Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 00:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

George Bush declares war on oil addiction

Not sure how many of you saw/heard/read George Bush's state of the union address but I, personally, feel his comments on reducing America's dependance and addiction for oil are the first intelligent remarks from his side. America consumes the most oil in the world and if they get serious about reducing dependance then it will radically alter the way the world is working. Some quotes from his speech:

Quote:
"Tonight, I announce the Advanced Energy Initiative -- a 22 percent increase in clean energy research at the Department of Energy, to push for breakthroughs in two vital areas," Bush said. "To change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission, coal-fired plants; revolutionary solar and wind technologies; and clean, safe nuclear energy."
Quote:
We will increase our research in better batteries for hybrid and electric cars, and in pollution-free cars that run on hydrogen."
Quote:
the U.S. president unveiled a goal of reducing oil imports from the Middle East by 75 per cent by 2025.
Looks like hybrid's, battery powered, cars running on alternative energies are going to get common on the roads faster then we thought.

For more: CNN

The Toronto Star.

Last edited by amit : 2nd February 2006 at 00:52.
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Quote:
"Tonight, I announce the Advanced Energy Initiative -- a 22 percent increase in clean energy research at the Department of Energy, to push for breakthroughs in two vital areas," Bush said. "To change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission, coal-fired plants; revolutionary solar and wind technologies; and clean, safe nuclear energy."
*** are zero emission coal fired plants ? does not compute.

Georgie Chimpo actually going against big oil ? strange - georgie as an environmentalist ? - Isn't he the same idiot who wants to open up the Alaskan preserves for oil exploration ?

zaphod
Old 2nd February 2006, 11:38   #3
BHPian

I don't get this. Everyone believes that he led the attack on Iraq with a hidden agenda of exploiting their oil reserves. But then now he talks about reducing US's dependence on oil.

Me thinks that Dubyaman's pathetic attempt at getting the oil failed for some reason, and with environmentalists attacking him relentlessly on the Alaskan issue, our chimp's taking the more sensible way out and reducing this dependence.

Well... like they say, "Oil's well that ends well!"

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 2nd February 2006 at 11:45.
Old 2nd February 2006, 11:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Looks like his speech writer gave him somebody elses speech
Old 2nd February 2006, 11:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Some sort of s mix up somwhere......but then, when has Bush not made a hash of things?
Old 3rd February 2006, 05:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Some sort of s mix up somwhere......but then, when has Bush not made a hash of things?
I think Hash is the operative word here. Georgie's scriptwriter must be on some aprt from their daily intake of hot air... Maybe that's the real reason to invade Afghanistan.....Himachal Pradesh Watch Out !!! You could be next...

zaphod
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Not sure how many of you saw/heard/read George Bush's state of the union address but I, personally, feel his comments on reducing America's dependance and addiction for oil are the first intelligent remarks from his side.
I believe his address was also monumental because this was the first time an Animal was allowed into a White House speech by a president...this was the German Shephard which was honoured for some courageous act in Iraq. Perhaps that made him can his usual bark?????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks