Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 13:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881
Not sure if I think the Bolero is seriously jinxed. The reliability is not compromised
Just quoting 2 lines of your reply.This should probably help to clear your doubts to some extent atleast.
If you are not getting this urge to buy anew car, IMO you should keep the bolero. Look at the positives,35.5K kms in 21 months and no major niggles. How good is that ,isn't it ?
Just give your car a good wash and take it to a temple of your choice for a pooja and your peace of mind.That will help.
You know,my father met with many a accident on his LML Vespa 150, the scooter always took major damage while my father never suffered any major injury.That scooter is still with us.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:12   #17
BHPian

re: To sell or not to sell - '09 Bolero with 3 accidents

Rohit: I undestand your dilemma and I know how difficult it is let go of the addiction called Bolero coz I own one and even am planning to change:

Reasons for not changing it:
1. Complete piece of mind
2. Go anywhere
3. Ease of Maintenance
4. Safe (Yes, it is and I have my own reasons to justify that this really is safe.)

Reasons for changing it:

1. Poor and hopeless brakes after 70kmph
2. No Defogger, no fresh air intake

Braking is the major reason am considering the change, else this a vehicle which you cant let go off so easily. Trust me no other vehicle gives this kind of satisfaction.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:51   #18
BHPian

Re: To sell or not to sell - '09 Bolero with 3 accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
...What I would do?: Give her a nice makeover. Maybe a nice seats, or an ICE upgrade, or nice shoes, and start loving her even more...
Now, that is a neat idea! I had half a mind to give it the Lambo stripe on the bonnet anyway. May be I will do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...The thing about the Bolero, for all its worth...

But back at the parking slot. Get off the car. A look at it and the heart goes. Nay, this is still the one.
That is just it. The Bolero wants to keep going. I drove a Hyundai Verna 1.5 petrol for a couple of years. Bought brand new. That car was a complete lemon. Everytime I think of selling the Bolero, I think of the Verna. What are the chances that the new car I buy will be as well put together as the Bolero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
...Look at the positives,35.5K kms in 21 months and no major niggles. How good is that ,isn't it ?
Just give your car a good wash and take it to a temple of your choice for a pooja and your peace of mind.That will help...
True that. She still runs like a dream. No rattles, no hums. She has been on the toughest roads known to man in the toughest driving conditions. The only limiting factor for the Bolero seems to be the driver for the car can go anywhere. The driver may be beaten by the elements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
...1. Poor and hopeless brakes after 70kmph
2. No Defogger, no fresh air intake

Braking is the major reason am considering the change, else this a vehicle which you cant let go off so easily. Trust me no other vehicle gives this kind of satisfaction.
Lack of an HVAC is my number one grouse with this vehicle. For a vehicle that cost me 6.72 lacs on road in 2009, it is unpardonable to not have HVAC. Yet, I don't miss the HVAC so much. On those high Himalayan passes where one needs HVAC the most, it is the superb third gear which comes to the rescue. Lack of HVAC means I have to keep the windows rolled down a touch when using the heater. But the gorgeous third gear means I can drive the car almost like an Auto box car on those ghats.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ok, Rohit here is my take.

You have had 3 incidents with the Bolero. You are not sure about the vehicle being jinxed or not but it certainly lingers at the back of the mind somewhere. You would like to have a go anywhere vehicle. And you'll have about 1.5 Lakhs spare as cash for down payment if you sell this car and foreclose the loan.

So why not sell the existing Bolero and buy the soon to be launched Bolero which will have many more features than the existing lot.

Think about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

But personally I would like a fast big diesel. The VLX came that inches close to be acquired and then the reliability issues cropping up all over. One dude here changed his whole chassis. My heart would bleed if I had to do that to my ride.
He he I guess you were talking about me. Well it wasn't only the Chassis
Old 16th May 2011, 17:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

well think about it like this- The accidents were to happen (even if you believe in destiny or not), why not think that your Bolero is your lucky charm that no matter however much the nature wants you to be in an accident, you always escape unhurt!!

But then again, if the "inception" has happened Mahindra is successful in having sold another extra vehicle for nothing!
Old 16th May 2011, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

So why not sell the existing Bolero and buy the soon to be launched Bolero which will have many more features than the existing lot.

Think about it!

He he I guess you were talking about me. Well it wasn't only the Chassis
Yes Rohit the new Bolero expected in July , but it is only 75Bhp . Also heard that there would not be major changes to the New Bolero except for few minor changes to the interiors (Again no ABS or any other modern safety things).

Otherwise consider buying Scorpio Sle You get better engine, plus safety (ABS), better ergonomics and better HVAC. Maybe you can keep the Scorpio for say about 7-8yrs before selling it off.

You get all with Scorpio for few lakhs more except the Bolero factor

CHeers,
Rajesh
Old 16th May 2011, 17:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
...So why not sell the existing Bolero and buy the soon to be launched Bolero which will have many more features than the existing lot...
Does not fit my budget. 1.5 lac down payment means I have to take a loan of 6.5 lacs or thereabouts. The EMI would cross 10,000 which is my current EMI. Cannot afford higher EMI than that.

@2500cc: At the peril of sounding like a parrot, I don't care much about the under powered engine or the lack of ABS. It is the absence HVAC which gets on my nerves. And yes, I too have my own reasons to justify that it is a safe car despite not having any safety aids.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:09   #23
BHPian

So, after weeks of thought and hours of mental battles I have come to a decision. In hindsight, it was always going to be the only decision. The Bolero is staying .

She has been with me through hell and high water and has looked after me every time. I got the pooja done and we have now decided to renew our love affair. It is a love story going strong for 2 years with many more years of togetherness to come, a love story spanning 36000 km with thousands more around the corner. She is a darling, always was, always will be.

Like all darlings, she needs some pampering. Hence calling for suggestions. My budget is a measly Rs. 5000. I am thinking of getting fogs fitted. What else can I do in the budget? Perhaps give her the Lambo stripes on the bonnet. Black seat covers, may be? Paint all the claddings yellow? Let your ideas pour in!

On a slightly more urgent note, I have finally decide to christen her. 'Black Beauty' is one name that comes to mind. Not very innovative, but describes her perfectly. Naming suggestions also welcome!
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 13:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rohit congratulations!! Appreciate your decision!!
So you got it back from the Service station? Hope everything's fine with the car now.
And am glad that you are retaining your work horse and even renewing your love affair with it .
A seat cover for Bolero might just cost a little over 5000/- bucks is my guess.
How much would the Hella's cost?
Fog lamps is a good idea though or may be a good handsfree kit or something that can increase the incabin experience.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 13:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Like all darlings, she needs some pampering. Hence calling for suggestions. My budget is a measly Rs. 5000. I am thinking of getting fogs fitted. What else can I do in the budget? Perhaps give her the Lambo stripes on the bonnet. Black seat covers, may be? Paint all the claddings yellow? Let your ideas pour in!
That was a very good decision of keeping it for some more years. If you are even remotely superstitious, I recommend you get a nice pooja done and always tie the lemons in front to keep it safe from future incidents.

In Rs.5000, you can get only the following :-

Fog Lamps : Rs.2000-Rs.2500 ( depending on where you buy)

Art Leather Covers : Rs. 4500

So you may have to up your budget by a couple of grand.

Quote:
On a slightly more urgent note, I have finally decide to christen her. 'Black Beauty' is one name that comes to mind. Not very innovative, but describes her perfectly. Naming suggestions also welcome!
Black Beauty for a Bolero is too docile. Isnt the name supposed to bring out its aggressive character? How about :-

Black Fiend
Black Monster
Black Pathfinder
Black Roadroller
Black Angel ( incase you think she is actually a docile one..)
Black Trailblazer

Good luck in christening her
Old 6th June 2011, 13:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Black Beauty for a Bolero is too docile. Isnt the name supposed to bring out its aggressive character?
How about Black Mamba?

Thanks for the advice on seat covers and fogs. Will probably make those additions in stages, as and when Vitamin M is available.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, after weeks of thought and hours of mental battles I have come to a decision. In hindsight, it was always going to be the only decision. The Bolero is staying .

She has been with me through hell and high water and has looked after me every time. I got the pooja done and we have now decided to renew our love affair. It is a love story going strong for 2 years with many more years of togetherness to come, a love story spanning 36000 km with thousands more around the corner. She is a darling, always was, always will be.

Even though I don't agree with your decision because of the reasons already given to you over chat, I still wish you all the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

In Rs.5000, you can get only the following :-

Fog Lamps : Rs.2000-Rs.2500 ( depending on where you buy)
Bolero fog lamps are very cheap. I had got them fitted at Pitsop for 1.2K including installation but when I needed to replace them, Prabhu had got them for 800 bucks.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:14   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about Black Mamba?
That name is already taken up by Traveloholic who calls his black santro that. Check his signature.

Now with MC's update. I reckon you can get both fog lamps and the seat covers done in 5K.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Heart wins, eh!

How about Dark Knight?
Old 6th June 2011, 15:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Heart wins, eh!

How about Dark Knight?
Now that I super like! 'The Dark Knight'. Has a sinister and evil ring to it.

Most Viewed