Team-BHP - Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100713-home-construction-makeover-maintenance-thread-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3006320)
Could anyone suggest me where the Marble market / Granite market in Chennai is.

I want to do some price-study for putting marble flooring in my house. I am looking for suggestions also.

comments appreciated

I don't know where the market is in Chennai. But, have seen many people from Kerala buying granite/marble from Bangalore. A customer can visit Bangalore and select the item and even sign/mark, the shop will take care of the transportation.

Have a price study, if interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3006330)
I don't know where the market is in Chennai. But, have seen many people from Kerala buying granite/marble from Bangalore. A customer can visit Bangalore and select the item and even sign/mark, the shop will take care of the transportation.

Have a price study, if interested.

This is really useful info. I am somewhat familiar with Bangalore (lived for about 2.5 years). Could you tell me where the Marble Market in Bangalore is ? I Would be greatly interested in visiting the Bangalore Market. I am in chennai it is just couple of hours drive to Bangalore.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3006463)
This is really useful info. I am somewhat familiar with Bangalore (lived for about 2.5 years). Could you tell me where the Marble Market in Bangalore is ? I Would be greatly interested in visiting the Bangalore Market. I am in chennai it is just couple of hours drive to Bangalore.:)

Most of the shops are located in "Marble Road". This is Bannerghatta Road stretch from Dairy Circle towards city.

In addition to above, have seen shops in Bannerghatta-Anekal area.

Hi All,

I am planning to construct a house and have a basement car parking in consideration, due to space constraints. As per the current plan, the basement height will be 2.4 meters (~8 Feet), of which, around 1.75 meters (~5.75 Feet) would be below the ground level. So the rest 2.25 feet or so will be the height at which the ground floor stands.

As per many online forums and documents, the ideal ramp size for a basement car parking would be 1:6 - so that would mean that the ramp will have to start from a distance of at least 10 meters. Unfortunately, we have only around 3-3.5 meters to spare for the ramp. There is a mango tree on this plot - so to save it, this constraint has come up. I hope the section image gives clarity...

I wanted help on deciding whether it will be wise to proceed with the plan still. I have a Punto which is infamous for low ground clearance. Would it save its belly, front bumper, etc. from scraping, if we provide such a steep inclination? Would conversion ramps help in this case?

Want your suggestions on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devansn (Post 3062419)
Hi All,

I am planning to construct a house and have a basement car parking in consideration, due to space constraints. As per the current plan, the basement height will be 2.4 meters (~8 Feet), of which, around 1.75 meters (~5.75 Feet) would be below the ground level. So the rest 2.25 feet or so will be the height at which the ground floor stands.

As per many online forums and documents, the ideal ramp size for a basement car parking would be 1:6 - so that would mean that the ramp will have to start from a distance of at least 10 meters. Unfortunately, we have only around 3-3.5 meters to spare for the ramp. There is a mango tree on this plot - so to save it, this constraint has come up. I hope the section image gives clarity...

I wanted help on deciding whether it will be wise to proceed with the plan still. I have a Punto which is infamous for low ground clearance. Would it save its belly, front bumper, etc. from scraping, if we provide such a steep inclination? Would conversion ramps help in this case?

Want your suggestions on this.

I think its going to be steep especially for low GC vehicles. I scrapped my car few times at a friends place on a similar setup. Please wait for expert comments.

Why don't you consider half or full ground floor for parking with pillar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3062525)
I think its going to be steep especially for low GC vehicles. I scrapped my car few times at a friends place on a similar setup. Please wait for expert comments.

Why don't you consider half or full ground floor for parking with pillar?

Thanks coolclouds! My earlier plan indeed was with a 4X4.3 Meter pillared ground floor parking. But the compromise was on the frontage of the house - from the front boundary wall, it was just 4 meters to the house. With two mango trees in the front side, the space looked very less. And I did not want the mango trees to be cut.

My apartment has single glazed aluminium windows, which rattle and have poor noise insulation. Thinking of changing to uPVC double glazed ones. Like most apartments in BLR, mine has MS grill on the inside, so presume that would need to be taken out and re-installed.

Since, this would be a big exercise, are there any other possibilities to improve sound insulation on existing windows. Also, if anyone has gone through a similar exercise, please share your experience.

Thanks,
Su-47

I was thinking of getting POP done for ceiling of my flats living room. The room is roughly 21 ft x 14 ft in size. The contractors are giving rates by "running" foot. What is this running foot? Is it specific to these kind of POP jobs? Couldn't this be based on per square foot? How much would the running foot number for my living room if one has calculate that based on the dimensions mentioned above?

Quote:

Originally Posted by devansn (Post 3062536)
Thanks coolclouds! My earlier plan indeed was with a 4X4.3 Meter pillared ground floor parking. But the compromise was on the frontage of the house - from the front boundary wall, it was just 4 meters to the house. With two mango trees in the front side, the space looked very less. And I did not want the mango trees to be cut.

Your drawing shows about 6m frontage but in your second post you say 4m. To climb 1.76m in 4m distance is way too steep, and you will scrap your car. Moreover your house will outlast your Punto, so you may want bigger car later. All in all, your proposal does not look practical to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 3062555)
My apartment has single glazed aluminium windows, which rattle and have poor noise insulation. Since, this would be a big exercise, are there any other possibilities to improve sound insulation on existing windows. Also, if anyone has gone through a similar exercise, please share your experience.

Photograph of existing condition will help alot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 3062567)
I was thinking of getting POP done for ceiling of my flats living room. The room is roughly 21 ft x 14 ft in size. The contractors are giving rates by "running" foot. What is this running foot? Is it specific to these kind of POP jobs? Couldn't this be based on per square foot? How much would the running foot number for my living room if one has calculate that based on the dimensions mentioned above?

A ceiling obviously has to be measured in square feet. Anyway, just ask this contractor how much running feet is this room as per his calculation, and ask for his quote. You can then make your own per sqft analysis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 3062567)

I believe contractors assume that you want to put POP at the corner ir where wall and ceiling meets not on the ceiling like around lights/fans on the ceiling.
If yes then they call it as running length. The POP design width may have 5 to 8 inches approx as per your choice and the length they will term as running length
If room is 21X14 then it would be 21+21+14+14= 70 ft running length (running feet). It may come 3 to 4 running feet more depending on corners/design matching etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3062596)
Your drawing shows about 6m frontage but in your second post you say 4m. To climb 1.76m in 4m distance is way too steep, and you will scrap your car. Moreover your house will outlast your Punto, so you may want bigger car later. All in all, your proposal does not look practical to me.

What I meant was that prior to adding the basement proposal to the plan, the frontage was close to 4 meters only. But now, by avoiding the ground level parking, frontage is around 8.5 meters. In the image, the distance of 6 meters and 5 meters are shown as proposed points to start the ramp down. However, since the mango tree stands at around 4-4.25 meters or so, was thinking if the ramp could start after the tree.

Any idea what is the minimum suggested ramp length for 1.75 meters deep basement? Lets consider my car or some others that have longer noses and tails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devansn (Post 3062536)

You could make a curved ramp, meaning that your car will be parked at 90° as opposed to the way its shown now. Essentially this would mean having a full fledged semi-basement garage :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjosep (Post 3063000)
You could make a curved ramp, meaning that you car will be parked at 90° as opposed to the way its shown now. Essentially this would mean having a full fledged semi-basement garage :)

Thanks vinjosep! Thats indeed a good idea - will check out if thats possible. Basically, if I can create the ramp from a portion (30% of the total perimeter, suppose) of a circle of radius, say, 6 meters (I think that would be more than all the passenger vehicles' turning radius), I think we can create a 7.3 meter ramp from a total length of 3.5 meters. No the issues of taking the car out of the basement needs to be sorted out - reversing through a circular ramp may require quite an effort!

Quote:

Originally Posted by devansn (Post 3062683)
What I meant was that prior to adding the basement proposal to the plan, the frontage was close to 4 meters only. But now, by avoiding the ground level parking, frontage is around 8.5 meters.

I am still not clear on this. Do you mean the basement line is 3.5m inside with respect to frontage of building? If yes you will need to also check headroom between ramp and front of building.
Quote:

Any idea what is the minimum suggested ramp length for 1.75 meters deep basement? Lets consider my car or some others that have longer noses and tails.
Please see attached image. The car is a typical sedan. The red line shows a simple ramp at 1:3 slope is barely sufficient; you will scrape the car. With modification to top and bottom of ramp (blue line) its safe but distance also increases. Dimensions in centimetre.

Also note that if basement is inset 3.5m (see previous section), at 1:3 ramp you will be already climbing 1m up, so check headroom. Another point to consider is that 1:3 is extremely steep. In comparision most parking ramps are not less than 1:10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devansn (Post 3063064)
Thanks vinjosep! Thats indeed a good idea - will check out if thats possible. Basically, if I can create the ramp from a portion (30% of the total perimeter, suppose) of a circle of radius, say, 6 meters (I think that would be more than all the passenger vehicles' turning radius), I think we can create a 7.3 meter ramp from a total length of 3.5 meters.

Although I am not entire clear of what you are having in mind, all I can add is that a typical sedan being 4.5m long, you will need similar space behind it for comfortable turning and parking. At the very least you will need 8m wide basement, IMHO. This is considering the ramp coming in at one end of the basement.

How many cars are you planning to fit in the basement. If you are considering this option for only one car, I don't think its worth it. Reason being space taken up by the ramp is equivalent to one parking space!

EDIT:

I had a closer look at your drawing again and two points come to mind.

There would be a head room problem between ramp and ground floor beam if you go for a steep ramp to save the tree. Hatchbacks and sedans may pass through but tall people will hit their head on the beam.

Your problem will be solved to a large extend by maintaining driveway at existing ground level. On the other hand you may have other compulsions for proposing a higher ground level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3006463)

There are a lot of marble distributors on Sarjapur road as well.