Team-BHP - To sell or not to sell - '09 Bolero with 3 accidents
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   To sell or not to sell - '09 Bolero with 3 accidents (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/101242-sell-not-sell-09-bolero-3-accidents.html)

This is the classical battle between heart and mind. I own a Bolero SLX 2WD since August 2009. The car has clocked 35,350 km till date and has been with me on numerous trips - Ladakh, Patna, Jog Falls, Ooty, weekend getaways in Andhra Pradesh, etc. I love the car. She is a mountain goat in the true sense of it. Has always gone where I wanted her to go, has always cranked on when I wanted it to.

But she has this habit of getting into accidents. In my 21 months of ownership, there have been 3 decently major accidents. No harm has come to body or soul of her passengers. The repair bills have added up to over INR 1,30,000. Insurance has covered most of it, but that point is moot.

Now the mind says to sell the car off. The heart does not wish to let go. The best I can hope for this car is INR 4,50,000. It will take me INR 3,00,000 to clear off the outstanding loan, leaving me with INR 1,50,000. It makes for good math. But math has no soul. Good math would never have recommended I do a Hyderabad-Ladakh-Hyderabad road trip. Good math is never fun.

What do I do? Suggestions please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer1881 (Post 2352988)
But she has this habit of getting into accidents. In my 21 months of ownership, there have been 3 decently major accidents.

What do I do? Suggestions please!

I suggest you stop blaming the poor Bolero for the accidents, first of all :D

I dont think there is a car in the market yet that is accident proof!

Hey! Why are you selling the car? Couldn't really make out from your post. Is it sentimentally (because of the accidents)?

From what you described it's always worked fine mechanically and you really like the bolero! So, what is the reason for sale?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 2353000)
I suggest you stop blaming the poor Bolero for the accidents, first of all :D

I dont think there is a car in the market yet that is accident proof!

Not blaming the car at all. In fact, if I had been in a small car I am pretty sure the first crash would have killed me. But we are Indians. We believe in the stars and the planets. And try hard as a non-believer like me may, people around you succeed in putting notions in your head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anekho (Post 2353001)
Hey! Why are you selling the car? Couldn't really make out from your post. Is it sentimentally (because of the accidents)?

From what you described it's always worked fine mechanically and you really like the bolero! So, what is the reason for sale?

That's the thing. I am not sure if being in another car would have prevented any of those accidents. It is just that 3 accidents in 21 months is a very high rate. I suppose I am trying anything I can to avoid them.

Rohit,is the recent major accident cause of your dilemna?
Is 130,000/- the total cost of repair from all the accidents?
IMO you should not sell the bolero until and unless you seriously think that it is jinxed or if you think that it's reliability has been compromised due to the accidents. You can probably also analyse if all the accidents have been due to the driver's fault or it was just plain bad luck.
And I doubt if the maths of foreclosing the loan will work in your favor!!!
Think over the issue real hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer1881
That's the thing. I am not sure if being in another car would have prevented any of those accidents. It is just that 3 accidents in 21 months is a very high rate. I suppose I am trying anything I can to avoid them.

Ok, I see what you mean now.

Think of it this way - there is no proof that any other car would have protected you more ( safety features aside) or less. Perhaps the damage would have been more if you were in another car?

Thinking in hindsight often only leads to more confusion. Done is done, try to move on with a clear mind! If the mishaps were due to your driving improve in those areas and try to be more alert.

But when comes down to it, if you've started feeling uncomfortable in the car with all these thoughts there is no point keeping the car. I mean, if you're worried and uncomfortable with driving the car your concentration might lapse and might lead to more dents and dings.

So rationally don't sell but sentimentally (I guess?) sell.

Wish you go with your heart. Why blame the Bolero for the accident, guess that is fate.
Think again before you come to a conclusion on selling it off.

Cheers!

Bolero brakes are bad.
It might help, if you describe the accidents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordmanchau (Post 2353029)
Rohit,is the recent major accident cause of your dilemna?
Is 130,000/- the total cost of repair from all the accidents?
IMO you should not sell the bolero until and unless you seriously think that it is jinxed or if you think that it's reliability has been compromised due to the accidents. You can probably also analyse if all the accidents have been due to the driver's fault or it was just plain bad luck.
And I doubt if the maths of foreclosing the loan will work in your favor!!!
Think over the issue real hard.

Yep, the recent one is the cause of my dilemma. Come to think of it, the first one was probably 70% my fault. The second one was bad luck. And in the third, my wife simply phased out for a split second while driving. This could happen in any car.

Not sure if I think the Bolero is seriously jinxed. I am not a believer in the supernatural or the paranormal. The reliability is not compromised - only body has suffered damage in all instances, the chassis, engine, gearbox, suspension, etc. are all fine.

With foreclosure, I will have to pay about 3,00,000. 1,30,000 is the total cost of repairs of all three accidents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer1881 (Post 2352988)
... The repair bills have added up to over INR 1,30,000....
.... What do I do? Suggestions please!

Three major accidents and a bill of ~1,30,000?. Ie, ~40,000/accident?. Now that isnt major at all, considering a vehicle of bolero's size.

Well, some people think that there are certain 'jinxed' vehicles which keep sucking money outta its owner. Buuutttttt!!!!... cmon man, what year is this?. Moreover, even thinking anything similar is a grave sin, considering an enthusiast.

What I would do?: Give her a nice makeover. Maybe a nice seats, or an ICE upgrade, or nice shoes, and start loving her even more. And yes, start driving MORE alertly and safely. Well, as long as she isnt a lemon, you dont even need to think of it. :)

If you feel that these accidents are due to the vehicle, you can do many a things rather than selling it off. My first bike (way back in 2002) was scratched all over the tank and body by apartment kids on the second day! In the first week the battery was stolen! And in a month i met with an accident. Then my parents got me to do a puja for the vehicle shanti (so that all untoward things can be avoided). Since then nothing major has happened. The bike is still with me to this day.

Another way of looking at it is you drive alot and very often, so the probability of getting into an accident is higher.

Dont have a negative feeling towards your ride, you will end up associating all incidents to it. If you cant get over that feeling then better sell the vehicle.

Another Bolero owner with the same problem??

There are many of you bro.

For me, its 8 years on, 1.4 lakh kilometers. Runs like a dream (ok a bit of smoke). Have turned down this urge to buy a new car like maybe 40 billion times.

No accidents to date. Not even minor one's.

So obsessed that I am worried to let the engine be touched. Just incase I loose that feeling of it being not what it was. And give it away.

But personally I would like a fast big diesel. The VLX came that inches close to be acquired and then the reliability issues cropping up all over. One dude here changed his whole chassis. My heart would bleed if I had to do that to my ride.

The thing about the Bolero, for all its worth. It just keeps going, on and on. Every single day. I see the Scorpio's, the Endeavours, the Fortuners, the Pajero's, etc. And the heart yearns for one.

But back at the parking slot. Get off the car. A look at it and the heart goes. Nay, this is still the one.

3 accidents in 21 months. But what you forgot is the amount of driving you have done on the beast. I see a lot of long trips on this machine. More you are on Highways more are the chances of accidents. Its as simple as that. And accidents happen due to human errors.

My 2 cents:
I understand why you would want to sell (If I were in your situation I would sell). The reason here is that if there is a doubt or niggle in my (or my family's) mind then it is better that I start on a fresh slate rather than keep anticipating that something untoward will happen. It is not the car in itself, just that you would not be looking over your shoulder everytime you drive it.
But what if you (God forbid) have the same experience with your new car; would you sell it too? I think the answer to this second question will eventually answer your first question too.

Having said so, I am sure you will take the experiences from your accidents and ensure these are not repeated in whatever car you drive (current or new).

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.