Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 00:34   #91
BHPian

Re: Metallica in Bangalore - 30 Oct 2011: Possible TBHP Meet

Heard on TV that $200,000 worth of Metallica's equipment has been vandalized!!! If this ain't media hype, any rock band may think twice before visiting India...Would the Bangalore event be still ON?

What a major disgrace!!! A bunch of low-lives causing international shame!!!
Old 29th October 2011, 12:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher

Palace Grounds is the mecca of live music in India and mind it ticket prices are higher as well!

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers
So am I and thousands of other real fans dude.
Old 29th October 2011, 12:33   #93
BHPian

Man, it is frustrating as there is no rumors or reports regarding the Bangalore leg. People please share any info about whats happening? Bangalore is considered a safe place due to its cosmopolitan culture, hope they will make it up here.
Old 29th October 2011, 12:53   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Just watch what those retards have done

Metal Hammer » Blog Archive » VIDEO: Metallica Fans In India Vandalise Stage After Concert Postponed

Now i don't think any band would ever visit N.India any time ...I think it was nearly impossible getting Metallica play..and now these jokers have ruined that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

What a major disgrace!!! A bunch of low-lives causing international shame!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Bangalore is considered a safe place due to its cosmopolitan culture, hope they will make it up here.
Please read this ,its not entirely the crowds fault.

The Day That Should’ve Never Come on ...Clueless

Last edited by streetsdisciple : 29th October 2011 at 12:59.
Old 29th October 2011, 12:57   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsdisciple View Post
Please read this ,its not entirely the crowds fault.

The Day That Should’ve Never Come on ...Clueless
Yes I agree that it is not the crowd's fault, read this too:

~ sour canvas ~: Metallica@ Gurgaon- The real story.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 13:48   #96
BHPian

DNA have been organizing these gigs for more than a decade now in Bangalore, they have managed 30k people before. So, this is not the first time they have dealt with a
crowd.

Not sure what happened in Delhi but it's sad. I hope the Bangalore one goes on.
Old 29th October 2011, 14:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

I hope the concert here in Bangalore will be normal.

4 members of DNA event management company have been arrested for cheating public.

Metallica concert: 4 members of organising team arrested - Sports - Formula One - ibnlive
Old 29th October 2011, 14:44   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man, it is frustrating as there is no rumors or reports regarding the Bangalore leg. People please share any info about whats happening? Bangalore is considered a safe place due to its cosmopolitan culture, hope they will make it up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
DNA have been organizing these gigs for more than a decade now in Bangalore, they have managed 30k people before. So, this is not the first time they have dealt with a
crowd.

Not sure what happened in Delhi but it's sad. I hope the Bangalore one goes on.

The last line in the TOI article says they will perform in Bangalore.

Metallica concert cancelled, tickets to be refunded - The Times of India

Good (and encouraging) news for Bangalore Metallica fans.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th October 2011 at 14:51.
Old 29th October 2011, 15:29   #99
BHPian

I was there when it happened, and right now I can only fume and rant. After having reserved the tickets (the expensive- closer to the stage ones) months in advance, and buying them the moment they went on sale, this is absolute rubbish!

We were at the venue at 2 pm, knowing that the gates would open at 3. At 3, there is an announcement that the gates would open an hour later. That's fine, we'll wait- its Metallica after all. As I looked around, I noticed the lack of cops or security personnel- there weren't even parking attendants where we'd parked the car.

By now its 4 pm and the crowd has swollen to a couple of thousand atleast. When we finally managed to get inside the venue through six layers of checks each of which were pointless because only one in four tickets were being seen (its a little difficult to check tickets when you have a 10-across column of people walking in) and I had no difficultly getting my ciggies and lighter in.

So we wait some more. By now I'd like to have something to eat or drink and I realise that there's just one, yes ONE burger outlet that is supposed to cater for 30,000 people. The loos, which clearly weren't enough for so many people were already unusable.

At about this point I hear a white guy (assuming he is part of the Metallica crew, whom I will call Beavis) starts to announce that a barrier has been broken up in front and the crowd needs to move back so that they can repair it. At this point I'm looking towards the front and I'm looking for security personnel, and bouncers and police but see none of these. Undoubtedly, the barrier had been breached, with at that point a crowd of assuming already 5000 strong, all trying to get the spot closest to the stage there would be some pushing and shoving, not something unexpected. I remember a similar incident happening in the Iron Maiden concert in Bangalore 2007. One stark difference between the two crowds what I could see is that the crowd at Gurgaon seemed far more dull. People were hardly screaming, no one shouting slogans of "bring on the music", "make some noise", etc. We tried to do so but received no response from the rest of the crowd. So our impression at this point is - wow, this crowd is too well behaved (especially for Gurgaon).

The crowd is having difficulty moving back as so Beavis comes out again and announces "Hey, buttheads! If you don't move back we cannot repair the barrier and there will be no music until we are able to do so!" Seems a tad unnecessary to use such language at this point of time, but eventually with a little more coaxing from the Indian organizer, the crowd moves back. Where was the damn security to push people back?? I didn't see a single one inside the venue!

Finally at 6:30 Beavis comes out to inform everyone that "Metallica is holding a press conference right now at their hotel for National TV and media. We have had some technical issues that we have not able to resolve. So, Metallica will play for you all right here tomorrow at 4 PM". And just like that he disappears.

Now, people who have been patiently waiting since the the gates opened and even before, start getting angry. You hear shouts of "**** you", "We want Metallica", etc. The Indian organizer comes out to plead to the audience to go home, he actual says "Jaoo na? Kal Metallica bajayega" as if it is no big deal that we have been waiting for 4 hours in the sun to hear Metallica play. Now the crowd goes berserk. People start throwing bottles onto stage. They are still telling the crowd to disperse, before they run for cover as well.

Disappointed as we are we decided we might a well head out, along with most of the remaining audience. But when we reach the exits they haven't even been opened!!! At this point people have climbed onto stage and are trashing the place up and we fear a stampede. 15 minutes later we are finally outside and the chaos continues.

This isnt a case of standard North India anger/boorishness/unruly behaviour. Simply a matter of bad management. Or was it something else? As we were trying to flee the mayhem that began, I realised that it was not Lar's drum kit on the stage, there was NO EQUIPMENT. Just a couple of microphones!! No sound control console, nothing!!! This concert was already cancelled even before the gates were opened and the organizers didn’t want to have riot outside where they would be held responsible by the police for destruction of public property. The photos that Metallica have put up of the venue are nothing like what it looked like yesterday even though they are dating the photos 28th October. They are probably from the day before they dismantled most of it, before the gates opened.

Damn you DNA Networks!

And to my fellow BHPians in Bangalore (you lucky buggers, you), I wish you, from the bottom of my envious heart, all the very best.
arjyamaj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 15:53   #100
BHPian

@arjyamaj I am sorry that you folks endured much pain due to callousness of the organisers. A dog running brrsake at F1 and now this? I wonder why the organisers can't provide top class experience. It is the world class experience we need, no compromise on that whatsoever, treating us like a third world dump cannot and shouldn't be tolerated.

I won't take offence at 'Beavis', I believe foul language is part of the package, remember when peeps used to line up to drink Lar's spit(yuck). But he should have known better about our sensitivities.

I will join you to say Damn you DNA
Old 29th October 2011, 16:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

I too suspect something FISHY! No security guards? means that the cancellation was preplanned (much earlier). Too bad for such a Band and Organizers. Whatever was it Metallica must also be held responsible for this as it was their show and they must have inspected and tested all the electronics or their such called 'Technical Failure' much earlier, this is a part of every show. From this I thought if this event was cancelled even a few days ago? Cancellation could not be taken in few hours? The crowd have been duped! A cheating at such a higher level is totally undesirable.

Last edited by mercedised : 29th October 2011 at 16:24.
Old 29th October 2011, 18:23   #102
BHPian

Guys, NDTV says the gig is on! finally some assuring words from the cops themselves that they are prepared, checkout video feed of the palace grounds being prepared here
Old 29th October 2011, 23:21   #103
BHPian

Thanks for the sentiment doxinboy. Hope you guys have an awesome show and lets hope Metallica makes headlines in B'lore for the right reasons now.

Quote:
It is the world class experience we need, no compromise on that whatsoever, treating us like a third world dump cannot and shouldn't be tolerated.
Completely agree. But I have a feeling it'll be a while before we get there. The Grand Prix in Turkey and Brazil have had similar incidents of gatecrashers on the track. I'm just concerned that Mr Vettel doesnt get hauled up for running over a 'gai maata' (this is UP after all) that found a particularly tasty bit of grass on the other side of the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Whatever was it Metallica must also be held responsible for this as it was their show and they must have inspected and tested all the electronics or their such called 'Technical Failure' much earlier, this is a part of every show.
'Technical faliure' is vague enough to be passed off as anything. Thing is, the night before, I could hear them go through their soundchecks (was camped at a cousins place a few kilometers away from the venue). Starting from Hammet's high riffs to Lars' bass drum thumping away to glory- everything seemed to be in order then.

Now to wait for my refund. And they better not deduct sales tax, VAT or any such nonsense. A though just struck me here- slightly 30,000 tickets sold at Rs 2750 or Rs. 1650 each. That's somewhere in the ballpark of 66,000,000 or about 6.6 crores which were poured into DNA coffers.

Assuming they had all that money in their accounts atleast a week before the event and further assuming that they'll take atleast a week to refund the money, how much interest is generated on 6 crores in 2 weeks?
Old 29th October 2011, 23:34   #104
BHPian

The equipment arrived in Bangalore from Delhi on Saturday morning. So, the concert still seems ON.
Old 30th October 2011, 04:07   #105
BHPian

Great going Bangalore, chances of showers likely, so I am carrying small plastic pouches to hide my wallet and cell just in case. Towel and a pair of fresh cloths in the car will be nice. Since I am wearing glasses, it would be prudent to carry a glass cleaner in a sachet. I am so glad to get my new glasses last night, all that is required is to get Hetfield in the crosshair.

Heard that the organizers got the permit to serve booze, be sober or get someone to drive you back safe.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks