Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 10:05   #646
BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A small office room at church has a very mouldy smell and I noticed that the sofa has some mould too. Is there any way of treating or repainting the walls to ensure mould is not an issue. There is some water stagnation on the roof due to rain which can be addressed too.
Take a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar and soap solution in 3:1 ratio. Spray on to the area.
Old 29th November 2017, 16:46   #647
BHPian

Hi. We will be moving to our own home by Jan 1st week. Can anybody suggest on the budget allocation for getting the interior work done for a 2BHK? We plan to have basic cup boards and shelves done. Looking for something which will hold good for at least 5 years from now. And how much time will it take?
Old 29th November 2017, 17:11   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Budget will depend on what all you plan to do. Is it just cabinets & wood work ? Do you plan to get some false ceilings ? What kind of paint ?

Unless abused, the wood work will last.

Duration of work -depends on the work planned and your workers.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:23   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Budget will depend on what all you plan to do. Is it just cabinets & wood work ? Do you plan to get some false ceilings ? What kind of paint ?

Unless abused, the wood work will last.

Duration of work -depends on the work planned and your workers.
Thanks Condor.

Just cabinets and wood work for now. No false ceiling and default paint is fine for now. Guess it should take around 2.5 - 3 lakhs for the basic requirements I have.

I plan on getting this done within 2 weeks give or take a few days, while I stay in the current rented house. Not sure if the time is enough.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:46   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Take a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar and soap solution in 3:1 ratio. Spray on to the area.
Any specific concentration (as %) of Vinegar? I have been unsuccessful in using a 4% vinegar in bathrooms for soap scales removal.
Old 29th November 2017, 17:56   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Thanks Condor.

Just cabinets and wood work for now. No false ceiling and default paint is fine for now. Guess it should take around 2.5 - 3 lakhs for the basic requirements I have.

I plan on getting this done within 2 weeks give or take a few days, while I stay in the current rented house. Not sure if the time is enough.
Please don't get me wrong. Your questions are still very vague. There are lot of factors to consider before you can get an idea on how much it would cost or how much time it would take. For example, if you are going for veneer against sun mica sheet, the cost would be more and even the time taken. And before even we get into this, what is the dimension for the cabinets and wardrobes? There are other similar factors to be considered.
So, I suggest you to get in touch with either a local carpenter (if you know) or an agency kind of thing.
Old 29th November 2017, 18:14   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Condor.

If you tight on schedule, get it done with factory. Colleague got his new apartment kitchen furnished for 1.6 L (his apartment is near Bommanahalli, kitchen size 10X8). Due to his budget constraints he couldn't do bedrooms. The quote for bedrooms was under 3L. They took 2 weeks from start to finish. He Got it done from Killer interiors. They do most work at factory and fitting on site needed 3 days.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 29th November 2017 at 18:26.
Old 29th November 2017, 20:22   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Will need more time. Painting can be done after the wood-work & not before that.

It will be faster if you have the design in hand. The more clear your plans & requirements are, the faster they can complete. And carpenters like it that way. They can complete it faster & move to next one.

Is this in Bangalore ?
Old 30th November 2017, 08:55   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Please don't get me wrong. Your questions are still very vague. There are lot of factors to consider before you can get an idea on how much it would cost or how much time it would take.
I actually didn't realize until now that there are so many parameters that go in to deciding the cost / quality etc. Best to let the better half take over this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If you tight on schedule, get it done with factory. Colleague got his new apartment kitchen furnished for 1.6 L (his apartment is near Bommanahalli, kitchen size 10X8). Due to his budget constraints he couldn't do bedrooms. The quote for bedrooms was under 3L. They took 2 weeks from start to finish. He Got it done from Killer interiors. They do most work at factory and fitting on site needed 3 days.
Thanks for the info. Will check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Will need more time. Painting can be done after the wood-work & not before that.

It will be faster if you have the design in hand. The more clear your plans & requirements are, the faster they can complete. And carpenters like it that way. They can complete it faster & move to next one.

Is this in Bangalore ?
Thanks for the tip. A trip to our freindly neighbourhood carpenter should help get things into shape.

Yes in Bangalore. Near Metro Cash and Carry, Hosur Road.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:40   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Any specific concentration (as %) of Vinegar? I have been unsuccessful in using a 4% vinegar in bathrooms for soap scales removal.
I used the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in my earlier car. Now I use ordinary synthetic Vinegar in my bath room. It is not as effective as ACV but the cost is cheaper.
Old 30th November 2017, 16:59   #656
BHPian

Any suggestions on how to effectively clean the huge glass doors in balconies? It is becoming a big pain to clean the huge surface using Colin and other similar glass cleaning liquids, and then wipe using a dry cloth.
Old 30th November 2017, 18:00   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Any suggestions on how to effectively clean the huge glass doors in balconies? It is becoming a big pain to clean the huge surface using Colin and other similar glass cleaning liquids, and then wipe using a dry cloth.
Colin with cloth is fine for small glass areas like table tops where there may be grease accumulation, but laborious and not so great for glass doors and windows.

The best method is to use wet newspaper followed by dry newspaper. Normal newsprint (not the glossy pages) are extremely porous, so they wipe the glass perfectly.
Old 6th December 2017, 19:07   #658
BANNED

Water Tank

We might have to replace the overhead water tank with a new one. The current ones are almost 20 years old. The capacity is 1500L.

Now the confusion is choosing the colour of the water tank. Black or White? I have heard white permits light through and allows algae growth. On the flipside in our hot weather white reflects a lot of heat and thus may prevent degradation of plastic.

Which one do we choose? Sintex or any other better quality brands?
Old 6th December 2017, 19:42   #659
Team-BHP Support

Re: Water Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
.....Black or White? I have heard white permits light through and allows algae growth. On the flipside in our hot weather white reflects a lot of heat and thus may prevent degradation of plastic....
Check this out, I believe it addresses your concerns.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:29   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Guys, does anybody have experience of using acoustic foam in a room?

In my house I have made a small office (6 feet x 8 feet). The room is U shaped with the entrance of the U closed with a glass door. It is small, but cosy. Now when I take a call from this room, others on the call are complaining about the echo in the room. It appears that since the room is quite small, the sound is resonating within the room.

I was looking up online and it appears that there is acoustic foam available that absorbs the resonating sound. They are used in recording studios, etc. But I guess should server my purpose. Any thoughts/pointers please?
For preventing echo first try putting some heavy cotton curtains in the room that should absorb most of the reflected sounds but some woolen carpet or darri ( cotton carpet) on floor. If this does not work

You can line the walls with soft-board / Particle board keeping around 1 inch gap between wall and the panel and cover with cloth cladding this is common solution used in theaters and office cubicles. Any carpenter should be able to do it.
In addition put some heavy curtains, porous particle board and cloth are good sound absorption material.

Beware of Thermocol / Styrofoam it is highly flammable and when it burns emits poisonous gases.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th December 2017 at 21:36.

Most Viewed