Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 11:14   #1741
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Football Thread

My issue is with officiating inconsistency.

If a referee decides to go purely by the rulebook irrespective of the occassion, I can respect that. If he wants to consider the enormity of the occassion into his decision-making, I'm fine with that too.

What doesn't sit well with me, is playing both sides of it.

Was the incident a penalty? On pure technicality, yes. But if that's how he wanted to officiate the game, he should've booked and probably sent off a few Madrid players for repeated diving as simulation is a punishable offence technically too. Ronaldo probably wouldn't be on the pitch to take the penalty if the entire game was officiated 'technically'.

I didn't want players sent off because it would've ruined the occassion, but then it was ruined ultimately anyway.

Want to be brave, be so across the board, not picking and choosing moments for maximum impact. If the referee is a talking point after a game, you know you got it wrong.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:20   #1742
BHPian

Too many times atrocious decisions in PL are ignored by FA. Such frequent mistakes were punished with demotions to Championship and lower leagues earlier. Don't think that is being implemented seriously anymore. On top of it, top referees like Howard Webb and Mark Clatternburg have either retired or moved on. In Mark's case, he was frustrated by the lack of action towards improving refereeing in general and later quit. These movements have contributed to the drop in quality.

Yesterday's RM-Juve referee, Michael Oliver, is supposed to be the top referee in England today. I can recollect some big games he officiated where he made himself a commanding presence. Most of his decisions were consistent and laudable. He usually allows the game to flow instead of disrupting it. So seeing him yesterday was kind of surprising. May be the prevailing quality in PL has rubbed off on him.

Last edited by strawhat : 12th April 2018 at 13:22.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:20   #1743
BHPian

I didn't find there to be any instances of simulation in the match.
For me, simulation is when there is no touch and you go down. Yes, players do exaggerate when they have been slightly roughed up by the defenders, but that, I think, started when many referees wouldn't go by the rulebook and allow fouls to go unpunished if the aggreived player didn't go down in pain.
In nearly all the fouls given in this match, there were instances of illegal tackle no matter how soft they were.
The way I see it, every foul, whether it ends up hurting the other player or not, should be given. If you, as a defender, fail to get the ball and end up blocking the run of the attacker, no matter how small the touch, should be given as a foul.
I think, the referee was punishing such soft fouls throughout the game, so, I don't think he was that inconsistent throughout the match.
One should also notice, that until that penalty, neither coach or the fans had any issue with the refereeing.
I specifically watched many after match shows on Youtube and not even one of the hosts, who were footballers themselves, had any doubt regarding whether it was a penalty or not. Everyone agreed that it was a soft penalty, but not one questioned whether it was a penalty or not.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:53   #1744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I didn't find there to be any instances of simulation in the match....

Simulation is broadly defined (Law 12, Laws of the Game) as 'attempts to deceive the referee', pretending to have been fouled is just one aspect of it.

There were multiple instances just in yesterday's game where the ref asked Ronaldo to get back on his feet and play on (a couple in the Juve box, no less), after he'd gone down theatrically looking for a foul when there wasn't one. Asensio taking flight after appearing to hit a Juve player with his trailing leg, Carvajal acting like his jaw was broken when there was minimal contact, I forget who it was that got Lichtsteiner(?) booked. Not sure if we watched the same game if you think there was no simulation.

When one does it as repeatedly as Ronaldo, ironic considering he's probably the last footballer in the world who needs it, there should be consequences irrespective of his status.

Diving should've been stamped out when it started, and Ronaldo arguably took it mainstream, it's reached a point where honest footballers who don't dive like they're shot by a sniper at the least bit of contact don't get decisions in their favor. You're right about that, but it's something football should be ashamed of and try aggressively to correct, not accept as a cost of playing in the modern era.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th April 2018 at 14:21.
Old 13th April 2018, 11:55   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Was the incident a penalty? On pure technicality, yes..
That was a clear penalty, you cannot push a player controlling the ball from behind inside the penalty area. It should have been given in any game and at any point.

Regarding Buffon send off. I would agree with that too. I don't know about others but among the first rules that was told to us and almost everytime before any game, was don't touch the referee (and this was inter college games). And he pushed the referee twice.
Old 13th April 2018, 13:06   #1746
BHPian

Just as I had expected. Arsenal always make sure they make life really difficult for themselves before scraping through. The heart-in-the-mouth moments never cease. How do we hope for a comfortable victory in these situations for once.

CSKA weren't really threatening as such. The crosses their wingers and full backs were putting in were enough to cause chaos. 3 man defense just doesn't work when you have players like Mustafi. Only after the tactical switch to back 4 did Arsenal recover. Elneny's worth as a squad player was evident in this game. After moving back into midfield he made some brilliant box-to-box runs. The reverse pass to Welbeck for the first goal stood out. It was Ozil'esque. So sublime. That goal settled the nerves and after that it was Arsenal's experience that showed in the way they controlled rest of the game.

Atletico is the team I'd want Arsenal to avoid. I am not very confident they can beat them over two legs. Would rather face them in the final. CL hopes are totally pinned on these three games now. Also the chance at winning a European title (Arsene's first) means so much.
Old 13th April 2018, 13:25   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Just as I had expected. Arsenal always make sure they make life really difficult for themselves before scraping through. The heart-in-the-mouth moments never cease. How do we hope for a comfortable victory in these situations for once.

CSKA weren't really threatening as such. The crosses their wingers and full backs were putting in were enough to cause chaos. 3 man defense just doesn't work when you have players like Mustafi. Only after the tactical switch to back 4 did Arsenal recover.

I think it was the other way around. Arsenal started with a back 4 and Wenger said post match that after bringing on Chambers and switching to a back 5 was when they were comfortable.

Elneny and Wilshere started as part of the midfield base of 2, with the 4 in front of them all rotating.
Old 13th April 2018, 14:00   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I think it was the other way around. Arsenal started with a back 4 and Wenger said post match that after bringing on Chambers and switching to a back 5 was when they were comfortable.
That's correct. Arsenal indeed started with a back four. Chambers replaced Wilshere.
Old 13th April 2018, 14:35   #1749
Team-BHP Support

There aren't (m)any boring European games this year, are there?
Old 13th April 2018, 16:18   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Atletico is the team I'd want Arsenal to avoid. I am not very confident they can beat them over two legs. Would rather face them in the final.
There you go! What a way to jinx my team. The prospect of facing Atletico Madrid twice has me salivating in anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There aren't (m)any boring European games this year, are there?
Yup. The knockout rounds especially have dished out thrilling matches.

Last edited by strawhat : 13th April 2018 at 16:23.
Old 18th April 2018, 07:29   #1751
BHPian

Watched the Celta Vigo vs FCB game earlier today and I'm really dejected to see the latter stoop so low in presenting quality game. The unbeaten streak is still there just by a matter of luck IMHO. Even the offence of the underdog sides are finding FCB's defense a joke. And as for FCB's offence, there's just one tactic now, pass the ball to Messi and pray for a goal, and he's fatigued as hell lately. I really dunno where this team will end up if things go on like this. Velverde as well as the team management should consider this 'fumbling in the dark' nature of the team seriously and do something about it.
Old 18th April 2018, 12:15   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Watched the Celta Vigo vs FCB game earlier today and I'm really dejected to see the latter stoop so low in presenting quality game. The unbeaten streak is still there just by a matter of luck IMHO. Even the offence of the underdog sides are finding FCB's defense a joke. And as for FCB's offence, there's just one tactic now, pass the ball to Messi and pray for a goal, and he's fatigued as hell lately. I really dunno where this team will end up if things go on like this. Velverde as well as the team management should consider this 'fumbling in the dark' nature of the team seriously and do something about it.
With no pressure of CL and League title almost done, Valverde should try to experiment his formations and players for the next year. Give Coutinho and Dembele more time and try them out in various formations. Iniesta will not be there for long and that will be a big blow for their mid field.
Old 20th April 2018, 15:30   #1753
BHPian

https://www.arsenal.com/news/merci-arsene

Out of nowhere!

This is really the end of an era for Arsenal football club. The greatest manager in the clubs history. One of the reasons I became a huge fan of Arsenal.

This decision was long overdue though. I really hope this ends bitter vitriol directed towards him. The final few games should be about tributes and the players should play for him at least from now as they owe him their careers. Win the Europa League and send him off on a high. The least he deserves. Massive respect and bon jour Sir. Arsene who?

#OneArseneWenger

Last edited by strawhat : 20th April 2018 at 15:36.
Old 20th April 2018, 16:22   #1754
Senior - BHPian

End of an era at Arsenal. Though am not Arsenal fan but I am a big Arsene fan. He is a big reason for Sir Alex' success at United, the club I support . He brought new ideas to Premier league and raised the standards of the game. Sir Alex had to play catch up with him when he arrived on the scene and this helped him create one of his greatest sides in that 99 side. Similarly Mourinho's arrival raised the bar further and Sir Alex again matched up to him and in the process created his greatest side, the 2008 team. I wish Guardiola had arrived in the Premier league while Sir Alex was still there. Maybe the challenge of matching upto Pep might have driven Sir Alex into creating an even greater team, a team that could have gone down as one of greatest in history.

Anyway I think it's a big day for arsenal. They can look forward to life without Arsene. He is one of the all time managerial greats. Hope he has a great life in retirement. I'd now wish Arsenal can win the Europa league. That would be a great sending off of their greatest manager.

Last edited by joslicx : 20th April 2018 at 16:32.
Old 20th April 2018, 16:41   #1755
Senior - BHPian

That really came out of nowhere.

He is the reason I am a fan of this club. As a young boy, it was a bit amusing for me to learn that the club is not named after him. And then I got used to Wenger Ball.

All I can say is Thank You Arsene!

Amy sums it all up really well. Arsène Wenger: Arsenal’s miracle worker who lost his touch but kept his values

And I totally agree with her. Act One of his story will be remembered more than Act Two. Maybe the stadium will get named 'The Wenger' in the future. Who knows?

All I know is that I am going to miss him. His principles, his quotes and wits, his grace, his attachment, his football...

Hope the fans and the boys can give him a proper send off in the coming days.

COYG!

Most Viewed