Team-BHP - Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/100713-home-construction-makeover-maintenance-thread-7.html)

Planning to remove the badly damaged RCC roof of our house in kerala which is more than 35 years old and replace with Tiled sloping roof (typical old style Kerala ottu veedu).
This way we believe we will get attic / storage area in the space between the tiled roof and the ceiling. Have two queries though:
1. Instead of wooden rafters used earlier, can non-wooden rafters be fabricated on which the tiles are placed? What material can those rafters be?
2. In the olden days ceilings used to be of wood, which is not practical today. What material should be used for the ceiling (beneath the tilded roof) so that it is weight bearing and also prevent heat radiation from the roof on to the room(s) below?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3068642)
Have been to Jigani (Bangalore) today looking for some granite. The rates starting at Rs. 55-60 for Madurai stone and Rs. 70-90 for good quality designs. All are 20mm thick, 3'x10' size and above.

Surprised to see too many shops came up in the last two years! They are sending granite to neighboring states and the approximate cost would be about Rs. 20 per sq.ft

Thanks for the information. I was wondering which is the best place to go and buy wall as well as floor vitrified tiles? We are looking at value for money and not necessarily premium ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3138614)
Thanks for the information. I was wondering which is the best place to go and buy wall as well as floor vitrified tiles? We are looking at value for money and not necessarily premium ones.

I'm also on same boat. Looking for tiles and bathroom fittings. A guy in Avenue road (Laxmi Sanitary) offered 16.5% off on Parryware MRP whereas Chabria offered 25% off on Hindware MRP sometime back.

Please update this thread, if you find some good dealers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3138922)
I'm also on same boat. Looking for tiles and bathroom fittings. A guy in Avenue road (Laxmi Sanitary) offered 16.5% off on Parryware MRP whereas Chabria offered 25% off on Hindware MRP sometime back.

Please update this thread, if you find some good dealers.

Who is this Chabria? Sorry I don't know anyone in this industry :) But 25% off on Hindware is a pretty good deal. Where is he located?

How about the paints, acrylic emulsion paints are good or your normal distemper would suffice? The interior paint surface would be around 700 sqft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3139632)
How about the paints, acrylic emulsion paints are good or your normal distemper would suffice? The interior paint surface would be around 700 sqft.

Dear Motomaverick
I would recommend acrylic emulsion, because of the smooth finish, durability and washability and all this at not too high a cost since the area in consideration is small. Cost with application starts at around Rs.15 per sq.ft. of application.
On the other hand distemper is the low cost option here, gives decent enough finish and hence the choice of cost conscious people or builders. You can get it done if you are sure your walls don't get stains. Cost with application starts around Rs.9-10 per sq.ft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRide (Post 3133472)
Planning to remove the badly damaged RCC roof of our house in kerala which is more than 35 years old and replace with Tiled sloping roof (typical old style Kerala ottu veedu).
This way we believe we will get attic / storage area in the space between the tiled roof and the ceiling. Have two queries though:
1. Instead of wooden rafters used earlier, can non-wooden rafters be fabricated on which the tiles are placed? What material can those rafters be?
2. In the olden days ceilings used to be of wood, which is not practical today. What material should be used for the ceiling (beneath the tilded roof) so that it is weight bearing and also prevent heat radiation from the roof on to the room(s) below?

We did a tile roofing to our house in Kerala, but keeping the original RCC roof as it is. Our problem was slight water leakage and heat in summer in the bedrooms in first floor. Instead of wood, they used iron pipes(rectange ones) of different sizes to place the tiles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRide (Post 3133472)

If you have a RCC slab as roof, Do not remove it and just put a Metal roof or tile roof above it. This you can do it by fixing angle purlins above the slab. The present RCC slab/roof will be your false ceiling helping insulate the roof.

Kiran

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiren (Post 3139817)
If you have a RCC slab as roof, Do not remove it and just put a Metal roof or tile roof above it. This you can do it by fixing angle purlins above the slab. The present RCC slab/roof will be your false ceiling helping insulate the roof.

Kiran

On thing to add, make sure the walls are strong enough to support the weight of the new structure. The tiles and the iron frame will be heavy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormerider (Post 3139752)
Dear Motomaverick
I would recommend acrylic emulsion, because of the smooth finish, durability and washability and all this at not too high a cost since the area in consideration is small. Cost with application starts at around Rs.15 per sq.ft. of application.
On the other hand distemper is the low cost option here, gives decent enough finish and hence the choice of cost conscious people or builders. You can get it done if you are sure your walls don't get stains. Cost with application starts around Rs.9-10 per sq.ft.

Thanks, so 15/sq ft is the overall cost which includes preparing the wall for painting after the plastering has been done? Or is it just the paint. I guess the rates will be more for Bangalore.

I was looking at Dulux website and we found quite a few color options we loved. So in the end considering Vaastu and our choice (every time they don't go hand in hand :)) we arrived at the following:

(Also shown below is the drawing for the house. The plan is to construct half right now due to emergency and half after 1.5 years.)

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-houseplan_half.jpg

1. 1 color for the Kitchen & Dinning area (Sun Yellow) with B&W checkered tiles near the cooking area.
2. Light Pastel yellow shade for 2 walls in Kid bedroom & master bedroom.
3. The remaining 2 walls in the Kid room to get a green shade, that same color we were planning to use in the Bathroom
4. A warm shade of yellow in the remaining 2 walls of the master bedroom.

Do the above color scheme workout well, I know we would have to buy 4 color shades which will increase the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArunV (Post 3139827)
On thing to add, make sure the walls are strong enough to support the weight of the new structure. The tiles and the iron frame will be heavy.

If its a very old structure with a RCC slab, the walls must be strong enough. Most of the old sturctures are over engineering design :). Further, with 4/5mm angles as purlins and metal roof, the weight will increase by only max 15kgs/sqm. Please check. These is all assuming its an RCC roof.

Kiran

I will comment on something you have not asked. Where is the living room? Is it the 22' x 5' space? Maybe it is not shown here? Just curious.

Edit: My question is posed to motomaverick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArunV (Post 3139827)

Assuming that its an old structure, walls will be sufficiently thick and strong and the compression load is nothing to worry about. As it is slabs and other structural components are designed with 'Factor of Safety' at multiple levels which helps in such scenarios, so I don't think its going to have any ill effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3139829)
Thanks, so 15/sq ft is the overall cost which includes preparing the wall for painting after the plastering has been done? Or is it just the paint. I guess the rates will be more for Bangalore.

No idea about those rates in south India, but this is the rate we get the work done in rajasthan, U.P., Haryana, it starts around Rs. 18 in Delhi. Hope that helps.
Base preparation has two/three methods. First is Cement base wall putty, goes around Rs.3-4 per sq.ft.. Second is POP punning, depending upon the way of doing (with phatta, or in plumb) and also depending upon the undulation in plaster, this can start from Rs.8-9 per sq.ft. and can go on to Rs. 20 odd. The other methods of base preperations are not generally available in every area so wont comment.
As colours are concerned, would say that its a matter of choice. Would recommend that you ask the person to aplly small samples first which you guys can see and approve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3139843)
I will comment on something you have not asked. Where is the living room? Is it the 22' x 5' space? Maybe it is not shown here? Just curious.

Edit: My question is posed to motomaverick.

Good question and my bad for not putting it in my initial post. There is no living room right now as this is only the half portion of the house we are constructing to move in from a rented house. We have a kid coming along and the current rented house is too small, plus going for a 2BHK rented house here in our area of Bangalore will cost not less than 15k, so it made sense for us to construct, 2 rooms, kitchen, dining, and bath and pay the bank <15k emi :) Slowly once more funds are there we will construct the rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormerider (Post 3139897)
No idea about those rates in south India, but this is the rate we get the work done in rajasthan, U.P., Haryana, it starts around Rs. 18 in Delhi. Hope that helps.
Base preparation has two/three methods. First is Cement base wall putty, goes around Rs.3-4 per sq.ft.. Second is POP punning, depending upon the way of doing (with phatta, or in plumb) and also depending upon the undulation in plaster, this can start from Rs.8-9 per sq.ft. and can go on to Rs. 20 odd. The other methods of base preperations are not generally available in every area so wont comment.
As colours are concerned, would say that its a matter of choice. Would recommend that you ask the person to aplly small samples first which you guys can see and approve.

If Delhi rates are close to 18 then I am sure in Bangalore it will cross 20, anyways, thanks for your inputs, the idea of asking the question on color choice was to get a semblance on aesthetics considering that you are into construction business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3139952)

Good question and my bad for not putting it in my initial post. There is no living room right now as this is only the half portion of the house we are constructing to move in from a rented house. We have a kid coming along and the current rented house is too small, plus going for a 2BHK rented house here in our area of Bangalore will cost not less than 15k, so it made sense for us to construct, 2 rooms, kitchen, dining, and bath and pay the bank <15k emi :) Slowly once more funds are there we will construct the rest.

Good thought. A small suggestion on that front would be to increase the length of toilet to 8' approximately from 7', by reducing this 5' wide passage. Length of toilets is most important in terms of layout.

^ Thanks to all for responding to my previous query.
Metal roof over existing RCC slab is ruled out due to the heat-generation factor. Terracotta tiles (mangalore tiles) is preferred.

Yes the walls are strong. IIRC, they are 9-inch width red brick structure.