Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:04   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The right way to play Badminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, need a help/suggestion.

We need to cover our cemented badminton court, catch is, it has to be removed for a function on almost every Sunday evening for a function or the other.

I had an ACL tear because of cemented court and while there is a wooden court, its too crowded. We can not go ahead with a permanent cover as that place is used for cooking/carrying out buffets. Will prefer something to roll [like a carpet] which can be removed and fit back in almost every week.

Please suggest.
Quote:
Guys, need a help/suggestion.

We need to cover our cemented badminton court, catch is, it has to be removed for a function on almost every Sunday evening for a function or the other.

I had an ACL tear because of cemented court and while there is a wooden court, its too crowded. We can not go ahead with a permanent cover as that place is used for cooking/carrying out buffets. Will prefer something to roll [like a carpet] which can be removed and fit back in almost every week.

Please suggest.
Firstly spreading a hova over a cement is not going to do any good,it is as good as playing on the bare cement court.The hova provides the action only when it is spread on a wooden base,the air pockets below the wooden floor are the ones that give you the bounce-back.Concrete courts have poor bounce and shock absorption.As for spreading and rolling,it definitely wont work as it is a tedious task to roll,store and then un-roll again,not to mention the gum and adhesive that needs to be applied every time it is unrolled.

So all in all,the best option would be too look for a court with a wooden floor.
Old 4th September 2018, 08:39   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
So all in all,the best option would be too look for a court with a wooden floor.
That leaves us with 3 options:

# Continue playing in the cemented court.

# Find a spot, build a court.

# Grin & bear/jostle with others at the wooden court or change your schedule so that you find an empty court.

I was looking forward for a solution for the cemented court, if any of you have, I am all ears. I am sure making a standalone court will cost some 4-5L rupees or maybe more.
Old 4th September 2018, 10:45   #273
Team-BHP Support

Anything not firmly stuck down is a huge injury risk by itself, you don't want the surface moving under your feet when you're making quick direction changes yourself.

Synthetic courts aren't as good as wood, but in your situation, would it be possible to stick it down, then use a cover when not being played on to protect the surface?
Old 4th September 2018, 12:40   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That leaves us with 3 options:

# Continue playing in the cemented court.

# Find a spot, build a court.

# Grin & bear/jostle with others at the wooden court or change your schedule so that you find an empty court.

I was looking forward for a solution for the cemented court, if any of you have, I am all ears. I am sure making a standalone court will cost some 4-5L rupees or maybe more.
If your knees can continue to take the pounding even after the ACL tear,go ahead with playing on the cement court.

You can lease an existing court,that is what is happening in most of the badminton towns and cities.You assure X amount to the owner,and then you run the court as well as play in it as well as run coaching sessions etc to recover the money as well as make money as well as play.

If you have your community hall,then break the cement flooring just enough for the court and lay wood in only that much area.During functions,cover the wooden court area with thick cloth so as to avoid scratches and dust/mud particles.After function,remove the cloth and use the court.This should be a cheaper option than building a full fledged court as you do not have to do the side walls,roofs,lights etc.It is only the wood cost and the mat cost which you would have to factor in.There are exclusive court makers who could help you with doing it.You might want to speak to Uday Sane at Uday Woodcraft who does a lot of work in this area across the country.He was also an ex-international BWF umpire/referee 098230 63110 https://www.fb.com/UdayWoodcraft
Old 5th September 2018, 16:59   #275
BHPian

About five weeks ago I got myself a annual membership for Baddy at a nearby club. Nearly two weeks back while playing and trying to hit a smash I had an excruciating pain in my right forearm and I could barely pick the racquet

Its been nearly 2+ weeks and the pain doesnt seem to wane down and also have a pain point near by elbow bone.

A few friends have stated that 'tennis elbow' has kicked in and there is no way I can get out of it.

I was also told that it will lessen if I keep playing, but there are times, when I feel the pain is unbearable. I have showed it to a few docs and taken medicine. I am not keen to take the pain killers and steroids which seem to be the short gap solutions for 'tennis elbow' issues.

Let me know what you think, as of now i am completely off Badminton :(
Old 5th September 2018, 18:18   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
About five weeks ago I got myself a annual membership for Baddy at a nearby club. Nearly two weeks back while playing and trying to hit a smash I had an excruciating pain in my right forearm and I could barely pick the racquet...
You havent mentioned what was the doctor's diagnosis.If it indeed is tennis elbow,give it a week's rest and start with the PVC Pipe procedure for the affected elbow.Just take a PVC pipe and wrap your fingers around the pipe firmly.Now slowly and strongly rotate one of the hands in the clockwise direction and at the same time get the other hand to go in the opposite direction-all the while gripping the pipe firmly and strongly.You should be able to feel the pressure on your elbow joints when you do this.This should give you immense relief and you would be back on court sooner than later.

If it is a tennis elbow,it most definitely will not lessen or go away if you play more.It will only progressively worsen.Give it a rest for a couple of days and strengthen the elbow joints and you would be good to go.If you have a physiotherapist nearby,he should be able to tell you the right strenghtening expercises.All the best and get back on court sooner than later.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2020 at 20:36. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:18   #277
Senior - BHPian

The Amateur Badminton scene in Hyderabad and hopefully more places around the country start doing similar things!

http://edexlive.com/happening/2018/o...city-4034.html
Old 18th February 2019, 13:52   #278
Senior - BHPian

Update after a long long gap.

Have moved back to Bangalore and found a decent place to train and play on Sarjapur road. Have taken the training to another level in last two months. Train for about 5 hours a week and play badminton for about 3 hours a week. Need to start back playing tournaments to measure the progress.

Some numbers that i have been tracking lately:

1. My RHR has gone down to ~48 levels (It used to be high 50s)
2. My Vo2Max has gone to 52+, it used to be around 42 earlier.
3. Elbow pain has disappeared.
4. Knees are holding up very well.

What I do in training:
1. Suicide Sprints (Different types)
2. Skipping
3. Weights
4. Leg agility, using agility ladder and cones

In terms of equipment i have mostly moved to Victor. Will post pictures of Victor racquets that I now own, apart from Yonex Voltric Z Force 2.

The right way to play Badminton-20180210_174843.jpg
Above - Flex bar for elbow repair, and ankle weights to increase leg strength

The right way to play Badminton-vlcsnap2018102609h32m50s777.png
In one of the training sessions.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2020 at 20:35. Reason: Typos.
Old 18th February 2019, 13:55   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recurring knee pain after playing Badminton for a few days. I play on a wooden court and use asics shoes.

Any tips?
Old 18th February 2019, 14:21   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have recurring knee pain after playing Badminton for a few days. I play on a wooden court and use asics shoes.

Any tips?
Check these

1. Do the shoes have cushion?
2. One of the problems i faced with my Asics is they are soft on the sides, and especially when I have to retrieve drops near the net my legs slide inside the shoes. Other brands dont have this issue. Since then i have moved to Victor. Do check if this is an issue.
3. Are you stomping your legs?
4. Does the wooden floor on the court goes down and comes back up when you press it. Basically the wodden court is supposed to have hollow space below the wooden surface such that it compresses and takes the impact of your weight etc. Some folks cut costs and lay wood on top of concerte.

If everything else looks alright, then you need to focus on your knees.

1. I would suggest stop badminton for sometime (depends on how bad is the problem). For fitness move to running, climbing stairs, skipping etc etc.
2. Start knee strenthening excersises, like Squats. Look at Fitness Blender on YouTube and they would have some routine excersises for lower body.
3. Do shuttle or racquet shadow with squats only whenever you come to the center do a sit-up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2020 at 20:33. Reason: Repositioned video URL for readability.
Old 8th September 2019, 21:46   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I am not sure how old you are.But from the symptoms that you have mentioned it looks more to be a case of wear n tear of the knee joint than anything else to do with the shoes.
It has been a year and half and things are much better now. I changed my shoes, went for some physio, and have continued to play. Have tried some knee straps on & off, but don't use them much now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd February 2020 at 20:31. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 23rd February 2020, 13:02   #282
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I need your expert advice on purchasing badminton racquets. I had visited Decathlon store but not sure how good the stuff is there. Also, I had looked online and read some reviews, professionals out there are going gaga over Yonex, Babolat, and Li-Ning. I checked out Amazon and found mixed reviews as well. Can you please let me know balanced and head heavy racquets. I had played lawn tennis and was pretty comfortable with Head racquets back then (not sure if it would help here)

PS: Advice on shuttlecocks would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks!
Old 11th March 2020, 09:25   #283
BHPian

Racquets, you'll will have to find what suits your kind of game , head heavy or even balanced heavy, light etc. My advice will be to buy a beginner or intermediate racquet and see how it goes before buying high end ones. Go for Yonex or LiNing.

For shuttles - Feather use Aerosensa 2 , Nylon use Mavis 2000 which closely replicates feather shuttles or Mavis 350 which is more commonly used in India.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:42   #284
BHPian

I have been suffering with right shoulder pain for last 6 to 8 months. However, I continued to play badminton once a week every Saturday. Recently, at my office sports day event, I tried to bowl my usual Leg-Spin and my shoulder started hurting like hell. Went to physiotherapist who suggested to stop playing badminton for 2 to 3 weeks and has put me on daily course of therapy including the vibration thingy (Interfefential therapy) and ultrasound treatment. He confirmed that my right shoulder muscle called supraspinatus has got strained. Has anybody else experienced something similar?
Old 11th March 2020, 10:37   #285
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I have been suffering with right shoulder pain for last 6 to 8 months. However, I continued to play badminton once a week every Saturday
1. Occasional playing say once a week could be a reason for pain.
2. Are you physically active (like jogging, basic drill exercises to shoulder at least for 4-5 days a week)? Else sudden movements in muscle once in a week can cause this pain too.
3. Warm up, warm down is as important as playing badminton.
4. Weight of racket. Normally a 3U rated racket is neutral. The most basic one I find is Muscle Power 29 light. I've recommended this to beginners and none has got an injury from it. Hope you've right racket with proper netting at recommended tension (ideally 24lbs to 26 lbs).

Take it easy when you play on weekend. When I started playing 4 years back I used to get this sort of should pain. Later upon continuous playing 6 days a week the muscles got used to the movements. No pain since then.

Last edited by KPR : 11th March 2020 at 10:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks