Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 02:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

You can feed Arnica, but homeopathy (no offence to believers, and let's not turn this into a homeopathy thread) works via placebo, and our baby pigeon will have opposite of that if anything.

If there is a possibility of infections then the bird probably needs antibiotics - I'm not a vet and a vet's what you need (even if you do believe homeopathy can help, a proper vet is in store for you) to find out which one, how much and how often.

Feeding the pigeon is a good idea - give it some (cooked, and dried) dal soup too - all babies need protein and cooked food is easier to digest (birds give regurgitated food to their young).

And yes, eventually you'll need to get rid of it - pigeons are really dirty.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

VINA, Astonlobo, prateek, absynthguzzler wolfhrt, shortshifter and V-16. Thanks for all your help. The babe is doing much better now. . It can walk and is flapping its wings quite often now.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, would like to know what you would have done if you saw a crow chick being attacked by some other predator!

Anyway this act shows you have a soft nature with your heart in the right place! Here is wishing the baby pigeon well. Hope it grows up to be a healthy adult and thanks you by suitably "decorating" your car parked outside!
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
VINA, Astonlobo, prateek, absynthguzzler wolfhrt, shortshifter and V-16. Thanks for all your help. The babe is doing much better now. . It can walk and is flapping its wings quite often now.
Well congratulations and here's some bad news:

the baby needs to learn to fly now and without its parents around that is very hard.

If you haven't already then now it is a good time to contact a vet and/or city's zoo or aviary.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

the baby needs to learn to fly now and without its parents around that is very hard.

If you haven't already then now it is a good time to contact a vet and/or city's zoo or aviary.
Thats not true, the baby bird can learn to fly on its own. I have had these dumb pigeons lay eggs in my veranda and sometimes the little ones falls down from the nest and then it becomes my responsibility to feed and protect the helpless bird until it can fly. This usually happens in 3 sometimes 4 weeks.

Pancham

Powdered rice, Green gram these things will eat just about anything they get. Power it well make it a watery paste and feed the little one.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Thats not true, the baby bird can learn to fly on its own. I have had these dumb pigeons lay eggs in my veranda and sometimes the little ones falls down from the nest and then it becomes my responsibility to feed and protect the helpless bird until it can fly. This usually happens in 3 sometimes 4 weeks.

Pancham

Powdered rice, Green gram these things will eat just about anything they get. Power it well make it a watery paste and feed the little one.

Nice to know that I was wrong in this case.

Last summers I left the windows open and woke up at 5am by the racket caused by sparrows. Turned out one of their young had fallen via the open window into my guest bedroom. The baby was scared, though not hurt at all and I thought "returning" it would be the best - took a lot of effort which eventually turned futile when the baby went out the front door, and then ran directly into the lift-shaft

Next time I'll just keep it for a few days.
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:47   #22
BHPian

Gotta agree with Vina that pigeons are filthy creatures. They also crap a lot. No wonder they're called flying rats.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Just out of curiosity, would like to know what you would have done if you saw a crow chick being attacked by some other predator!
I 'think' I would have done the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Anyway this act shows you have a soft nature with your heart in the right place! Here is wishing the baby pigeon well. Hope it grows up to be a healthy adult and thanks you by suitably "decorating" your car parked outside!
I would certainly not want to be thanked in that manner. Well decorating a neighbour's car is a better idea I think.
Quote:

I think I will keep it with me for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Pancham

That is indeed good news for me. Currently, powdered rice is what is being fed. And i gave it Arnica too.
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

My wife (a vet) suggests that you can supplement the food you are giving with Vitamin drops. Keep the pigeon warm. If it is doing well now and flapping the wings, it will survive and will keep you busy with the cleaning of poo!!
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Can you elaborate a bit what kind of vitamin drops I can give it?
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well wishers here is some good news. Had a wonderful evening with 'Chirpie'. Yeah!! That is what I have named him, or is it a her. I am still not sure. Anyway, he was in a very playful mood today. He kept on poking my feet and followed me all over the balcony. Had good fun. And yeah, he was flapping its wings a lot today. Just like the smiley in the above line. lol

Last edited by Pancham : 3rd May 2011 at 23:41.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can feed Arnica, but homeopathy (no offence to believers, and let's not turn this into a homeopathy thread) works via placebo, and our baby pigeon will have opposite of that if anything.

And yes, eventually you'll need to get rid of it - pigeons are really dirty.
Hmmm, homeopathy is not a placebo. I know that its widely quoted, but placebo's dont work on animals, and I've seen homeopathy work in curing hematoma in a dog. Wonder whether the dog knew if it was a placebo.

Pigeons eat and crap, its normal. We do the same. That does not make them dirty. Did you know that the royals used to keep these "really dirty" pigeons as pets? And do you know that there are over 200 varieties of pigeons? And do you know that some of them are so regal and prized that they sell for thousands of dollars?
Old 4th May 2011, 01:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well wishers here is some good news. Had a wonderful evening with 'Chirpie'. Yeah!! That is what I have named him, or is it a her. I am still not sure. Anyway, he was in a very playful mood today. He kept on poking my feet and followed me all over the balcony. Had good fun. And yeah, he was flapping its wings a lot today. Just like the smiley in the above line. lol

Really great news. Now is the time for you to upload some more pictures (and may be a few videos - load into youtube and then post the link here)
Old 4th May 2011, 01:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have taken a video and i will upload it for sure.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit what kind of vitamin drops I can give it?
B complex would be fine.
Great to hear that the little bird is doing fine - it probably now thinks that you are the mother

Most Viewed