Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2006, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

about the hockey team - just watch the PHL telecast on ESPN every evening and you will realise the quality of play - so shoddy and pathetic. maan i just have to change the channel !
Old 24th January 2006, 17:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Indian hockey has gone pathetic. Dhyan Chand will be cursing these guys from his grave, going by the way these people play. India is nowhere in contention in hockey. It is loosing consistently whereas relatively new teams like South Korea, Argentina, etc are doing good.

It is not entirely true that sportsmen other than cricketers are not getting their dues. Whoever performs well are certainly getting enough publicity and endorsements. Case in example being Rajavardhan Singh Rathore and Sania Mirza.
Old 24th January 2006, 18:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Physically challenging: I'm not sure you can compare running up and down a basketball court or a football field to standing on a cricket ground. And very rarely is it that we have players fielding a full five days. F1 is not just about neck muscles. Any crash in F1 is potentially life threatening, and many lives have been lost. The only cricketer who died on field was Raman Lamba, and I'm not sure if he was wearing a helmet. Looking at the most unfit F1/Man U player and the most unfit test cricketer would be a nice comparison.

Steeroid: I never said I was any good at cricket. In fact, my knees go unsteady facing anything more than a docile medium-pacer. No one is denying there is a lot of skill involved. But I think the hoopla surrounding the men in blue is at the expense of other sportsmen.

I still feel that India can produce world class hockey players. We produce chess champions (well, one) because the only rating that counts is the ELO system. There is no Indian body to muck around.

I still find it amusing that Nisha Millet has to teach swimming as a coach to support herself, while Parthiv Patel is worth crores. And let's not forget the Indian teams that actually won the World Cup, the deaf-mute and the women's team.
Old 24th January 2006, 18:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Physically challenging: I'm not sure you can compare running up and down a basketball court or a football field to standing on a cricket ground. And very rarely is it that we have players fielding a full five days. F1 is not just about neck muscles. Any crash in F1 is potentially life threatening, and many lives have been lost. The only cricketer who died on field was Raman Lamba, and I'm not sure if he was wearing a helmet. Looking at the most unfit F1/Man U player and the most unfit test cricketer would be a nice comparison.
hey, its very difficult to make any meaningful comparison among different sports. Each and every sport requires different set of physical requirements. I guess it would be equally difficult for beckam to play a test match as it for sachin to play a football match. maybe we dont see the physical exhaustion in cricket often as we do in basket ball or foot ball, but its equally tough to hold the concentration for days/hours together as demanded by cricket.

there are lot of other sport like gymnastics which require lots of physical training and concentration but still economic benefits does not commensurate with the physical effort. so we cannot take the arguement on those lines.

Quote:
I still find it amusing that Nisha Millet has to teach swimming as a coach to support herself, while Parthiv Patel is worth crores. And let's not forget the Indian teams that actually won the World Cup, the deaf-mute and the women's team.
any corporate spending huge amounts of money would look at the advertising mileage that they could get from the personality. economically, parthiv would make more sense than nisha....
Old 24th January 2006, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Talking about hockey, check out the 2006 Predictions for Sports by Rajneesh Kapoor:
2006 Sports Predictions

Overhyped or not, its high time the team got a proper wicket keeper who is a batsman as well (not the other way round as it was with Dravid). Besides, people like Dhoni and Afridi only can make Test matches interesting... even if u know from day 1 that its gonna end in a draw.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 24th January 2006, 18:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I know it's not a real comparison. But IMHO, and a very large H, cricket is rather easier than rugby or basketball or motorsport.

Sure, corporates get more mileage outta cricket, mainly because the janta loves cricket. No one is denying there is a reason to it. Just it still strikes me as unfair. But hell, life ain't fair...
Old 24th January 2006, 18:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Dhoni has a typical non indian attitude to whatever he does....
He is a different personality in looks as well long hair, broad chested, fearless and very confident to take on the world....
I quiet do not understand this. 'non indian attitude' statement. you mean to say Indians are afraid, tremble in front of opposition or lack confidence... please mind before you generalize... the indian attitude, as defined by you may be true for you... but I very much disagree...
Old 24th January 2006, 19:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

v1p3r, I do connect to what you are saying. I do not agree though to your contentions like cricket requires the least fitness level. No, believe me, running across the court or even a football field for a 90 minute game is nothing when compared to the standing and occassional running with a burst of speed for 5 continuous days. It is strainous... very very strainous.

And talking about who is worth paying how much, well lets say that those who play cricket found out the one game that pays them the most here. Tomorrow a few smarter ones may just discover that it pays even better if they can play golf or tennis at the international levels. In fact quite a good nos. have already found that out and are working at it relentlessly. I was amazed to know that Bhupathi's annual earnings last year from just playing Tennis (not his other business or endorsements) ran into multiple crores! Thats more than what most cricketers make. And he is no where near to be a true international player in ratings.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:07   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The money has nothing do with the physical effort or skill involved. It all depends on what sells, what has demand, how much people are ready to pay, etc. In our cricket crazy nation, anybody who gets into national team hits a jackpot. But if you are an international athlete in a less popular sport, you better have a day job. In the 80s, almost all our national cricketers had day jobs. Their fortunes changed because of TV broadcast and ad revenue.

The construction workers obviously put more physical effort and have more physical skills when compared to software engineers. Does that mean they should be making as much or more than software engineers? It depends, if construction workers were in real short supply...
Old 24th January 2006, 19:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to disappoint Zappo, but Mahesh Bhupathi was ranked world no 1 in both men's doubles and mixed doubles. He has also won, if I'm not mistaken, all the Grand Slam tournaments.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint Zappo, but Mahesh Bhupathi was ranked world no 1 in both men's doubles and mixed doubles. He has also won, if I'm not mistaken, all the Grand Slam tournaments.
Mahesh Bhupathi wasnt ranked no 1 in mens doubles during last year... i dont know about mixed doubles.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:45   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ok guys cut the arguments .. What each of u said does hold true to a certain extent .. And coming to the point of fitness , yes cricket is a game that doesnt require the kind of flexing muscles that u do in hockey , football , basketball etc ..

If u watch closely , say tomorrow just try and count the number of times a fielder at long on , long off , shrt mid-wicket etc catch a ball or run behind it .. Hardly 20-30 times a day ( which is not tiring at all ) .. One must realise that cricket is a mental game as well as a physical game ( specially for the batsmen , bowlers and wicket keeper ) .. It has its own pros and cons ..

I have played cricket for both the state and was selected for the nationals under 18 too and have played football for the state too .. And trust me, its far more difficult to stand on a football field ( yes for that 90 minutes ) than on a cricket field though u are at it the whole day .. This is from my personal experience ..

There is a lot more to cricket behind the scenes than that thats shown on TV .. I know u guys have seen this , but do u think every fielder stands and fields the whole day .. Nope all of them take a break and head into the dressing room atleast 4 times a day , thats a good break of 10-15 mins or so ... Do u know that every bowler after a spell of heads to the dressing room again .. That way i appreciate the efforts of a wicket keeper who has to stand and keep the whole day.. Not to mention that they are supplied with unlimited supply of energy drinks and what not ..

I state again that cricket isnt THAT PHYSICAL a game , but added to that the mental toughness that it requires is what is appreciable ..
Old 24th January 2006, 19:58   #28
BANNED

Hey, It seems everybody has deviated from the original thread here. Taking it back to Dhoni's antics -- his style of batting is totally unconventional and no batting coach will teach that kind of style but ' WHO THE HELL CARES ' as long as he keeps hammering those towering 6's and 4's of the likes of Akthar and Co ... I might get stoned for making this statement but if you look closely at the ' MASTER BLASTER ' while he's batting and u'll notice that he's just not there anymore .. The angle his bat comes down, the follow through , etc -- He needs to put in some consistent performances or else very soon he might have to follow the ' BENGAL TIGER ' ( not with disgrace though ) !!!

As for as getting paid for standing there ... hell its the corporates money and its their choice who they chose to pay their money to !! Deserving or Not is a totally different question ??? Its where their money will get maximum coverage that drives them .and sadly or luckily thats cricket as of now, cud change in the future but who knows !! The only way is to go out and watch your local teams play it out but we don't ... so if there is no keen interest at grass root levels in other games by teh public then obviously the money won't come ...

Motorsports world wide has a huge line of sponsors but in India motorsports is struggling to stay afloat -- whatever the reasons maybe !! I don't intend to start a debate here so just enjoy the MEN IN BLUE till they kicking ass coz as they start to lose all of us are ready to kick theirs ..

KEEP IT UP TEAM INDIA !!!

Cheers
Old 24th January 2006, 20:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
delirious as i am - i still think these wickets are flat and slow aiding his hooking and pulling, i will be perfectly satisfied when dhoni takes on brett lee on the bouncy wickets of australia or a ntini in S africa and wins the battle there too.....till then im enjoying the pakis get back what they had gave us during the 80's.
Nope dont agree....Such comparisions are typically made by the White Media to look down upon Sub-continental Players..

Gilchrist & Ponting had no clue about spin when then 1st came to India - remember Turbonator !! - that doesnt take away the fact that they are great players.

Shane Warne not taking wickets in India - doesnt take away the achievement from him - that he is the best in the world !
Old 24th January 2006, 21:01   #30
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
i will be perfectly satisfied when dhoni takes on brett lee on the bouncy wickets of australia
Yeah yeah Brett Lee vs Dhoni at WACA Ground, Perth that should me more interesting.
Or Dhoni vs Warne, he might hit him few sixes which whole country will boast about but then ... every leg spinner is not Kaneria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
There is a lot more to cricket behind the scenes than that thats shown on TV .. I know u guys have seen this , but do u think every fielder stands and fields the whole day .. Nope all of them take a break and head into the dressing room atleast 4 times a day , thats a good break of 10-15 mins or so ... Do u know that every bowler after a spell of heads to the dressing room again .. That way i appreciate the efforts of a wicket keeper who has to stand and keep the whole day.. Not to mention that they are supplied with unlimited supply of energy drinks and what not ..

Yea gotto leave the ground for a leak out and as they cant join in the middle of the over so it takes 10 mins.
And as far as supplying drink is concerned, you said you played at state level and must be knowing that it is indeed very difficult to bowl in such temperatures (im talking bout India) so I dont think theres anything wrong in it.
Its sad that batsmen cant take a break while batting so after a over where he ran few quick singles signals the dressing room for liquid.

Most Viewed