Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 15:32   #211
BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Thanks for your prompt revert

I just spoke to Chand Sports in Bandra and they said Yonex range starts from 1k odd and go on to 13k if I heard him right.

Planning to go there today itself; unfortunately there is nothing available in the northern suburbs (Mira Road / Thane). I will be looking at Yonex SCS/Power Cushion and will also try Li Ning and Asics if available.
Old 14th January 2014, 15:45   #212
BHPian

You can try metro cst. Shoes are cheapest there. There is no shoe for 13k. Most expensive for now is shb 01 ltd yellow . For 8300.. Or around tht. Scs 5 is top end in scs series for 5-6k. Just try few, buy what u feel are right for you! :-)
Old 14th January 2014, 16:03   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
Hi, All were beginners at one point of time. so welcome aboard buddy.
Look, two things are very very important in this game and dont and I mean really dont overlook them.
1) Good pair of shoes
2)Good warm up session.

1) Invest in shoes more than racket.
Couldn't agree more on the shoes. I used to be a user of Yonex shoes till I picked up a ASIC's indoor court shoes. And trust me the cushioning is out of this world !!

ASIC's GEL Domain 2 shoes are good if you are looking at a budget of 5k (NOTE : There is a good sale going on in Jabong where you get 31% discount).

But if you want nothing but the best for shoes then ASIC GEL SENSEI 4 is what you should look at.

For racquets - I swear upon Voltric series as I play singles and doubles. I carry my 2 nos. of Voltric 9's with BG 65 Ti

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 14th January 2014 at 16:11.
Old 14th January 2014, 16:15   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Couldn't agree more on the shoes. I used to be a user of Yonex shoes till I picked up a ASIC's indoor court shoes. And trust me the cushioning is out of this world !! ASIC's GEL Domain 2 shoes are good if you are looking at a budget of 5k (NOTE : There is a good sale going on in Jabong where you get 31% discount). But if you want nothing but the best for shoes then ASIC GEL SENSEI 4 is what you should look at. For racquets - I swear upon Voltric series as I play singles and doubles. I carry my 2 nos. of Voltric 9's with BG 65 Ti Cheers
Voltrics series.. Solid punch . LCW in the making :-))..
Agreed about shoes .
Old 14th January 2014, 18:48   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ASIC's GEL Domain 2 shoes are good if you are looking at a budget of 5k (NOTE : There is a good sale going on in Jabong where you get 31% discount).
I cant see that link,can you paste it here please.

Quote:
Voltrics series.. Solid punch . LCW in the making :-))..
Agreed about shoes .
Agree on the punch,spot on KB.Voltric for sure.I have a APACS Virtuoso now,surprisingly I find it good.The shaft is really flexible,and yes very easy on the pocket the APACS.Yonex has begun to believe that everyone who plays badminton is a millionaire!APACS I find is a refreshing change.Its a Malaysian thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post

Had been to Decathalon, Thane and they had this brand called Artengo (French Flagship Company); all their products are inhouse; here is the link http://www.decathlon.in/FOOTWEAR-ARTENGO-BS-720-MALE

Have a look and let me know if they are good; I am also looking out for Li ning and lets see; will end up buying a pair by Saturday; do you know any place where I can just walk in and pick them up.
Please stay as far away as possibe from those Artengos in Decathlon-pure and unadulterated rubbish!Fully agree with KB on that.

Quote:
Decathlon godbunder road has good collection for Trekkers . Dint find anything tht is worthy of badminton or any other racket sport.
They have a good collection of cycles and cycling related gear as well.

Quote:
Planning to go there today itself; unfortunately there is nothing available in the northern suburbs (Mira Road / Thane). I will be looking at Yonex SCS/Power Cushion and will also try Li Ning and Asics if available.
There are plenty of shops in Borivali-Champion,Total,Yogi etc and all of them have decent enough stocks of Yonex and Linings.But ofcourse if you want selection nothing like Metro,the whole place is filled with sports shops.

Quote:
You can try metro cst. Shoes are cheapest there. There is no shoe for 13k. Most expensive for now is shb 01 ltd yellow . For 8300.. Or around tht. Scs 5 is top end in scs series for 5-6k. Just try few, buy what u feel are right for you! :-)
I fully agree with you on the shoe part.If you are a real good and hard badminton player,irrespective of what one buys,I really dont see the shoes lasting beyond 6mnths at the maximum(atleast thats the period of time it lasts for me)and the shoes are not getting any cheaper by the day:(.My SC5 has been abused so much that its time for me to scout around for another one.

Badminton is definitely a drain on the personal economy of Indians!!!
Old 14th January 2014, 19:04   #216
BHPian

Add to tht shockingly high shuttlecock prices, don't know abt you guys but I can't afford feathers , keep playing with those Mavis and Cosco unless there is a tournament coming up.
Old 14th January 2014, 21:37   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I cant see that link,can you paste it here please.
@ranjitp here you go !!

This is the one which is good
http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Domain-2...es-485506.html

While this one is just out of the world
http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Gel-Sens...es-485505.html

Happy shopping !! If you have anyone returning from US you can definitely get it lot more cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GEL-SENS...s+gel+sensei+4

It fits so snug that you should wear it to experience it.

Cheers
Old 14th January 2014, 22:01   #218
BHPian

Quote:
@ranjitp here you go !! This is the one which is good http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Domain-2...es-485506.html While this one is just out of the world http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Gel-Sens...es-485505.html Happy shopping !! If you have anyone returning from US you can definitely get it lot more cheaper http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GEL-SENS...s+gel+sensei+4 It fits so snug that you should wear it to experience it.
Cheers
Very important info . Thank you. I ll try these out.
Guys, a small tip: if you want to check out asics, keep tab on any running event in your town as asics has a stall in it. You can get shoes at discounted prices too. Example : mumbai marathon is next weekend so if anyone can check exhibition which starts 3 days prior to event, can get some benefits .
Old 14th January 2014, 22:26   #219
BHPian

hi all
long time since i viewed this thread.been playing non-stop for the past two years,6days in aweek ,all doubles..latest injury is to the ankle now.pains more when i get up in the morning .so i decided to go for new shoes,something pocket friendly.ended up buying "nivea indoor court shoes" from flipkart.very sturdy and is soft for the ankles and it costs only 1800rs.
@mayank,ranjitls suggest a racquet that weighs 81-85 gms within a budget of 4000 max.i now own li-ning 690 (wt 79-81gms) and asaway T5(wt 75 gms).found a good deal in olx for asaway vtc 67(wt 85gms) and voltric 7.are used racquets dependable.thx for the suggestions.
Old 14th January 2014, 22:43   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
hi all long time since i viewed this thread.been playing non-stop for the past two years,6days in aweek ,all doubles..latest injury is to the ankle now.pains more when i get up in the morning .so i decided to go for new shoes,something pocket friendly.ended up buying "nivea indoor court shoes" from flipkart.very sturdy and is soft for the ankles and it costs only 1800rs. @mayank,ranjitls suggest a racquet that weighs 81-85 gms within a budget of 4000 max.i now own li-ning 690 (wt 79-81gms) and asaway T5(wt 75 gms).found a good deal in olx for asaway vtc 67(wt 85gms) and voltric 7.are used racquets dependable.thx for the suggestions.
Nivea and Artengo are similar in performance.. Sorry bro, none have power cushion .
Regarding racket, need to tell more than tht. You are talking about 3u and 4u rackets for doubles. So look for more repulsion and med flex , headlight and bigger sweet spot. U ll get lining UC series. If u can push your budget to 5k , you ll get excellent rackets for control- arcsaber series yonex.
Again you need to be specific bro. Are you hard hitter or net player. U ll control or more aggressive player etc etc.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:53   #221
BHPian

Quote:
@ranjitp here you go !!

This is the one which is good
http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Domain-2...es-485506.html

While this one is just out of the world
http://www.jabong.com/Asics-Gel-Sens...es-485505.html

Happy shopping !! If you have anyone returning from US you can definitely get it lot more cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-GEL-SENS...s+gel+sensei+4

It fits so snug that you should wear it to experience it.

Cheers

Thanks CS

Just looked at the prices; Asics Domain 2 Blue on Jabong cost less than on the Amazon site; so maybe I should look at Jabong only.

So my options right now are between Yonex, Li Ning & Asics; dont we have any more options?

Will visit Borivali shops and check prices for these shoes over the weekend.

Also one more query; am using my Yonex Carbonate after over 7 years; should I look at regutting the same or just let it be?

KB/ Ranjit - it would be great if you could list down a few - Warm up and Cool down exercises also highlighting for how much time they should be done?

My case -
a) I try and get up by 6.30 am and do stretching/pulling (freehand) and push ups for about 10/15 mins or so;
b) wear my shoes, shorts, knee gaurd, (image enclosed - bought them from decathalon, as my knees have give me a bit of a pain), pick my racquet and head to the court by about 7-7.15 am
c) try to play atleast 4 games (doubles) which are done by 8-8.15.
d) Run back home as soon as I am done, get ready for office and head out of home by 8.30-8.40 (so very little time to cool down).

I ride alongwith a colleague to office on his bike; but I do wear a sweatshirt / pull over in the morning to office

So I guess I do get some warm up / heart beat going but no cool down at all.

Do note that I am playing as a hobbyist and would love to develop my skills and play at a better court (preferably indoors) but due to paucity of time and distance am trying to get some hitting time and bit of a exercise.

Most of you have either played serious stuff and are experts - am sure you will ignore stupid queries and accommodate a 'noob' like me!
Attached Thumbnails
The right way to play Badminton-knee-gaurd.jpg  

Last edited by saildrive : 15th January 2014 at 11:56.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:41   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CS

Just looked at the prices; Asics Domain 2 Blue on Jabong cost less than on the Amazon site; so maybe I should look at Jabong only.

KB/ Ranjit - it would be great if you could list down a few - Warm up and Cool down exercises also highlighting for how much time they should be done?
Your warm up routine looks ok. A few jumping jacks which shoulder rotation can help too.

Cool down - Must and the key part is stretch,

Cobra pose or Bhujangasana , Adho Mukhswanasan or Inverted V position, Paschimotanasan are a few

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/fin...ries/backbends

The link show case some good stretches in the form of yoga.

If you really want quick stretches try lying quad stretch, pretzel stretch , hamstring stretch, pretzel stretch are good

For knee pain strengthening exercise are key.

Quick google helped with this

http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/k...exercises.html

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 15th January 2014 at 13:54.
Old 16th January 2014, 19:16   #223
BHPian

Warm up depends on your body really. Have seen players do some basic skipping for 2 min and some shuttle toss and are good to go. There is no fix warmup unless u r in some academy having a full session or regime.
I personally have 2 km jog and some shoulder movements and leg stretches and m good to go for doubles.
When I have singles match I am more precise. Jog sprints lunges followed by shadows and shuttle runs.
How to judge if you warm up and warm down is sufficient ? Should not feel stiff in shoulder and back and ankle/ hamstring area 12-24 hrs after match. Body gives you enough clues :-)
Old 16th January 2014, 21:39   #224
Senior - BHPian

Hi guyz,

I am a beginner into proper badminton. I have played badminton earlier just like every person in this world has played.

I have started practising recently. I have a few basic questions -
1> Which racquet to buy? I am thinking of Yonex Carbonex or Muscle power.. which one is better for a beginner? And also, there are so many variants in each series which makes me even more confused.
2> which exercises to do? I have decent stamina as I do jog 4-5 kms for 3-4 times/week. My question is what kind of warm up and stretching exercises to do?
3>I have developed slight pain in my elbow. I think it is due to incorrect backhand technique. Any pointers on what could be the reason and how to avoid it in future.

Thanks
Aadi

One thing I wanted to share - I am going into the Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad which has given India so many super badminton players and the good thing is that they come here often to practice. So, I get to watch players like Saina and SIndhu quite often. It;s a privilege really and amazing to watch them practice.

Last edited by adimicra : 16th January 2014 at 21:41.
Old 16th January 2014, 22:12   #225
BHPian

Wow. You go to gopichand axademy. I think coaches there ll be best people to answer all your mentioned questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks