Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 12:58   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

I wish you all the best in your endeavor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post

Feel free to PM for any questions/doubts

Thank you nowwhat and akhil_007 for the brilliant advice and experiences. Appreciate it greatly.
Akhil_007 will take you up on your offer and will ping you on my queries!

Will share my experiences on my journey so it can help others.

At the moment all I have is 2 grounds and a wish to make something of it. I have saved up about 45L and guess can stretch to 70L by taking a home loan...
Old 21st January 2015, 23:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

HI DIYGUY,

I too am planning to construct a Home in Chennai. Iam looking for some builders in Chennai. If you have some one, please pass on the details to me.

I have a 3500 sqft plot and planing to construct a G + 1 (no stilt) model.
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:57   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
HI DIYGUY,

I too am planning to construct a Home in Chennai. Iam looking for some builders in Chennai. If you have some one, please pass on the details to me.

Hi scorpiobharath, great, maybe we can join forces! Am yet to find someone. Mine is planned on the OMR side, what about you?
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:18   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi scorpiobharath, great, maybe we can join forces! Am yet to find someone. Mine is planned on the OMR side, what about you?
Hi Diy Guy - Superb that is a great idea. We can work together and finzalize a builder. That way, we can get a good price and good quality. - My plot is in Teynampet (Chamiers Road) near Park Sheraton Hotel.

I shortlisted one builder on OMR Sholinganallur Infosys (VLMAKS constructions) but the only problem with him is that cracks are developing on the building, as early as 2 weeks from handing over the key . On the other hand, his specifications for 1400/- per sq ft looks pretty impressive.

I am still scouting for other builders. I am okay with unknown builders, as I am going to opt for post-paid payment only. I will disburse money only AFTER the work is completed, this way, I will have more grip on them.

I will send you a PM and surely work with you on the finer details.
Old 24th January 2015, 21:50   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
HI DIYGUY,

I would advise having a stilt floor. The advantages are many
. You have enough space to park many cars
. If you need a largish space for any function, it is there. A lot of my friends in Delhi, use it for holding Puja and other functions
. You can always us a part of the space for servants quarters
. A time may come, when parking on public roads will be illegal, and you will be lamenting not having stilts. In central Kolkata it is illegal to park cars on the roads, so owners have either a garage, or use the nearest petrol pumps after paying hefty fees.

One thing that you should plan for is Solar Heating and its distribution. Ideally you should have two sets of water pipes coming from the over head tanks
. One directly, bringing cold water
. Second via a Solar Heater bringing hot water. This pipe line should ideally be insulated and connected to electric geysers (if any are installed). So you have pre heated water, reducing electricity costs. Please be aware, that the electricity costs are rising monotonically, so the less you use the more you save. I have maintained a detailed record of my electricity usage over twenty years. In sixties it was Rs.0.25/unit. 10 years ago the average I paid was Rs.3/ per unit. Today I am paying over Rs7.5/ per unit, and soon it will rise to Rs10/unit.
Old 24th January 2015, 23:24   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have maintained a detailed record of my electricity usage over twenty years. In sixties it was Rs.0.25/unit. 10 years ago the average I paid was Rs.3/ per unit. Today I am paying over Rs7.5/ per unit, and soon it will rise to Rs10/unit.

Thanks for the great tips, have noted and will plan accordingly!!
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:02   #217
BHPian

Hi friends.

I am planning to build/extend the house at my native which is located down south in Tamilnadu near Madurai.

Currently, the existing building is 7 years old with 650 sqft built up area consisting of 1 hall, 1 kitchen, 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. It is not a full raised pillar construction. Instead it is a cut-pillar (half pillar) constructed building.

I am planning to extend this house by adding 2 bedrooms with attached bathrooms and one hall for a maximum of 1000 sqft on the ground floor itself. I am not planning for 1st floor due to availability of adequate land.

Below is the specification given by one of the builder:

1. The Earth work excavation for the size of 3’0”X3’0”X6’0”.

2. Sand filling for 6” thick.

3. P.C.C 1:4:8 for 6” thick.

4. R.C.C Column Footing & Mate for 1’6” depth(9” Depth flat &9” depth taper) (Rebar 10mm dia both ways 6” c/c) C.C.1:1.5:3

5. Providing of RCC Column with C.C.1:2:4 for the size of 9”X9” up to roof level. (Rebar 4 Nos of 12mm dia,8mm stirrups 7” c/c)

6. Plinth Beam for the size 9”X1’6” (Rebar 6 Nos of 12mm dia,8mm stirrups 8” c/

7. Providing Basement with brickwork and filling with Gravel or Crusher dust for the height of 2’6” from G.L.

8. Construction of Brick work in C.M. 1:6

I) All outer loads bearing walls will be 9” thick,41/2” thick wall as per drawing.

II) In ground floor, the height of the wall is 10’0” ,

9. Providing of RCC Lintel with C.C.1:2:4 at 7’0” height.(9” x6”)

(Top &Bottom 4 Nos 10mm dia,stirrups6mm dia 8” c/c but opening area bottom 1No 10mm dia rod provide)

10. Providing of RCC roof slab with C.C.1:2:4 for 4.5” tk. (Rebar 10mm 5” c/c,8mm 7” c/c)

11. Providing main door with teak wood (Back support blanks with NU wood) with bottom granite slab will be provide.

12. Providing other door and windows with country wood (like kongu) and Shutters with glass including safety grills squar Bar rod works.

13. Providing ceiling plastering with C.M.1:3, Wall plastering with C.M.1:5

14. Providing electrification up to point level only. Using Kundan cable and Switches. Or its equivalent

15. Providing flooring with first quality commercial vertifield tiles24”x24” (Cost @ Rs 45/ sft)

In bath room wall tiles should be laid up to 7’0” ht . In kitchen 2’0” ht. (cost @ Rs 30/ sft)

16. Providing shelves with cuddappah slabs

17. Providing Granite slab plat form in kitchen with one number of Stainless steel sink,

18.Normal type EWC=1No,IWC = 1No,washbasin=1No.

19. Provided for Plumbing concelled CPVC pipe,openPVC Pipe

20.Providing 1 no of loft(2’0” width) and 1 no of shelf in each room.

21.Providing wall finishing with 2 coats of Emulsion over one coat of white

wash(inner)and inner wallputty exculding

22. Two coats of Acess paint over 1 coat of white wash(outer)

23.Painting of wood work with 2 coats of enamel over 1 coat of primer.

24.Providing weathering coarse with lime mortar and top finished with flat tiles.

For the above specifications, the Builder is quoting Rs. 1500 per square feet.

Kindly request the experts to advice me whether the above price is higher for the said specifications. If yes, then what may be an approx price to look out for other options.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by rki2007 : 23rd February 2015 at 14:11.
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:47   #218
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a plot near Avadi and I am planning to go for construction of a G+1 house with 1200 sft in ground floor and 725 sft in 1st floor. I got a quote for 1895 per sft for GF and 1595 per sft for 1st floor from one of the builders which includes Weathering course, kajaria tiles, Ultratech cement, Tata Tiscon steel and standard building materials and wooden doors etc. The price excludes compound Wall, Septic tank, Overhead tank. I am confused with the price. i feel it is on the higher side. But the builder is saying he will use the materials as per the contract and will not budge on quality and the cement/labour prices have shot like a mountain in the recent months. can some one guide me on the prevailing rates and any reliable builders contractors?
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:33   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Hi all,

I have a plot near Avadi and I am planning to go for construction of a G+1 house with 1200 sft in ground floor and 725 sft in 1st floor. I got a quote for 1895 per sft for GF and 1595 per sft for 1st floor from one of the builders which includes Weathering course, kajaria tiles, Ultratech cement, Tata Tiscon steel and standard building materials and wooden doors etc.
It is best to take a couple of additional quotes. I know the rate varies between 1600-1800 for normal construction. You should talk to some of his other clients, visit those projects and see quality of construction. I am yet to embark on mine and hope to start latet this year.
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:55   #220
Team-BHP Support

Today my 15 year old Sintex water tank got damaged in a brush fire started by some idiots. Need to replace it.

Do I simply order another, has anything changed in water storage tank technology in the past 15 years?
Old 23rd February 2015, 23:30   #221
BHPian

@ rki2007

It's a long list but not nearly long enough. Good part is at least the contractor has given you all this list. Without going into each point, few thoughts from my side.

Main bars proposed seem adequate but can't really say without knowing beam spans, column spacing, etc. Should ideally have been calculated by an engineer. Stirrups seem too spaced out though, 8" throughout would be too high.

Rs 1500 per sqft seem decent, try to get more expensive tiles. If you are using teak wood frame why paint it? It's like having something beautiful and then hiding it. Get it polished, especially internal ones. The charm of wood is its warm tone and natural grain. A good polish should show off those charm, not hide it.
Old 24th February 2015, 03:20   #222
Senior - BHPian

The latest these days is the triple layered/walled tank from Sintex and lately from Plasto. I replaced our old black Sintex with this new fangled thing here in Dilli a couple of years ago and there are indeed two advantages. The cost IIRC was Rs.1.70 per litre.

1. The neck of the tank and the lid are better designed and the tank does remain clean for a longer period of time.

2. In summers the water is a bit more bearable to touch than was the case with the black walled tank. Of course this makes the water more unbearable to touch in winters.

Interesting fact/trivia : In summers we prefer to use water from the storage geysers for usage as it is at a more suitable temperature and for all 'warm' water use we open the regular supply faucets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today my 15 year old Sintex water tank got damaged in a brush fire started by some idiots. Need to replace it.

Do I simply order another, has anything changed in water storage tank technology in the past 15 years?
Old 14th April 2015, 15:55   #223
BHPian

House roof leaking water. Any solutions ?

Hi Bhpians,

I have my house ceiling leaking in the last rainfall. Leak is from the junction of roof and the vertical wall.

Need your guidance in fixing the solution for the same. Any root causes to be explored to find a permanent solution. If the leakage increases, it might damage my wardrobes.

This is the first time I am seeing and experiencing the same.
Old 14th April 2015, 16:17   #224
Senior - BHPian

Re: House roof leaking water. Any solutions ?

Leaking = water dripping down
OR
Leaking = water seepage

Root cause can only be found by undoing the roof floor.
Old 14th April 2015, 16:58   #225
Senior - BHPian

Re: House roof leaking water. Any solutions ?

There are many methods to prevent this. Is it leakage or seepage. Some photos could help in finding a solution.

Most Viewed