Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2013, 23:30   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Help me Save a Peacock

Good to know that there are still people who care for animals.
Not trying to sound insensitive but if he was indeed dying of old age then I would have rather had the cats feed on him. Thats how nature works, doesn't it? Such instances are always full of dilemma. Whether you save the animal/bird or let nature run its course.

Why the postmortem? Are peacocks an endangered species?

Last edited by drmohitg : 31st August 2013 at 23:32.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Sorry to hear the Peacock did not make it, Akshay you did the best for him in his final minutes but his time had come. may the bird R.I.P. Wish help was available more faster to him might have changed things I guess.

Was the bird suffering from any disease or was death due to starvation, not able to hunt for food due to age factor. Just curious to know if the postmortem gave any any information.

-Sajan
Sajan,he used to come over daily,so starvation was not the cause.
Old age was,as uncle observed,rest i will know in a day or two once postmortem is conducted tommorow.

@Drmohitg-Its a national bird,and killing it is a punishable offence,hence the postmortem.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 31st August 2013 at 23:38.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:40   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Not trying to sound insensitive but if he was indeed dying of old age then I would have rather had the cats feed on him. Thats how nature works, doesn't it? Such instances are always full of dilemma. Whether you save the animal/bird or let nature run its course.

Peacock is our National Bird. Harming it in any way calls for registration of a criminal case/F.I.R. There have been numerous incidence where herds of peacock were found dead due to intentional poisoning by a few greedy people. Peacock is endangered or on the verge of being endangered. So, every reported death of peacock requires a postmortem and report by wildlife authorities. What happens on ground actually, is an altogether different story.

Very recently, at one of the Janmashtmi decoration stalls of a prominent Delhi temple, I saw artists dressed as one famous lord with so much of peacock feathers on their back. In no way that amount of feather were collected from the peacocks dropping their feathers as a natural process. And people were awestruck at beautiful setup depicting their favorite gods, not realizing what all have gone into that. So much for religion!!
Old 1st September 2013, 04:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Peacock is the national bird hence the involvement of cops. Not too long back stray dogs had attacked a peacock at Princeton Estate in gurgaon. If I remember correctly officials and cops were involved in the post-mortem process.
Besides we need a few birds apart from crows and pigeons which have replaced the pretty sparrow and beautiful birds like the Peacock/Peahen.
Old 1st September 2013, 06:30   #65
BHPian

akshay4587, I appreciate your kind heart to help that peacock. Sad to know it's no more. You had an opportunity to serve this spiritual and also a national bird. RIP.
Old 28th February 2014, 09:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

I was out of home for almost a month.
After I returned, I used my washing machine (which is in the utility area of my apartment, and is wide open) last Sunday. I thought I heard some birds chirping. I also noticed bird droppings in the utility area. But I did not bother.

Today I noticed some twigs sticking out from the bottom of the washing machine. When I bent down to see, I saw a broken egg, clearly indicating that it had hatched and the bird had flown away.

I dug in more and found an unhatched egg. I have now kept it in a pot, on mud. What do I do with the egg?
I want it to hatch, so that bird population in Bangalore increases by 1.
But I don't want to take the responsibility of feeding the hatchling, or ensuring its safety.
Old 1st March 2014, 18:42   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

I dug in more and found an unhatched egg. I have now kept it in a pot, on mud. What do I do with the egg?
I want it to hatch, so that bird population in Bangalore increases by 1.
But I don't want to take the responsibility of feeding the hatchling, or ensuring its safety.
Nice situation Either you can wait for the eggs to hatch, else call up PFA. They will arrange for pickup. I had the problem of small pigeons falling out of their nest which was in the utility duct of my house. Since they couldnt fly, they were just lying on the ground, which made them vulnerable to cats and dogs. Hence, I called up PFA who sent down a volunteer. The only thing I did not feel comfortable or rather unpleasant was the volunteer whose number I was given openly told that he needed some donation for the service. I thought I was donating towards their organisation and accepted the request.

Once he came home, I was not present and he just took the cash I had given to the security along with the bird and went without any sort of acknowledgement or receipt for the donation.

After a few days I found another pigeon in the same place This time I had to go near their animal shelter near BGS Global hospital and personally dropped the bird there. They took it in happily and did not even mention anything about any favours. Then I came to know that this could have been a case of a money hungry guy who came to pick up the bird.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks