Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 09:04   #1846
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

First all English Finals since 2008. Cant wait till the 1st of June. And looks like Kane will be fit to play the finals in Madrid.
Old 9th May 2019, 13:29   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
First all English Finals since 2008. Cant wait till the 1st of June. And looks like Kane will be fit to play the finals in Madrid.
And it could be all English finals in both European competitions depending on tonights Europa League results. When was the last time this happened?

Also this clearly indicates how competitive PL really is. PL representatives have tremendously improved their performances in Europe. Not long ago they were looking down the barrel with their Spanish and German counterparts dominating the scene. At one point it looked as if PL is going to lose the 4th CL spot to Italy's Serie A based on coefficient ranking.
Old 9th May 2019, 14:03   #1848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Fantastic football, two nights in a row.
Wonderful..! The last few minutes and the raw emotions after that - two classic European nights indeed
Old 12th May 2019, 21:54   #1849

Well City have finally clinched the Premier League. Liverpool finished the season with 97 POINTS to land up 2nd. If they lose the UCL final too, it would be insane
Old 15th May 2019, 09:55   #1850
BHPian

"Diego Maradona" will premiere at Cannes next week. From the maker of Senna and Amy, this documentary will show the ups and downs of the football legend.

Can't wait to watch.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:24   #1851
BHPian

Was surprised to see UEFA pick Baku for the final, it's not a secret that Mkhitaryan has problems playing there ( he also couldn't play there, during a previous match there, in the group stages, if I remember correctly) it's like UEFA wanted Chelsea to win, and win they did.

Also it's nice, for once, to have finals not dominated by Spanish teams. As a Liverpool fan, was terribly gutted about the PL loss, perfect chance to redeem the season on 2nd May, pretty confident Liverpool will take the cup. YNWA!
Old 30th May 2019, 10:33   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Was surprised to see UEFA pick Baku for the final, it's not a secret that Mkhitaryan has problems playing there ( he also couldn't play there, during a previous match there, in the group stages, if I remember correctly) it's like UEFA wanted Chelsea to win, and win they did.
The decision to host the final in Baku was taken in Sep 2017. Agree that UEFA would have known the potential issue of Armenian players playing (or not playing) in Baku. But still, they must have thought of expanding the popularity of the league by playing these finals in newer countries.
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:15   #1853
BHPian

Champions of Europe!!
You'll Never Walk Alone
Attached Thumbnails
The Football Thread-screenshot_20190602101141.png  

Old 20th June 2019, 23:57   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Any of you watching/following the Women's World Cup?

Thoughts on the celebrations by the US team even after thulping Thailand 13 - 0?
Old 21st June 2019, 02:04   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any of you watching/following the Women's World Cup?

Thoughts on the celebrations by the US team even after thulping Thailand 13 - 0?
I am following (not watching) the world cup. Some pretty good games atleast from the scoreline. England women's team are playing good as are the US.

Coming to the US vs Thailand game, I am ok with the team celebrating goals even if it came against minnows and also with a big margin. Its a very big stage for everyone involved and a first for many so let them celebrate it.

P.S : I didn't watch the game so if the celebration was very brazen and very in your face kind, than I don't think it was needed.
Old 21st June 2019, 19:12   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
P.S : I didn't watch the game so if the celebration was very brazen and very in your face kind, than I don't think it was needed.
Hahaha....yeah had a few arguments on the nature of the celebrations with people here...partisan crowd though LOL
Old 12th August 2019, 15:22   #1857
BHPian

EPL Gameweek 1 is over, yet no discussions here?

I could manage to watch the New Castle v Arsenal and parts of Manchester United v Chelsea matches only.

Even though I was a bit apprehensive seeing the Arsenal line-up, my fears were put to rest once the game progressed. The goal took a while to arrive, but when it did, it was such a cool finish by Auba. Good work done by AMN to intercept the poor pass and provide a peach of a ball to put away. Overall, it was so good to experience an away win with bonus clean sheet; this has been such a rare event for a while now. A good transfer season for Arsenal, personally means a lot of anticipation for this season.

I though Chelsea were playing okay till they gave away the penalty. They were let down by awful defending, the individual mistakes punished severely. Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount looks promising but it was not the right game for them to be given a debut start.

Pogba looks a completely different player since his game against Cardiff last season.

Hope to see a thrilling season of football this time. Cheers

Last edited by dragntailonfire : 12th August 2019 at 15:23. Reason: Grammar
Old 12th August 2019, 15:38   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Even though I was a bit apprehensive seeing the Arsenal line-up, my fears were put to rest once the game progressed.
My fears regarding Arsenal haven't been put to rest yet. The defence line up looks pathetic! Our best defender is Sokratis, who I don't think is a world class centre half. Callum Chambers was only good enough to play for Fulham last season, who leaked in 81 goals last season. David Luiz is well past his prime, however his vast experience could come in handy. Maintland Niles is not a genuine defender, Hector Bellerin is forever injured! Less spoken about Mustafi, the better!

I'm predicting a sixth place finish this season.
Old 12th August 2019, 15:43   #1859
BHPian

Is anyone game for creating/joining a fantasy football/draft league?
Old 12th August 2019, 16:16   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'm predicting a sixth place finish this season.
Even though our defense isn't still up to the mark, it's not as poor as last season's. We bought a quality left back and an experienced CB in Luiz who also possesses a great eye for a pass. Holding is also making a comeback. Sokratis/Luiz + Holding will be our first choice CB pairing. Chambers is OK against many opponents. Even Monreal can be a decent backup CB. We have better personnel now. I am a little hopeful.

But it's on the other end that we can seriously hurt teams. If our old defensive problems resurface, then there is a not-so-secret strategy which we can play, outscore the opposition. With such a powerful attack I think that is possible

Last edited by strawhat : 12th August 2019 at 16:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks