Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 19:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

1 to mdsaab's views.

A whole lot of car at that price. If you intend to keep it for, resale would hurt little and it should be a good car.

Search for Skoda vs Optra Magnum on the forum for some views and polls and you'll find some interesting info.

Have sent you a mail via the forum Pravs.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:02   #92
BHPian

Folks - how about adding to the confusion with this - Verito

Considering all your parameters, the car flies however is a segment lower (actually 2 as the Optra if handled properly should have been in the league of civic et al) but you get a refreshed launch which isnt going to be phased out and you may lose lesser money in the long term.

Food for thought.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:30   #93
BHPian

Verito definitely does add to the confusion. But will the new badge be sufficient to remove the 'cab' tag of Logan?

Got an offer for a 2010 Feb LT Optra Magnum with 11000 kms on Odometer @ 7 lakhs negotiable. Sound very attractive. Will be checking out the vehicle and then decide.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

Saw Anand Mahindra's tweet about the Verito. Seems the car will stay around for a while now. Mahindra has also offered to produce this car for Renault to export out of India.

(mate, your intelligence hasn't been ruined ;-) )

@Norules, getting 3Lacs knocked off for 11k kms seems like a very sweet deal. Mouth watering. All the best - hope the car is in good condition and the meter hasn't been tampered with. Some more experienced members on the forum may be able to tell us how to detect that.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

i don't think the new badge will cure the cab tag, though the logan / verito is a great car no doubt. if you are going to compare it with the optra, then i think it's a no brainer the optra wins hands down.

The 2010 LT optra sounds like a juicy deal. please give us your feedback after checking it out.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:07   #96
BHPian

mdsaab & Poitive: Damn..it turned out to be a disappointment. The car had met with a big accident recently and hence the owner wanted to sell it. I did not even check it out because the dealer himself rejected it.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:28   #97
BHPian

Poitive - I assume the decision is still open. If yes, and if you have not already done, please take a look at the last 2-3 pages of this thread. This analysis is in the process of being updated. Might help you to take an objective call. Needless to say, Optra LT Diesel tops the chart so far!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anking-22.html
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 13:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
mdsaab & Poitive: Damn..it turned out to be a disappointment. The car had met with a big accident recently and hence the owner wanted to sell it. I did not even check it out because the dealer himself rejected it.
@NoRules, It just gets my thoughts on what was mentioned earlier in the thread - that diesel cars seldom get sold before 30-35 on the odo, which does make a lot of sense. One is probably just hoping to be lucky to get a good one at less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Poitive - I assume the decision is still open. If yes, and if you have not already done, please take a look at the last 2-3 pages of this thread. This analysis is in the process of being updated. Might help you to take an objective call. Needless to say, Optra LT Diesel tops the chart so far!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anking-22.html
@Amit, Yes Amit, the decision is still open. You have provided a very valuable link. Is a wonderful thread. Thanks. As per the stats there, amongst the diesels, the Optra also has a pretty short braking distance. Second shortest from 11 diesels.

---------------------
For the Optra, one seems to almost be getting a car with specs, comforts (am not referring to gadgets here) and thrills of a 13-15L car paying 9-10L with maintenance comparable to a 7-8L car! And to top it all, it is a Diesel!!!!
---------------------

Some unexpected turn of events is keeping the purchase (and also the decision of which one) away.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Keeping the confusion alive, the Optra scores the the highest (amongst diesels) in a comparison done by Smartcat at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2342968 . On the flip side, the Optra may be more expensive to maintain, with a member reporting minor services at about 6k and major ones around 12k to 18k. ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2338143 ) Would suggest anyone considering a sedan to check up smartcat's thread. Not to take it as some bible, but as a good basic reference. We all may assign different weights to the aspects considered to reach our own ranking.

Mahindra has made the Verito (Logan) seem a lot more appealing ( Mahindra Verito Gallery | Mahindra Verito Models | Mahindra cars ). It also seems that the Verito/Logan will be around for a while now. Some threads talked about it lasting 2-3 lac kms. Now that sure is longevity. Though the Verito has started to knock on the doors, it seems it will remain out of the radar for now, unless one hears something very very special.

The battle between the Manza and Optra carries on in one's mind (and heart). Even though it seems that the new Fiesta and Verna will not offer comparable sitting space and comfort, am likely to wait to check them out too.

Some posts talked about a change in Optra's specs. Bhp from ~120 to 125 (though at a higher 3800rmp) and Torque down from 314 to 305 (at 2000 rmp). It is verified on the company broshures too. Only the older Optra Magnum is available for test drive though. Any idea of how the new one drives and if it is as much pleasure to drive it? Any idea of other changes which may have been incorporated?

Last edited by Poitive : 9th May 2011 at 19:03. Reason: spellings and other errors
Old 12th May 2011, 18:08   #100
mxx
BHPian

@Poitive:
First thing you have to make up your is weather you are perfectly ok with spending money on an outdated model or not. Outdated does not mean its bad. Infact that is the reason you are getting this car which is a segment above at this price. And you get all the things you expect from cars in a segment above-more space, bigger and more powerful engine etc, Except handling-when compared to current favs. Now, since GM has not announced anything regarding optra, They might not kill it immediately. If GM introduces a new sedan in this segment, the optra will die a slow death. But for that we are speaking of a timeline of 1-2 yrs. And since there are decent number of optras on the road, you can be assured of parts being available without much problems for 4-5 years from when it is stopped. That means in your ownership period, you are not likely to face any problems. Ofcourse, this is being optimistic that GM is going to handle this correctly-ie supply of parts.

If you are perfectly ok with spending on an outdated model:
Optra it is

If you are not perfectly ok with spending on an outdated model:
You are not comfortable in rear seat of vento, means linea(rear headroom),fiesta classic(rear legroom) and new fiesta(rear legroom) are out of question. Which leaves you with Manza, Verito and new Verna. I dont know about the new verna except what I have heard/seen from auto show reviews and read from tbhp. Between Manza and Verito, both are good contenders, verito comes with less creature comforts/gizmos, which is ok with you. But, according to reports in tbhp, they last without much problems. Manza's space is something you cant get from any other car in its segment.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 23:36   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
(mate, your intelligence hasn't been ruined ;-) )
- nice observation
We are waiting; lets see some action! I have a strong feeling that your heart is set on the Optra but mind doesnt budge. Go ahead with the Manza (dont see any reason for regrets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
+1 to that.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Poitive:
First thing you have to make up your is weather you are perfectly ok with spending money on an outdated model or not. Outdated does not mean its bad. Infact that is the reason you are getting this car which is a segment above at this price. And you get all the things you expect from cars in a segment above-more space, bigger and more powerful engine etc, Except handling-when compared to current favs.
Almost precisely my thoughts mate.

Thanks Mxx. You seemed to have gone through the thread in ample detail and understood the dilemma.

Quote:
Now, since GM has not announced anything regarding optra, They might not kill it immediately. If GM introduces a new sedan in this segment, the optra will die a slow death. But for that we are speaking of a timeline of 1-2 yrs. And since there are decent number of optras on the road, you can be assured of parts being available without much problems for 4-5 years from when it is stopped. That means in your ownership period, you are not likely to face any problems. Ofcourse, this is being optimistic that GM is going to handle this correctly-ie supply of parts.

If you are perfectly ok with spending on an outdated model:
Optra it is
The Optra does seem to have a lot going for it, except focus from the company (for good reasons - to not eat into the Cruze). I hope it ends up like the Accents, Santros, Maruti800's of our world - going on and on as they offer value beyond the normal lifecycles.

I am quite OK with the outdated stuff, given the other benefits. The parts was one of the major concerns.

Quote:
You are not comfortable in rear seat of vento, means linea(rear headroom),fiesta classic(rear legroom) and new fiesta(rear legroom) are out of question. Which leaves you with Manza, Verito and new Verna. I dont know about the new verna except what I have heard/seen from auto show reviews and read from tbhp. Between Manza and Verito, both are good contenders, verito comes with less creature comforts/gizmos, which is ok with you. But, according to reports in tbhp, they last without much problems. Manza's space is something you cant get from any other car in its segment.
If the new Verna seems suitable on a TD, I'd be surprised, given how most Hyundai's are - a bit delicate, too well-rounded-please-all sort of cars. But surely will try it. Between the Manza and Verito, am inclined towards the Manza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
- nice observation
We are waiting; lets see some action! I have a strong feeling that your heart is set on the Optra but mind doesnt budge. Go ahead with the Manza (dont see any reason for regrets).

+1 to that.
Heart vs Mind it is.

The purchase is not being delayed because of indecisiveness, but for other reasons. But since there is time to have deliberations, one is having them

Eventually it may simply boil down to if one is willing to spend that extra ~2L or not. Somehwere, I do "hope" that I end up with the Optra ;-)
Old 13th May 2011, 11:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hi Poitive, thanks to you for bringing out this thread & all others who have pitched in with their thoughts. Very fruitful discussion for someone like me who would be in the market at end of this year or early next year for a diesel sedan with a 10 lacs budget By that time my trustworthy Indica would be well beyond 1 lac kms & raring to go, but someone in the family is vying for it & this for me seems a good reason for an upgrade.

Till date I have gone through a couple of ownership threads on Linea, Verna, Manza etc. Now after going through this thread, its time to go through the Optra threads.

Please keep this thread ticking with your test drive experiences & your buying decision
Old 13th May 2011, 11:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest that you go with your heart in this decision. At the end of the day, just think if you would be happier sitting in an Optra looking at another Manza/ Verna, or sitting in a Manza/ Verna and looking at an Optra. As long as you dont sigh and wish for the other car, thats your decision made!

If I were in this situation, my choice would be:
Optra > Manza > Fiesta > Linea/ Vento
Just my $0.02; I am not a fan of the Verna

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th May 2011 at 11:04.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Poitive, thanks to you for bringing out this thread & all others who have pitched in with their thoughts. Very fruitful discussion for someone like me who would be in the market at end of this year or early next year for a diesel sedan with a 10 lacs budget By that time my trustworthy Indica would be well beyond 1 lac kms & raring to go, but someone in the family is vying for it & this for me seems a good reason for an upgrade.

----------

Please keep this thread ticking with your test drive experiences & your buying decision
My attempt was to not just seek opinions from the forum and not give anything back, but to share whatever I observe too, so that others with similar requirements find the thread useful. Am glad you do.

About keeping the thread alive, there is not too much more on my mind left to say. Guess it would happen with the TD's of the new launches. Would be good if others too shared their experiences to make this a reference source of entry level sedan choices and not just about my purchase decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I would suggest that you go with your heart in this decision. At the end of the day, just think if you would be happier sitting in an Optra looking at another Manza/ Verna, or sitting in a Manza/ Verna and looking at an Optra. As long as you dont sigh and wish for the other car, thats your decision made!

If I were in this situation, my choice would be:
Optra > Manza > Fiesta > Linea/ Vento
Just my $0.02; I am not a fan of the Verna
I clearly see myself being happier in an Optra looking at others. Even more so as I expect it will be mainly from the rear view mirror ;-)
Provided of course, that it is not stuck at the service centre for lack of parts

Vitamin M allowing, would probably end up taking that risk. The Manza does have a lot of Head appeal though.
As of now, my list reads:
Optra > Manza > SX4 (like the space, not the A pillar blind spot) > Linea.
The new Verna and the yet to be launched Fiesta would probably fit in somewhere depending on the inside space etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks