Team-BHP - Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100713-home-construction-makeover-maintenance-thread-10.html)

The frame already seems to be in place, why don't you get a 2mm window/sheet glass affixed. This will be easiest, cheapest and sure shot way of enabling the air conditioner to work optimally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 275BHP (Post 3281632)
Yes, here's the picture.

Attachment 1160667

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 3281699)
The frame already seems to be in place, why don't you get a 2mm window/sheet glass affixed. This will be easiest, cheapest and sure shot way of enabling the air conditioner to work optimally.

Not exactly sure what your referring to. To make things clear, the black bordering (velcro) on the brown colored area near the window was used to place a mosquito net. Its not used anymore though.

Anyway, I'm sort of inclining towards the idea of placing a glass sheet there since everything else doesn't really guarantee the room to remain air tight.

You can board it up using cardboard (Any carpenter will do) or glass.

I ws referring to the brown velcro which I thought was a frame. Glass would indeed be the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 275BHP (Post 3281798)
Not exactly sure what your referring to. To make things clear, the black bordering (velcro) on the brown colored area near the window was used to place a mosquito net. Its not used anymore though.

Anyway, I'm sort of inclining towards the idea of placing a glass sheet there since everything else doesn't really guarantee the room to remain air tight.

You have a wooden frame already. All you need is glass.

By the way I would be wary of putting 2mm glass, it may be a safety hazard as any pressure will crack it. Use 4mm of better 5mm glass pane preferably with its own wooden frame.

What's the price range of wooden & Bamboo floor tiles (anything with a wooden finish) these days ? Any one who has done some flooring recently can help please.

Thanks guys for all your help. Was busy the past few weeks, hence couldn't update. Anyway, finally I went for a curtain (the rolling type) to cover the opening. It does a pretty good job of preventing the air from escaping the room. Paid Rs.2000 totally for it, inclusive of fitting costs etc.

Dear members,

I searched the forum regarding this topic but could not find anything. We are in the process of custom making our living room entertainment unit. We have a 'L' shaped wall. We plan to put the unit on one arm of the 'L' shaped wall. Unfortunately, the electrical outlet including the DTH cable outlet is on the another arm (cables concealed in wall). Our carpenter suggested to move the outlet to the arm where we plan to place the entertainment unit (to avoid running exposed cables).

I would like to know how easy this is to do. I think the new outlet will come over cables going enroute to the old socket, but not sure as I currently don't have the electrical map of our home.

I will be asking a electrician to have a look. Any guidance on this from members is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murillo (Post 3327423)
Dear members,

I searched the forum regarding this topic but could not find anything. We are in the process of custom making our living room entertainment unit. We have a 'L' shaped wall. We plan to put the unit on one arm of the 'L' shaped wall. Unfortunately, the electrical outlet including the DTH cable outlet is on the another arm (cables concealed in wall). Our carpenter suggested to move the outlet to the arm where we plan to place the entertainment unit (to avoid running exposed cables).

I would like to know how easy this is to do. I think the new outlet will come over cables going enroute to the old socket, but not sure as I currently don't have the electrical map of our home.

I will be asking a electrician to have a look. Any guidance on this from members is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Normally for concealed wiring you have to
. cut a channel in the wall. It will be around 30mm deep into the bricks. Let the electrician choose the route and cut the channels.
. At the point where you will have the outlet, a box is required - more cutting, now to the depth of the box.
. This is the best time to give a thought to any more electrical/TV/Phone outlets you want to supplement to what is there, and cut the channels accordingly
. All this has to be done before painting the room.
. In case you want to install a split AC, this is the time to do so, at that will also involve cutting the wall for concealing the wiring as well as drain pipe

Can anyone refer a good carpenter in Bangalore ? Need one urgently . Please PM me the number or post it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3327513)
Normally for concealed wiring you have to
. cut a channel in the wall. It will be around 30mm deep into the bricks. Let the electrician choose the route and cut the channels.
. At the point where you will have the outlet, a box is required - more cutting, now to the depth of the box.
. This is the best time to give a thought to any more electrical/TV/Phone outlets you want to supplement to what is there, and cut the channels accordingly
. All this has to be done before painting the room.
. In case you want to install a split AC, this is the time to do so, at that will also involve cutting the wall for concealing the wiring as well as drain pipe

Checked with electrician. It looks like we have to cut long channels. Unfortunately, only recently we did the painting - two coats of primer, two coats of putty, and two coats of paint. Hence, decided against concealing wires for now. May be when we do the next painting, we will go for this setup. As of now, we are arranging it in a way to minimize exposed wires. Our advantage is, we are also currently in the process of custom making our entertainment unit. Hence, we can design accordingly.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Dear members,
I am hoping to construct my own home pretty soon in a 60x40 site with a total construction area of around 2700sft, and need your help in understanding few points (some could be very basic, pardon my ignorance)

1. I am told that there are two types of construction Pillar based (column based) and non pillar based (as told by my friend who did his M.Arch). Which is better?
- I am planning to have ground and first floor, will not expand.

2. What is the average cost of construction (both pillar and non pillar based) assuming moderate bath fittings and vitrified tiles / granite (I am told that marble is very expensive and difficult to maintain)

3. Is there a list of things that I need to be aware of before taking the plunge? (something like the t-bhp PDI checklist)

Any help will be greatly helpful to me before taking the plunge

Warm Regards,
Chaitanya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tckanth (Post 3364138)
Dear members,
I am hoping to construct my own home pretty soon in a 60x40 site with a total construction area of around 2700sft, and need your help in understanding few points (some could be very basic, pardon my ignorance)

1. I am told that there are two types of construction Pillar based (column based) and non pillar based (as told by my friend who did his M.Arch). Which is better?

2. What is the average cost of construction (both pillar and non pillar based) assuming moderate bath fittings and vitrified tiles / granite (I am told that marble is very expensive and difficult to maintain)

3. Is there a list of things that I need to be aware of before taking the plunge? (something like the t-bhp PDI checklist)

Warm Regards,
Chaitanya.

Chaitanya,
No one does non-pillar based houses now a days. You get some flexibility with pillar and beam based construction in adjusting some of the walls inside.

It usually costs about 1.5 lakhs for 100 sq ft. Marble or granite depends on your preference. Some colours of marble are difficult if something acidic falls on them. You can get vitrified tiles that look really good but then durability is not as good as natural stone ones.

You can get a good plan and elevation picture which will help you in visualizing your home.

Quote:

Dear members,

Warm Regards,
Chaitanya.

1. Chaitanya, go for pillar based, though you are planning for two floors.

2. Average cost varies from Rs. 1450-1650/Sq.Ft. Also look for options like labor contract by providing material from your end. Even one load of sand cost between 15k to 40k, depending on quality.

3. Granite is cheaper in Bangalore. Try Jigani/Tumkur/Sarjapur road etc (depending on your site) for better rates. You will find granites starting from Rs. 62 (Madurai stone starts around Rs. 50)

Quote:

Dear members,

Warm Regards,
Chaitanya.

Dear Chaitanya
Framed structures(one with beams and columns) is better than the traditional load bearing ones in many ways. It gives you larger spans, flexibility and above all better load transfers and seismic (earthquake) stability.
Cost of construction varies from place to place as per the rates of local materials and their availability. But I would peg a general construction cost to be around 1200-1300 per sq.ft.
Marble is a very general term, and there are a lot of varieties and hence properties do vary. Granites are harder than marbles, but make for a very reflective(read slippery) floors if not treated well. My suggestion would be to go with a natural stone flooring rather than vitrified tiles, keeping in account maintenance and upkeep of the flooring in future.
A PDI would be too lengthy, but what I would suggest is to involve an Architect/Designer to help you out. The Consultation fees would be an added expense but will help you in saving space, which is most valuable and get the things done in a better manner and hence saving you the heartache, trouble and some money. Afterall, how many houses/homes does one make?

Cheers