Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:07   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Yes, very much possible. You will need a bigger bit (20mm or higher) to drill. Any local marble mistry will be able to do it with a driller at few hundred bucks
Thanks, @ITNerd ! That's a relief. I thought I had screwed it up.
Old 4th May 2017, 10:37   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it possible to drill a hole through the 19mm granite slab kitchen top ?

While doing our kitchen, I have missed to provide a routing for the pipe from cylinder to the gas stove. The cylinder will be placed in the utility area adjacent to the kitchen. The gas needs to be brought to the stove via a pipe thru the wall. But the granite slab is already fixed, and the cabinets are in place. The best way at this time is if I can drill a 19mm hole in the granite slab, so that I can get the rubber pipe through. Is it possible ?
It is possible, but granite being hard you will need a diamond coated drill bit, and at 19mm diameter it is very expensive.

http://www.wikihow.com/Drill-Through-Granite

http://www.diamondtoolstore.com/dril...-bits-c-4_120/
http://www.amazon.in/Metal-Bond-Diam...874518&sr=1-13

Last edited by Aroy : 4th May 2017 at 10:40.
Old 8th May 2017, 22:25   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Thanks for the inputs on drilling thru granite !

Another question:
I am looking for a lamp-shade :
1) wall mount
2) Must take regular bulbs
3) Adjustable angle or 60 degree angle

Requirement: must throw good light on to our dining table.

I have scoured the shops but not able to find anything suitable. I have ordered from Flipkart & Amazon and returned them. I have looked thru sites like pepperfy etc.

Any other sources ?
Old 9th May 2017, 00:35   #514
BHPian

Request inputs from anyone here who has got sheet roofing done on their terrace recently. We plan to get this done for 1) reducing the heat at ourtop floor bed rooms, as well as for 2) keeping some veg/leafy/plants which otherwise in full open sun has bear the brunt in past. Also would like to have green nets on 2sides partially.
In Chennai what would be approx range of total cost? Area would be ~ 15ft x 27ft (6ft height min on sides) on the terrace of a G+1 house.
To have an optimum section for the frame (to even resist cyclone vardha type hits ) what shape of roof is better? Sloped to both sides/ 1 side / or arched shape/ or a pyramid shape? Will the cost vary vastly in each of these cases?
Recently else where in the neighborhood, car sheds in front yard were built at approx 120 per sqft rate for single sloping types.
Any other "important" points to be thought of?
Thank you friends for any of your thoughts!
Old 9th May 2017, 00:40   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quoting only to get your attention

We also have an opportunity to consider replacing the switches (and the electrical boxes inside the walls if necessary). Not at all happy with the Anchor Roma (now Panasonic ?) switches we have. Any other suggestions - MK / Crabtree / Legrand ? Don't want to spend a fortune on this!
Hi NPV,

Anchor Roma are not so bad at the price point. You get a 35% discount and they also change defective switches under warranty within 2 years with no questions asked.

MK are a lot more expensive but they do last longer.

Crabtree even more expensive but supposed to be really good - as per my electrician.

Legrand - I was told to avoid by my electrician. Warranty issues according to him.

SS
Old 9th May 2017, 03:21   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Crabtree even more expensive but supposed to be really good - as per my electrician.
We used Crabtree throughout the house when they were introduced (around 2004/5). The child proof shutters on the 5 A wall sockets were a pain and it was impossible to get a two pin plug into them. We even had issues with putting in 3 pin plugs. All plugs were either Anchor or were manufacture supplied ones so it was definitely the sockets that were to blame. We broke several wall plates and sockets in the first 2-3 years. We believe it was a design flaw (at least with initial batches) but we are stuck with using Crabtree now.

We stocked up on replacements around 2008 so that we can replace as they break. Would not buy Crabtree again.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 9th May 2017 at 03:23.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:33   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Would not buy Crabtree again.
+1

Stay away from Crabtree. They make worst switches, wall sockets fan regulators. We used Crabtree in our entire house (built in 2012) and already replaced many regulators and plug points. Their products have both manufacturing and design issues.

I find simple switches/plugs from GM/MK brands are much better comparing to these fancy brands.

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th May 2017 at 05:35.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:07   #518
BANNED

I find Alme, Alemac & their sub brands (http://www.alemacswitches.com/) to be good value for money. The builder in my earlier home had fitted some totally non-standard stuff. Whenever something used to go bad, I used to replace it with Alme/Alemac. My electrician said they replace bad stuff without much of a hassle for 2-3 years, but I never had to do that.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:28   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, would be great if you can provide some guidance on wall tile sizes to use - confused after seeing 300x450mm, 300x600mm, etc. Would prefer to have reduced number of joints, so 300x600mm make sense ?
Any reason to reduce number of joints ? If placed properly, and grouting done, there should be no reason to complain.
1) If you have wall cabinets, and hence space is restricted - then go for tiles that fit in well.
2) Else, go for tiles of the design you want.

Quote:
2. We also have an opportunity to consider replacing the switches (and the electrical boxes inside the walls if necessary). Not at all happy with the Anchor Roma (now Panasonic ?) switches we have. Any other suggestions - MK / Crabtree / Legrand ? Don't want to spend a fortune on this!
You may not need to replace the boxes inside. Reg Roma, the only problem I have seen in the last 12+ years is that the switches break at the mounting point. Else they have been fine. Recently tried Legrand. Looks well built - especiallly the rear metal plate, and the switches also look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Anchor Roma are not so bad at the price point. You get a 35% discount and they also change defective switches under warranty within 2 years with no questions asked.

Legrand - I was told to avoid by my electrician. Warranty issues according to him.
Reg the prices, have seen many shops give good rates on these - some items at less than 50%. Though have not gone back for warranty - since they have not broken, and I dont get a bill either.

Any specific issues with Legrand ?

The one other Roma product I am not happy about is the mini fan regulator. Speeds 1 & 2 are almost same, while 3 is good and 4 is faast. I cannot use the square ( 2 slot) version, hence - any suggestions for a single slot regulator ?
Old 9th May 2017, 08:56   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Any other sources ?
Have you visited BVK Iyengar road? We sourced all out lighting from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Stay away from Crabtree. They make worst switches, wall sockets fan regulators.
+1, Its Craptree. We did fall to same trap. Most of switches simply give away! Not worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I find simple switches/plugs from GM/MK brands are much better comparing to these fancy brands.
Are these straight fit in to Crab tree wall boxes? If so I will slowly start replacing switches with GM or other brand.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:59   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Have you visited BVK Iyengar road? We sourced all out lighting from there.
I dont think the shops on BVK Iyengar road will have anything drastically different from shops in other parts of the city. And most shops I have been to have pretty much the same stuff. :(
Old 9th May 2017, 11:04   #522
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to all the people who have had bad experiences with crabtree, I have positive feedback about it. We have used crabtree for all our switches(including dimmers, two way) plus regulators and its been going good from the past 13 years. Till date have had to change only two switches and one socket. Infact this was suggested by our architect and electrician who had used the same switches in all their other projects.

@condor, Please check Arihant Lighting. We have shopped there and found to have good variety in their product range. Also I have heard good reviews from a friend of mine for a shop called, Nine Lights. This is on the same road(Kanakapura Road) as Tyre professionals.

Please do check them out if it helps your requirement.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:26   #523
Senior - BHPian

@RaguHolla - No, we replaced entire box.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:41   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Contrary to all the people who have had bad experiences with crabtree, I have positive feedback about it. We have used crabtree for all our switches(including dimmers, two way) plus regulators and its been going good from the past 13 years. Till date have had to change only two switches and one socket. Infact this was suggested by our architect and electrician who had used the same switches in all their other projects.
+1 to that. I have been using both Crabtree and Le-grand for the last 4 years in my apartment and have had only 2 switches go kaput and this was quite recently.

I was so darn impressed with the quality of the crab-tree sockets that I went on to build the Power Conditioner Sockets and the power distribution unit sockets for my home theater. Been 3 years now since I built the new setup for the HT and no issues what so ever. Having used the Athena range of switches and the Verona 3 pin sockets, I can vouch for their quality.

On the other hand, brands like GM dont pay much attention to quality. Buy a bulb holder or even a 5 or 15 amp socket holder from them, you will know what I am talking about. They lack finesse in their operation and the build quality is simply downright pathetic.
Old 9th May 2017, 19:49   #525
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all your responses, albeit a bit late for me

Since the electrical work was restricted to Kitchen and hence all 15A sockets mostly for appliances, I'd decided it wouldn't be Anchor Roma based on our earlier experience.

I liked LeGrand more than MK, so got the boxes and had them fixed and plastering is over now.

@Condor - reason for my question on tile sizes was that I'd like to avoid having partly cut tiles on the wall, they look awkward when viewed from certain angles. What confused me was the current gen tiles sizes are mentioned in cm and mm while earlier it was in inches I figured that with our kitchen size being a perfect rectangle, 450mm (18 inch) tiles would fit perfectly without having to cut tiles at the end of the wall, so decided on 300mm x 450mm (30 x 45cm or 12" x 18") as they fit the bill perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks