Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 01:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

A barber who owns a Rolls Royce Ghost and a fleet of other cars

Friends, I am not sure if this has been discussed in the forum but recently I came across this pretty unbelievable story. Ramesh Babu, a barber by profession actually owns a RR Ghost and also a fleet of beemers and mercs.
Check out this The barber who owns a Rolls, News - Cover Story - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

Hats off to Ramesh Babu for whatever he is doing and also being so humble at the same time.

Source: Bangalore Mirror.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th April 2011 at 01:50.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:52   #2
BANNED

Re: A barber who owns a Rolls Royce Ghost and a fleet of other cars

If it is Ramesh of the Ramesh Tours fame, he is a well known luxo cab operator across the country now. He is one of our official vendors as well.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Arent those cars on lease plates? I thought cars have to have taxi plates when renting them out? Or maybe its different in Bangalore.

Congrats to him on his business. But I doubt humble is the right word after he bought a Ghost .
Old 26th April 2011, 02:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Truly and uplifting story!
from a mere 5 rupees a day to owning a rolls.
its also obscenely expensive to rent at 75k a day.
shows what the right business sense and the right contacts can do, and ofcourse luck too.
That is one lucky chap!
Old 26th April 2011, 02:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Arent those cars on lease plates? I thought cars have to have taxi plates when renting them out? Or maybe its different in Bangalore.

Congrats to him on his business. But I doubt humble is the right word after he bought a Ghost .
He still cuts hair for 65 bucks. Is'nt that humble enough for a RR owner.
Old 26th April 2011, 02:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Friends, I am not sure if this has been discussed in the forum but recently I came across this pretty unbelievable story
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
.. he is a well known luxo cab operator across the country now. He is one of our official vendors as well.
Ah..just today, we had a 'detailed' discussion about this 'barber'ian . Yes, this is the same guy who operates a fleet of luxo cabs.
Old 26th April 2011, 03:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I am not sure if this has been discussed in the forum but recently I came across this pretty unbelievable story. Ramesh Babu, a barber by profession actually owns a RR Ghost and also a fleet of beemers and mercs.
Check out this The barber who owns a Rolls, News - Cover Story - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

Hats off to Ramesh Babu for whatever he is doing and also being so humble at the same time.

Source: Bangalore Mirror.
Amazing story of Ramesh Babu.Such modesty even after owning so many high profile cars.

Last edited by hillram : 26th April 2011 at 03:25.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:10   #8
BHPian

Trully amazing.Its rare to find people of this tribe.No matter that gleaming Rolls parked outside, his head surely is in the right place.Inspirational!!
Old 26th April 2011, 20:12   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I know a barber who charges 250 bucks / haircut and has a net income of 7 - 8 lakhs per month. Of course, it's not all from cutting hair himself. He's got a staff of 30, and makes big bucks from the hair colour, blow drying & other allied services. Even bought a property (from his own earnings BTW) 5 years back, which is worth atleast 5 crores today. And spent 60 - 70 lakhs on the interiors! Best of all, he's a little over 30 years old.

Can easily buy an S-Class no?
Old 26th April 2011, 20:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

There was this other guy, Bollywood stylist who owns an A4. Looks like he's in his 20s.

Forget the name..seen in our Supercar section.
Old 26th April 2011, 23:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, I know a barber who charges 250 bucks / haircut and has a net income of 7 - 8 lakhs per month. Of course, it's not all from cutting hair himself. He's got a staff of 30, and makes big bucks from the hair colour, blow drying & other allied services. Even bought a property (from his own earnings BTW) 5 years back, which is worth atleast 5 crores today. And spent 60 - 70 lakhs on the interiors! Best of all, he's a little over 30 years old.

Can easily buy an S-Class no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
There was this other guy, Bollywood stylist who owns an A4. Looks like he's in his 20s.

Forget the name..seen in our Supercar section.
MODS he aint no bollywood stylist, neither does he charge 250 bucks for cutting hair . he still charges 65 bucks and cuts hair everyday. That keeps him grounded.
Old 27th April 2011, 00:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He still cuts hair for 65 bucks. Is'nt that humble enough for a RR owner.
Quote:
MODS he aint no bollywood stylist, neither does he charge 250 bucks for cutting hair . he still charges 65 bucks and cuts hair everyday. That keeps him grounded.
Butttt, he still drives to work in an RR.

Just goes to show, people with brains can make money in any profession.
Old 27th April 2011, 02:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about brains, but looks like I'm in the wrong profession.

Guys

he is not a barber (not any more anyway) any more than Rajiv Gandhi was a commercial pilot.

He is a luxury car fleet owner - I think his hair cutting work is a nice PR touch. There is hardly any other way to network with the potential customers in question. To become a member of Bowring Institute you need to be a sitting minister (and then wait some time) ! It is humility but also self interest (and who gives a **** about the few thousands he makes via haircut fees anyway - he charges way more than that in per-day car rental).

Lease taxis have to bear yellow number plates in Bangalore too (all Meru cars do). However our man most likely has top bureaucrats and ministers in his pocket - so what the hell are you talking about (though for all I know he might have paid the commercial road tax)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th April 2011 at 13:34. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Humble as he is, he was both lucky and exploited this opportunity. Since he had good contacts in the form of admin staff in new MNC's setting up during the late 1990's. They hiredhis cars and he reinvested in more vehicles. Add to that the BPO boom and he's laughing
Old 27th April 2011, 11:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

There is a lovely movie in Tamil

Maya Kannadi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Cheran plays a young man who comes from Thiruvannamalai to Chennai with dreams and hopes about the future. He gets a job in a men's beauty parlor in Chennai. Every day, he observes and learns more about life in the city. He starts to dream and build castles in the air. Navya Nair plays Maheshwari , who works in another beauty parlor and who also has desires of her own. The rest of the story is about what happens to these two people. This three hour long film has similar themes compared to Cheran's previous films. The key message in this movie is that each person's life is in his own hands.
The hero wants to become a movie star. He gives up his job at the barber shop and tries hard to pursue his dream. After a lot of struggle and even some jail time. He meets the guy who owns the barbershop he used to work at.
The owner reminds him that people liked getting hair cut by him, not because he was charming or a great entertainer. But because he had a skill. His own life (the owners) is a testament to how hard work can make you successful. Its a very good movie. Highly recommended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks