Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 10:59   #1906
BHPian

Re: The Football Thread

And the unbeaten run is in shatters. This was coming in the West ham match as well but narrowly averted a loss at home.

Players taking it too easy, lack of training whatever it is, the team hasn't quite been the same after the break.

And on top of all that, God awful Lovren had to start in this match.
If i remember the statistics, every PL game that VVD has lost had Lovren beside him at the start of the match Lovren is the remnant of the pre-Klopp banter era, why is he still in the team.

Full credits to Watford, they took complete advantage of our confusion especially the second goal, a mistake from Trent.

Last edited by SaiSW : 1st March 2020 at 11:04.
Old 1st March 2020, 12:37   #1907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
And the unbeaten run is in shatters. This was coming in the West ham match as well but narrowly averted a loss at home...
Had to happen at some point, and can be a positive as in it gets a monkey off their backs. They can now play to simply win again.

The real problem catalyst was the forced changes in midfield. Both fullbacks pushing up needs a midfielder willing to tirelessly drop back & cover, which the much-maligned Henderson does excellently, but neither Wijnaldum nor Oxlade-Chamberlain can match. Fabinho is still easing back in and trying to find his passing range. Lovren doesn't have the legs anymore, Matip wouldn't be much better either, plus he tends to dribble forward a lot leaving van Dijk covering alone.

Alexander-Arnold is a great attacking fullback but still a poor one defensively. Delofeu, before his injury, ghosted past him a couple time like he wasn't there. Robertson is a far better defender on the other flank who knows how to drag an attacker wide away from the box, Trent usually gets nutmegged.

None of what happened yesterday was a surprise. Liverpool's defence doesn't like pacy wingers running at them (Wolves always cause them trouble, Sheffield this season too). More teams are figuring that out, Klopp will have to find solutions.

P.S. Hardly a disaster. Assuming Man City win their game in hand, Liverpool will still be more than six wins clear. Champions League is another story entirely. Simeone is a wily fox, his side won't play open football that's right up Klopp's alley.

P.P.S. Sarr and Doucouré will soon have bigger teams knocking Watford's doors to prise they away.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st March 2020 at 13:01.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 13:00   #1908
BHPian

Does anyone follow Bundesliga over here?
Old 1st March 2020, 14:02   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The real problem catalyst was the forced changes in midfield.
What we need is a creative midfielder like Coutinho who can make incisive passes and has the technical ability to cut inside teams like Atletico and either provide chances or take a shot.

Against Atletico, we were constantly running into a brick wall. Simeone abandoned the wings, gave it to us and packed the central section of the field, something which I guess they weren't expecting.

Wijnaldum is decent but nowhere near as good as Coutinho, Keita is too inconsistent and Henderson is more of a defensive midfielder, like you said.

We desperately need a world class creative attacking mid like de bruyne or Coutinho. Maybe de bruyne is a bit out of budget but considering City won't have European football for the next two seasons, maybe he will be interested in new opportunities.
Old 1st March 2020, 14:57   #1910
BHPian

Quote:

And on top of all that, God awful Lovren had to start in this match.
I am always nervous if I see his name on the team sheet. With VVD by his side, he did have some decent games, but there is always a mistake in him. If Matip is fit, can't see how Lovren starts ahead of him.
Anyway, it had to end and I am glad the winning streak wasn't ended by someone like a man u or city. Now just get the job done without unnecessary pressure like going the season unbeaten etc. Hope some of the youngsters like Curtis Jones gets first team chances now
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 15:11   #1911
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday we got a new TV and the installer asked me what will be the scoreline tonight. I said 3-0; my prediction was for the other way, but woke up to see the same scoreline and a Watford win

This was to end, and we will see how it goes with Bournemouth next.
Old 1st March 2020, 15:42   #1912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What we need is a creative midfielder like Coutinho who can make incisive passes and has the technical ability to cut inside teams..
He and Firmino won't fit in the same side anymore, and Coutinho will also enforce a system change because he doesn't drop deeper when needed or do the legwork, that Klopp's system would demand.

What Liverpool could actually do with, is a holding midfielder who can ping a good diagonal or through pass, and protect the back 4 when the fullbacks run forward. Fabinho was getting there before he got injured, and is still struggling a bit. I'd keep patience with him.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st March 2020 at 15:43.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 22:26   #1913
Senior - BHPian

So the Invincibles are still unbeaten. But TBH, I think it is a good breather for Liverpool. Now they can concentrate on playing well and the CL and the PL. Not a big fan of Troy Deeney but man!

And Wolves are doing so well. That match against Spurs was just awesome. Good finishing. Hope they make it to the CL next season.
Old 2nd March 2020, 22:33   #1914
Senior - BHPian

So the Invincibles are still unbeaten. But TBH, I think it is a good breather for Liverpool. Now they can concentrate on playing well and the CL and the PL. Not a big fan of Troy Deeney but man!

And Wolves are doing so well. That match against Spurs was just awesome. Good finishing. Hope they make it to the CL next season.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:39   #1915
BHPian

Another loss proves that there is something seriously wrong. Fabinho ( and I hate to say this ) has become now more of a liability than an advantage.

With Henderson out, Klopp needs to change to a 4231 double pivot to be able to return to form. Needs to give more cover to fabinho incase he is involved in any more goofups. Milner alongside will work.

It's double pivot or nothing, in my opinion. It's a necessity now not an option. Defence needs more cover.
Old 26th June 2020, 03:00   #1916
BHPian

English Champions! The wait was long enough. Nothing but respect for Klopp, the Legend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Football Thread-20200626_025449.jpg  

SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 10:25   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
English Champions! The wait was long enough. Nothing but respect for Klopp, the Legend.
Like every other Man Utd fan, I hate to say this. But congrats to Liverpool for the league title. They have been phenomenal all season. Expected a bit more from Pep and his team. Hopefully United will be back up there sooner. Already Bruno is making a difference and with a few quality additions, a title challenge will not be far away.
ask_017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 10:43   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Like every other Man Utd fan, I hate to say this. But congrats to Liverpool for the league title. They have been phenomenal all season. Expected a bit more from Pep and his team. Hopefully United will be back up there sooner. Already Bruno is making a difference and with a few quality additions, a title challenge will not be far away.
Liverpool is long out of banter fc time, United, as you said with addition of players like Bruno, will be lifted out soon. But arsenal is done. Only club in recent times, which has gone from banter fc to mid tier club. I don't even know if they'll finish in top 10 let alone qualify for Europe. No offense to any arsenal fans here, I'm just sad that a club like arsenal is sinking to such depths.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:38   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
I'm just sad that a club like arsenal is sinking to such depths.
True that, evidenced by the recent handing out contract extension to players like David Luiz, which is a poor decision as per general consensus.

Next season hope United will be there as contenders along with City, Jose with Spurs, Chelsea with Timo Werner joining them. Don't think Leicester will be there next season as challengers. Teams to watch out for will be Everton, Wolves.
Old 26th June 2020, 18:00   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Liverpool is long out of banter fc time, United, as you said with addition of players like Bruno, will be lifted out soon. But arsenal is done. Only club in recent times, which has gone from banter fc to mid tier club. I don't even know if they'll finish in top 10 let alone qualify for Europe. No offense to any arsenal fans here, I'm just sad that a club like arsenal is sinking to such depths.
Agree about Arsenal. But I think Arteta is the right man for the job. After the shambles that was the previous guy (don't even want to use his name), this was expected of Arsenal. This season is done. Will be one more year and if Arteta, doesn't perform..............

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks