Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 12:32   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

I am looking for a submersible water pump and a booster water pump. Any suggestion on which brand of the pumps available in india are reliable and have good service network and value for the money you pay. Appreciate your response.
Old 20th May 2015, 13:48   #242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am looking for a submersible water pump and a booster water pump. Any suggestion on which brand of the pumps available in india are reliable and have good service network and value for the money you pay. Appreciate your response.
Submersible water pumps - Suguna is good and VFM. I have also heard Grundfos is good but quite expensive. Not sure about the service network.
If I remember correctly, Grundfos also has booster water pumps.

Last edited by NPV : 20th May 2015 at 13:50.
Old 20th May 2015, 15:04   #243
BHPian

I have some leaky water supply plumbing at my native place. The house has been remodelled twice and there are no "blueprints"

I've decided to replace the entire plumbing with PVC.I need inputs from experienced members:

1.Do I have to paint the sun exposed PVC before installation.
2.Benefits drawbacks of using Threaded/solvent based joints.
3.Do I need to buy special Taps/faucets?
4.Are they totally leakproof?
5.What is the best option for plumbing/water supply in terms of materials?
Old 20th May 2015, 15:25   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
1.Do I have to paint the sun exposed PVC before installation.
2.Benefits drawbacks of using Threaded/solvent based joints.
3.Do I need to buy special Taps/faucets?
4.Are they totally leakproof?
5.What is the best option for plumbing/water supply in terms of materials?
1. No painting needed to PVC.
2. joints are longlasting and can take high pressure water. only disadvantage I can think of is you need to cut the pipe if you want to reroute or change and the joint would have to be replaced.
3. no, same taps /faucets will work.
4. yes they are supposed to handle higher pressure and are more durable than GI pipes.
5. Not sure on what you meant in the question.
Old 20th May 2015, 16:37   #245
BHPian

Re: Window Mesh?

We have this situation, where in a rat is entering through a first floor window every nite and causing havoc. We can NOT keep the window closed due to TV cable routing. As there is a function coming up, there are lots of materials stored inside the house.

Any suggestions/solutions for temporarily closing the window?
Old 20th May 2015, 17:05   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
We can NOT keep the window closed due to TV cable routing.
Close the window as much as possible and tape the remaining gap with thick transparent or brown packing tape. Rats are dangerous in terms of disease spread and if you have kids in the house, you should be drilling into the window frame and getting the cable in through that, at your earliest convenience...
Old 20th May 2015, 17:06   #247
BHPian

Quote:
We have this situation, where in a rat is entering through a first floor window every nite and causing havoc. We can NOT keep the window closed due to TV cable routing. As there is a function coming up, there are lots of materials stored inside the house.

cut an opening for TV cable and seal it with silicone caulking or m seal.

or board up with thick cardboard/thin plyboard if you want to seal off the window.
Old 20th May 2015, 19:21   #248
BHPian

Anyone here who can help design a small green home in Vijayawada (outskirts)? We want something more than a box - something more elegant.

The dream/plan is to leave as much land vacant as possible for plants/trees(even OK to raise the house off the ground). Construction would be very basic (but best quality possible) and might include weird items such as external plumbing and electrical wiring, colored cement flooring for low maintenance.

The problem is that we already have a 20+ year old house on the plot (260sqyd) which is sinking ever so slightly into the ground every year. Can this be saved? If not, we're ok to re-construct.
Old 20th May 2015, 20:05   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Drill a hole in the wall by the side of the window and route the cable from the hole.

Also, get a wire mesh fitted on the window. This will allow you to keep the window open for ventilation.
Old 20th May 2015, 20:11   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Anyone here who can help design a small green home in Vijayawada (outskirts)? We want something more than a box - something more elegant.

The problem is that we already have a 20+ year old house on the plot (260sqyd) which is sinking ever so slightly into the ground every year. Can this be saved? If not, we're ok to re-construct.
I think you will get creative architect in Hyderabad. I can also get you one from Pune, if you need. PM me for details.

It is possible to save the present house from sinking, if you are otherwise ok with this. This is related to the soil quality and existing foundation. After studying this, proper technique can be suggested to stop the sinking. BTW, how much does it sink every year? Does the most of the sinking happen in mansoon?
Old 20th May 2015, 20:21   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I have been using KSB pumps for the last 10 years. KSB is a German company listed in the stock market and operating in India for many years. Their products have outstanding quality and their distributor in Bangalore, Durga Traders, provides quick and impeccable service.

Out of the 2 borewell pumps, I replaced one in an exchange offer. The third is a submersible pump that I bought a few years ago.

When I initially went looking for a borewell pump at NR Road some 10 years ago, there were many local brands but all of them required 2HP whereas with KSB I could make do with a 1HP pump. Back then, I was advised not to go with a local brand as they require frequent servicing and heaving a pump out of a borewell is not something one wants to do everyday. Of course that was 10 years ago and I am not sure how much has changed by now.

PM me if you need contact information.
Old 21st May 2015, 09:48   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The dream/plan is to leave as much land vacant as possible for plants/trees(even OK to raise the house off the ground). Construction would be very basic (but best quality possible) and might include weird items such as external plumbing and electrical wiring, colored cement flooring for low maintenance.

Can connect you to many architects in Hyderabad.
However I recommend Mr. Jagan Mohan. He specializes in projects witha lot of open space.
Here is a link to an article in inside outside. http://www.insideoutside.in/inside-o...ns-jagan-mohan

Let me know if you would like to meet him. I can make sure you are attended to properly.
He is currently engaged in a project with the TS government in Yadigiri Gutta spread over a few thousands of acres.

Something like the attached image would be beautiful IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1012971_642253009236521_3370873797617283249_n.jpg  

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 21st May 2015 at 09:51.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:18   #253
BHPian

Quote:

If you travel abroad, buy trailer homes, used ones go for a song, sorry if reply is way off, .

But Indian Weather pattern can be a challenge.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:34   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
While I could spend more money and get the modular cabinets but I'm not going to use them in our new home.
If possible, please post a couple of pics of the shelves and the room.

As everyone suggested, modular cabinets will be a good choice. Since you wont be using it in your new home, you can reduce the cost and effort by just covering the shelves using the cabinet and using the shelves as inner partitions so that everything will be hidden. The shelf measurements will also help esp depth and thickness to reduce the wall damage for fixing the cabinet.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 22nd May 2015 at 11:51.
Old 24th May 2015, 17:19   #255
Senior - BHPian

I am right now big time in trying to maintain our home and cleaning up stuff. I need to set right or organize some of the basic stuffs like mails, cd's, keys which keeps lying around.

Does anybody know of a good place in bangalore for buying a quality letter and key holder. Also a CD organizer which can fit inside a cabinet below TV. I checked in the usual online shops but none of the ones shown interest me.

I am looking something trendy like the one in the link below.
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/th...and-key-holder

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks