Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 16:27   #166
BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Nanospeed is somewhere close to 8K and change as far as as i remember (One month old price), Voltric Z Force was 11K, when i bought.

These days i am consistently doing weights, will see in a months time if its helping.
Thanks for providing the updated prices. GOOGLE listed them as the prices which could be MRP too

One of the things that I found is that doing core exercises has really improved my endurance especially in singles.

Some of them that I do if you would be interested

Plank and Slide Plank , V Sit ,Cross Over Crunch , Hip Bridge, Single Leg Bridge Exercise and Back extension

Cheers
Old 15th August 2012, 12:08   #167
BHPian

There is a tournament in Reliance with entry fee of Rs.500 for doubles and Rs.300 for singles any one interested
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-580027_4040015611989_1203046252_n.jpg  

Last edited by raj.barcode : 15th August 2012 at 12:10.
Old 9th December 2012, 12:36   #168
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mayank.
I recently broke my Muscle power 29 , i think it was because of the tension used when i changed the strings to BG65 and put the tension to 24, i think 22 or 23 should have been fine.
Anyways my other racket is Nanospeed 850 which i picked up few days before my MP 29 broke.

I m on look out for a new racket,so wanted some advise on which racket to go for.
After using MP 29 for quite sometime i was very comfortable with that and now when i use the nano speed , im not quite able to hit the shuttle with the same power which i was able to do with MP 29 , but the back hand shot has surely improved with nanospeed.

Any racket which you will suggest,something in the range of 3-4k .

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:51   #169
BHPian

Hi Mayank,

Excellent thread. Rate 5*. Very well elaborated.

Your tips on racket selection/playing techniques / exercises / pain relief techniques etc has helped immensely.

I am a beginner and started of a year back just to keep fit without actually going into the proper methods and techniques. But I guess now I should implement the tips provided by you to play CORRECT...

Thanks again.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:15   #170
Senior - BHPian

The 1st Hyderabad Open Doubles Challenge is going to be held.Details in the flyer.Last Dates have been extended till 1st of Feb,2013.
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-hydopen.jpg  

Old 20th March 2013, 12:26   #171
Senior - BHPian

2013 Chennai Open(Non-Medalist)

Details of the 2013 Chennai Open to be held on 23rd & 24th Mar,2013
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-cb.jpg  

Old 20th March 2013, 12:28   #172
Senior - BHPian

Thwack Racquets

Does anyone here have any experience with the grooved handled Thwack racquets-how good or bad are they afterall?
Old 17th May 2013, 15:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

MCF Open @ Borivali(BOM)

Mandapeshwar Civic Facilities is organising the MCF Silver Jubilee open badminton tournament under the auspices of Mumbai Suburban District Badminton Association 24th May to June 1st.Entries to be sent to mcfborivali@gmail.com

For further information, please contact Vijay Joshi (8097847679) or Deep Udeshi (9004402405)
Old 7th August 2013, 10:47   #174
Senior - BHPian

Independence Day Badminton Tournament-Bangalore(Plastic shuttle)
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-blr.jpg  

Old 18th August 2013, 11:16   #175
BHPian

Guys-have any of you checked out or used XLR8 indoor stadium on the Hennur Baglur road?

They claim to have good badminton courts.

Let me know am contemplating taking a membership there.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:48   #176
Senior - BHPian

@arepalli99, are you a member of this club and if yes what are the charges.

BTW - I just went to this URL http://www.xlr8india.com/merchandise.php

and this does not talk about badminton court. Are you sure they have badminton court.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:47   #177
BHPian

Hi everyone

I have been playing badminton indoors on-and-off at Siri Fort CWG stadium in Delhi for around 2 years now. It goes like 2 months of play every weekend for 2-3 hours followed by 4 months of no-play. I play mostly doubles as the courts are too costly otherwise (Rs. 350 for 40 min) and also, I do not have the stamina for an enjoyable singles match.

Before this, around 6 years back, I used to play a lot of baddy, for 5 years, in college, which had an outdoor, but closed quadrangle court.

Yet, somehow, in all these years I have never pursued it with the tenacity to win games, or to become better at it. I have always enjoyed it, and played to just chumma hit, and banter, even when in college, when we used to play 4-5 hours of badminton in the night. As a result I have never become very good at it; have always remained at the middling manageable level. For example - very delicate net play is beyond me, where both the players are attacking the net; or for example drop shots, which I hit with reasonably good accuracy, I cannot hit with deceptiveness (as in jump for a smash, but drop instead at the last moment); placement from the back court is atrocious (I end up just sending it back with all my strength, and then get smashed down - this is completely a lack of court awareness); backcourt backhands are similarly horrendous (compunded now with a carpal tunnel type wrist injury, its become an useless shot - I just leave those points now). In short, have remained very mediocre, while having played for a long number of years. Playing doubles also allows me to hide a lot of these inefficiencies.

It is very strange- because I do follow badminton intermittently, from the Taufik Hidayat days to now LCW for the last 3-4 years.

---

Anyways now to the business end - to get that twang sound from a shot, do we need to re-gut it, or is it just the kind of racket, or is it the technique? All these years I have thought it is good technique (which I thought I didn't have) which produces that sound. Recently however I realised that I have an ok technique (or at least it works to an extent for me), but I just wasn't committing hard to the shots (just being lazy). So now I am tempted to think that I should get my raquet re-gutted - it always has felt very slow with smashes (Yonex Carbonex 8); and I so want it to sound like the pros.

Last edited by manolin : 27th August 2013 at 16:50.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:01   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@arepalli99, are you a member of this club and if yes what are the charges.

BTW - I just went to this URL http://www.xlr8india.com/merchandise.php

and this does not talk about badminton court. Are you sure they have badminton court.
Mayank-I visited this place over the weekend. All that they have is a concrete court alongside 6 other multi sport courts. Not really encouraging to play.
They plan for a proper wooden/synthetic court sometime in the future. But for that you need to take membership with the club there ~2lacs or something.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Hi everyone

I have been playing badminton indoors on-and-off at Siri Fort CWG stadium in Delhi for around 2 years now. It goes like 2 months of play every weekend for 2-3 hours followed by 4 months of no-play. I play mostly doubles as the courts are too costly otherwise (Rs. 350 for 40 min) and also, I do not have the stamina for an enjoyable singles match.

Before this, around 6 years back, I used to play a lot of baddy, for 5 years, in college, which had an outdoor, but closed quadrangle court.

Yet, somehow, in all these years I have never pursued it with the tenacity to win games, or to become better at it. I have always enjoyed it, and played to just chumma hit, and banter, even when in college, when we used to play 4-5 hours of badminton in the night. As a result I have never become very good at it; have always remained at the middling manageable level. For example - very delicate net play is beyond me, where both the players are attacking the net; or for example drop shots, which I hit with reasonably good accuracy, I cannot hit with deceptiveness (as in jump for a smash, but drop instead at the last moment); placement from the back court is atrocious (I end up just sending it back with all my strength, and then get smashed down - this is completely a lack of court awareness); backcourt backhands are similarly horrendous (compunded now with a carpal tunnel type wrist injury, its become an useless shot - I just leave those points now). In short, have remained very mediocre, while having played for a long number of years. Playing doubles also allows me to hide a lot of these inefficiencies.

It is very strange- because I do follow badminton intermittently, from the Taufik Hidayat days to now LCW for the last 3-4 years.

---

Anyways now to the business end - to get that twang sound from a shot, do we need to re-gut it, or is it just the kind of racket, or is it the technique? All these years I have thought it is good technique (which I thought I didn't have) which produces that sound. Recently however I realised that I have an ok technique (or at least it works to an extent for me), but I just wasn't committing hard to the shots (just being lazy). So now I am tempted to think that I should get my raquet re-gutted - it always has felt very slow with smashes (Yonex Carbonex 8); and I so want it to sound like the pros.
The twang sound has got to do with the air circulation in the court you play in.Has nothing to do with the strings.if its a big place with 8-10courts the sound would be less pronounced as against a place with just a single or two courts.Also the height of the roof also makes a difference in the sound.Higher the roof and wider the court,more the air circulation and slower the shuttle.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:13   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The twang sound has got to do with the air circulation in the court you play in.Has nothing to do with the strings.if its a big place with 8-10courts the sound would be less pronounced as against a place with just a single or two courts.Also the height of the roof also makes a difference in the sound.Higher the roof and wider the court,more the air circulation and slower the shuttle.
Oh! no wonder! because I have watched shuttlers' play at the SAI centre of excellence inside B'lore university, and the sound used to much more impressive than at now at Siri - Siri is huge compared to SAI.

But one less reason to upgrade.

There is one thing for sure - no upwardly mobile guy around 30 and living in Delhi is lacking for equipment - almost everyone i meet seems to have the all rackets - squash, baddy, tennis, TT (full racketlon suite basically), gum sole shoes, running shoes, football studs - all of which is put in the boot of their huge cars. Along with the mandatory Gold's/Talwarkars/Fitness First membership

Most Viewed