously, you should pay the down payment and then pay the remaining amount during the delivery.

The dealership would try to get the money out of you at the earliest, but it is upto you to negotiate the deal. If they have to make a fresh order for your car, then obviously delays would be high. Otherwise the dealership has just to allot a VIN from the existing / incoming stock. They should know all the details of those.

Finally, it is your call.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:10   #140
BHPian

@ GTO - oops, sorry for the choice of words. Was coming from the perspective that when Toyota's own dealership attitude was actually biasing me against the Etios (and definitely not earning their commission), your input helped me stop and think about my decision more objectively. Yours/T-bhp's views and reviews are the last word for many of us as they have a guarantee of being honest, objective and detailed. Wouldn't dream of implying anything else.

The dealer insists that they can't formally allot me the car or release VIN / chassis no until they get full payment - say that Toyota's system does not allow re-assigning cars, so once they assign to me they are committed. Sounds unconvincing but didn't want to argue too much at this point - decided to trust them for now.
BTW they also tried very hard to force be to buy a TGA package for ~Rs. 5,800 - claiming that Toyota has made it compulsory, but I absolutely put my foot down and they relented. Adding this is for the information of other prospective Etios buyers.
This is going a bit OT I guess, so will stop here. Hopefully will have the car next month and look forward to putting up a buying/ownership review soon after. Thanks again to all for your inputs and good wishes.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:54   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
@ GTO - oops, sorry for the choice of words. Was coming from the perspective that when Toyota's own dealership attitude was actually biasing me against the Etios (and definitely not earning their commission), your input helped me stop and think about my decision more objectively. Yours/T-bhp's views and reviews are the last word for many of us as they have a guarantee of being honest, objective and detailed. Wouldn't dream of implying anything else.

The dealer insists that they can't formally allot me the car or release VIN / chassis no until they get full payment - say that Toyota's system does not allow re-assigning cars, so once they assign to me they are committed. Sounds unconvincing but didn't want to argue too much at this point - decided to trust them for now.
BTW they also tried very hard to force be to buy a TGA package for ~Rs. 5,800 - claiming that Toyota has made it compulsory, but I absolutely put my foot down and they relented. Adding this is for the information of other prospective Etios buyers.
This is going a bit OT I guess, so will stop here. Hopefully will have the car next month and look forward to putting up a buying/ownership review soon after. Thanks again to all for your inputs and good wishes.
Congratulations Gautam. Finally you have received your allotment. Are you going to pay the full sum before it arrives or have you to asked them to wait till you see it in the yard. BTW, any idea where is their yard ?

I cannot PM you so I've used the Email feature and emailed you via the TeamBHP forum. Please check your mailbox associated with the team-bhp ID.

Last edited by danny25 : 14th April 2011 at 13:05. Reason: Correction and Addition.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:52   #142
Senior - BHPian

First of all Congratulations!
It's a great car. And am sure it will live up to the expectations you have layed down from it.
Regarding the payment upfront. Well i am not too happy with that. Try and insist that the dealership needs to have the car in the stockyard, so you can atleast have a look at it before you lay your money down. Many manufacturers take advantage of the long waiting list, the customer is tired of waiting for so long and is eager to get their hands on the steering of their new car. Push the dealer hard and try not to pay before you see.
Also you could send an e-mail to toyota to confirm the same.
It may come to light that this may not be a toyota policy, but the dealer trying to get the money out of you at the earliest. Also glad you put your foot down on the TGA matter. Seems the dealer is trying their luck, which makes me suspect more that it's the dealer and not toyota asking for the upfront payment. We all know of the advantages toyota dealers were taking when the t-fort was launched. Forcing buyers to lap us accesories and kits to bump up in the waiting line.
Good luck with the rest of the formalities and glad you are going to take the famed PDI list with you.
Keep us posted.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:14   #143
BHPian

Hi all! Finally got my Etios! The car landed at dealership around April 21st itself, so perforce ended up making full payment only after it had landed. PDI went smoothly and I finally took delivery yesterday. After some (real/feigned?) ignorance about the 4% booking-interest payable the dealership finally adjusted it against accessory costs. Have driven the car about 30 odd kms so far. Will put up an ownership report once I've had more experience.

Guess this thread can be closed?
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:28   #144
Team-BHP Support

Congratz gautam109. Will look forward to your purchase experience and ownership review.

Locking the thread as requested.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed