Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 11:21   #1261
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If you can't pour drain cleaners, then try vinegar or lyzol? Had a similar issue in one of the drains and after a few days of pouring lyzol and vinegar the smell went off...
Yes, that is what I plan to do next. Hope it resolves the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Oops, my bad

I didnt know that they are insects. Try using a couple of packets of Drain cleaner and see if that will help. I have faced a similar smell in my relatives bathroom. And no amount of pouring water into various drain holes helped.
Ha ha, no problem. I wonder why they call it fish though, probably because it has a body which resembles fish's. Yes, drain cleaner is what I plan to use now.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:57   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is going rate of painting labour contract per square feet for nee construction in Bangalore ?

I got quote of 11 Rs psf for putty + 2 coat of paint from one painter does it look reasonable?
Also for exteriors scaffolding cost is not included in this.
New painting works go for Rs 17-22 per sq ft in Delhi including 2-3 mm putty for smoothening and primer (without any PoP punning). For labour rate, you will have to deduct cost of material and check. Different paints (OBD, emulsion, etc) have different coverages so it is difficult to judge without more details
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:24   #1263
BHPian

Does anyone here have any experience with Jeyes aluminium ladders?

I was going to get a Bathla from Amazon or something but the local retailers have Jeyes with them and seem to recommend it for spare parts availablity.
Old 21st October 2020, 10:29   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with Jeyes aluminium ladders?

I was going to get a Bathla from Amazon or something but the local retailers have Jeyes with them and seem to recommend it for spare parts availablity.
Well. If it helps make a decision - we have 2 bathla ladders and one of them lost a shoe (the rubber stands on which the ladder stands). I sent and email and they sent an extra pair free of cost. That was years after we bought the ladder. That's customer service!!!
deep_bang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:40   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take Bathla from Amazon we have one for 16-17 years never required any spare part till now.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:36   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
That's customer service!!!
wonderful, i purchased their ladder, cloth stand and ironing board about 12 years back and the cloth stand broke. I got a free replacement but had to carry it into the dealer. Still a good experience. And yes the shoes tend to fall off, i guess i should super glue them to prevent accidentally losing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Take Bathla from Amazon we have one for 16-17 years never required any spare part till now.
+1 and has been one of my wiser purchases.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:32   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Bathla is the best when it comes to ladders. We have one that is 20 years old. It has seen a lot of use. It is still as good as new functionally. Their iron stand is also very good
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:34   #1268
Senior - BHPian

I bought "Plantex Prime 6 Step Foldable Aluminium Ladder" from amazon during the sale for ~ 3300 (with card discount). Load capacity rating is 150 kg (Bathla one is ~ 85 kg) and is bit heavier than the Bathla ladder (10 kg vs 6.67 kg). After seeing many +ve feedback on bathla, I thought I made a mistake��.

I received Plantex ladder today and initial impression is very good. Build quality is superior and there are no sqeaks when climbing. My mom say it looks very stylish.

See the picture below (please ignore the mess in the background)
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img_20201022_163644.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd October 2020 at 16:40.
Latheesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:03   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Bathla under rates the load capacity of their ladders to be on the safer side. My 4 steps + 1 top platform ladder has taken loads of over 120kg for extended periods multiple times over the past 20 years. It has not bent or deformed. Key is to ensure that the 4 legs are placed on the ground properly.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:41   #1270
BHPian

Thanks everyone. The lightning deal on Amazon that offered the 7 step Bathla ladder for Rs. 4,999 got over pretty quick. I was able to find the same ladder on Flipkart for even less (Rs. 4,399) but again couldn't purchase it in time (it went out of stock quickly...looks like people are buying these up).

Finally, at around midnight one piece was available in Flipkart for the same price and I used my Kotak debit card to get it at Rs. 3,958. Hopefully, it gets delivered without any damage as such.
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:57   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Highly recommend Aguerri 7 step ladder for its sturdy quality (Purchased in Jan). We paid Amazon 3,300 - on 'half off' discount
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I bought "Plantex Prime 6 Step Foldable Aluminium Ladder" from amazon during the sale for ~ 3300 (with card discount)
Old 27th October 2020, 12:09   #1272
BHPian

Had a doubt that I was hoping members here would answer.

We are planning to add a bedroom to the rear of my parents home. We don't really have to extend the home or anything. There is already something like an empty space (photo attached) that we planning to convert to a bedroom.

I just wanted to check if someone has done this before and knows the legal process to follow. Do I have to submit updated plans to the gram panchayat (it's a small one in Kannur, Kerala)?

Is there a website that details this process and how many months does it usually take for such an approval?

My dad call up the local panchayat member but she basically had a don't worry about it attitude that I am not a fan of. Besides, he is of the opinion that stuff like this would take months to process and would need multiple chai pani contributions.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-img20201027120601.jpg  

JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:07   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to check if someone has done this before and knows the legal process to follow. Do I have to submit updated plans to the gram panchayat (it's a small one in Kannur, Kerala)?
Yes, an updated plan is required. Your best bet is to get a local contractor who will get the necessary approvals. I doubt you will be able to do it online.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:43   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Need help:

Some of the door locks in my house is pretty tight and difficult to operate. Which lubricant to use in door locks?
Old 28th October 2020, 17:41   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Need help:

Some of the door locks in my house is pretty tight and difficult to operate. Which lubricant to use in door locks?
I use WD40 for all my door locks (Godrej/Europa/doorstep/local). Works like charm. I lubricate locks, door/window hinges once in 6 month with WD 40, all sounds usually disappear for next six months. WD40 is particularly helpful on hinges/locks that are exposed to elements of nature like main gate, garage door.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks