Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is a VFM second hand diesel car under 4.5L?
Ford Fusion plus 18 9.47%
Ford Ikon 3 1.58%
Ford Fiesta (old) 49 25.79%
Mahindra Logan 33 17.37%
Swift Vdi 57 30.00%
Ritz Vdi 20 10.53%
Any other vehicle (suggest on the thread) 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 22:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Close your eyes and go in for a logan. A great car to drive and is economical. Zero turbo lag, best for city traffic. The car does give 17+ in city with a.c and 20+ on highways full full load and luggage. The Engine is the best of its class. The top speed too is 190km/h and the car is extremely stable at high speeds too. You wont be able to make out even if your are doing triple digit speeds. The back is very very confortable and can sit 3 people with ease and even 4 people if you want. We had a logan and did 46000 kms in two years. Try to look for a car made in 2008 as they have hydro- mechanical clutch and 2009 onwards they gave fully hydraulic clutch. And ya the speering is very response and far better than dzire, manza as it's hydraulic steering.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:47   #47
BHPian

Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

I would suggest Indica Vista, i got a new one in March last year and have been fairly happy (except for a few niggles, which were taken care by Tata service obediently). It fits most of your requirements (GC mainly which am really happy about), very spacious, comfortable ride, good engine and external build is quite good too (try lifting the bonnet when you check out one and you would know)
Old 18th April 2011, 17:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Close your eyes and go in for a logan. A great car to drive and is economical. Zero turbo lag, best for city traffic. The car does give 17+ in city with a.c and 20+ on highways full full load and luggage. The Engine is the best of its class. The top speed too is 190km/h and the car is extremely stable at high speeds too. You wont be able to make out even if your are doing triple digit speeds. The back is very very confortable and can sit 3 people with ease and even 4 people if you want. We had a logan and did 46000 kms in two years. Try to look for a car made in 2008 as they have hydro- mechanical clutch and 2009 onwards they gave fully hydraulic clutch. And ya the speering is very response and far better than dzire, manza as it's hydraulic steering.
A Hydro-mechanical clutch is better than a fully hydraulic clutch?
Old 21st April 2011, 07:09   #49
BHPian

Fusion engine and transimission spares are same with Fiesta so no problem with that. Most of other spares are getting imported, The localization of Fusion is much lesser compared to Fiesta. For example the steering assembly is different in Fusion and the price is huge. Having said that it is a really good car. I am going to buy back my old car.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:34   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wow! you really sound like you miss your Fusion! amazing if you're going to buy it back!!
Every time I see a Fusion TDCi Plus pass by I regret that I didnt buy it in 2008 and went for a Scorp instead. I really loved the Fusion with ABS and so on.
But I was slightly unhappy that at 8.03 lacs(on road Bangalore at that time) this didnt have Airbags and didnt have as much luggage space in the back for my kind of holiday usage habits. That was the only reason I chose the Scorp at the time over the Fusion.
Its really sad that Ford discontinued this nice, versatile and highly under-rated vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Having said that it is a really good car. I am going to buy back my old car.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:32   #51
BHPian

Any luck finalizing the car yet? I am in a similar sort of a dilemma but only considering hatches so your decision and evaluation will help.
Also, let me know of any fusions [diesel, abs] if you come across them during your search. Its working out to be a tough find
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow! you really sound like you miss your Fusion! amazing if you're going to buy it back!!
Every time I see a Fusion TDCi Plus pass by I regret that I didnt buy it in 2008 and went for a Scorp instead. I really loved the Fusion with ABS and so on.
But I was slightly unhappy that at 8.03 lacs(on road Bangalore at that time) this didnt have Airbags and didnt have as much luggage space in the back for my kind of holiday usage habits. That was the only reason I chose the Scorp at the time over the Fusion.
Its really sad that Ford discontinued this nice, versatile and highly under-rated vehicle.
The car was a fialure just because Ford could not able to transalte the good things of the car to Indians heart. Everybody thought that why I should pay for a small car like Wagon-R. When I bought mine it was 8.3 (1.6L petrol) onroad and 7.27 ex-showroom ...
Old 29th April 2011, 17:18   #53
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2011 at 13:35.
Superleggera is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2011, 17:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Fusion engine and transimission spares are same with Fiesta so no problem with that. Most of other spares are getting imported, The localization of Fusion is much lesser compared to Fiesta. For example the steering assembly is different in Fusion and the price is huge. Having said that it is a really good car. I am going to buy back my old car.
There was a black 2006 Fusion 1.6 ABS for sale in Hyderabad on the TBHP classifieds a few days back. Yesterday the ad was gone.Hope it found some buyer. I was so drooling over it. The price quoted was just 2.95 lakhs with around 47k on the Odo. Only if I had the money and space , I would have snapped it.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have not read the rest of the thread BUT here is my advise - Buy either the Verna Diesel or Fiesta Diesel - Both should be around 4 - 5 lacs for a 2007 / 2008 model. Look for one around 50k mark.

Keep in mind with the new versions being launched for both the cars the older models are bound to take a slight dip in the used car market.

Right now both these sedans are well sought for and you see not too many used ones in the market.

Also try a used Optra Magnum Diesel in that price - the only minus point being spares are a bit more pricey when it comes to GM.

Hatchback Used - Swift VDi is a good bet BUT again its a hot selling car so prices are quite ridiculous and not worth it in my opinion. I have seen 40k done Swifts selling for 4 lacs !! That is quite a lot considering you can buy a new one at 5.5 Lacs.

Fusions never sold in big numbers so makes it all the more difficult in finding one.

By the way a friend of mine just picked up a 2006 Skoda Octavia L&K Diesel for 4.5 lacs done about 75k. That was a sweet deal - well mantained huge sedan. The after sales and service is another thing. But he says Skoda engines are built like a tank. It is only if you get a lemon that you are in trouble.

If I were you I would not look beyond a Fiesta / verna.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:52   #56
BHPian

Below info is based on the ownership of the following cars:

2007 Logan
2008 Dzire Petrol
2010 Dzire Diesel
2004 Ikon Flair

Maintaining a used Diesel Logan is going to be expensive unless you find a vehicle which has done just about 20-30k kms, parts are expensive and yes they do fail often after the 3-4year mark. The Diesel engine does rack up to 2-3lakh kms without trouble but other parts need frequent replacement.

Examples: A Logan battery costs Rs. 8,000 while even Xylo and Scorpios batteries cost between Rs 5-6000. A Swift's battery costs around Rs. 4,000.

A Bridgstone tyre for logan costs Rs. 4500, Swift Rs. 3200. (Swifts tires last longer too).

Logans clutch cable costs Rs. 800, Swift's Rs. 380 (Logans clutch and accelerator cables need frequent replacement - at least once a year if not more).

The point is, in a 3-4year old car you would need spares ans spares for both Fiesta and Logan are going to be pricey, much higher as compared to Swift. Clutch, shockers, cables all of those cost higher and with a smaller service network, older cars really aren't the priority for Mahindra and Ford dealers, worse you can't get them fixed outside the A.S.S.

Swift/ Ritz can be serviced outside of A.S.Ss but you wouldn't ever need to because there are so many A.S.Ss.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 13:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have not read the rest of the thread BUT here is my advise - Buy either the Verna Diesel or Fiesta Diesel - Both should be around 4 - 5 lacs for a 2007 / 2008 model. Look for one around 50k mark.

Keep in mind with the new versions being launched for both the cars the older models are bound to take a slight dip in the used car market.

Right now both these sedans are well sought for and you see not too many used ones in the market.

Also try a used Optra Magnum Diesel in that price - the only minus point being spares are a bit more pricey when it comes to GM.

Hatchback Used - Swift VDi is a good bet BUT again its a hot selling car so prices are quite ridiculous and not worth it in my opinion. I have seen 40k done Swifts selling for 4 lacs !! That is quite a lot considering you can buy a new one at 5.5 Lacs.

Fusions never sold in big numbers so makes it all the more difficult in finding one.

By the way a friend of mine just picked up a 2006 Skoda Octavia L&K Diesel for 4.5 lacs done about 75k. That was a sweet deal - well mantained huge sedan. The after sales and service is another thing. But he says Skoda engines are built like a tank. It is only if you get a lemon that you are in trouble.

If I were you I would not look beyond a Fiesta / verna.
Our friend who's looking for advice here, is based out of Nagpur, I am sure resale prices in and around Nagpur are going to be way higher as compared to Delhi/ Agra prices. I just moved to Bangalore and was shocked to see people selling 2008 Swift Vdis for 5-5.2lacs, even 2008 Altos for 2.7lacs!
Old 16th June 2011, 23:05   #58
BHPian

Sorry to hijack this but this felt most appropriate as many have recommended a fiesta diesel.

Those available have a mileage of around 50k-65k kms on the odo if they are genuine.

Any comments from ford fiesta owners who have done more than this about the future problems/ repairs ? What about FE past this mark? Does it drop?

Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 10:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Those available have a mileage of around 50k-65k kms on the odo if they are genuine.

Any comments from ford fiesta owners who have done more than this about the future problems/ repairs ? What about FE past this mark? Does it drop?
Optimist, which one you are looking for? Petrol or Diesel Fiesta ?
If you search the forum , there would be many Fiesta Ownership threads.
Few I am posting here for your convenience
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ey-begins.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...esta-tdci.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...hs-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...65-000-km.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...er-fiesta.html

And here is Suman's Petrol Fiesta with over 100,000 clicks on the odo.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ing-low-6.html

happy reading!!
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 17:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Optimist, which one you are looking for? Petrol or Diesel Fiesta ?
If you search the forum , there would be many Fiesta Ownership threads.
<long post cut>
happy reading!!
I had read most of the fiesta thread and reviews. What i did not find was what it will cost if i get a bad/lemon engine and/or eventually have to redo the whole thing as I was looking to keep the car for a min of 4 years / 60000km.
Inputs from those who have redone their engines will be appreciated.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks