Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 16:05   #46
BHPian

Re: Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!

Well said Wolfheart

We, the humans (apart from our +ve qualities ) are also the most barbaric and selfish species on earth. Humans (some) loot, kill, maim, hunt and what not on the slightest excuse or for their own pleasure. We destroy nature, forests, lakes and rivers and replace it by so called signs of progress - concrete jungles.

I live in Noida where land costs from Rs 70,000 to 2 lacs per sq. yard and it is supposed to be the most progressive city of U.P., but the so called progress and intelligent people have created conditions where the water is not even fit for bathing forget about drinking, there are no fields left for agriculture as they have been sold to builders, whatever vegetables we get are chemical injected, mobile towers have ensured that there are no birds left, only some dogs and some ailing cattle left who have to eat polythene infested trash. People fighting and killing each other on the trivial things but they consider themselves modern as they speak hinglish or english and earn money. I could go on.....

We the humans are terrorists to nature and when ever any small thing happens to us, we start raising the banner of human rights. Disgusting.

Somebody has written that he feels like killing the birds because they poop. So what about the human babies or old and sick parents? should they also be killed????

I am sorry to see some people not agreeing with this little deed of compassion. If we can't do anything positive ourselves, at least let others do it.
akj53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 16:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why do we humans tend to meddle with nature?
What we are today is by meddling with nature. If we had chosen to go with nature we wouldn't have flourished like this. Everyday is a fight against nature for every living thing. We might lose the battle someday and nature will prevail, but that time is too far away.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
The Jain Temple ( Lal Mandir ) opposite Red Fort in Delhi runs a very big free bird hospital. Once I had taken a hurt pigeon there and they had accepted that. There were thousands of birds of all kinds in their premises. Enquire from any Jain Temple there, if they have any such facility in Calcutta. They will give you best advice or if you wish then they will also accept the baby bird.

3 cheers to you for taking care of the baby.
Thanks a lot akj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Whats you plan. Do you plan to train them or something.
Maybe attack lasers to them or something and freak out people.
Or just train them to poop on your neighbors car just after its been washed.

Or maybe train them to sit on your head or something. I once saw a shopkeeper in corbett had an adult pigeon living on his head. It did not poop on his head, and I am sure his lice problem went away.
Maybe you could try that.
Lol. At present I am focusing on Chirpie's future. lol. Pooing on neighbour's car is a nice career option for him maybe. But lets see if he becomes as evil as I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is a very good idea! It can be trained to gather other disreputable pigeons in the neighborhood, then go poop on cars parked in front of Pancham's gate, so that he can use the space for his cars alone!
Yes I have a parking problem in my place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

We humans are a part of nature too. I think that my compassion towards animals (and other non human life) stems from a sense of justice. We have taken over most of the land, destroyed habitats, caused extinction of several species, changed climates (ok I know that's debatable) and are mostly cruel and merciless towards them. It's high time we start treating animals with respect and learn to share natural resources with them. Just bullying everything else because we're the dominant species seems more like cave-man (or cave woman) mentality than a highly evolved species.

It's high time we stop all the destruction and give other species their due. Destroying forests and replacing them with ugly, smoky, dusty and polluted concrete jungles (yes I'm from Mumbai) is not the legacy we want to leave behind for future generations.
Very well said wolfhrt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
What we are today is by meddling with nature. If we had chosen to go with nature we wouldn't have flourished like this. Everyday is a fight against nature for every living thing. We might lose the battle someday and nature will prevail, but that time is too far away.
You are absolutely correct.
Just because we humans are a little smarter than other animals doesnt mean we bully them and capture their territory. We should show some kindness and humanity towards these innocent creatures.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Well said Wolfheart We, the humans (apart from our +ve qualities ) are also the most barbaric and selfish species on earth. Humans (some) loot, kill, maim, hunt and what not on the slightest excuse or for their own pleasure...
akj53. I like your preaching effort. You know preaching is very easy than practicing it.

I hope one day you will leave earning money and go to the deep amazon forest and would try to survive and enjoy there under mother nature along with all animals. Since you stay in US, Amazon would be very near to you.

By the way, I like pigeon meat very much . My cousin used to prepare it whenever we used to visit our ancestral place.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Right so when are you taking up against all the carnivorous creatures?
Make them vegetarians perhaps.

My point was exactly what you have written.
We have meddled with nature and created an artificial world where we live by illusion of justice and fairness and equality and what not (something we humans ourselves don't practice - but we still like to believe that we live by those ideals).

The animals ARE NOT governed by this illusion.
They are still true to their nature.

So let us not meddle.

Anyway I believe we should go back to the thread about "innocent" pigeons cooing and "cruel crafty" crows cawing and perhaps how they will grow up and pardon the crows who tormented them in their childhood.
Probably even teach them about peaceful co-existence and amicable universal brotherhood.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th May 2011 at 15:54.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Help me Save a Peacock

Hey guys need suggestions once again.

We serve millet's to peacocks at our farmhouse,and other birds;usually a group of peacocks and peahens come in the evening,have their share and leave back to their respective trees before sunset.But today was different one of the peacock's(the one with a huge tail of feathers) was not able to head back to its place in time,and is sitting on a wall inside the compound,and not moving as it is supposed to,usually they are very active,i feel it is not well.Ours being a relatively small town PFA is not very active and i am not able to find any leads.None of us have an experience of handling a bird,especially like a peacock.Big cats roam around the wall where it is currently sitting,i fear it may get killed during night.

Any help on this?,any steps i can take to rescue/save it?
Old 31st August 2013, 20:41   #52
BHPian

re: Help me Save a Peacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

We serve millet's to peacocks at our farmhouse,and other birds;usually a group of peacocks and peahens come in the evening,have their share and leave back to their respective trees before sunset.But today was different one of the peacock's(the one with a huge tail of feathers) was not able to head back to its place in time,and is sitting on a wall inside the compound,and not moving as it is supposed to,usually they are very active,i feel it is not well.Ours being a relatively small town PFA is not very active and i am not able to find any leads.None of us have an experience of handling a bird,especially like a peacock.Big cats roam around the wall where it is currently sitting,i fear it may get killed during night.

I feel really bad for that bird. i dont have any experience with the bird as well. The thing I would have done is to get it inside a net or something similar and move it to a safer place until help arrives.

Kudos for your unconditional help for the birds

Last edited by 999 : 31st August 2013 at 20:46.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Move the bird into your garage or something. They easily feed on pakoras, sandwiches etc. Saying that by experience. Lure it into the garage. and leave it at peace. Nothing should happen. Talk to Noni in batala. He knows a wonderful vet who could guide you on the phone.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

He passed away :(
I called my uncle who is a Zoologist.He was able to catch it with ease,and informed that he wasn't well,and after 2 minutes,just before we were to put him to the ground in one of the rooms,he just lost his senses
He was pretty old as it was evident from his feathers

May his soul R.I.P.

Thanks for your support guys.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

It will be taken for Postmortem in the morning,by Wildlife officials.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:
He passed away :(
I called my uncle who is a Zoologist.He was able to catch it with ease,and informed that he wasn't well,and after 2 minutes,just before we were to put him to the ground in one of the rooms,he just lost his senses
He was pretty old as it was evident from his feathers

May his soul R.I.P.

Thanks for your support guys.
Let the soul RIP. Atleast you can be satisfied that you were able to feed him till the end. Nothing much you could do any.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:57   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will be taken for Postmortem in the morning,by Wildlife officials.
Sorry to hear the Peacock did not make it, appreciate the concern/effort you took.
Why do the 'officials' always reach after everything is over, did you try contacting them earlier ?
Old 31st August 2013, 23:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sorry to hear the Peacock did not make it, appreciate the concern/effort you took.
Why do the 'officials' always reach after everything is over, did you try contacting them earlier ?
We all had spotted the peacock sitting on the wall at dusk,and it was not usual,as everyday he used to move back to his tree across the road,but today was different he was sitting on the wall with its head down,and not really moving even if we went too close for his comfort.He knew his end was near.
The officials were constantly in touch over phone,but since we are a bit off from the main city,they took their own sweet time.Meanwhile my uncle tried to rescue him by holding it from the middle,as expected he struggled a bit,and gave up after 2 minutes,just before we were to put him on the ground in the room.

On his observation he found that he died of old age.There was nothing we could do to save him.But at least we were able to provide him a safe death and food before he passed away, else cat or something would have killed and eaten him.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:17   #59
BHPian

Sorry to hear the Peacock did not make it, Akshay you did the best for him in his final minutes but his time had come. may the bird R.I.P. Wish help was available more faster to him might have changed things I guess.

Was the bird suffering from any disease or was death due to starvation, not able to hunt for food due to age factor. Just curious to know if the postmortem gave any any information.

-Sajan
Old 31st August 2013, 23:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Just like you, my grandfather used to feed peacocks, peahens and other birds at my village home in Sonipat. Once a peacock was attacked by the pet cat and before the poor peacock could fly high enough, the cat injured the peacock's claw. Though the peacock was injured, but he was alive.
My grandfather called us from our Delhi home. A house-keeper was arranged who sat on backseat of the car with peacock after spreading a rucksack. The peacock realized that we were there to help and not harm. The peacock was then rushed to Meneka Gandhi's bird hospital near Chandani Chowk, a journey to a hospital 1.5-2 hrs away. They admitted the peacock, we voluntarily made a donation of Rs.251 with a donations slip. The vet there assured that peacock would be fine with medical care and would be released to ridge area post recovery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks