Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 17:46   #1276
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Need help:

Some of the door locks in my house is pretty tight and difficult to operate. Which lubricant to use in door locks?
WD 40 on all of them (from the main gate hinges to the hinges on the windows). Basically, got a large can from Amazon since the local retailers don't have WD40 and if they do then it's only the small can that lasts less than a few days.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:53   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
WD 40 on all of them (from the main gate hinges to the hinges on the windows). Basically, got a large can from Amazon since the local retailers don't have WD40 and if they do then it's only the small can that lasts less than a few days.
I have a large can of WD40 with me

When searching for lock issue I came across this

"But this multi-faceted product has limitations – it should never be used to lubricate locks! The main reason for this is that WD40 is not a true lubricant; it is a water and oil displacing solvent. This means that it can actually remove any lube already in the lock, leaving it dry and susceptible to sticking."
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:30   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
I have a large can of WD40 with me

"But this multi-faceted product has limitations – it should never be used to lubricate locks! The main reason for this is that WD40 is not a true lubricant; it is a water and oil displacing solvent. This means that it can actually remove any lube already in the lock, leaving it dry and susceptible to sticking."
Thank you for the tip! You learn something new. However Godrej recommends WD40 on their lock maintenance. So I am good to use it I guess!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:38   #1279
BHPian

Quote:

My dad call up the local panchayat member but she basically had a don't worry about it attitude that I am not a fan of.
Apparently, this is how it works in India. Ours was the first house in out village to be built with a map in 1992 and I doubt we sought any permissions. We just added 2 floors 2 years ago and again no permissions were sought. In fact, it was after everything was done and I was looking to get the home loan transferred to another bank, did I come across all the rules and regulations that should be followed. When I enquired about them, the Panchayat had the same attitude and since my bank also didn't stress for a completion certificate, I decided to let the situation be as it is. No one seeks any permissions in all the villages I have seen unless one needs to get the land converted from agricultural to non-agricultural.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:12   #1280
BHPian

Hi any experiences with PUF board roofing? I am planning to add a room on the top floor and was toying around the idea of using tiles. An alternate was suggested by the engineer for using PUF boards. How is the durability, do the workers have experience fitting them and how weather proof are they? Looking for users to share their experience to help me decide.
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:46   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are planning to add a bedroom to the rear of my parents home. We don't really have to extend the home or anything. There is already something like an empty space (photo attached) that we planning to convert to a bedroom.
In addition to the legal angle please ensure that the structure of the terrace is capable of taking the load of an extra floor over it and the new roof slab (if its is a concrete slab) is connected properly to the existing one. Consult an engineer if required
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:15   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
In addition to the legal angle please ensure that the structure of the terrace is capable of taking the load of an extra floor over it and the new roof slab (if its is a concrete slab) is connected properly to the existing one. Consult an engineer if required
Thank you sir. Worry not...I wouldn't dream of letting some local contractor proclaim that the structure is solid enough and then begin construction.

We intend to consult an engineer for this. Though, I have to admit that the competence of engineers in these parts doesn't seem that great. Our house seems to have been built with no regards to the wind direction, how much sunlight the plot would receive etc. I didn't realize all this as a kid but now I can only shake my head and learn to live with it.
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:47   #1283
BANNED

Quote:
There is the Town (or urban) planning Act. The Build Act and the Rules. The exact name will differ from each State to state. Various cities will have a "(name of city) Development Authority". These decide the zoning (residential/ commercial / industrial, etc.)

The Building Act empowers the state government to make rules and regulations and those are contained in the relevant Building Rules. The rules themselves are typically adaptation of something called the "building code" a sort of non-binding, non-endorcibke guidelines.

The building rules may or may not apply to a specific panchayat. (A panchayat, municipality, corporation, Cantonment etc are units of local self government. The "village" is, however a unit under the revenue department of the state government. Under the control of the district collector and thesisdars. Panchayat / corporations / municipalities are not are theoretically independent, but are under the state government's local self government department.

Ugh oh. The plans and approvals?

In sparsely populated areas, the state government may choose not to implement the building rules, which is probably the case here. You build, declare the area to the panchatath and pay their half yearly building tax. You .ay still have to pay an annual tax on the land to the village for the land - whether it has a building or not. (Again depends).

But, if some is developing a plot of land and developing it as a "township, even in locations where building rules are not applicable, then, the Town Planning Act kicks in, and usually a clearance from the state government's town planning department is required. (The "approved lay out" in small print of ads). When a lay out is created, in urban areas, the concerned city development authority too may have to clear this.

Hope this has you tied up in knots. But please dont consult a lawyer on this. Go to a registered Architect or a graduate civil engineer. They need to register with state government (I forgot which department - sorry) before the plans they prepare are considered. They will know (or can find out) which laws are applicable to which location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Apparently, this is how it works in India. Ours was the first house in out village to be built with a map in 1992 and I doubt we sought any permissions. We just added 2 floors 2 years ago and again no permissions were sought. In fact, it was after everything was done and I was looking to get the home loan transferred to another bank, did I come across all the rules and regulations that should be followed. When I enquired about them, the Panchayat had the same attitude and since my bank also didn't stress for a completion certificate, I decided to let the situation be as it is. No one seeks any permissions in all the villages I have seen unless one needs to get the land converted from agricultural to non-agricultural.
See above.

OMG! I just said that to a post by an architect!!!
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:36   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have successfuly used WD40 to free up a lock that had got stuck after the door was varnished. It has been about 6 months since and the lock is working smoothly. But I also remember reading that if the lock contains rubber/plastic parts, WD40 could do damage.
Old 6th November 2020, 15:44   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our house seems to have been built with no regards to the wind direction, how much sunlight the plot would receive etc. I didn't realize all this as a kid but now I can only shake my head and learn to live with it.
These things are not given much thought.

Even the architects who give thought to these things are struggling with their professional success and satisfaction while the architects who don't bother are making pots of money. A lot of so-called 'sustainable' architecture is also just whitewash and an excuse to use fancy words and fancy 'green' products

The best off are the ones who don't know and don't care either: whether it is engineer, architect or contractor
architect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:18   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
These things are not given much thought...The best off are the ones who don't know and don't care either: whether it is engineer, architect or contractor
My daughter is in year 3 of her B. Arch from SAP, Anna University. Due to WFH i have had a chance to review her designs and sat in on her presentations to her teachers. Frankly i have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of feedback from the design teachers and the thought they bring into their review. Maybe these are considered academically and not as wide spread in practice, but am planning on building a house for us in the coming year and will hope to take factors into consideration such as wind flow, natural light etc. I dont know enough about sustainable material and that is not on my mind to consider either. My main criteria will be easy to maintain, simple, secure, maximum ventilation, natural light, natural cooling and utilitarian.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 19:13   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My daughter is in year 3 of her B. Arch from SAP, Anna University. Due to WFH i have had a chance to review her designs and sat in on her presentations to her teachers. Frankly i have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of feedback from the design teachers and the thought they bring into their review.
Good to know. I also take design studio for third year B.Arch. students here in Delhi.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:13   #1288
BHPian

Any Architect contact in Basavanagudi/Jayanagar area in Bangalore who can help redesign the facade/elevation of an old house thst is under renovation? Please let me know. Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 23:58   #1289
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Where in Bangalore can we buy Wooden/Bamboo blinds for exterior use in a balcony/gazebo ? Want to see first hand what's available, then look at online options.
For reference - what I had in mind were the ones used in homes of friends and family in Kerala, pretty rugged ones not sure if those were made from bamboo though.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:50   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Need help:
Home Location: Coastal area in Kerala (read heavy rains for few months) and weather is hot and humid.

Leakage from Joint:
We have a leakage issue in one of the first floor bedrooms. Leakage is from wall-roof/sun shade joints. Please see the image below, red lines are the approximate wall-sun shade joints (strange shape is because we have some multi layer designs outside). What is the best water proofing solution to prevent this?

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1606286600513.jpg

Roof leakage:
We have a leakage from one place in the roof (water drops inside from the location marked. Roof is a mix of plain and slanted surface and approximate area is ~ 1200 sqft. We are checking for solutions and received multiple suggestions. Covering the entire roof with clay roof tiles, ceramic roof tiles, synthetic sheets, Al-Zn coated roofing sheets-Tata/JSW (after water proofing e.g. Dr. Fixit). Really confused which one to choose.

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1606286600509.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-1606286600503.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 25th November 2020 at 13:11. Reason: fixing images

Most Viewed