No-116/C-1, 5th Block,
KBH Colony, Koramangala, Bangalore-560095
Tel: 080-41104304/05/06
Open: 10.30AM - 8.00PM
Closed on Monday

FURTADOS MUSIC INDIA
Old 12th February 2009, 00:11   #47
BHPian

Dubai Shopping Festival 2009 is going on in Dubai and i will be reaching there on the last day of the festival. Does anyone has any idea if there is any musical instrument outlet there or not where i can purchase a good electric guitar for myself at a discounted price as they give discounts during the festival. Any ideas ?? anybody?? I just wanna go there prepared. Thannks.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:09   #48
BHPian

Hi All - whats a good shop in bangy to buy a beginner electric

I posted my original query on the other thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/17990-guitar-thread-post-all-queries-tabs-info-here-post1172101.html#post1172101) but I guess this thread is more active and has more ppl on it, so re-posting it here

"Hi All - I plan to start learning some guitar - primarily inspired by a lot of rock i listen to and the occasional john mayer live stuff. My luck with learning guitars has not been so good, as I started learning twice and shifted with 10-15 days to a different city. It has been 4 years now, since my last attempt and I gave the heavily out of tune giVson (not gibson!!) a shot, but somehow got frustrated as acoustics take a lot of work. I do know that electrics are easier for beginners and keep you motivated as results come out faster. Also with work taking priority, i plan to learn myself and mostly play some songs i like

Need suggestions on buying a good beginner electric - something which I can just go and pickup from the store as I am not sure if I can try out guitars (have zero skills ) Is the yamaha pacifica 012 or 112 a good first choice or should I look at something like the ibanez 170dx. Also i am guessing I need an amp (marshall?). What would this setup cost me?

Whats a good store in bangy - reynolds I keep hearing a lot about?

TIA for any advice."

Last edited by jassi : 14th February 2009 at 22:10.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Have an Ibanez GRG 220 DEX. The pickups could be better but it's fine for a newbie. Cost me around 15k. If you don't want to spend on an amp, you could buy a pre-amp, connect it to your guitar and your PC and use software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. It'll give you hundreds of effects and allow you to simulate different amps and pedals for a tiny percent of what you'd have to spend on the real stuff.

While not the real thing, it's pretty good for newbies and you can even load setups of professional guitarists.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Have an Ibanez GRG 220 DEX. The pickups could be better but it's fine for a newbie. Cost me around 15k. If you don't want to spend on an amp, you could buy a pre-amp, connect it to your guitar and your PC and use software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. It'll give you hundreds of effects and allow you to simulate different amps and pedals for a tiny percent of what you'd have to spend on the real stuff.

While not the real thing, it's pretty good for newbies and you can even load setups of professional guitarists.
thanks for the quick advice
i was searching on bajaao.com just to do a price check - grg 270 is 18.9k and 170dx is 14.6k - not sure if these are in the same range as grg 220 dex
Also the pre-amp idea is something I have toyed with - but i dont have a full fledged PC, just have a company laptop (ibm x61s) which has a headphone out and mic-in. So do i connect the pre-amp to the mic-in, will that work and do I need any additional software to start with.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it's in that range, give or take a couple of grands. You don't need a workstation to do this, you can do it on your laptop (not sure if an ultraportable is up for the task though). Just download and install ASIO drivers for low-latency and try out the free version of amplitube. You'll need a line-in preferably, though you could try the mic-in port. Not sure about that.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it's in that range, give or take a couple of grands. You don't need a workstation to do this, you can do it on your laptop (not sure if an ultraportable is up for the task though). Just download and install ASIO drivers for low-latency and try out the free version of amplitube. You'll need a line-in preferably, though you could try the mic-in port. Not sure about that.
thanks will download that - is the pre-amp something which is readily available in guitar stores and how much would it cost ? do i need a pre-amp hardware with asio4all (i downloaded that) or just some cable (6.3mm to 3.5mm)

a friend recommended a greg bennett avion 3 for 15k - any ideas on that ?

Last edited by jassi : 15th February 2009 at 00:22.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:44   #53
BHPian

maybe I can just get the VOX AC 30 amplug and connect it to line-in (headphone-in 3.5mm) of my HT or mic-in of laptop
Vox Amplug Compact Headphone Guitar Amplifier with Distortion -
Old 15th February 2009, 09:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Should be available at almost all guitar stores for around 2-2.5k. And that is what I've been using
Old 15th February 2009, 10:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Should be available at almost all guitar stores for around 2-2.5k. And that is what I've been using
you mean the vox amplug ac30? is that what you have been using? also for a clean sound i am guessing ac30 is better than classic rock and metal versions, right?

I have installed the asio4all drivers. Is amplitube necessary or can use some free software. I checked the amplitube2 site and its a 10 day demo only, after which time it will start emitting some irritating sound at random intervals
AmpliTube 2

All - Now for the guitar, given my beginner status, any more inputs - For less than 15k, I am now thinking between greg bennett avion av3 vs ibanez 170dx (or the slightly over my budget grg 270 dex)

@anupmathur - I will need the vox amplug right? Mic in is 3.5mm and guitar is 1/4th" and I see the vox amplug is the easiest way to do that conversion - or is there some other cable I need

Last edited by jassi : 15th February 2009 at 10:26.
Old 15th February 2009, 10:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
- is the pre-amp something which is readily available in guitar stores and how much would it cost ?
Jassi, if you plan to plug your electric guitar into the mic input, you'll not need the pre-amp. Try it out first before buying the preamp.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All - whats a good shop in bangy to buy a beginner electric
Furtados (Koramangala)
Soundglitz (Brigade Road)
Reynolds (Brigade Road, Rajaji Nagar)
Yamaha Music Square (Indira Nagar)
Rhythms (Residency Road)
Shiva Musicals (Benson Town)
N. Lewis (Koramangala)

Quote:
"Hi All - I plan to start learning some guitar - primarily inspired by a lot of rock i listen to and the occasional john mayer live stuff. ........... but somehow got frustrated as acoustics take a lot of work. I do know that electrics are easier for beginners and keep you motivated as results come out faster. Also with work taking priority, i plan to learn myself and mostly play some songs i like

Need suggestions on buying a good beginner electric - something which I can just go and pickup from the store as I am not sure if I can try out guitars (have zero skills ) Is the yamaha pacifica 012 or 112 a good first choice or should I look at something like the ibanez 170dx. Also i am guessing I need an amp (marshall?). What would this setup cost me?
"
Jassi, you're right. An acoustic guitar can be frustrating at times. But it can be very rewarding, once you learn it. Electric guitar can make you feel good with all those effects etc, but its NOT everything. You still need to play MUSIC (not just effects)
BTW, if you need ONLY A BEGINNER electric, you should get one below 5K.
Get a small 10W practice amp below 5K (Laney, Marshall, Hartke, Kustom Sound etc)

Glad you mentioned John Mayer. Although i couldn't see the songs you mentioned here, i sincerely wish they're not the Done to Death songs like "Smoke On the Water".
(...runs for cover)

Go make some music. Good Luck!

Last edited by Torqy : 16th February 2009 at 11:29.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
An acoustic guitar can be frustrating at times. But it can be very rewarding, once you learn it. Electric guitar can make you feel good with all those effects etc, but its NOT everything. You still need to play MUSIC (not just effects)

Quote:
I do know that electrics are easier for beginners and keep you motivated as results come out faster.
Actually, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand this. What makes electrics easier or results to come out faster?

This is quite incorrect, IMO.
The first requirement is to learn the chords and be able to change from one to another quickly. This is purely a function of practice. How does an acoustic or electric guitar make any difference to this learning?
Old 16th February 2009, 12:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Actually, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand this. What makes electrics easier or results to come out faster?

The first requirement is to learn the chords and be able to change from one to another quickly. This is purely a function of practice. How does an acoustic or electric guitar make any difference to this learning?
As I am no expert, I had to read plenty of articles and here is one excerpt
Learning Guitar - Which is Better - Acoustic or Electric
I don't plan to skip the basics and chords, progression, etc. - well maybe if i am bored, I will try and play some tab music (atleast till i master basic chords).
Do note that my experience has only been with acoustic guitars and with the inability to attend any major classes (ended up moving cities each time i joined a class) I ended up trying at home by myself and there were barely any results. Maybe the strings are lighter or the action is easier in electric - as long as i get quicker results and stay motivated, I am ok with it
Now I could be all wrong with all this internet researching and am ready to hear the same - but nonetheless I want to buy a good learners guitar and given that I already have a not so good acoustic (givson goes out of tune every other day) might as well get a good starter electric (hoping to get a greg bennett av3 for 13k-ish). Maybe a new guitar is the motivation I need, after all I am gadget freak

torqy - I used to listen to metallica and rhcp and that kind of stuff - these days with increasing traffic and angry people on roads, I decided to listen to some calm stuff and am continuously listening to everything from john mayer - his first album "inside wants out" to latest concert "where the light is" !! Must say I am inspired to first try and play his stuff and second (one day when i can) put my own spin onto it :-)

Last edited by jassi : 16th February 2009 at 12:20.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

I didn't say it makes a difference to his learning. I was just warning him NOT to get carried away by the EFFECTS (in the beginning at least). Thats why i mentioned he still needs to play MUSIC.

Electrics with those easy to play fretboard and sensitive pickups can make guitar playing easier compared to an acoustic.

Most Viewed