Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 23:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Celebrating the girl child

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Congrats supremebaleno and may you have a sweet, healthy child come August. Secretly hoping it's a girl too
Thanks, man. And I also hope it is a girl. BTW, there is one member in the family who fervently wishes it is not a girl. That is Aman, who is at an age when he hates girls (I know that will change). It took us quite some time & effort to make him understand that we cannot choose, but be content with what gender we get. He accepted that, but in his mind it is still a boy and he has already named the kid as Appu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine
So it doesn't matter if one is literate or not, if there is a bias against girl child at home, it will stay like that unless there is a conscious effort.
So true. My colleague's Dad is against girls, for some wierd reason. He just cannot imagine his grandchild to be a girl - it has to be a boy. While my colleague did not face issues since his kid was a boy, his brother's wife is expecting their 1st kid and if it turns out to be a girl, it is going to be bad. And this Dad in question is educated and employed in a premier Central Govt organisation.

And I had a colleague who used to say, "Why would somebody even want to have a baby girl?". Funnily enough, he was blessed with a girl and now he is ga-ga over the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
That should be so exciting. August is so near. Congratulations!
Thanks. It indeed is near - can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Just for information, my last name is mom’s family name. Traditionally that was the way, but nowadays a lot them prefer to keep dad’s name as the last name.
Interestingly the colleague I mentioned about earlier (whose Dad just can't imagine having a girl in the family), has both his Dad's and Mom's names as part of his name.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
his brother's wife is expecting their 1st kid and if it turns out to be a girl ...
Guess what, she gave birth to a baby girl yesterday. Hopefully this bundle of joy will help change Grandpa's viewpoint.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Guess what, she gave birth to a baby girl yesterday. Hopefully this bundle of joy will help change Grandpa's viewpoint.
or grandpa's son will change it for him - nothing infuriates parents more than somebody making faces at their kids.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai-uno-t View Post
just as an addition, here's where some more of the girls have gone to:

Baby girls turned into 'boys' in sex swap operations | Metro.co.uk

now for £2000 a throw, we aren't really talking poor folk here are we? this is the "educated, middle classes", the engine room of the new india, progress?dreaming of space, whilst still hauling a bullock cart.

I can't even begin to convey my disgust.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanyd1711 View Post
Heys guys,

I came across this news in DNA newspaper (Mumbai Edition), may be last week. The news that Indore is fastly becoming hub for SEX change operations. The city doctors must have performed (read: transformed) atleast 100-150 infant girls to boys. The news in paper claimed that after transformation...the newly 'produced' will have all 'features' of BOY and there will be no signs of any feminism.

Wait...story does not end here....Medical experts have voiced diff opinions.

Printed in todays DNA edition...'BOYS ARE BOYS, GIRLS ARE GIRLS'

Read this link....DNA E-Paper - Daily News & Analysis -Mumbai,Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, India
When I first read this, being a paediatric surgeon myself, I found it hard to believe.
And then comes the confirmation that it is the irresponsible media exagerrating and twisting facts.
The Hindu : Opinion / Op-Ed : Turning baby girls into boys? The scoop that wasn't

These surgeries are done for babies who are born with defective genitalia or ambiguous genitalia or what are called Intersex. These are done after exhaustive counselling sessions for the parents.
By surgery, no normal girl can be converted to a normal boy. It is impossible to create by surgery what nature has created.
Deep Blue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 12:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
When I first read this, being a paediatric surgeon myself, I found it hard to believe.
And then comes the confirmation that it is the irresponsible media exagerrating and twisting facts.
The Hindu : Opinion / Op-Ed : Turning baby girls into boys? The scoop that wasn't

These surgeries are done for babies who are born with defective genitalia or ambiguous genitalia or what are called Intersex. These are done after exhaustive counselling sessions for the parents.
By surgery, no normal girl can be converted to a normal boy. It is impossible to create by surgery what nature has created.

you don't have to be a doctor to see that this is utter non sense. how the hell would surgery create ovaries or testicles in the babies - the "features" that make a male a male and a female a female.

Media sensationalism at its most despicable depth.

Last edited by vina : 20th July 2011 at 12:35.
vina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 16:12   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Those poor "Indore doctors" got a bad rap for no reason. The editor's reaction is disgusting "We never said the females operated on were perfectly healthy babies".

Rags like the HT and ToI are the reason for the rot settling into our media.

Onto more happier topics, member anilisanil is now the proud father of a little girl. Mazel tov!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 10:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also hope it is a girl. BTW, there is one member in the family who fervently wishes it is not a girl. That is Aman
Finally Aman's wish was granted - we welcomed a baby boy into the family last Monday. Aman is super excited - as per him "Now I have someone to play cricket with".

Quote:
... but in his mind it is still a boy and he has already named the kid as Appu.
Since me and wifey were almost sure its going to be a girl, we never bothered to look up boy-names. So, for now we are calling the baby Appu, till we come up with a formal name.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:54   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally Aman's wish was granted - we welcomed a baby boy into the family last Monday. Aman is super excited - as per him "Now I have someone to play cricket with".

Since me and wifey were almost sure its going to be a girl, we never bothered to look up boy-names. So, for now we are calling the baby Appu, till we come up with a formal name.
Congratulations SB! Great news.

It’s so hard to find baby boy names right? My sister delivered a baby boy last month, and it was so difficult to fix on a name. Whereas for girls, I have a database of preferred names
Old 30th August 2011, 11:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, vb-san.

Indeed it is tough - we are scouring the tbhp member-database for names. With girl names, I guess it is easy because we can lean back on all the girls we had crushes on in school/college etc. :-)
Old 30th August 2011, 12:06   #70
BHPian

The ultrasound has become the most maligned piece of medical equipment with the knee jerk reaction of the central and state governments to the Supreme Court ruling and strictures. The Act itself was badly framed and amazingly the rules which clarified the mess came in very recently. Till then the Babus were having a field day talking utter rubbish.Just look at the stupid forms to be filled in and notices to be stuck all around if the doctor has a USG machine.

For Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, it is as important as the stethoscope for instant non invasive diagnosis on a real time basis. The maternal mortality rate has come down dramatically because of these aids to diagnosis.

True, there are medical practioners and lay people who misuse the machines for doing abortion. It has also been said that some even abort male foetuses to make money and no one will be the wiser. If the government is serious, they can close down these establishments very fast - more will of course spring up. New tests to determine the sex of the unborn from the maternal blood sample are coming up too.

As for me, I am happy for the young TBHPians to cherish their young daughters as much as their sons. I have two sons 22y & 13y and I am waiting for them to bring home instant daughters we longed for. What we managed to teach them are values.

Meanwhile keep posting photos of your cute infants
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 18:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations supremeBaleno on the new arrival in your family.

Reminds me of the time when we were expecting the youngest one in the family. An initial US scan indicated it to be a girl. We happily shopped for all pink stuff. By the time the last scan was done and the doctor informed us it was a boy, we had no choice but to decide to clad him in pink stuff for the 1st few months, frocks et al.

Enjoy the baby.
Old 30th August 2011, 18:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wow! So happy so see so many BHP-ians who are happy to have daughters.

Congrats supremeBaleno!

When my wife was carrying our first child, I was hoping that it would be a girl. By around the 7th month, I was sure in my mind that it's going to be a girl. I even named "her" - and always used to call the baby by "her" name, until - indeed - SHE was born.

Now, we are expecting our 2nd child (due in Jan '12). And I still find myself looking at more baby girl names than boy names My daughter, though, wants a baby brother. My wife is ok with either, but maybe prefers a boy just a little bit because our first child is a girl (and probably also because she herself has 2 younger brothers).
Old 30th August 2011, 23:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
... It has also been said that some even abort male foetuses to make money and no one will be the wiser. ...

a GE engineer once told me that several clinics that routinely do this have technicians who have no clue what they are doing. Male fetuses are aborted in such cases because the technician had not idea.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:12   #74
Team-BHP Support

I cannot think of a good caption.
But you will know, how I feel.

Celebrating the girl child-love.jpg
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 23:30   #75
BHPian

Indian/South Asian societies are extremely sexually repressed. Hence the cause for such silly practices.

There is a direct co-relation between sexual repression and female infanticide.

Most Viewed