Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 03:11   #5566
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Any DIY or product available which I can apply on the door to prevent this ?
I was thinking about a thick cloth or something but couldn't find the way to stick it.

Something like the attached picture.
You need a doggie hammock or a seat cover with side flaps. Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Vailge-Covers...11079316&psc=1
I guess you could also make something like this on your own as a DIY project.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:12   #5567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
My passenger door is all scratched up from inside because of inconsistent and never tiring need for my dog to look out of the window - thereby scratching the inside of the door by mistake.
Any DIY or product available which I can apply on the door to prevent this ?
GutsyGibbon has suggested the hammock from Amazon. In case you can't source it, you can try what I did. Bought a single cot cotton mattress and put a cover. Bought a rubber sheet and inserted into the cover of the mattress. Tied the mattress to the sides of the car. In my case this protected the pet from moving violently inside the car due to the movements of the car.
The whole thing is reusable. The rubber sheet is to protect the cotton from the drool of the pet.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:24   #5568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Also, get him vaccinated.
I would suggest yearly doses of rabies and tricat trio (works against feline calicivirus (FCV) and feline herpes virus type 1 (FHV) and feline panleucopenia virus (FPLV).)
Not a yearly dosage - one time vaccine with a booster dose does the work effectively for life. Checked this in detail with multiple vets across India and the US.

Rabies shots on the other hand might be relevant on an annual basis, especially if one has a cat that stays or is exposed to the outside world.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 14:35   #5569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not a yearly dosage - one time vaccine with a booster dose does the work effectively for life. Checked this in detail with multiple vets across India and the US.

Rabies shots on the other hand might be relevant on an annual basis, especially if one has a cat that stays or is exposed to the outside world.
Please check the Tricat portion of my earlier post for the longevity of protection.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4861002 (Team-BHPians and their Pets)

I am not aware of any booster shot other than administering the same dose yearly.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 15:08   #5570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Please check the Tricat portion of my earlier post for the longevity of protection.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4861002 (Team-BHPians and their Pets)

I am not aware of any booster shot other than administering the same dose yearly.
One online recommendation especially from a pharma firm's subsidiary site doesn't make a rule. The pet owner and his vet are the best judge with regards to their own pets (/cats).

What I mentioned is the views/experience of my vet in US and now my current vet in India. The FVRCP vaccine (also known as 3-in-1 vaccine) has always been administered in two rounds - with a gap of 3-4 weeks in between the initial and the booster dose. Also most vaccination references generally mention "go with vet's recommendation" as a disclaimer, which is what I have said earlier too.

Ref. for booster dose

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th December 2020 at 15:21. Reason: Reminder to self - less arguments! B nice :)
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:12   #5571

Hello Folks,

I am trying to bring home a German Shepherd pup and most places I knock I get absurd quotes ranging from 25k and going upto 60k (30K is the start for pups with KCI papers). I dont follow dogs and breeding much until last month but pricing for a decent pup seems out of the world. Is it just me or is this the new reality ?
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:44   #5572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post
Hello Folks,

I am trying to bring home a German Shepherd pup and most places I knock I get absurd quotes ranging from 25k and going upto 60k (30K is the start for pups with KCI papers). I dont follow dogs and breeding much until last month but pricing for a decent pup seems out of the world. Is it just me or is this the new reality ?
If I may suggest (like a lot others here), please see if you can adopt a dog. If you are very keen on a German Shepherd itself, you may have to wait a bit, please connect in your circles and you'll definitely come across something.There are groups on FB etc where they keep listing such ads.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 05:17   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Of course it is the reality. Actual purebred pups are expensive, don't buy from backyard breeders or anybody who doesn't give you KCI papers, it generally won't be worth it due to the medical expenses you'll face later on for poorly bred dogs.

Just adopt an indie (street dog, mongrel, call them whatever) from your local animal shelter - let the dog choose you rather than you go shopping for the dog
hserus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:08   #5574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Blame it on the Covid. Suddenly everyone needs a dog in their life because people are going insane sitting indoors and do not know what to do with their time.

However, always adopt and never shop. Ideally, local shelter is the place to go to and adopt. But if you want a particular breed then it will take time and patience but eventually something will come along. I had 3 GSDs. All adopted and looking for forever homes. Took alot of time searching for them since I wanted GSDs only but did manage to adopt all three of my dogs through friends/acquaintances and networking. And now with social media its relatively easy to source one.

Last edited by bigron : 24th December 2020 at 10:16.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 14:36   #5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
However, always adopt and never shop. Ideally, local shelter is the place to go to and adopt. But if you want a particular breed then it will take time and patience but eventually something will come along. I had 3 GSDs. All adopted and looking for forever homes. Took alot of time searching for them since I wanted GSDs only but did manage to adopt all three of my dogs through friends/acquaintances and networking. And now with social media its relatively easy to source one.
Thanks a lot! This makes perfect sense. I am not in a hurry and like swiftnfurious , hserus & you suggest adopting makes it a win-win situation. GSD's fascinate me ever since I attended a dog show so for now will look out for them specifically.

I will update this thread once I am able to zero in & adopt one.
PradoGdr88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 14:55   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! This makes perfect sense. I am not in a hurry and like swiftnfurious , hserus & you suggest adopting makes it a win-win situation. GSD's fascinate me ever since I attended a dog show so for now will look out for them specifically.

I will update this thread once I am able to zero in & adopt one.
You think adopting is a win? Many GSDs are abandoned because they have anger issues due to poor training or letting kids unsupervised near them, or health issues due to poor breeding, etc etc.

It is like adopting a child - or in some cases, adopting an adult if you get an older dog. You are likely to be in for a world of trouble, and will need love and care.

If this is your first time, get a puppy - and don't bother about the breed.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 15:50   #5577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You think adopting is a win? Many GSDs are abandoned because they have anger issues due to poor training or letting kids unsupervised near them, or health issues due to poor breeding, etc etc.

It is like adopting a child - or in some cases, adopting an adult if you get an older dog. You are likely to be in for a world of trouble, and will need love and care.

If this is your first time, get a puppy - and don't bother about the breed.
What he would need is actually a world of patience. Getting home an older dog or a big dog like GSD that has had a traumatic puppy hood is a recipe for disaster.
Will take twice as much time, Love and care compared to a puppy.
First time owners should always stick to puppys.
I tell my friends who want to get a dog, it's a commitment of a lifetime and unlike a human child they never grow or speak.
I fear a lot of people who have bought dogs in the least 6 months to kill boredom will eventually neglect them once things are slightly normal and leaving the dog in a sad state.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 16:46   #5578
Distinguished - BHPian

Passing through the unfortunate situation of one of my 8 month old cat swallowing a small needle yesterday night. We took him to the vet immediately and got an xray done - the needle was in the stomach.

Currently on a wait-n-watch today to see if there is any vomitting or the needle passes out via stool. The plan is to get the surgery done tonight.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? If yes, please do share any advice/suggestions.
Old 24th December 2020, 17:00   #5579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Passing through the unfortunate situation of one of my 8 month old cat swallowing a small needle yesterday night. We took him to the vet immediately and got an xray done - the needle was in the stomach.

Currently on a wait-n-watch today to see if there is any vomitting or the needle passes out via stool. The plan is to get the surgery done tonight.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? If yes, please do share any advice/suggestions.
That is an unfortunate incident.
I do not know since have not encountered this situation.
I pray that the needle is removed safely without any harm to the kitten.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 17:55   #5580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What a great point! I was a small child with two Alsatians, as we called them. Neither had any interest in me at all. They were absolutely not family dogs, and didn't much want anything to do with anyone but my mother. They were completely safe, just disinterested. It was such a huge change when we got a Golden Retriever puppy, She and I were able to be puppies together.

Since leaving home I have been a cat person, so won't try to advise further. Except... Do listen to those who know the breeds and their traits well.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks