Team-BHP - Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Help Needed! Baby Pigeon saved. Emergency! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100468-help-needed-baby-pigeon-saved-emergency.html)

Guys I need some help. I was seating in my drawing room beside the balcony when I heard some CAW CAW and saw a baby pigeon being attacked by a few crows. THey were all over the poor baby. A few seconds and they could have torn it apart (I have many pigeons laying egg in my balcony. They have made it a home). Anyways, coming back to the point I shooed the crows away only to realize that the baby was very much alive but injured. It could hardly move . I somehow put it in a box so that the crows cannot see it. NOW !! what do I do to save? What do I feed it? This has happened just now. I am attaching a pic and clip. PLEASE need urgent help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcS8yNqmsw

contact a vet asap, crow bites can be infectious!

THanks for advice!! But Where do I find a vet here near my place??

i PMed you the details

This would help you: VETS AND HOSPITALS IN KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL

Thanks for the details. I just call a clinic named in the list. They told me feed the baby with anrica(Homeopathy). Is it okay if I do that?

Arnica is fine. Its a general anti-everything kinda medicine.

Me : Dad, Elmo( our dog) has gone n chopped of his ears near the gate barking at other dogs again.
Dad ...... (in a very casual manner) : Give it some Arnica and relax :) .

1. Baby Pigeons are kept in a nest. Simulate a cosy spot with cotton, hay etc and keep it warm. Tip: I have seen pigeons lay eggs in flowerpots. Get a small pot, basket etc to simulate a nest.

2. Feed it. Go online and see what baby pigeons are fed. You are now assuming the role of a parent pigeon, you'll need to provide food and reassurance, several times a day.

3. Reality check: No matter how good you are with the chick, you will never be able to replace it's parents eg. teaching it to communicate via vocalisation, body language and most importantly, to fly. If it can't fly, it's there to stay in your house for good. So keeping that in mind ask yourself if you can take care of it for the rest of it's life or will it become a liability? If the latter, then give it away ASAP to an organisation like Karuna etc who will help rehabilitate it.

Seeing the photo and clip how old do you thank the baby is. Mind you it has wings already.

Call any of the following and they may be able to help:

All Lovers of Animals Society
30 Chowringhee Mansion Kyd Street
CALCUTTA - 700 016, West Bengal, India.
Tel: + 91 (33) 296 930
Fax: + 91 (33) 247 3567

SPCA, Kolkata
276, Bepin Behary Ganguly Street, Kolkata-700012, West Bengal, India.
Phone:(33) 22367738, 28631255
Activities: veterinary hospital, animal ambulance, animal birth control
and vaccination programme.
Compassionate Crusaders Trust
15B, Clive Row. 1st. Floor.
CALCUTTA - 700 001, West Bengal, India.
Tel: + 91 (33) 2210 4365/ 2220 9311/2/3
Fax: + 91 (33) 220 5665

People for Animals - Kolkatta
15B, Clive Row. 1st. Floor, Calcutta- 700 001, West Bengal, India.
Phone: + 91 (33) 22104365, 22309311/2
Fax: + 91 (33) 22305665

Pancham,

1. Don't Panic. It will survive if you take appropriate measures
2. See a vet.
3. Ensure that it has someone to look after it, feed it and teach it to fly.

Click on this link for a list of organizations that can help with a vet as well as animal rehabilitation:

List of Animal Welfare Organizations, SPCA, Shelters, Rescue Homes, Humane Societies, Charitable Trusts

@mods: Pls delete the preceding post

Wolfheart!! thanks a lot. My maid servant told me that baby pigeons eat powdered rice. So is it okay to feed it with powdered rice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancham (Post 2333424)
Wolfheart!! thanks a lot. My maid servant told me that baby pigeons eat powdered rice. So is it okay to feed it with powdered rice?

No idea. I imagine that soft and moist seeds and grains would be fine. You can use a dropper to feed it. However be sure to study the pigeon's anatomy (online) before you feed it so that you don't end up choking it. There are several videos on youtube about pigeon feeding. You can also try google for more info. Good Luck!

What to hand feed 3wk old baby pigeon? - Pigeon-Talk

Well firstly congratulations on a good deed of the day. Its simple buddy, just send or take the bird to the Vet Hospital in your city. They will trea the bird and look after it for free. Even if you have to pay the initial Opd charges, its worth it. And dont think of making this thing into a pet, they are filthy dirty and will make you house full of muck. Still i dont recommend you leave it to become some other predators food. Just a few days ago a crow flew into the ceiling fan of my balcony and was badly injured. I picked it up and after feeding it some water, sent it to the Vet hospital. They didnt charge anything from me and rendered the necessary first aid to the bird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfheart (Post 2333463)
No idea. I imagine that soft and moist seeds and grains would be fine. You can use a dropper to feed it. However be sure to study the pigeon's anatomy (online) before you feed it so that you don't end up choking it. There are several videos on youtube about pigeon feeding. You can also try google for more info. Good Luck!

What to hand feed 3wk old baby pigeon? - Pigeon-Talk

My maid said she has a few baby pigeons at home so she knows what food to give. So she gave the baby some 'powdered' rice and it ate very nicely. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 2333497)
Well firstly congratulations on a good deed of the day. Its simple buddy, just send or take the bird to the Vet Hospital in your city. They will trea the bird and look after it for free. Even if you have to pay the initial Opd charges, its worth it. And dont think of making this thing into a pet, they are filthy dirty and will make you house full of muck. Still i dont recommend you leave it to become some other predators food. Just a few days ago a crow flew into the ceiling fan of my balcony and was badly injured. I picked it up and after feeding it some water, sent it to the Vet hospital. They didnt charge anything from me and rendered the necessary first aid to the bird.

Thank you brother. I think I will keep it for a while. It may take a month's time to grow up. :)