Team-BHP - Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100713-home-construction-makeover-maintenance-thread-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tckanth (Post 3364138)
Dear members,
I am hoping to construct my own home pretty soon in a 60x40 site with a total construction area of around 2700sft, and need your help in understanding few points (some could be very basic, pardon my ignorance)

1. I am told that there are two types of construction Pillar based (column based) and non pillar based (as told by my friend who did his M.Arch). Which is better?
- I am planning to have ground and first floor, will not expand.

2. What is the average cost of construction (both pillar and non pillar based) assuming moderate bath fittings and vitrified tiles / granite (I am told that marble is very expensive and difficult to maintain)

3. Is there a list of things that I need to be aware of before taking the plunge? (something like the t-bhp PDI checklist)

I kickstarted my home contruction back in Nov 2013. Have a few details about what to do and what not to do :)
PM me if you need any further details in specific. I did hire the services of a Architect to oversee the planning/designing and also hired a contractor(Labor & Material) for this. Architect is also responsible to ensure that the contractor does the job as per the plan,budget and timelines.

Chaitanya, I would suggest granite over marble. Granite's tougher. Cleaning marble can easily go wrong, and if that happens ... :Frustrati

What wardrobes are better, steel or wooden? Any reviews on Godrej wardrobes, either slimline or Kreative line?

Is there any good shop/factory in Pune that makes steel furniture as per measurement?

1. Go for frame structure, that is beams and columns.
2. Plan for stilt parking on the ground floor. Even if you do not need it today, you will need it in future. Secondly the open space can be utilised for any party/function held at home.
3. Make provision in the structure for a 4 storey house, even if you are building only 2. The add on is not all that much, but in future you will have no hassles in raising extra floor(s).
4. Even if you do not want (and do not install) a lift, make provision for it at the planning stage. It is extremely difficult to retro fit a lift later on, as the lift shaft is normally integrated with the stair well.
5. Engage a good architect who will deliver the following before starting the work
- The Architect should be responsible for passing you plan, getting various permissions required for construction and finally getting the completion certificate.
- Architectural layout
- Structural plan & elevation with details of the sizes and reinforcements for all beams and columns
- Sewage plan with all the piping shown
- Water distribution plans with underground and overhead tanks for storing water, hot and cold piping plans. This is the time when you can also plan to install Solar Water Heaters and integrate them into you hot water piping
- AC layout plan showing location of the units and the water drainage piping
- Detailed Electrical wiring including the incoming mains, main distribution panels, floor distribution panels and location of each and every light and power point. This is when you decide on what will run on the Inverter and what will not.
6. Do market survey on the cost of materials, bot on the net and by visiting stores in and around the city. Insist on the Architect give you a detailed BOQ (Bill of Quantities) even if you have to pay for it (It should not cost you more than 20K). That will help budget you construction costs.

These are some of the points which I can think of. Any good Architect will do it all, but good Architects cost a lot of money. We pay between 2 and 5 lacs depending on the size of house.

The cost of construction in Delhi is about Rs.1,000/ to 1,500/ per square foot for the basic structure. To that you add finishing and appliances (taps, light fittings and kitchen etc) and that pushes the cost to Rs.2,500+. This assumes medium quality wood (not teak) and marble/granite floors. Beyong this sky is the limit -
- Door & Frame ~ 50-200K for Nagpur/Burma Teak, vs 6-10k for Yellow Mirandi with flush doors
- Bathroom fittings (per bath room) ~ 200-400K for Grohe/Kohler vs 30k for Jaguar. Of course if you go for Italian stuff thenit is 10L+
- Modular Kitchen ~ 5-10L for European brands vs 1L for made at site by carpenters
- Marble costs between 60 to 3,000 per square foot
- Granite costs between 80 and 500 for Indian variety. Should be marginally lower in South as it comes from there.
- Stone laying between 30 and 100 per square foot depending on the skill of the stone mason

Hi! a curious case here.

I have to construct first floor. Structure is 23 year old and has undergone massive renovation along the year's.

I just want to take easy way out and found Rapid Wall from Cochin.
It sound's easy and a DIY project.
Issue is structure has 10 inch wall and rapid wall is 5 inch.

What do I do, 2 prefab rapidwall panel side by side.

Also one side has a 5 inch boundary wall of 0.9 meter on slab.

Has anyone worked with RCF Fact Rapid wall gypsum panel from Cochin.

Apart from cost and time saving I want to go with Rapid wall is because the base structure has seen everything in its life cycle like move door, window, toilet, remove stone and put marble.

Its painful and noisy and dusty hence am thinking rapid wall.
Any advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3377467)
Hi! a curious case here.

I have to construct first floor. Structure is 23 year old and has undergone massive renovation along the year's.

It sound's easy and a DIY project.

What do I do, 2 prefab rapidwall panel side by side.

Also one side has a 5 inch boundary wall of 0.9 meter on slab.

Has anyone worked with RCF Fact Rapid wall gypsum panel from Cochin.

Apart from cost and time saving I want to go with Rapid wall is because the base structure has seen everything in its life cycle like move door, window, toilet, remove stone and put marble.

Its painful and noisy and dusty hence am thinking rapid wall.
Any advise.

I have not seen "rapid wall", but from what you say it is a cladding and not structural member. You will have to build a "frame" with RCC beams and columns first, and then fill up the space with the wall.

I suggest that you go about as follows
1. Draw up a plan of your first floor.
2. Get a Structural engineer to design Columns and Beams.
3. Then use the "rapid wall" to fill in the spaces

We're planning in renovating our old house later this year (After June)
The existing building is very old,may be 40+years, but thanks to the quality of construction is still very strong.
At present its a single floor house with a built up area of 2000sq ft. We plan to convert it into a duplex and add another floor. It proposes a challenge, since we might have to clear a portion of the rcc roof for the stairs to the first floor.
We plan to build a living room and 2 bedrooms in the first floor. Need help in finding a good and capable architect and contractor for the above.
Also is June (onset of monsoons) OK to begin construction ?
Another option we were considering was to build the additional rooms by extending the existing structure. The site is approx 5400sqft so there is a lot of unbuilt area and we can easily build a living room and bedrooms right behind the existing structure connecting the two with a passage. Is this better or should we go with first floor option?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3377467)

is this their website? http://frbl.co.in/products.html
Quote:

Should not be a problem because you would have to anyway demolish the existing parapet of terrace. If you want to retain parapet, you will have a ledge inside or outside, your choice. What needs to be worked on is interface between old and new in terms of structural anchorage and weather proofing.

Gypsum boards are not normally used outdoor, so find out from the company whether it is exterior grade.

Does the company provide technical / design assistance? If yes ask them roofing options. If no you will need technical assistance for supporting the roof structure. That website says the panels are load bearing but does not say how much load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3377554)
I have not seen "rapid wall", but from what you say it is a cladding and not structural member. You will have to build a "frame" with RCC beams and columns first, and then fill up the space with the wall.

I suggest that you go about as follows
1. Draw up a plan of your first floor.
2. Get a Structural engineer to design Columns and Beams.
3. Then use the "rapid wall" to fill in the spaces

Yes.
1) plan already sanctioned 23 year back. But structural changes done to ground floor.
2) yes structural engineer. May I ask how much do they charge.
3) http://frbl.co.in/knowhow.html it is not a cladding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3377761)
is this their website? http://frbl.co.in/products.html
Should not be a problem because you would have to anyway demolish the existing parapet of terrace. If you want to retain parapet, you will have a ledge inside or outside, your choice. What needs to be worked on is interface between old and new in terms of structural anchorage and weather proofing.

Gypsum boards are not normally used outdoor, so find out from the company whether it is exterior grade.

Does the company provide technical / design assistance? If yes ask them roofing options. If no you will need technical assistance for supporting the roof structure. That website says the panels are load bearing but does not say how much load.

Yes.
http://frbl.co.in/knowhow.html

Please anyone down South its popular, and DYI.

I am in touch with them, price is 999 sq mtr.

Yesterday mailed them.
Parapet wall removal I want to do it with a machine, no hammer any advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3377766)
Yes.
1) plan already sanctioned 23 year back. But structural changes done to ground floor.
2) yes structural engineer. May I ask how much do they charge.
3) http://frbl.co.in/knowhow.html it is not a cladding.

1)A 23 year old plan may have to be revised keeping in view the current constructions and the current building norms.
If the existing building is frame structure, then the columns will be built on top of existing ones, provided they are capable of carrying the load - structural engineer will evaluate and tell you. If the current building is built on load bearing walls, then you have two options
- Erect columns around the existing walls
- Raise the new walls on the old ones without beams and columns - this is never a good idea as the load bearing walls are not earthquake resistant and will collapse like a pack of cards.

2)Structural engineers in Delhi charge between 10K and 40K depending on a) quantum of work and b) whether supervision during casting is required or not (this should always be included, else you never know what quality of concrete the contractor cast).

3) I have gone through the technical article http://frbl.co.in/Studies%20on%20the...l%20Panels.pdf and here are my observations
. The walls without filling can be used as walls only and not as tructural members
. Walls have to be joined to load bearing structure
. For structural use the voids need to be filled with concrete

In short the walls are good enough for small structure in stand alone mode or as partitions for framed structures
Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3377772)
Yes.
http://frbl.co.in/knowhow.html

Please anyone down South its popular, and DYI.

I am in touch with them, price is 999 sq mtr.

Yesterday mailed them.
Parapet wall removal I want to do it with a machine, no hammer any advise.

1. Get a quote from any civil contractor for cost of brick wall per square meter including - material, labour, painting and compare it to the rapid wall costs, if it is less then go for a brick wall

2. Parapet wall is normally demolished with hammer and chisel with no effect on the rest of the building. In Delhi they remove it carefully as they recover the bricks which are sold at 1/3 the price of new ones:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3377977)
1)A 23 year old plan may have to be revised keeping in view the current constructions and the current building norms.
s:D

Thanks Aroy,
1) I will start only after Structural engineers approval, as it's a 23 year old and we want to preserve it. Also old plans are with FACT RCF as of yesterday, they have neither said yes or no for helping in design and structure phase.

2) Cost of one brass brick construction is a Lac including everything here, and these panels are cheap like Rs 999 sq mt + and Vat and shipping. For one brass of RCF pannel cost 18000 with shipping and vat aprox 20000 and with labor and cement infill 25000 may be max 30000.

3) Thanks on Parapet walls, I wanted to be carefull as strong hammering creates cracks at other places. also was thinking of crushing parapet wall at site and using it as a mix for infill.

Since my structure is old these panels make more sense.

4) today spoke to a telescopic crane guy and quote is around 10000 for a day, also two inexpensive Round staircase will be needed.

Also wondering on Ready Mixed Concrete, how much is one load and cost, one of those moving mobile trucks/ clinkers, do they pump at a height like 7 meters, or flow is only downward.

I am taking a home loan, just wanted to know if the first instalment for building the house comes after the completion of stage 1 or before? I would definitly ask the bank however though of doing some homework.

Another question is, does the EMI start after complition or after the loan is approved? please throw some light

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 3378367)
I am taking a home loan, just wanted to know if the first instalment for building the house comes after the completion of stage 1 or before? I would definitly ask the bank however though of doing some homework.

Another question is, does the EMI start after complition or after the loan is approved? please throw some light

Pramod

The basics are as follows
. Interest is calculated on the outstanding amount.
. So if you start paying later, then the interest adds to the principal for calculating EMI.
. EMI = Interest on outstanding amount + part of the principal. As you repay, the interest goes down and part of the principal goes up.

All schemes by lenders are based on the above. The later you start paying back the more interest you have to bear. Similarly the lesser EMI you pay the more interest you are paying.

Quote:

Depends on bank. Some will distribute advance loan for procuring the material in initial stages. It can be up to 25% (as in case of Axis bank) of loan amount.

Some insists start on your own money (most PSU, not sure about SBI though), start releasing after some structure comes up.

Quote:

Again depends on bank, does your bank allow you to start EMI from first month after first release? Axis bank has this option.

Advantage is you pay more Principle in earlier stages (as outstanding amount is less). Also since EMI starts early, you can get tax benefits.

Disadvantage: You will have to start paying from first month, you will be lesser by EMI amount monthly. Which you might find it useful while house getting completed.