Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 01:09   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Take it easy when you play on weekend. When I started playing 4 years back I used to get this sort of should pain. Later upon continuous playing 6 days a week the muscles got used to the movements. No pain since then.
Thanks KPR, all good points and dos for me, will try to put them in practice.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th March 2020 at 03:29. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:45   #287
Team-BHP Support

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Gentlemen and Ladies, what is the best way to introduce badminton to a 9-year-old who's never held a racquet before.

- Which racquet to buy?
- How do you start teaching?
- Coaching?
Old 1st March 2021, 21:10   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Gentlemen and Ladies, what is the best way to introduce badminton to a 9-year-old who's never held a racquet before.

- Which racquet to buy?
- Coaching?
Don’t know if I qualify to comment but these are my observations after playing this wonderful game for long.

1. Start with a basic racquet which is not to expensive and with the size recommended for his/her preference. Starting with smaller sized racquets help in developing a beginner’s game better.

2. Usually playing without a net is the first step. Middling the shuttle is the primary aim here. Rest of the things can gradually develop and according to the interest shown.

3. Coaching is a good idea only when the child develops an affinity for the game. Most of the times, children don’t know what is their game preference regarding sports.

In my time, I used to play with Silver’s racquet and then graduated later to Yonex. These days practise shuttles come in various hues and one can surely start with the plastic ones with normal heads. See whether the child shows interest in playing the game, showing him matches and videos will also tell you whether the child enjoys or not.

Badminton is a wonderful game and should be encouraged wholeheartedly. I hope the 9 year old find’s the game interesting, will surely look forward to hear the progress going forward.

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 1st March 2021 at 21:11.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 21:39   #289
BHPian

Quote:

- Which racquet to buy?
- Coaching?

Equipment - To begin with, pick up a couple of Yonex ZR 100 Light rackets and a Mavis 200i shuttle Box. Both should cost you less than 2k. As the kid progresses you can move on to the Muscle Power Lite, Nanoray or Carbonex range of rackets for Intermediate game play along with the Mavis 350 shuttle. If you have the slightest indication that the kid will take to the sport regularly you can straight away invest in the Muscle Power 29 Lite (around 2k). It's a great all round racket for beginners and intermediate players

Place - I am not sure which part of Delhi you are in but there are about 14 DDA spots complexes in Delhi, most well maintained & most offer a pay per use option as well at reasonable rates. As the routine develops you can opt for a membership, although some of these complexes have a waiting for years

Coaching - Most of the sports complexes mentioned above have monthly coaching in the range of 4-10k/month
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 21:45   #290
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, I am in Dwarka and all of us are members of the DDA Sports Complex. I'll find out.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:51   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Which racquet to buy?
- Coaching?

Any racquet that fits into your budget would do as the idea is first to get the child interested in the game and to make the child stick to the game.So any racquet would serve the purpose. Just a plastic toy racquet to begin with would also be absolutely fine.

Just make sure you get them a proper non-marking sports shoes,an entry level one would just be fine (again something that fits your budget).The shoes is the only non-negotiable bit in the whole game when you start off as well as when you reach your advance level.Never compromise on the shoes(you could buy a cheap racquet,play with plastic shuttles all that is fine but never on the shoes)

Even if you dont have access to a court you could just start off in a porch or your corridor,anywhere.

Ideally getting them to do 10 wall shots would be good,but the flip side is they would lose interest, so maybe an incentive like a chocolate or anything that would drive them would be good.The best way is to start playing with them (either with a friend or even you yourself-if you are even averagely good you could do a few knocks-this is only to generate the interest not for the game improvement).For the game,start throwing a few shuttles onto them and get them to connect to the shuttles,with time the connections would improve and you would see their clearances getting better and better (this can only be done when you throw shuttles at them and not if use your racquet)

There are upteen coaches around,though ,coaching in my personal opinion is not recommended till the age of 10-11.In fact BAI (badminton assocn of India)themselves have removed the u-11 tourneys as the coaches and parents were putting on undue pressure on the kids.The tourneys now begin at U-13 level (instead of reducing stress,the pressure is more now because now the parents and coaches are getting the 9yo and 10yo kids to compete with the 13yo!how much ever we say we are not the types to get sucked into the rat race, once you let the child go into the hands of a coach, the crazy rat race picks up even without your knowledge.

If you can get a club level coach who can just knock around and see if your child is indeed interested in it, then that would be ideal and once he or she develops the game and the physique the child can be moved into a competitive level coach.

All the best to your child and you never know, you just might have a prodigy in your hands!
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 21:32   #292
BHPian

Re: nobody follows badminton here?

Upcoming Indian badminton player Lakshya Sen enters All England Open Badminton Championships final! What an accomplishment from the 20 year old. Hope his golden run continues.

Old 15th May 2022, 16:39   #293
BHPian

India defeat Indonesia to clinch Thomas Cup and create history!

News Link
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 17:45   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
India defeat Indonesia to clinch Thomas Cup and create history!

News Link
Till just a decade or so ago, I would hope for India to somehow qualify regularly for the main draw of Thomas and Uber cup. Never ever in my wildest dreams had I thought that we would be champions. What an achievement! Right up there amongst the greatest sporting triumphs of this country.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 00:13   #295
BHPian

Rarely, perhaps once in a few decades, does a moment come when time stands sublimely still for an Indian. You reach a pinnacle that , well, even hours after the event, you can't believe it and you can't get your breath back.

It happened one day in the summer of 1983. It has happened again today. How on earth can even the most casual follower of the sport go to sleep tonight.

Stunning. What a day. What a team. Bravo.
Secretariat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 09:03   #296

Hey guys, this thread have been silent for a while now. Just wanted to know if there are any people who play badminton on a daily basis ? If they do

- How much tension and the string you use ?
- Which racquet are you using ?
Old 14th June 2022, 11:49   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityakommuru View Post
Hey guys, this thread have been silent for a while now. Just wanted to know if there are any people who play badminton on a daily basis ? If they do

I have started playing badminton from last 2 months. Started with yonex Nanoray light 18i and recently moved to
Astrox 99 play(Rs 3100) which I feel is slightly better than Nanoray.

Both are running on default string. Coach has advised to go for 24 tension for beginners.
shashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 12:11   #298
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityakommuru View Post

1. Yonex BG65 at 26 as standard
2. MP29 lite/light is what I keep as must racquet in my bag. Perfect for Mavis 350s. Rest are all like trials. Now I'm back to my original Carbonex 8000 plus . Smashes are landing correctly to my satisfaction with carbonex 8000 plus. I'm surprised too. One more bat in my bag is a Korean racquet with a name that I never bothered to look into. One expert friend gave me for ₹3000 4 years back. This Korean bat can take upto 28-30 tension. Once I had kept at 29-30 and I was raining sixers on those days hitting cork out of park.

BTW one box of Mavis 350 has gone upto ₹999 in amazon.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:52   #299

I play badminton in an indoor stadium everyday and here are my views.

1)I have tried and tested a couple of strings like lining no 7 and Yonex BG65 and have played with Mavis nylon shuttles and feather shuttles of almost 6 to 7 brands

- Would say Yonex BG65 is definitely durable compared to lining and 26 is something where anyone who can decently middle the shuttle can start with and can increase according to his game.

2) Racquets used

- Carbonex 8000 plus ( weighs 87gms ) but a good one to start with priced at 2.5k
- Lining airforce 77 G2 ( weighs 77 gms ) a head heavy light weight racquet and is a perfect one to move after having a decent acquaintance with the game and is priced at 2.8k after disc
- Lining g force 3700 ( weighs 78 GM's ) my current one which I extensively use. A head heavy light weight racquet which is a almost perfect one priced at 2.5k after disc

All the above racquets are budget friendly and offer the best value for money. Yonex racquets are always on the heavier side of 85 plus gms which may suit only for a set of players who use brute power to smash and attacking style of the game.
Old 15th June 2022, 10:40   #300
BHPian

Have joined my 9 YO daughter to an academy for Badminton coaching and the trainer there preferred us to get a good racket which is light weight and good construction and strings and also a non marking shoes.

Any suggestions on brands/ shops at South Bangalore for these two, not going overboard with the budget. Alternatively, would it be better just going to Decathlon and picking up?

I was told that a more than a decent racket might come in the range of 1.3k to 1.8k and shoes also in the similar range.

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks