Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2017, 13:13   #541
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you can get pre-laminated boards then a carpenter is the best bet.
Will check with my local carpenter about this and insist on the same.
Old 4th June 2017, 21:32   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am interested to know if something can be done to prevent any unforeseen termite problem.

Pramod
We have treatment done through Bayer pest control, they charged 6500 for 1200 sqft apartment. They provide 5 yr service warranty in writing and in case of recurrence follow up service is free
Old 17th June 2017, 18:58   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Good mini fan regulator ?

Due to space constraints in a switch box, I can only put in a mini fan regulator for one particular fan. The box & switches are of Roma make. However, the regulator is not good. From the begining, speeds 1 & 2 are almost same, 3 was fast, and 4 very fast. I have tried two such regulators.

Now, 1,2,3 are all of same speed (slow), and 4 is very fast. Hence need to replace the regulator.

Is there any good mini-regulator that I can try ?

it's a 6 socket box. 3 switches + 1 mini regulator + 1 3-pin socket.

Note: the fan wiring is for 2-way control. Due to the constraints, I have madee adjustments to the wiring such that the actual switch is always on ( this is behind a cabinet and not accessible), and the regulator doubles up as on-off-speed control unit.
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:54   #544
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some help for rubber wood kitchen cabinet shutter polishing.
Found that Asian paints has 2 products - Woodtech wood stain and Woodtech Aquadur wood stain.
Are these suitable for use with polish on rubber wood ?
Anyone know about this or have experience using these products ?
Old 24th June 2017, 10:52   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Good mini fan regulator ?

Due to space constraints in a switch box, I can only put in a mini fan regulator for one particular fan. The box & switches are of Roma make. However, the regulator is not good. From the begining, speeds 1 & 2 are almost same, 3 was fast, and 4 very fast. I have tried two such regulators.

Now, 1,2,3 are all of same speed (slow), and 4 is very fast. Hence need to replace the regulator.

Is there any good mini-regulator that I can try ?

it's a 6 socket box. 3 switches + 1 mini regulator + 1 3-pin socket.

Note: the fan wiring is for 2-way control. Due to the constraints, I have madee adjustments to the wiring such that the actual switch is always on ( this is behind a cabinet and not accessible), and the regulator doubles up as on-off-speed control unit.
Before you change the regulator, check if the fan is the culprit.

We have one fan which behaves similarly to yours, we tried every thing - change the regulator, switch regulators between fans etc. The regulator of the offending fan works fine on all the other fans, similarly every regulator from other fans have problem similar to yours. The diagnosis :-

The misbehaving fans are of older design which were designed to run with older resistance type regulators. With electronic regulators they are unable to vary speed as well, their behavior being pretty non linear (they do not function well with cut waveform of the electronic regulator). Please note that the last speed is a direct connection so the fan will rotate at its maximum.

So what is the solution? Either get hold of the older type regulator - which in your case is ruled out due to space constraint, or change the fan. In our case we bought a new fan and gave away the offending fan - it had been in service for more than 20 years.

One set of older fans still running beautifully on older type regulators have already crossed 40 years of service without a hitch.
Old 25th June 2017, 08:41   #546
BHPian

Might be OT in this thread, but i am interested in Carpentry as a hobby. I am a noob and would like to know the basics of carpentry before trying my hand in building things on my own. A bed laptop/coffee table is on my mind. It will be helpful if i can get some references to site(s) that have some useful content.
Old 25th June 2017, 11:44   #547
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, anyone know where we can buy concealed cabinet door hinges of face frame mount type (the cabinet carcase is not perpendicular but parallel to the door and is in a corner). Hettich and Blum make such hinges but surprisingly even the authorised dealers of these brands say they aren't available in India

Picture for reference - note corner cabinet door will fix on a face frame.
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-face-framw-cabinet.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2017 at 11:56.
Old 25th June 2017, 15:09   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
Might be OT in this thread, but i am interested in Carpentry as a hobby. I am a noob and would like to know the basics of carpentry before trying my hand in building things on my own. A bed laptop/coffee table is on my mind. It will be helpful if i can get some references to site(s) that have some useful content.
You can start here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ng-thread.html
Old 26th June 2017, 12:29   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, anyone know where we can buy concealed cabinet door hinges of face frame mount type (the cabinet carcase is not perpendicular but parallel to the door and is in a corner). Hettich and Blum make such hinges but surprisingly even the authorised dealers of these brands say they aren't available in India

Attachment 1651016
If you can show images of what you want we may be able to help you out. In the mean time here is what google search have

https://essentracomponents.co.in/ind...GyBxoC0mLw_wcB
http://www.amazon.in/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...l_7dm97sz43d_e

By the way what sort of ply board are you using? If it is not water-proof & termite-proof, you may have problems of rot in future, as constant contact with water in kitchen affects normal ply board.

Last edited by Aroy : 26th June 2017 at 12:31.
Old 26th June 2017, 15:37   #550
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you can show images of what you want we may be able to help you out.
The cabinet door for the corner unit does not have a perpendicular cabinet wall (the corner unit tray goes into the blind corner) and hence the regular concealed hinges cannot be fixed. From my search on the internet, the correct fit are the face frame mounting type concealed hinges.
Hettich Optimat Plus 4 FM (or 3 FM) and Blum Compact 38 or 39C series hinges support such mounting but all the Hettich & Blum dealers here say these are not available in India.

I see the Blum hinges on Amazon India but not sure about product authenticity and delivery can take weeks, so just asking around.
Quote:
By the way what sort of ply board are you using? If it is not water-proof & termite-proof, you may have problems of rot in future, as constant contact with water in kitchen affects normal ply board.
Water proof & termite resistant boards.
Old 27th June 2017, 18:17   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@NPV, do you have space to fix the hinges there ? there does not seem much gap to even create that small box to mount the hinge ?

In our case, we did not go for the corner units, but did a small jugaad for the corner sections. We fixed a movable shelf for the inner side.
Old 27th June 2017, 18:32   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea how to repair wooden flooring? We are experiencing some issues of the wood swelling up due to rain and some chipped off pieces as well.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:06   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, anyone know where we can buy concealed cabinet door hinges of face frame mount type
I do not know how it looks but you can try Paramanand in commercial Street. We used blum, hettich and hafele extensively in our home. The models which we wanted were available only in that shop.
PS:This was in 2014
Old 27th June 2017, 19:17   #554
Senior - BHPian

One of the bathrooms in my new rental house comes with a gap in the bathroom door through which water spills out and onto the dining room floor, and has caused my aged parents to slip multiple times

What can i fit to prevent this leakage? the bathroom is small, and the water from the shower and the bathing area hit the door directly forcing water out of even tiny gaps

I tried a rubber D section seal, but the whole thing came out the first time it got soaked properly
Old 27th June 2017, 20:12   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Any idea how to repair wooden flooring? We are experiencing some issues of the wood swelling up due to rain and some chipped off pieces as well.
@noopster, looks like replacement is the only option :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
One of the bathrooms in my new rental house comes with a gap in the bathroom door through which water spills out and onto the dining room floor, and has caused my aged parents to slip multiple times
pics / Layout of the bathroom ?

Is it possible to install a sliding partition to create a separate wet area inside the bathroom ?

One other option - add a beading to close the gap. If required, you may need to remove the door from the frame to add the beading.

Most Viewed