Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 02:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
B complex would be fine.
Great to hear that the little bird is doing fine - it probably now thinks that you are the mother
wouldn't it need vitamin D too? I'm not sure whether birds get it from sunlight (thanks to their feathers, the skin is largely protected from sunlight).

Also rice powder is very deficient in almost all nutrients - you can mix some daal powder (gram daal besan for example).

If you eat eggs at home then you can add some powdered shell too - that would give it calcium.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Well wishers here is some good news. Had a wonderful evening with 'Chirpie'. Yeah!! That is what I have named him, or is it a her. I am still not sure. Anyway, he was in a very playful mood today. He kept on poking my feet and followed me all over the balcony. Had good fun. And yeah, he was flapping its wings a lot today. Just like the smiley in the above line. lol
Jus saw this thread. Very happy to hear what you've done.
Guess he must be more than 10 days old when you found him, or else he wouldn't have been able to eat anything other than it's mother's feed.
I too think that your baby pigeon will start flying once his wings are strong enough. That instinct will be inbuilt in it's genes. Once it flies it will soon find a partner and your house will be it's love nest.

Even my balcony was home to a pigeon couple. They came and laid a couple of eggs one day and started building a crappy nest on the floor. Felt bad and i kept a shoe box nearby. They made it their home and lived with me for close to 2 years.
Contrary to popular opinion my pigeons weren't dirty. Infact they never used to soil our balcony or shoe box. Only when they give birth, the little ones dirty the box and i replace the shoe box, once the little ones fly away to explore the world. The parents always stayed back.

They lay eggs very often. But i did't allow them to hatch it everytime.
I allow them to hatch once in every 3 or 4 egg cycles. Population control... These fellows have an enormous apetite. They eat very fast and their regular feed was Jowar. Finally after spending more than 500 lovely mornings with these cute fellows, we had to vacate that house as it was a rented one. Will upload pics of my pigeons tomorrow.

To know more about Pigeons visit this forum Pigeon-Talk - Powered by vBulletin
Old 4th May 2011, 16:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit what kind of vitamin drops I can give it?
Visyneral Multivitamin Drops should be fine.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Well wishers here is some good news. Had a wonderful evening with 'Chirpie'. Yeah!! That is what I have named him, or is it a her. I am still not sure. Anyway, he was in a very playful mood today. He kept on poking my feet and followed me all over the balcony. Had good fun. And yeah, he was flapping its wings a lot today. Just like the smiley in the above line. lol
Good job Pancham. Your pigeon seems to be quite healthy. Like someone else pointed out, it probably thinks you are it's parent.

Is it making any sounds yet?
Old 5th May 2011, 16:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Gotta agree with Vina that pigeons are filthy creatures. They also crap a lot. No wonder they're called flying rats.
We tried getting rid of them by setting of loud crackers, keeping plastic bags close to where they rest, spraying water on them but they just keep coming back in greater numbers.

Rats are easier to deal with. With Rats you can kill and poison them but I cant do that to these harmless dumb pigeons.
Sometimes I feel sorry for these birds and end up feeding the little ones

Pancham
Good to know its doing well. They dont need any vitamins just feed it regularly 2 times a day.

It should stat making sounds like this little fellow soon
Old 6th May 2011, 00:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
B complex would be fine.
Great to hear that the little bird is doing fine - it probably now thinks that you are the mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
wouldn't it need vitamin D too? I'm not sure whether birds get it from sunlight (thanks to their feathers, the skin is largely protected from sunlight).

Also rice powder is very deficient in almost all nutrients - you can mix some daal powder (gram daal besan for example).

If you eat eggs at home then you can add some powdered shell too - that would give it calcium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Jus saw this thread. Very happy to hear what you've done.
Guess he must be more than 10 days old when you found him, or else he wouldn't have been able to eat anything other than it's mother's feed.
I too think that your baby pigeon will start flying once his wings are strong enough. That instinct will be inbuilt in it's genes. Once it flies it will soon find a partner and your house will be it's love nest.

Even my balcony was home to a pigeon couple. They came and laid a couple of eggs one day and started building a crappy nest on the floor. Felt bad and i kept a shoe box nearby. They made it their home and lived with me for close to 2 years.
Contrary to popular opinion my pigeons weren't dirty. Infact they never used to soil our balcony or shoe box. Only when they give birth, the little ones dirty the box and i replace the shoe box, once the little ones fly away to explore the world. The parents always stayed back.

They lay eggs very often. But i did't allow them to hatch it everytime.
I allow them to hatch once in every 3 or 4 egg cycles. Population control... These fellows have an enormous apetite. They eat very fast and their regular feed was Jowar. Finally after spending more than 500 lovely mornings with these cute fellows, we had to vacate that house as it was a rented one. Will upload pics of my pigeons tomorrow.

To know more about Pigeons visit this forum Pigeon-Talk - Powered by vBulletin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Well, every one is entitled to his/her own opinion, and I dont intend starting a debate too, but I simply have to disagree when you call it a placebo effect, cos I have seen homeopathy work in chronic illnesses. I could show you personal evidence as well. If you're interested, PM me.

My problem? I like pigeons, and don't appreciate you calling them dirty. I agree they can be a bit of a nuisance, but not dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Visyneral Multivitamin Drops should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Good job Pancham. Your pigeon seems to be quite healthy. Like someone else pointed out, it probably thinks you are it's parent.

Is it making any sounds yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
We tried getting rid of them by setting of loud crackers, keeping plastic bags close to where they rest, spraying water on them but they just keep coming back in greater numbers.

Rats are easier to deal with. With Rats you can kill and poison them but I cant do that to these harmless dumb pigeons.
Sometimes I feel sorry for these birds and end up feeding the little ones

Pancham
Good to know its doing well. They dont need any vitamins just feed it regularly 2 times a day.

It should stat making sounds like this little fellow soon
Thank you everyone for your valuable advice and kind wishes. Chirpie is making a lot of noise like 'chee chee' or 'quee quee' and it is also jumping around. I think it drank Red Bull by mistake.
Old 6th May 2011, 07:28   #37
BHPian

The Jain Temple ( Lal Mandir ) opposite Red Fort in Delhi runs a very big free bird hospital. Once I had taken a hurt pigeon there and they had accepted that. There were thousands of birds of all kinds in their premises. Enquire from any Jain Temple there, if they have any such facility in Calcutta. They will give you best advice or if you wish then they will also accept the baby bird.

3 cheers to you for taking care of the baby.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:38   #38
Team-BHP Support

I simply hate pigeons. They poop on the balcony, on the railings. The sleep on the doors at night, and keep pooping the whole night. I am sure if Hictchcock was living in Noida, he would have made birds movie with pigeons pooping from 2kms up and killing people.

Sometimes they lay eggs, which we have to throw, since I am not sure how safe is it to eat the eggs.
Once such eggs hatched.
My instinct was to wring the necks of the little ones, but somehow I decided to raise them.
So for a month they lived in a nice shoebox, and ate grain and drank water.

I almost domesticated them. I wanted to train them to be pickpockets or something, but they ran away before my evil designs could manifest.

Whats you plan. Do you plan to train them or something.
Maybe attack lasers to them or something and freak out people.
Or just train them to poop on your neighbors car just after its been washed.

Or maybe train them to sit on your head or something. I once saw a shopkeeper in corbett had an adult pigeon living on his head. It did not poop on his head, and I am sure his lice problem went away.
Maybe you could try that.

But beware. They get nasty in teenage(relatively speaking). Every time I would try to feed them, they would try to eat my finger instead. Maybe they like fingers more.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 11:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sometimes they lay eggs, which we have to throw, since I am not sure how safe is it to eat the eggs.
No idea about the eggs, but folk medicine says their meat is a good cure for asthma.

Quote:
That is a very good idea! It can be trained to gather other disreputable pigeons in the neighborhood, then go poop on cars parked in front of Pancham's gate, so that he can use the space for his cars alone!
Old 6th May 2011, 12:17   #40
BHPian

@tsk1979
Quote:
Whats you plan. Do you plan to train them or something.
Maybe attack lasers to them or something and freak out people.
Wow. Your sense of humor is amazing (not in the quoted text but the complete message).

May be attach a miniature video camera with some SD card so that we all can see from a bird's eye view (pun intended).
Old 6th May 2011, 12:27   #41
BHPian

@tsk1979

I am surprised by the number of uses you came up with for pigeons.

Now I am also starting to get ideas.

I like the one about training them to be pick pockets the most ( maybe you can sell me some pigeons after you have trained them ).
Old 6th May 2011, 12:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

LOL
Why do we humans tend to meddle with nature?

Yes, agreed its a "noble" gesture to save an "ailing" animal - but please, nobility is an artificial gesture born out of human tendencies (inherent weakness and fear).
The animals don't require it.

I am sure tomorrow we'll have ppl saving deers and buffaloes from lions and tigers.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
LOL

Yes, agreed its a "noble" gesture to save an "ailing" animal - but please, nobility is an artificial gesture born out of human tendencies (inherent weakness and fear).

I am sure tomorrow we'll have ppl saving deers and buffaloes from lions and tigers.

I think the humans in this case are showing their human nature (which I believe is the strength that keeps society together and has thus made humans - some of the weakest creatures walking the planet - masters of the earth) by showing pity and compassion.

Whether it is futile or not is a different debate, and may be off topic.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
LOL
Just my thought too. NG/Discovery channel has started censoring lions feeding maybe to protect some peoples' 'sensibilities'. Whay are so many people running to the gallery saving animals when there are so many human lives to be saved / safeguarded? Taking an immediate example, there are people who object to stray dogs being caught by the authorities. These same stray dogs bite people.

There are other examples as well. I personally feel some of our attention are misplaced.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
But beware. They get nasty in teenage(relatively speaking). Every time I would try to feed them, they would try to eat my finger instead. Maybe they like fingers more.
I've seen pigeons swallowing chicken bones outside a KFC restaurant. They were so fat and lazy that they seemed incapable of flying. Even walking seemed like a huge effort for them.

Quote:
LOL

We humans are a part of nature too. I think that my compassion towards animals (and other non human life) stems from a sense of justice. We have taken over most of the land, destroyed habitats, caused extinction of several species, changed climates (ok I know that's debatable) and are mostly cruel and merciless towards them. It's high time we start treating animals with respect and learn to share natural resources with them. Just bullying everything else because we're the dominant species seems more like cave-man (or cave woman) mentality than a highly evolved species.

It's high time we stop all the destruction and give other species their due. Destroying forests and replacing them with ugly, smoky, dusty and polluted concrete jungles (yes I'm from Mumbai) is not the legacy we want to leave behind for future generations.
Wolfheart is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed